Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lily Yip TTC Team Event Oct 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lily Yip TTC Team Event Oct 2013
    Posted: 10/23/2013 at 6:44pm
I have some videos on my youtube page from this event with the top players - I haven't labelled them as I am waiting for the USATT to rate the event so I can get the proper names for all the Provincial players.  

Here are some links.

Ariel Hsing vs. Provincial Player 1st set

Anthony vs. Provincial Player 1st Set

Adam vs. Provincial Player 1st Set

Corey vs. Provincial Player 1st Set
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2013 at 7:05pm
Hey, thanks NextLevel: I was bummed I couldn't go to watch. BTW: if you drove all the way to see this, you should have arrived the previous night: the club has a good Friday league that goes from 8pm till about midnight. You'll play more players of your level than you could in a tournament for a fraction of the price ($13 including pizza for a non-member). I did see some of these players strolling around on Friday and I'm pretty sure I mistook Ariel for just another underrated kid training there Smile
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2013 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Not sure which was more amazing
1. 1st point - ball didn't even hit the net first!!!!
2. Ariel downed 0-5 but won the set.
3. 8-minutes long set. Deuce at 4 minute mark.
4. Number of points Ariel just return to the net? And still won.

Chopper vs Adam - likely a SP chopper.

Edited by bogeyhunter - 10/23/2013 at 7:21pm
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2013 at 7:32pm
Ariel really had to work hard to finally win a point on his serve... 18-16 !!?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2013 at 7:34pm

Anthony vs. Provincial Player 1st Set

Adam vs. Provincial Player 1st Set

Corey vs. Provincial Player 1st Set

You know how some "naive" people say that all Chinese (Germans, Russians, Koreans) look the same? Confused

Turns out they all even have the same name!! Big smile

But kidding aside - very good video! High quality and good angle, too! Thanks, man.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 8:45am
I added the names of the players and uploaded the 3rd Set of Adam vs. the chopper.
Cybershape Carbon
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 11:59am

I added the names of the players and uploaded the 3rd Set of Adam vs. the chopper.
Thanks for uploading the videos. I am not able to see the third set yet - only see the first two.

So I take it Adam H. lost in 3. I thought he played this guy in Toronto - last week.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Thanks for uploading the videos. I am not able to see the third set yet - only see the first two.

So I take it Adam H. lost in 3. I thought he played this guy in Toronto - last week.
It's my most recent upload.  So if you look at all my videos, it is the very last.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 12:26pm
Slevin,

Woud do it if I lived closer.  A 2 hour drive on Friday evening after work is asking a lot.  I might try it when I am on vacation though.
Cybershape Carbon
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 3:52pm
Thanks NextLevel - found the video. Did anyone beat the chopper?
Butterfly MPS
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 6:57pm

Thanks NextLevel - found the video. Did anyone beat the chopper?
No one beat any of the provincial players, but the Chopper was the most dominating.  He played some people without using his pips at all with that same racket.  Was a bit of a joke.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 7:13pm

What were the Toronto results?
Cybershape Carbon
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 2:45am

What were the Toronto results?
The chopper was the number 1 seed in the tournament. I believe (not 100%) sure, but in the team competition - he went undefeated. But in the individual competition - he lost in the semi-final to Hong Tao Chen of Canada. Due to the way the tournament was organized - I missed most of his matches - not sure if they published the results. 
Butterfly MPS
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

Not sure which was more amazing
1. 1st point - ball didn't even hit the net first!!!!
2. Ariel downed 0-5 but won the set.
3. 8-minutes long set. Deuce at 4 minute mark.
4. Number of points Ariel just return to the net? And still won.

Chopper vs Adam - likely a SP chopper.

Love the smile on Ariel's face after the 3rd point. lol
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I just rewatched the video of Ariel while I was stuck on hold on the phone. I was really struck by how much trouble she had returning his serves.  There's no reason for someone of her level to have that much trouble.  I would bet that he was hiding his serves with his body, given that's he's left-handed.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

I just rewatched the video of Ariel while I was stuck on hold on the phone. I was really struck by how much trouble she had returning his serves.  There's no reason for someone of her level to have that much trouble.  I would bet that he was hiding his serves with his body, given that's he's left-handed.

The serve was short, and she need to reach-in to return, it looks like she was afraid he would pushed long to her body on her reach-in, so she was rushed getting back into play.  She was under pressure, and make careless mistake.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 4:36pm
Bogeyhunter, yeah, confirmed, he is SP chopper

Edited by ZApenholder - 10/25/2013 at 4:38pm
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

The serve was short, and she need to reach-in to return, it looks like she was afraid he would pushed long to her body on her reach-in, so she was rushed getting back into play.  She was under pressure, and make careless mistake.

I don't buy it.  Anyone at her level spends a lot of time learning how to get in and out real quick.  She could be careless, but those kinds of mistakes would only happen once a game, not repeatedly.  And this match should be no more pressure than playing the Worlds, or the US Championship, etc.  I think she was misreading the serves and my guess, given how easy it is for people to shield their serves when playing righty versus lefty, is that he was shielding his serves.
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 4:45pm

Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I don't buy it.  Anyone at her level spends a lot of time learning how to get in and out real quick.  She could be careless, but those kinds of mistakes would only happen once a game, not repeatedly.  And this match should be no more pressure than playing the Worlds, or the US Championship, etc.  I think she was misreading the serves and my guess, given how easy it is for people to shield their serves when playing righty versus lefty, is that he was shielding his serves.
At that level, shielding slightly shouldn't matter. It's not like he was serving from under his arm. She was doing the same service action as he was too.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

At that level, shielding slightly shouldn't matter. It's not like he was serving from under his arm. She was doing the same service action as he was too.

Even at world elite level, hidden serves can be very difficult to return. Just look at any world or Olympic championship from the 1990s.  So if the serves are hidden, Ariel would still have a hard time.

Body shielding isn't like holding the arm in the way. It's a timing matter: do they toss the ball backwards and hit it behind the body or not? I'm left-handed and I've seen a great many righties whose serve would be visible to another righty (because they stand at opposite corners) but which are completely hidden to me (because I stand down the line from them).  Unfortunately, you can't really tell from the sidelines (hence, the reluctance of umpires to call it) or from any angle except where the receiver is standing. 

If the video had been two 1600 players, or maybe a 2000 versus 1800, I would have assumed that it was a lack of skill on their part.  And I know that a 2800 player can make a 2500 player mis-read a serve, even without hiding it -- I've seen Fan Yiyong do it many times.  However, in  this match we have two players or comparable skill levels and those skills are very, very good.  So my deduction is body shielding, but, of course, I have no way of really know that without asking Ariel.
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 5:04pm

If the video had been two 1600 players, or maybe a 2000 versus 1800, I would have assumed that it was a lack of skill on their part.  And I know that a 2800 player can make a 2500 player mis-read a serve, even without hiding it -- I've seen Fan Yiyong do it many times.  However, in  this match we have two players or comparable skill levels and those skills are very, very good.  So my deduction is body shielding, but, of course, I have no way of really know that without asking Ariel.
Well there's the answer. You thought they were of the same skill level.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 5:20pm

Well there's the answer. You thought they were of the same skill level.

Exactly, the Chinese player is closer to 2700 while Ariel is closer to 2500.  Ariel also continued to contact the serves where the spin was heaviest rather than avoiding that axis - a personal choice on her part.

Edited by NextLevel - 10/25/2013 at 5:21pm
Cybershape Carbon
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 5:23pm

Exactly, the Chinese player is closer to 2700 while Ariel is closer to 2500.

A 150 point difference isn't what I meant.  I meant like 2950 versus 2500.

One thing is that it would help to see beyond game 1, to see if she continued to have problems returning his serves.  If she adjusts in game 2, then he probably just has good serves.  If you get to the end of the match and she's still mysteriously missing a lot, then it's more likely shielded serves.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 5:28pm

One thing is that it would help to see beyond game 1, to see if she continued to have problems returning his serves.  If she adjusts in game 2, then he probably just has good serves.  If you get to the end of the match and she's still mysteriously missing a lot, then it's more likely shielded serves.

You can always see game 2,3,4 on Nextlevel's youtube channel Wink

Edited by ZApenholder - 10/25/2013 at 5:29pm
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 6:17pm

2700 is a huge jump above 2500. It's not the same as a 1300 and a 1500. 200 points difference that far above mean is really significant.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 7:00pm

2700 is a huge jump above 2500. It's not the same as a 1300 and a 1500. 200 points difference that far above mean is really significant.

Yeah, 2700vs2500 is like 1800vs1300, not 1500vs1300

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 7:01pm

Agreed that 200 points is a huge difference at that level, but that's in overall performance, not specifically in service skills.  You'll see more emphasis on other differences: athleticism, footwork, ball placement, to name a few.  Yes, the stronger player will have better serves, but not enough to cause the lower player to mis-read them repeatedly.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 7:07pm

She had problems returning his serves throughout the match.  
Cybershape Carbon
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2013 at 4:09am
I think it is important things to note that problem returning serves has a few possiblities, and one of them is to give a bad return, linking to a powerful 3rd ball, which this lefty has.
To me, it feels more like Ariel is focusing too much on not giving a bad return and the other times misread it.
Credit to lefty, his no spin, under spin movement is really good. His contact and action is very smooth, most people who are not used to it will have problem.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2013 at 10:04am
The ratings for this tournament have been processed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic