Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Best oil for boosting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DHSHurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHSHurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best oil for boosting
    Posted: 09/10/2013 at 7:41am
What do you consider the best oil for boosting, and why? And do you use it for topsheet or sponge? 

I have used paraffin oil, olive oil, and sunflower oil. 
Sponsored Links

neutronbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 8:42am
Paraffin. It seems to absorb the fastest and stretch the sponge more.
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 8:54am
I don't use any oil whatsoever for boosting, because it is illegal.  Thumbs Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHSHurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 10:38am
Is it? It's just illegal when they detect it;)

Edited by DHSHurricane - 09/10/2013 at 10:39am
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 10:56am
I don't get it; if it is illegal why do manufacturers put some in their rubbers?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHSHurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 10:58am
Because it's not detectable I think 

Jun Mizutani complained about this; about factory tuned DHS and BTY rubbers 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 11:10am
really? what about the people saying ittf allows boosting only to manufacturers to help them boosting their sales? are they conspiracy theories crackheads?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHSHurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 11:13am
I don't know but you can be sure there is money involved;) 

Some say that it was the reason why Jun didn´t play for a few months..
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 11:37am
How about just using a booster for boosting? Falco Tempo Long worked pretty well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHSHurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 11:50am
expensive? 

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 12:08pm
I am tired of using P.O. Its properties vary from rubber to rubber; it takes work and discipline to get always the same final properties; it takes time; above all at my level I am not sure at all my 1800 game benefits from it relatively to the lost points due to variations from one boosting to another.

My TG3 is not hard enough to require boosting and a flexy not too hard blade will do much better for a medium hard rubber than any variable rubber boosting.

I am done with boosting however I do not want to be a party pooper so have fun.

edit: thanks to bluebucket for opening my second eye for good on this as I was going back and forth for a few years.

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 12:39pm
Dianchi is the best booster
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I don't get it; if it is illegal why do manufacturers put some in their rubbers?

They use the guise that it is a preservative/moisture used in the rubber to maintain for shelf/normal life ?

If that's the situation, why can't a player rejuvenate his rubber to extend/maintain its playing life ?
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 3:54pm
There's is NOTHING inherently wrong with boosting your rubbers. Especially if you are playing in non ITTF regulated events. If you are participating in an ITTF regulated event, then you are supposed to follow those rules, or risk getting disqualified. But who cares, because I don't play in official tournaments often. 
I have experimented with the Falco booster, and the effect was minimal. I suppose its a good way of extending the life of a rubber by a couple of months. I tried it on a three month old Tenergy 05. Like I said, I barely noticed a difference. Not that much faster, and not a significant improvement on spin. But the rubber felt somewhat rejuvenated. The sponge is supposed to get softer. Again, I barely noticed the difference.
Perhaps with other rubbers there will be more noticeable effects. 
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 4:09pm
Goo Gone from walmart is the best booster. Parafin oil is very total crap, plus it is very volatile and effects super short. Goo Gone is long lasting and not volatile and im pretty sure it will pass a test.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 4:11pm
all boosters make the rubber perform worse than non boosted rubber after the effect expires.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2013 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Goo Gone from walmart is the best booster. Parafin oil is very total crap, plus it is very volatile and effects super short. Goo Gone is long lasting and not volatile and im pretty sure it will pass a test.
goo gone is d-limonene based; it will not pass a voc test. d-limonene works great; I used it for a few years and even purchased a 5 gallon bucket of food grade limo (from citrus depot) to share with friends. The very strong and enjoyable smell is an immediate giveaway. The plus is that it is safe (you can put it in your food in small quantities). Some studies show it even has anti cancer properties but wrongly dosed it may induce other pbs; one link in between many more: http://www.essentialoilseeker.com/?p=1432
mertus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mertus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 4:29am
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

There's is NOTHING inherently wrong with boosting your rubbers. Especially if you are playing in non ITTF regulated events. If you are participating in an ITTF regulated event, then you are supposed to follow those rules, or risk getting disqualified. But who cares, because I don't play in official tournaments often. 
I have experimented with the Falco booster, and the effect was minimal. I suppose its a good way of extending the life of a rubber by a couple of months. I tried it on a three month old Tenergy 05. Like I said, I barely noticed a difference. Not that much faster, and not a significant improvement on spin. But the rubber felt somewhat rejuvenated. The sponge is supposed to get softer. Again, I barely noticed the difference.
Perhaps with other rubbers there will be more noticeable effects. 

I agree with you, Fulanodetal. Nobody really cares if you are playing on a non- ITTF sanctioned tournament or just playing for fun.Smile

Now back to the original topic...I have tried baby oil, paraffin oil, falco long boost and lastly the haifu seamoon booster. i noticed that baby oil has a minimal effect, paraffin oil does not last long (few days only) and unstable, falco long boost last more than 1 month but absolutely not 2 months (as opposed to the manufacturer's advise) and not sure about the longevity of seamoon yet. I have just started using seamoon for few weeks so it is a bit early to conclude. I actually preferred the Seamoon compared to other mentioned. I like how the sponge thicken and because of this you can really see the obvious tension of the topsheet. Tension is more pronounce compared to ESN factory tensioned rubbers. Also I reckon it is the closest to the speed glue effect during those speed glue heydays as you can really feel the sudden increase of spin, speed and sound. Hope its effect can last consistently atleast for 3 weeks.
Forehand: Haifu BWII RS
Backhand: Xiom Sigma II Pro
Blade: Butterfly Reygundo FL
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 5:13am
baby oil is good for japanese/german rubbers

i saw that you use seamoon ,but can you compare the speed/spin increase of huriicane vs Omega ?
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
mertus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mertus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 6:01am
Originally posted by t64t64t64 t64t64t64 wrote:

baby oil is good for japanese/german rubbers

i saw that you use seamoon ,but can you compare the speed/spin increase of huriicane vs Omega ?

Baby oil is ok for euro/ jap rubbers but i reckon either falco or haifu booster is much better. The result is much profound and you can obtain the speed glue effect faster i.e. ready to use after 24 hours.Smile

There is a massive jump of spin and speed on DHS H3 Prov specifically as sponge reacts very well to the booster. This was achieved for only 2 layers for the first time and 1 layer the next time the effect has diminished.
While in Omega IV Pro, sponge does not react that much and topsheet is a bit soft/flexible (compared to H3). I have tried boosting after 2 months from brand new. Probably you can achieve 100% of spin and speed when compared to a brand new sheet but may need more than 2 layers and much longer waiting time.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 6:39am
thank you 
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 8:26am
I prefer the Falco Long booster over the Haifu Seamoon, Falco Long seems to me to have a stronger effect and effects seem to last longer.
Shifter
weestenosis View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weestenosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 1:24pm
Anybody tried vitamin E liquid to boost the rubber??? It may be the best as it is not cancerous nor bad effect to pur health...
Butterfly Amultart cpen

My Feedback
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 2:42pm
falco lasts longest...for german/japanese rubbers i like waikidi's tuner
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
mertus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mertus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 4:39pm
Yes, I believe Falco long boost lasts longest probably twice of seamoon but definitely not more than 8 weeks atleast on the DHS H3 provincial #20 sponge. As you may know DHS #20 sponge provincial version is one of the best sponge that reacts really well with booster and it is very durable.
mertus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mertus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 4:48pm
By the way, did anyone of you guys have experienced some sort of topsheet "bubbling" or separation of topsheet from the sponge after few months of using falco or haifu booster?
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 4:55pm
yes, bubbled, torn easier, oxidized topsheet...all of the above...one of the issues is overtunnig the other is that it weakens the glue bond between sponge and topsheet
mertus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mertus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 5:15pm
Yes agree with you, emihet. Boosters definitely weakens the glue bond between sponge and topsheet due to tension.
I reckon on my case, it seems that DHS H3 topsheet (upgrade version) can not withstand the long term tension effect by boosters and after 3 months the pimples start to break down. I will be very happy if this rubber can survive for 6 months but that's not the case unfortunately...Cry
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 5:25pm
3 months is a very long time...i have had them buble in a couple of days of hard practice...some a couple of weeks...but most tuned rubbers don't last more then 4-8 weeks tops depending on the rubber
mertus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mertus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2013 at 5:55pm
Wow! So these boosters really shorten the rubbers' lifespan dramatically. Sometimes I just wondered if it is only me hitting the ball too hard on my forehand swing but not really...LOL But definitely the missus will not be very happy about this unfortunate booster consequence!Evil Smile

May I know what rubbers have you tried boosting? I have tried MArk V, tenergy, Donic F2, Acuda, Xiom Omega IV Pro, DHS H3, etc. But I have only experienced this bubbling on DHS H3 because probably this is my forehand rubber which is being battered most of the time. While the other euro/jap rubbers were on my backhand and most of them have an elastic topsheet that helps to neutralize the tension.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic