Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Shoes: BTY or Mizuno?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2013 at 5:10pm
Asics Gel-rocket shoes was recommended in this forum in previous posts.

It is grippy, and will protect your knees, but it is bit heavier than
a real TT shoes. My comments are based on rocket 4 and 5, in which 5 is
slightly heavier than 4 but don't know version 6 (guess similar).

Sponsored Links

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2013 at 5:32pm
I wear ASICS Gel Rocket 6 and they are plenty grippy.  They have much more cushioning than a regular TT shoe, but weight goes with that.  I play mostly on tile over concrete, so I need the cushioning.  They also last a long time but take a while to break in. 

I have been told that ASICS makes the BTY Energy Force 12 or whatever, so it has the same Gel-type cushioning in a lower-profile shoe.  If I have an extra $144 USD maybe I will try a pair.  The Gel Rocket 6s are $54 on many websites.  
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2013 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

I wear ASICS Gel Rocket 6 and they are plenty grippy.  They have much more cushioning than a regular TT shoe, but weight goes with that.  I play mostly on tile over concrete, so I need the cushioning.  They also last a long time but take a while to break in. 

I have been told that ASICS makes the BTY Energy Force 12 or whatever, so it has the same Gel-type cushioning in a lower-profile shoe.  If I have an extra $144 USD maybe I will try a pair.  The Gel Rocket 6s are $54 on many websites.  

i'm curious of the weight of pair of asics rocket 6???
For comparison my mizuno wave medal in 42.5 (9.5) weights 15.6 oz.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2013 at 8:18pm
Asics Gel Rockets are grippy but are not as flexible as traditional TT shoes, but more cushion.  It depends on what you like and what kind of surface you play on.  I prefer flex myself, but play on something like Gerflor.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2013 at 9:07am
Asics Gel Rocket are my favourites. 
After a 3 month period with Mizuno Wave Drive I returned to Asics and my legs thank me every day.
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2013 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

After a 3 month period with Mizuno Wave Drive I returned to Asics and my legs thank me every day.
===============================

Thanks.
Just ordered a pair of ASICS Men's GEL-Rocket 6 Volleyball Shoes.
Grippy is more important to me.

skip3119
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2013 at 11:23am
Yeah, as the OP of this thread, I ended up purchasing a pair of asics volleyball shoes. Quite comfortable actually because of the cushioning.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2013 at 11:41am
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

Yeah, as the OP of this thread, I ended up purchasing a pair of asics volleyball shoes. Quite comfortable actually because of the cushioning.
=========================

Learned from this website that shoes for Volleyball and Badminton can also be used to play TT.
That sure will save money.
skip3119
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2013 at 2:38pm

MODEL?????
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2013 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

=========================

Learned from this website that shoes for Volleyball and Badminton can also be used to play TT.
That sure will save money.
No... that may let you find the right shoes for you, though...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2013 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

===============================

Thanks.
Just ordered a pair of ASICS Men's GEL-Rocket 6 Volleyball Shoes.
Grippy is more important to me.

========================================

ASICS Men's GEL-Rocket 6 Volleyball shoes just arrived.
Looks great, but has not worn the shoes to the club to play yet.

Weight (size 8):  10.5 Oz.
(Doesn't seem to be too heavy for me.)
Cost:  $56.38.

*** Just put the shoes on and walked inside the house - very comfortable, not heavy at all.
*** You don't need to worry about the weight of the shoes being too heavy.  Absolutely not too heavy.

Edited by skip3119 - 11/20/2013 at 9:42pm
skip3119
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2013 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by gnopgnipster gnopgnipster wrote:

A question which is not asked when shopping for table tennis shoes by most people is: Are those shoes good for me based on my weight? When you can answer the question then you can decide between Mizuno and Butterfly. If you are overweight then Mizuno Volleyball shoes are excellent. (Mizuno as a brand is a better quality shoe than BTY)

+100Wink
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
apex600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apex600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 4:36am

I’ve started playing tabletennis 6.5 years ago and used my old basket shoes the first year. They were heavy, much too high at the ankles for table tennis.

I then switched over to the Butterfly Energy Forde 3 top model (cost 115€). They are ultra light and provide a lot of grip but frankly I bought other shoes after a couple of years because they were not firm enough. Especially with my past in playing basketball, I was not getting enough support at my ankles. I was always afraid to twist my ankles. That eventually happened. I must say, I did not wear them out after 2.5 years. Not on the inside, not on the outside. The sole itself is an Asics light brown sole with gel.

I then switched to Ascics Gel Blade 4 which is I think a shoe also used for handball. These have been my shoes until now (3 years) now and the inner edges of the shoe soles have worn out . I could still use them but I loose grip sometimes (probably the way I push off sometimes, my legs are quite laterally placed so a lot of pressure on the inner sides/edges of the soles). The soles itself give quite a lot of grip but not the kind of grip you get from really sticky soles. I tested several tabletennis shoes in a store where they have polished concrete as floor. I tested a pair of new Asics blade 5 and I tested a pair of Yonex shoes. The yonex shoes did not slide at any attempt to put a lot of sideward pressure. The Asics however, were not as grippy and tended to slide a little bit which disappointed me at first. I almost bought the Yonex but started to wonder if tabletennis really requires that amount of grip if you have to move a lot from side to side. Yonex isn’t a tabletennis brand after all, it’s for badminton. They are more comfortable because badminton means more jumping so more shocks have to be absorbed. They might also be slightly too high at the ankles but far from being really too high.

Mizuno I have never tried them but the reviews on the internet look promising….

It will also depend on what floor you play on. If you play competition and or tournaments, the floor will always be different. Some floors already have so much grip that any shoe will be sufficient. Others are more slippy so you can’t really predict.

In my club, it’s a wooden floor with medium grip. A little bit of dust is enough to make it somewhat more slippery so good grip is quite important for me.

So I still have not decided...
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 9:07am
Originally posted by apex600 apex600 wrote:

I’ve started playing tabletennis 6.5 years ago and used my old basket shoes the first year. They were heavy, much too high at the ankles for table tennis.

I then switched over to the Butterfly Energy Forde 3 top model (cost 115€). They are ultra light and provide a lot of grip but frankly I bought other shoes after a couple of years because they were not firm enough. Especially with my past in playing basketball, I was not getting enough support at my ankles. I was always afraid to twist my ankles. That eventually happened. I must say, I did not wear them out after 2.5 years. Not on the inside, not on the outside. The sole itself is an Asics light brown sole with gel.

I then switched to Ascics Gel Blade 4 which is I think a shoe also used for handball. These have been my shoes until now (3 years) now and the inner edges of the shoe soles have worn out . I could still use them but I loose grip sometimes (probably the way I push off sometimes, my legs are quite laterally placed so a lot of pressure on the inner sides/edges of the soles). The soles itself give quite a lot of grip but not the kind of grip you get from really sticky soles. I tested several tabletennis shoes in a store where they have polished concrete as floor. I tested a pair of new Asics blade 5 and I tested a pair of Yonex shoes. The yonex shoes did not slide at any attempt to put a lot of sideward pressure. The Asics however, were not as grippy and tended to slide a little bit which disappointed me at first. I almost bought the Yonex but started to wonder if tabletennis really requires that amount of grip if you have to move a lot from side to side. Yonex isn’t a tabletennis brand after all, it’s for badminton. They are more comfortable because badminton means more jumping so more shocks have to be absorbed. They might also be slightly too high at the ankles but far from being really too high.

It will also depend on what floor you play on. If you play competition and or tournaments, the floor will always be different. Some floors already have so much grip that any shoe will be sufficient. Others are more slippy so you can’t really predict.

In my club, it’s a wooden floor with medium grip. A little bit of dust is enough to make it somewhat more slippery so good grip is quite important for me.

If I am not mistaken - Bty shoes are made by Asics to begin with. TT companies like Bty, Joola, Tibhar etc. know very little about shoe making, so they have someone else produce them with their logo.
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 11:21am
asics upcort at racuetballwearhouse.com 
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 11:31am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

TT companies like Bty, Joola, Tibhar etc. know very little about shoe making, so they have someone else produce them with their logo.

Just like a lot of them do with their rubbers and blades.

My vote goes for Yonex shoes!

Edited by Matt Pimple - 12/21/2016 at 11:44am
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
apex600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apex600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 11:32am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

If I am not mistaken - Bty shoes are made by Asics to begin with. TT companies like Bty, Joola, Tibhar etc. know very little about shoe making, so they have someone else produce them with their logo.

don't agree. I have both and butterfly is a different shoe. ok asics probably made it completely for butterfly. but thats about where it ends. the damping if the sole is the same. all the rest is different. cushioning, weight, fabric, shape of the sole, type of rubber used etc etc...
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 11:40am
I love my Mizuno wave bolt shoes.  They don't slip at all.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

asics upcort at racuetballwearhouse.com 

good find = does it work well?
apex600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apex600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 11:45am
I notice that the shoes with natural rubber soles provide the most grip generally.im leaning toward the wave medal. it looks so much like the gel blade shape and has the natural rubber sole
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 12:58pm

I notice that the shoes with natural rubber soles provide the most grip generally.im leaning toward the wave medal. it looks so much like the gel blade shape and has the natural rubber sole
haha, you should try the old fashion tt shoes from china.

Edited by Egghead - 12/21/2016 at 2:56pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
apex600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apex600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 1:05pm
hahahaha

The finish looks quite crappy. Probably will give blisters everywhere as well
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2016 at 1:30pm
Mizunos last forever, i have 3 year old mizuno court shoes that i have used quite roughly for squash,badminton and table tennis, and minus the rubber sole, there is no wear/tear.
akshayv View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akshayv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2018 at 2:19am

1.    I have wide feet and it is always difficult to find shoes that are comfortable, especially when buying them over the internet. Fortunately, these fit the bill quite well from the first wearing when I put them on and breathed a sigh of relief. Nice to know Orthofeet a shoe company I can depend on for future purchases.

Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2018 at 3:23am
If you are above 40 years old , Asics Gel Rocket 8. 
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 9:50am
All table tennis shoes are simply garbage, here are just some of my points:

Butterfly - Way overpriced, all the new ones have zero technology in them, they look silly with all the weird colors and feel like a running shoe more than a table tennis shoe - I hate how the tip of the shoes is not profiled low. Butterfly used to have great shoes but like 5 years ago when they partnered with asics. Another issue with butterfly is that they never have shoes in average US size 11.

Mizuno - Overpriced as well, the insole are horrible, the bottom of the shoes simply is gone within 6 months and you can see white tgrough the base non marking shoe bottom. They fill great on your foot, but for 100$ they don't last long enough and loose grip quickly. I have ones that are 6 months Drive 8 and they are like Drag racing slick tires!

Donic - always have problems with stitching, they simply fall apart withn 2-3 months or less (very bad quality), even the paint comes off from the design.

Tibhar - most of these shoes after few weeks stretch and feel way too big, and your foot moves on the inside.

There are other brands asics etc which can be purchased from japan, but none of them has 11 us size, they end with usually 28.0 japan which is like 10.5 or 10.

I simply don't know anymore what shoes to buy, its so hard to get a classic white shoes that would last long perform well etc. All the latest shoes have these retarded colors - especially butterfly...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic