Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tried to make serve faster but less spin now

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tried to make serve faster but less spin now
    Posted: 10/18/2013 at 1:51am
so recently i tried to make my serve faster but now it resulted in less spin and people can return it alot more my best serve pure back spin gets return more often then i would like, my pendulum gets return the most, though the backspin version gets return less but still its now possible for weak players to return my serve that they were not able to before. some people i play say that there are less spin in my serve now some say they are predictable.

how can i make my serve both fast and really spiny i know this is possible because one of my friends serve are fast but they have so much spin the ball disappear.  he does this alot with the pendulum serve the ball goes into my backhand and then kicks and disappear. and there is soo much spin that it makes me miss judge the distance. i would like to acquired something like that. PLEASE HELP!

im currenntly using bomb 729 FH donic Accuda s1 turbo, BH vega Euro, if that helps

Edited by boaspirit - 10/18/2013 at 1:53am
butterfly Timo Boll spirit

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
Sponsored Links

boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 10:02am
someone ? any one?

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 11:45am
Does this help from Pingskills?

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 7:08pm
I would add that you should hit the ball as low in its drop from the toss as possible and to try to get topspin on the ball.  I always try to hit the ball below net height. That means I have to use the power I'm putting into the ball to get the ball over the net height.  I think this gives me a bit more room to hit harder. The topspin "holds" the ball closer to the table allowing for a higher speed shot.  

The best example of both of these principles being applied is the video of the kid who hit that super fast revers-tomahawk serve. I think it went the rounds last year.

Edited by wturber - 10/18/2013 at 7:08pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by boaspirit boaspirit wrote:

so recently i tried to make my serve faster but now it resulted in less spin and people can return it alot more my best serve pure back spin gets return more often then i would like, my pendulum gets return the most, though the backspin version gets return less but still its now possible for weak players to return my serve that they were not able to before. some people i play say that there are less spin in my serve now some say they are predictable.

how can i make my serve both fast and really spiny i know this is possible because one of my friends serve are fast but they have so much spin the ball disappear.  he does this alot with the pendulum serve the ball goes into my backhand and then kicks and disappear. and there is soo much spin that it makes me miss judge the distance. i would like to acquired something like that. PLEASE HELP!

Hi boaspirit
Its worth remembering that, putting topspin on a fast long serve can actually make it easier for your opponent to attack. In fact its a nice ball. Mostly in tournament play the fast long serve is a 'knuckle serve' hit with the racket slightly open so that the ball skids with slight backspin. you dont chop at the ball, you just give it a flat slap slightly below centre. If you are good at changing direction this can make it quite difficult for the looper to open strongly.
This kind of serve is quite simple, as that excellent Ping-skills vid shows. Alois is doing it with slight topspin - if he hit slightly below centre it would be the knuckle version. You should practice doing it both down the line and diagonally, remembering that down the line is more difficult because there is only 9 feet of table to aim at.
Though the serve is simple, to do it well requires a high level of skill and many practice hours. If you do this kind of serve often you should be able to do a soft short one from same start position as a surprise option.
good luck

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 10/18/2013 at 7:54pm
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by pingpongpaddy pingpongpaddy wrote:

Hi boaspirit
Its worth remembering that, putting topspin on a fast long serve can actually make it easier for your opponent to attack. In fact its a nice ball. Mostly in tournament play the fast long serve is a 'knuckle serve' hit with the racket slightly open so that the ball skids with slight backspin. you dont chop at the ball, you just give it a flat slap slightly below centre. If you are good at changing direction this can make it quite difficult for the looper to open strongly.
This kind of serve is quite simple, as that excellent Ping-skills vid shows. Alois is doing it with slight topspin - if he hit slightly below centre it would be the knuckle version. You should practice doing it both down the line and diagonally, remembering that down the line is more difficult because there is only 9 feet of table to aim at.
Though the serve is simple, to do it well requires a high level of skill and many practice hours. If you do this kind of serve often you should be able to do a soft short one from same start position as a surprise option.
good luck

I'd add that another key is changing the spin.  Serve fast with topspin.  But later serve fast with minimal spin.  Forcing your opponent to rapidly make a decision about spin because the serve is fast can help generate an error from your opponent.

Now, see if you can serve short and dead with the same service motion right up until contact.  If you can, you can really get your opponent out of rhythm.

Edited by wturber - 10/18/2013 at 8:13pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Dang !!  that's fast !! Clap
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 10:13pm
yes but is there any way to serve fast and spinny what i mean is not the long and fast serve i know that makes it easier for the opponent to attack( my serve use to be slow but spinny) im trying to increase the speed of it that's all. i still want to keep it short i just want the serve to be faster in other words a half long serve that just barely falls off the table on the second bounce( sorry if my question wasn't clear)

and also is there anyway to create the disappearing effect when serving?

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 10:32pm

You can't hide the ball and you don't have a Klingon cloaking device.  I have never seen a disappearing effect.   I have seen the ball change pace and/or direction.

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 10:51pm

yes but is there any way to serve fast and spinny what i mean is not the long and fast serve i know that makes it easier for the opponent to attack( my serve use to be slow but spinny) im trying to increase the speed of it that's all. i still want to keep it short i just want the serve to be faster in other words a half long serve that just barely falls off the table on the second bounce( sorry if my question wasn't clear)

Usually "fast" refers to the ball's velocity.  We've given you info on doing that, but apparently you have a different definition of "fast." A half-long serve will be slower than the fast serves that we have described.  It simply has to travel more slowly in order to almost bounce twice on the receiver's side.  So what do you mean by "fast?"

Edited by wturber - 10/18/2013 at 10:51pm
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2013 at 11:37pm
I know what makes the ball disappear.

I just need to have an opponent who doesn't watch the ball properly
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2013 at 1:35am

im currenntly using bomb 729 FH donic Accuda s1 turbo, BH vega Euro, if that helps

It's mostly some combination of low serve trajectory and sidespin.  Low serve trajectory means that the ball should stay low as possible, which means you can't make the serve too short unless you have ridiculous practice skills to make the first bounce close your endline while guaranteeing that the ball will go over the net.

Sidespin (corkscrew components) in practice allows the ball to go through the table faster than pure topspin or underspin.  It's a longer trajectory, but it is safer, and the ball gets to bounce twice pretty quickly. 
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2013 at 2:04pm
It's mostly some combination of low serve trajectory and sidespin.  Low serve trajectory means that the ball should stay low as possible, which means you can't make the serve too short unless you have ridiculous practice skills to make the first bounce close your endline while guaranteeing that the ball will go over the net.

Sidespin (corkscrew components) in practice allows the ball to go through the table faster than pure topspin or underspin.  It's a longer trajectory, but it is safer, and the ball gets to bounce twice pretty quickly. 
[/QUOTE]
i think this is it he contact the ball basically on his endline and when it hit my side( very close to my endline almost touching it) it goes into my non playing elbow and poof i cant see it no more. ( he told me today that he was using more topspin than side spin to make the ball kick thats why the ball jumps and then i cant track it no more)

Edited by boaspirit - 10/19/2013 at 2:11pm

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2013 at 2:08pm
sorry what i meant is both fast and spiny serve which means not just velocity but spinny too which would make it harder for opponent to topsin it back.

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2013 at 2:16pm
Boaspirit,

What is your playing level? As I have improved, I have realized that what I thought was happening isn't what I realized was happening when I got better.

Good serves require practice, and a better player will make the ball spin more, but you don't serve with more speed without losing spin, unless your overall technique and wrist speed is just much better (practice).
Cybershape Carbon
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2013 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Sidespin (corkscrew components) in practice allows the ball to go through the table faster than pure topspin or underspin.  
This doesn't make sense.

( he told me today that he was using more topspin than side spin to make the ball kick thats why the ball jumps and then i cant track it no more) 
Yes, it is top spin that allows one to serve faster as in the 'fastest serve ever' video.  The Magnus effect adds to gravity so the ball will bounce up over the net and drop in less time so the ball will still hit the table.

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2013 at 3:56pm

Hi boaspirit
good luck

I'd add that another key is changing the spin.  Serve fast with topspin.  But later serve fast with minimal spin.  Forcing your opponent to rapidly make a decision about spin because the serve is fast can help generate an error from your opponent.

Now, see if you can serve short and dead with the same service motion right up until contact.  If you can, you can really get your opponent out of rhythm.
Wturber has given you the best advice, also fast serves usually work if done in a random way rather than doing them constantly, now trying to get a serve that is fast and spinny,is a little harder, some suggestions is move back one step , make the first bounce close to your end line, really hit the ball on the side or top in a quick action at the same time letting the ball drop before contact and keep practicing, then in 2 years time you will re-read the good advice you were given and realise deception and subtile changes are the key to a good serve, I say to my students "are you serving for yourself or are you serving for your opponent, your choice"
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2013 at 8:06pm

Boaspirit,

What is your playing level? As I have improved, I have realized that what I thought was happening isn't what I realized was happening when I got better.

Good serves require practice, and a better player will make the ball spin more, but you don't serve with more speed without losing spin, unless your overall technique and wrist speed is just much better (practice).
im a high intermediate player my only weakness is serve and serve return, but yes i do agree that practice makes perfect its just frustrating that while your experimenting with yourself people that you can normally beat easily gives you trouble, your just thinking what im i doing wrong?Cry

Edited by boaspirit - 10/19/2013 at 8:12pm

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2013 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Hi boaspirit
good luck

Wturber has given you the best advice, also fast serves usually work if done in a random way rather than doing them constantly, now trying to get a serve that is fast and spinny,is a little harder, some suggestions is move back one step , make the first bounce close to your end line, really hit the ball on the side or top in a quick action at the same time letting the ball drop before contact and keep practicing, then in 2 years time you will re-read the good advice you were given and realise deception and subtile changes are the key to a good serve, I say to my students "are you serving for yourself or are you serving for your opponent, your choice"

thats a nice quote thank you for the advice i will try everything out

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2013 at 8:42pm
that's weird, I get way more spin out of my fast long serves, fast serves normally mean you can apply more power to brushing the ball, just use the same sort of motion, except aim the first bounce towards the end line of your own side (instead of to the middle). 

If we're talking about short serves, you need to aim the first bounce more towards the middle of your own table (midpoint between the net and the endline on your side). The short serve has two types, one soft and slow where the ball floats towards that point, and one faster short serve where the ball is hit faster towards that point. But at our levels we don't need to worry about that. Just worry about getting good spin and good control over your placement (of the 1st bounce) and you'll be set. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2013 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Sidespin (corkscrew components) in practice allows the ball to go through the table faster than pure topspin or underspin.  
This doesn't make sense.

Practical serving often involves deception.  Topspin from serving the ball directly at an opponent by covering the ball is heavy but obvious and can only rely on being so heavy that the opponent doesn't compensate.  Therefore, most topspin in practical serving is generated by brushing up on the ball, which floats the ball upwards and gives it a longer flight path. 

As a contrast, sidespin (the corkscrew component) gives the ball a longer flight path, but allows it to be spun heavily and quickly and because the ball is not lifted as much, the trajectory is lower, so if you do a deceptive topspin motion alongside a deceptive sidespin motion, the sidespin motion tends to have a quicker bounce and double bounce.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic