FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > Equipment > Equipment

Graphene in tt equipment ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Graphene in tt equipment ?
    Posted: 10/04/2013 at 11:09am
I wonder how long before we get a composite blade with graphene layers.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/tech/innovation/graphene-quest-for-first-ever-2d-material/index.html

Very strong, light and flexible, graphene seems to be the dream material to enlarge the sweet spot, adding speed while keeping flex up and weight down. It actually is the dream material for A LOT of applications.

It can also be so thin the 15% maximum overall thickness of non wood material in the blade will allow blade makers to use it as much as they want with as many (+1) thinner wood plies all sandwiching it without worrying about total blade weight following its add-on.

Even Janus' videos will find safe storage:
http://machineslikeus.com/news/graphene-based-discs-ensure-safe-storage Tongue

It's been talked about on the forum before:
mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60805
mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=57440

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2013 at 11:27am
I've got an even better (and/or more controversial suggestion) - let's make new balls from graphene :-) At least they'd be very high-tech ...
Imago View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2013 at 11:50am
My last racket was Youtek Graphene. Unfortunately, it has shared holes so breaks up easily in their vicinity.

So I prefer Innegra. It has very interesting kinetic properties.

fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2013 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

I've got an even better (and/or more controversial suggestion) - let's make new balls from graphene :-) At least they'd be very high-tech ...
ok you want to go there? how about including it somewhere in the sponge? in the topsheet? in between the 2? LOL
I am sure some people have thought about it before.

About your graphene ball: I wonder if it could be built around a mold only to heat the whole just enough to melt the molding material and let it leak through that temperature still resisting graphene.

I read:
"The thermal stability of graphene is extremely high, its melting temperature is possibly the highest in nature."

You are maybe onto something revolutionary and it might be the key to the new ball mess. Clap

sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2013 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

My last racket was Youtek Graphene. Unfortunately, it has shared holes so breaks up easily in their vicinity.

So I prefer Inegra. It has very interesting kinetic properties.

Did you pull too hard when you knotted off the string?
Imago View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2013 at 1:30pm
I can possibly pull no more than 30 pounds with syn and multi, much less with poly (now I've got a starting clamp). This particular racket is just one of the many illustration I have collected of misfortuned Heads. Mine was strung by Head stringers for free.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2013 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

ok you want to go there? how about including it somewhere in the sponge? in the topsheet? in between the 2? LOL
I am sure some people have thought about it before.

Wouldn't be legal.  Covering can only be rubber, sponge rubber, and adhesive.  Rubber is defined by its ability to stretch and restore its original shape.  Graphene only stretches 20% (and I'm not sure if that even applies reasonably to how it might be integrated with rubber compounds) and would not fit the definition
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Gambler Zebra Classic w/ Dr. Evil
sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2013 at 2:58pm
The 85% wood rule is really holding back blade technology. Imagine how thin and fast a blade could be made if it was 100% composite.

Just imagine how thick tennis frames would have to be if they were required to use 85% wood?
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2013 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by sweetstrike sweetstrike wrote:

The 85% wood rule is really holding back blade technology. Imagine how thin and fast a blade could be made if it was 100% composite.

Just imagine how thick tennis frames would have to be if they were required to use 85% wood?
graphene can be so thin and light a lot of it could be integrated in a blade in many layers without hitting the 15% maximum thickness. Actually unlike actual carbon plies, total thickness and weight of the graphene plies would probably not be a factor when the 2 figures reach a point where the blade becomes ridiculously stiff and uncontrollably fast. That would give so much room to blade makers to use kinds of wood that today are not appropriate for their goals; a faster and flexier Matsushita Pro Special that would weigh under 85 grams for example. The number of possibilities jump up so high suddenly.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2013 at 10:08pm
Strange they forgot to discuss TT stuff
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2013 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

TT uses are insignificant compared to graphene being used to make capacitors or other electronic devices.

Imago View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2013 at 12:20pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2013 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

TT uses are insignificant compared to graphene being used to make capacitors or other electronic devices.

Maybe, except this is a TT forum.
Pal42 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pal42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2018 at 11:41am
Iam getting slowly used to graphene being used pretty much anywhere but table tennis? Thats just awesome. :) On the other hand why not. I have already seen some sport equipment with graphene. For example skis. Graphene is really versatile material. For example check this blog about graphene.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2018 at 6:27pm
butterfly must be doing extensive research to make their blades more expensive.

player :hey its 600$ a blade
butterfly: its made of an advanced material ,buy it
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2018 at 9:25pm
Did anyone else notice that something on this page launches a swf file to download? (0N-LiWRA7RQ.swf - which prompts a warning message) - 

nm - it's imago's image

Edited by icontek - 01/11/2018 at 9:32pm
US1260.RC952 . OSP Ultimate II : Stiga Genesis M + Rasant
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic