Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

USA Tournament

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SLS-101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLS-101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USA Tournament
    Posted: 09/05/2013 at 9:48pm
Announcing the

2013 MILLCREEK OPEN
                                     TABLE TENNIS TOURNAMENT
                                     October 19-20 in Erie PA USA

Twenty events on twenty tables in a large modern well-lit wood-floor gym and $3000 cash prizes make this an event you don't want to miss.  Accepting entries by e-mail as described below. Discounts available for those driving long distances.  Go to www.ErieTTC.com or view the entry blank in PDF format.
Sam Steiner
Sponsored Links

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 8:00am
what category I can register if I don't have US rating?
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 9:04am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I believe you can use your CAN rating initially.
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 9:15am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I don't think so ...
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 1:53pm

email the Tournament Director.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

email the Tournament Director.

I did. no answer yet
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 2:13pm

Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I don't think so ...

You can get your rating estimate by organizer, however, your Canada rating is even more accurate of your level (Submit your Canada rating, and they will tell you what event you can enter).  I know a few cadets, and Juniors enter US Tournament with their CAN rating.  You still need to register to get your US rating afterward.  I think the same goes for US players playing in Canada.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 2:15pm

Any of the Open events and any of the gender or age limited events if your age and/or gender meets the requirement.

You can enter but cannot advance in the rated events.

Edited by wturber - 09/06/2013 at 2:18pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Any of the Open events and any of the gender or age limited events if your age and/or gender meets the requirement.

and what about rating limit events?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 2:25pm

Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

and what about rating limit events?

I would look among the Canadian players who actively play USATT tournaments to find approximately same rating as yours - then see what their USATT ratings are. That will give you - on average - some idea on your future USATT  rating. Use that number to select your rating events.

It is rather important to properly select events for your first USATT tournament - you want your first assigned rating to be as high as possible; therefore I advise you to sign up for higher-rated events.

For instance, if your approximation of USATT rating gives you 1700 and you are thinking about signing up for U-1800 and U-2000, then my advice would be to sign up for U-2000 and U-2200 instead, unless your schedule won't allow that. Or if possible sign up for all three of those.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I would look among the Canadian players who actively play USATT tournaments to find approximately same rating as yours - then see what their USATT ratings are. That will give you - on average - some idea on your future USATT  rating. Use that number to select your rating events.

all canadian players I know that play in USATT tournaments have canadian rating much higher than me :)

It is rather important to properly select events for your first USATT tournament - you want your first assigned rating to be as high as possible; therefore I advise you to sign up for higher-rated events.

I won't be able to sign up for higher-rated event because of rating limit. for example for U2000 rating limit 2000
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 2:58pm

all canadian players I know that play in USATT tournaments have canadian rating much higher than me :)

I won't be able to sign up for higher-rated event because of rating limit. for example for U2000 rating limit 2000

1. Extrapolate

2. What do you mean you won't be able to sign up? you do not have a USATT rating, effectively making it zero! thus formally you can sign up for any rated event (0 is less than 2000 ain't it?). I gave you an advice as  to how to choose the rated events that will make most sense for you, taking into account your "most likely" future USATT rating.

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 3:17pm

2. What do you mean you won't be able to sign up? you do not have a USATT rating, effectively making it zero! thus formally you can sign up for any rated event (0 is less than 2000 ain't it?).

sorry. I mixed up
I can sign for any except open? for open it says: over 1450

I gave you an advice as  to how to choose the rated events that will make most sense for you, taking into account your "most likely" future USATT rating.

thank you. actually I was planing to sigh for few events ... or you recommend to sign just for highest event?

Edited by piligrim - 09/06/2013 at 3:18pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 3:27pm

2. What do you mean you won't be able to sign up? you do not have a USATT rating, effectively making it zero! thus formally you can sign up for any rated event (0 is less than 2000 ain't it?).

sorry. I mixed up
I can sign for any except open? for open it says: over 1450

I gave you an advice as  to how to choose the rated events that will make most sense for you, taking into account your "most likely" future USATT rating.

thank you. actually I was planing to sigh for few events ... or you recommend to sign just for highest event?

1. well, if you assume that your USATT rating is definitely not greater than 1350 (hundred below 1450) then probably you shouldn't sign up for the Open

2. That depends on your stamina. Ideally you should sign up for more events but if you know how many matches you can play per day without dropping your level, take that into account. Let's say your limit is 12. Then assuming you will play 3 matches in your RR groups, you could sign up for 4 events - because you will not be allowed to advance from RR groups so you are in an enviable position to know EXACTLY (!) how many matches you will play in any event.

Example: my limit is 8-9-10 for the 6 hours that I am usually there (let's say Westchester Open). But I can advance to SE stage, so I assume that in one event I will indeed advance and will play 1-2 more matches. That makes it hard to sign up for more than two events; but if I would ideally sign up for three I do this - when I am almost done with the first two and I know I am not advancing, I come up to the TD and sign up for the third event... just to get my money's worth and to make the trip count.

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 3:36pm

1. well, if you assume that your USATT rating is definitely not greater than 1350 (hundred below 1450) then probably you shouldn't sign up for the Open

I played here with somebody who told me that he is US1500. I won him and I felt I am much better. maybe I am around 1700 ...
question is, if they will let me to register to Open if I don't have any USATT rating and they require more than 1400?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 3:40pm

I played here with somebody who told me that he is US1500. I won him and I felt I am much better. maybe I am around 1700 ...
question is, if they will let me to register to Open if I don't have any USATT rating and they require more than 1400?

That's why you need to contact TD. But if your approximation is around 1700 then why not - sign up for it, they will gladly take your money. After all, I am sure that 1450 cutoff is, strictly speaking, only a guideline.

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2013 at 3:43pm

That's why you need to contact TD. But if your approximation is around 1700 then why not - sign up for it, they will gladly take your money. After all, I am sure that 1450 cutoff is, strictly speaking, only a guideline.

thank you. email to TD was sent 6 hours ago. still waiting for answer

SLS-101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLS-101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 4:32pm
Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your comments in this thread.  This is a difficult question and I have to decide each case separately.  Low-rated and junior Canadian players I have learned from experience are not rated consistently by the Canadian system.  These players I require to play as unrated therefore can't advance from the round robin stage.  In Mark's case he is not a junior and has a fairly consistent recent playing record.  If he has significant wins & losses against players who have played in our tournaments, I can get comments from those players and come up with a good estimated rating.  If I use this approach I will always estimate high to reduce the chance of getting "sandbagger" complaints.

A player without a current U.S. rating can enter as unrated in any events they like, they just cannot advance from the round robin.  In this case I will work with them to assign the most accurate rating I can determine so that they play in competitive events.

Of course, any non-rating limited events do not have any restriction on entering or advancing.

I also have a conversion spreadsheet from 2005 that is pretty out-of-date but still seems useful, and I also use that to make estimates.  I will post a hyperlink to that file on our club website www.ErieTTC.com.

Sam Steiner
Tournament Director

Sam Steiner
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 4:51pm
Thank you Sam for answer. I have few more players from my club who is interesting to come for this tournament
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic