FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What one should look for in "a Coach"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 1:23pm
Obviously all of the abovementioned require excellent communication.
Back to table tennis...
Sponsored Links

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Obviously all of the abovementioned require excellent communication.

+1. I also believe there are different levels of coaches. Once the student is ready for the next level, the coach needs to prepare and hand off the student to a higher level coach.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 2:52pm
I don't think that a coach has to be at 2650 level. Not at all. Actually all coaches here in MA (that I know of) have no USATT rating whatsoever. They coach a lot and they do not have time for training. They, probably, also do not have any desire to go and play tournaments - they are fed up with competition play from first 20-30 years of their lives.

However, their coaching level is no doubt extremely high. They are very knowledgeable, they see your problems right away, they understand very quickly what your limitations are, what you can and what you cannot do, etc. You will never hear one of them telling a 50-year old overweight "student" that he needs to do a Falkenberg drill to work on his footwork... that's what I (in person) heard one of alleged coaches tell a guy in another club (somewhere else).

Also good coach has to be patient, has to set proper, achievable goals etc etc. Ideally he would be able to come to the tournaments with you - but that is unheard of in New England (unless the tournament happens to be taken place in his club).
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by BizLawProf BizLawProf wrote:

Anyone want this guy coaching your kids?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kr24G8jQpM

Well, if you want them to do what it takes to win....

Srsrly that looks like some of the little league parents.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I don't think that a coach has to be at 2650 level. Not at all. Actually all coaches here in MA (that I know of) have no USATT rating whatsoever. They coach a lot and they do not have time for training. They, probably, also do not have any desire to go and play tournaments - they are fed up with competition play from first 20-30 years of their lives.

However, their coaching level is no doubt extremely high. They are very knowledgeable, they see your problems right away, they understand very quickly what your limitations are, what you can and what you cannot do, etc. You will never hear one of them telling a 50-year old overweight "student" that he needs to do a Falkenberg drill to work on his footwork... that's what I (in person) heard one of alleged coaches tell a guy in another club (somewhere else).

Also good coach has to be patient, has to set proper, achievable goals etc etc. Ideally he would be able to come to the tournaments with you - but that is unheard of in New England (unless the tournament happens to be taken place in his club).
I think the falkenberg drill would be good for a over weight 50yo or anyone , you just set the pace to thier ability? it's a better drill than always doing forehand to forehand which just dosn't happen in games
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

I think the falkenberg drill would be good for a over weight 50yo or anyone , you just set the pace to thier ability? it's a better drill than always doing forehand to forehand which just dosn't happen in games

I agree.

If player is not used to the drill (no matter age), super fast pace is just silly.
Rather build up momentum, and even give the ball some arc too.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

I agree.

If player is not used to the drill (no matter age), super fast pace is just silly.

I like falkenberg a lot; i tend to agree and disagree with jimt at the same time:
it is close to impossible to have a correct falkenberg drill without a quick pace; slow pace for fatt students in that drill is only possible when the coach is feeding; but then the point of the drill is kind of ruined Confused as the cycle gets broken into pieces and we have not the desired rhythm; but imo it is still good to build the drill into the person's muscle memory and go up in speed from there.
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2013 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Do the prospective coach's "sportsmanship" & "character" count for anything beside the minimum skill level? Or, they are non-factors.

For kids, I would put Character as a must. I wouldn't hire coaches who someday teache "here's how to cheat" or "to win at all cost". I want my kid to play fair so a coach must be a role model.

Must be able to make my kid understand "why you need to do this" and how to adjust things". Kids must be able to think and adjust when things don't go exactly like in lesson. If kids can do this, in the future they will find ways to come back after being down 0-2 or 0-3.
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 4:26am
What if the kids are dumb? I've been told that kids are pretty dumb and that's why they teach simple things in lower grades.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

What if the kids are dumb? I've been told that kids are pretty dumb and that's why they teach simple things in lower grades.

This post reminds me of one other thing you should look for that is obvious but needs mentioning.  A coach for your kids should actually like kids.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

I agree.

I like falkenberg a lot; i tend to agree and disagree with jimt at the same time:
it is close to impossible to have a correct falkenberg drill without a quick pace; slow pace for fatt students in that drill is only possible when the coach is feeding; but then the point of the drill is kind of ruined Confused as the cycle gets broken into pieces and we have not the desired rhythm; but imo it is still good to build the drill into the person's muscle memory and go up in speed from there.

By the same token, when they can do Falkenberg at slow pace 'forever' with good balance they are on the way to being good players
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
BizLawProf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BizLawProf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by AgentHEX AgentHEX wrote:

Originally posted by BizLawProf BizLawProf wrote:

Anyone want this guy coaching your kids?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kr24G8jQpM

Well, if you want them to do what it takes to win....

Students of those type of coaches usually don't win.  They may reach a fairly high level based on their coach's take-no-prisoners attitudes, but they oft plateau and never achieve greatness.  Of course, in the movie, that coach's star didn't win, the kindly coach's pupil won the big tournament.  I know it's just a movie, but it contains a truth: more often than not if kids learn that winning at all costs is the goal, they'll lose proper perspective, put undue pressure on themselves, and gag when the pressure's on.  I've seen it happen to talented kids in other sports.  Either that, or their sociopathic coach's attitude burns them out before they ever reach their primes.

Edited by BizLawProf - 08/31/2013 at 2:52pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 3:44pm
36-24-36 ...
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2013 at 4:05pm
A good coach has good communication skills, they can explain not only WHAT but WHY? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic