FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Shoes: BTY or Mizuno?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shoes: BTY or Mizuno?
    Posted: 10/14/2013 at 2:49am
Which brand of tt shoes has the best quality and durability overall?  Mizuno or Butterfly, which particular model?  I've worn both Stiga and Donic shoes for the past few years, and they both don't last for too long, well under a year.  I've been doing some comparison between the two Mizuno and Butterfly brands, but still don't know which brand produces better pair of shoes in terms of grip, quality, and durability.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Edited by liulin04 - 10/14/2013 at 3:31am
Sponsored Links

Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 6:19am
Butterfly GEL or Asics.
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 2:29pm
The Mizuno shoes I have are grippy enough for me, but the stock insoles that come with them wear out very quickly.  The soles and exterior have held up very nicely though, and the shoes are very breathable.
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 2:51pm
Yonex! I know, they are Badminton shoes but they are the best I ever had. I bought them (SHB-56) in January and they still look like new without any signs of wear. Comfortable from the first practice and very grippy.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Yonex! I know, they are Badminton shoes but they are the best I ever had. I bought them (SHB-56) in January and they still look like new without any signs of wear. Comfortable from the first practice and very grippy.

I agree that Yonex shoes are the best when it comes to table tennis.  In fact, I used to wear them as well and they are extremely durable.  While they are good playing on hardwood floors, I don't think they are as good on matted floors because I worn it two weekends ago playing on a matted floor, and ended up hurting my ankle since the sole was too grippy.

I suppose it is best to wear Yonex on hardwood floors and regular tt shoes on matted floors.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

I agree that Yonex shoes are the best when it comes to table tennis.  In fact, I used to wear them as well and they are extremely durable.  While they are good playing on hardwood floors, I don't think they are as good on matted floors because I worn it two weekends ago playing on a matted floor, and ended up hurting my ankle since the sole was too grippy.

I suppose it is best to wear Yonex on hardwood floors and regular tt shoes on matted floors.
I never had the problems you reported on the matted floors with my Yonex. The SHB-56 work very well for me on any type of floor. Which Yonex did you have?
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 3:57pm
The high dollar Butterfly shoes are made by Asics I believe. Never owned a pair but I did have a pair of the Mizuno Wave Drive 5 and they only lasted about 6 months. I play mostly on the Gerflor and the right shoe on the inside from the big toe down started wearing thru. Another guy with same shoes had the same problem. I now have the Asics HyperBeat 2 and they seem to be holding up good. The Gerflor is very grippy,no sliding.But any of the top of the line TT shoes are good, I guess it depends on what kind of floor you play on and what your wallet can spend.
Shifter
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 4:14pm
as long as you buy Donic you should be good. I am absolutely done with donic shoes. I've bought 3 pairs over the last 10 years and they always tear on the side after a few months when the shoe has no tear anywhere else yet. That's a disgrace. They should have fixed that crap by now. I bought a pair 6 months ago against my good judgement and the ripped on the side again. I have to contact them and want a replacement. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 4:16pm
A question which is not asked when shopping for table tennis shoes by most people is: Are those shoes good for me based on my weight? When you can answer the question then you can decide between Mizuno and Butterfly. If you are overweight then Mizuno Volleyball shoes are excellent. (Mizuno as a brand is a better quality shoe than BTY)
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 5:19pm
Asics
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 5:25pm
Nike Air Jordan's.  Star

I bought them at a Nike outlet for half off and our club has a carpeted floor as it's in a church multipurpose sanctuary/gym room.  The shoes are light, well built, and a great fit for TT.  

It's gotta be the shoes!!!
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Goodah_Chunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goodah_Chunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 5:32pm
Sorry fellas but it's Yonex for me (SHB-102LTD).  It's low to the ground but it has enough padding that your knees will thank you for.  Very durable since it's designed to withstand the crazy lateral movements that's  associated with playing racquetball.   It's definitely a smidge heavier that TT shoes, from all those reinforcements and extra padding.  And of course, grippy as hell, doesn't matter if it's wood, linoleum, etc...
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 5:41pm

Which brand of tt shoes has the best quality and durability overall?  Mizuno or Butterfly, which particular model?  I've worn both Stiga and Donic shoes for the past few years, and they both don't last for too long, well under a year.  I've been doing some comparison between the two Mizuno and Butterfly brands, but still don't know which brand produces better pair of shoes in terms of grip, quality, and durability.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Mizuno shoes are designed for best performance.  Light weight, good grip, and excellent workmanship.
As for durability, you cannot have light weight best performance and the best durability in the same shoe.

Butterfly, stiga, and donic don't make their own shoes.  they have some factory make it and slap their label own it.  Hard to generalize about which brand is best, you probably have to consider price range and particular shoe model.
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 8:05pm
My Mizuno volleyball shoes last me a long time, considering I also play on cement/gravel most of the time and not just wooden courts. For the past few months though I've only been playing once a week for 4 hours.

The model is wave rally btw

Edited by davidwhang - 10/14/2013 at 8:06pm
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by davidwhang davidwhang wrote:

My Mizuno volleyball shoes last me a long time, considering I also play on cement/gravel most of the time and not just wooden courts. For the past few months though I've only been playing once a week for 4 hours.

The model is wave rally btw

+100!! Those have been my shoes for the past 7 years. (Eastbay.com)
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 8:44pm
Yonex!!!
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2013 at 9:20pm
I've been rocking those orange joola shoes, and they are the best pair I've ever had. I usually have mizuno, but those don't hold up a long time. I always rip through them. That's the price you will pay for such a light shoe. Durability goes down as weight goes down. The Joola shoes I have now are sturdier and just as nice. Plus, they're ballin'. 
raphyelrosby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raphyelrosby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 12:09am
for me asics are the most comfortable by far mizunos are great but asics are more comfortable ....add Dr scholls insoles and nothing compares.
Xiom Hayabusa ZX, Sigma II pro on FH, Vega Elite BH.

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 1:04am
Thank you all for yours comments and suggestions.  Originally I was thinking about going for a Yonex since Butterfly and Mizuno were too expensive, plus I had great experience with the Yonex brand.  But after checking out eastbay.com courtesy of John, I proceeded to ordering a pair of Asics for only $50, and three heavy duty 100% cotton jacket for only $10 each.  Total was only $88 for a pair of shoes and 3 nice warm thick jacket.  Perfect for the upcoming winter season. 

Thanks you guys!
Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 4:02pm
asics are good too! Thumbs Up
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 5:14pm
For someone in the U.S., you would have to pay $$$shipping costs to get mizuno tt or yonex badminton.
Best alternative here is volleyball shoes since they are common & competively priced.  I have some Nike volleyball that were geat - went thru 3 pairs in 10 years.  Mizuno and asics also make great volleyball shoes. Not all volleyball shoes are suitable, choose carefully.
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2013 at 5:33pm
The Joola X-Speed shoe which looks like the same sole of Mizuno Wave Drive 5, I think can be bought from U.S. Joola dealer for 79.95. A very nice looking shoe if your not hung up on a brand name.
Shifter
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2013 at 8:31am
for what its worth.  Ma Lin was noted for his knack of wearing thru the soles of tt shoes 

in 3 days. Not sure if those shoes were mizunos??
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2013 at 8:35am
Originally posted by pdotec pdotec wrote:

for what its worth.  Ma Lin was noted for his knack of wearing thru the soles of tt shoes 

in 3 days. Not sure if those shoes were mizunos??

I heard, the worse was a new pair every 2nd day.
This was in his prime and during a close training session (so they likely train more than us in terms of work like in 1 day compared t our one month).

It also gave team leader Huang a huge problem during a world tour event, and after that, management always prepare spares for players (especially Ma Lin) lol

So I guess Mizuno must be bad in terms of durablity or maybe not LOL
Most of the top player wear it (even if they are already contracted to other brands lol).
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2013 at 10:21am

For someone in the U.S., you would have to pay $$$shipping costs to get yonex badminton.
No sir, I bought my Yonex from an online Badminton store in California. I do not know the name anymore but could dig it up.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
pathfinderpro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pathfinderpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2013 at 2:45am
Hopefully this video I made will help.

pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 9:21am
Pathfinder Pro
Unfortunately it does not appear that any of the shoes you reviewed are available outside the U.K.
pathfinderpro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pathfinderpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 11:46am

Pathfinder Pro
Unfortunately it does not appear that any of the shoes you reviewed are available outside the U.K.

HI, the review was really of the Asics - the others were for comparison purposes only, particularly for those who use cross trainers or other types of sports shoes for table tennis. 

The Asics are available outside the UK.  Here are some links to various places that sell them - I found these after a quick google search so I can't vouch for the retailers

Zalando
http://www.zalando.de/asics-gel-hunter-2-indoorschuh-white-red-as141a04q-002.html

Contra
http://www.contra.de/product_info.php/language/en/info/p12121_Asics-Schuh-Gel-Hunter-II.html

Epong.gr
http://www.e-pong.gr/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=1112&category_id=40&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Shoeswo
http://www.olyshoe.com/asics-gelhunter-2-volleyball-shoes-blue-p-3211/?language=en

Some of the people at my club have seen the video and come up to me to say they use Asics - not just the Gel-Hunter 2's and they like them too.  Others still prefer a flatter soled traditional table tennis shoe.  I've also been told that Asics make the soles for Butterfly shoes but I'm not sure how true that is.

pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2013 at 10:07am

Thank you all for yours comments and suggestions.  Originally I was thinking about going for a Yonex since Butterfly and Mizuno were too expensive, plus I had great experience with the Yonex brand.  But after checking out eastbay.com courtesy of John, I proceeded to ordering a pair of Asics for only $50, and three heavy duty 100% cotton jacket for only $10 each.  Total was only $88 for a pair of shoes and 3 nice warm thick jacket.  Perfect for the upcoming winter season. 

Thanks you guys!

which model asics did you get?  Any reports on quality, comfort, grip?
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2013 at 12:04pm
Because our playing area is a bit slippery, would be interested in buying a pair of shoes that's grippy. Saw folks mentioned Yonex Shoes here.

A search in Amazon.com for Yonex Shoes, a whole bunch of them came up.  Don't know which one is very grippy.

Btw, an ASICS shoe also came up on the same screen.  The price appears to be lower, don't know if that shoe is very grippy.  If so, I will be interested in that ASICS shoe.  It is called:  

ASICS Men's GEL-Rocket 6 Volleyball Shoe.

Edited by skip3119 - 11/11/2013 at 12:10pm
skip3119
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic