Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Axelo?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AlexKr0iss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexKr0iss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Axelo?!?
    Posted: 10/24/2013 at 2:48am
Hi i am really interested in the Xiom Axelo blade. Can anybody give me his thoughts on the blade?
How does it perform in:
-smash
-topspin
-block
-counter
-push (i do not expect that much control there^^)...

What rubber did u use on it? Which ones do you recommend? Rather soft rather hard?
Whats is the ST grip like?
Thanks
Alex
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 10:12am
I used it with Tenergy and a FL.  Nice looking blade, felt comfortable in the hand, nice weight and balance, excellent fit and finish.  It is extremely fast, very thick, very stiff, almost no feel at all.  Make a Schlager blade thicker, give it some steroid injections for good measure, and that is what you would have.  I think it is the fastest blade I ever tried. I actually bought this one, gave it away a week later.  The guy I gave it to liked it for awhile, except he was losing a lot, he gave it to someone else or sold it, and it sort of went from person to person around the club for a few months, but I don't know where it is now.  Nobody at our club is using it, it is probably in a closet somewhere gathering dust.  You will feel great driving the ball from mid-distance or smashing.  Every other aspect of your game will suffer.   
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 2:46pm
I had this blade and I really really liked it. To me , it has has good, solid feel. Some, like Baal, would describe it as very stiff.
I could do anything with it that's required for a blade of that type. But in the end, it was just too faaaaaast. Any block or counter from your opponent and the ball rockets onto your side. It was not very easy to play a rally. That is, I could play good solid topspin strokes when in position, but a rally of 4+ strokes? Forget it. 
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexKr0iss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 4:15pm
Ok. I understand. So it is really really really fast :) I was planning to give it a try with some soft and not that fast rubbers... Do u think that could work... which rubbers did u use Tinykin?
Any other reviews to that blade?
DragonSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DragonSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 10:54pm
I use Xiom Axelo for spare blade, it's a very good blade, match well with Donic Baracuda 2.0 rubbers both side, very control, spiny services, easy to loop, Xiom Axelo has quite low throw angle, so match well with Donic Baracuda high throw angle. lots of power even from mid distance. I quite like it!!!

Edited by DragonSpirit - 10/24/2013 at 10:55pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2013 at 11:11pm
Actually I was going to suggest something like Baracuda or Vega.
alfas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alfas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 4:51am

Hi Alex,

I’m playing Axelo since the beginning of June 2013 which started only because of a curiosity, as on some forums I find that it is the fastest blade in Xiom blades artillery J, and what is more it is faster than Butterfly Schlager…???

Up to then, my standard setup was Bty Schlager, fh Donic Acuda S1 max, bh Yasaka Ragza 9 max.

When I started playing Axelo it was: fh Acuda S1 max, bh Acuda S1 turbo max, and after 2 weeks I’ve change a Donic Bluefire JP01 max on fh and this is my setup up to now.

My impressions:

-          It is not faster than Schlager, it is not even close, BUT - do not let me be misunderstood, it is absolutely fast enough in every occasion. Everything above this (in terms of speed) would be risky, boldly, dangerously, overpowered, doubtfully controlled… (pick one or continue the line).

-          After first playing session I said “good, but nothing special…”, after giving a chance to Axelo (3-4 playing sessions) suddenly I found myself that lots of the points took longer than before. So, as most of my rallies that usually took of 2 or 3 throws, now only after couple of sessions it arose to 4, 5, 6 …

-          What is more, my backhand has significantly improved, but in my opinion it was because of the tick shape of the handle (straight).

-          Finally, my felling for the ball was dramatically improved which is the utmost benefit. If I could somehow combine this with better footwork (which is “my strongest side” J)…sky is a limit…

To sum up, the problem in finding perfect match (blade) is a nightmare for everybody as there is no universal recipe for it, the only good option is to try as many blades as possible (regarding your playing style) and to hope that you will be lucky enough.  However, even if you could find yours “holy grail”, is not the end of your problems, as soon as your level goes up, your blade will start to become “slow” on some shots… and combining rubbers with this blades is another issue that I’m not ready to start…

One small tip, whatever blade you bought BE VERY CAREFUL when seal/varnish it, if you overdo with layers you will kill the “soul” of the blade. My suggestion would be to go with joola varnish as it is the only product that is doing impregnation of the blades (goes deep and make small film, NOT layer/layers) which result in using the most of the “soul” the blade posses.

Hope it was helpful to you.

Xiom Axelo
FH: Donic Bluefire JP01 max
BH: Donic Acuda S1 Turbo max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexKr0iss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 7:34pm
Ok thanks so far :)
@ alfas
I actually wanted to test the JP01 so you could recommend it? Tell me something about this combination? loops, smashes (quite important in my game), short game, blocks?
What playing style do you have?

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 7:51pm
I had the Axelo; it belongs to the insanely fast blades category; I am not sure who can use it other than pure blockers/smashers who loop only sometimes and have excellent touch for the short game; but then there are a lot of people playing that style. Also aging players who do have touch and are sad to lose power with the years may find it enjoyable; I say this because I know a few people in the 1700/1800 range who went on Sardius when they hit 60yo and they did not regret it; for them decades of playing had developed a good touch and they adapted to the new setup without problems.
I let mine go because I was missing too many easy balls and taming a blade with slower rubbers does not work for me; at equal overall speed I prefer slower blades with faster rubbers instead.
It was very fun at practice though; when we know where the ball comes it becomes a fun blade and makes us feel so strong.
the Axelo has 2 slower sisters; the Strato and the Ignito (all 3 have the same composition and the core's thickness varies); for most of us I feel like the Ignito makes more sense if we want one of those cannons.
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 9:39pm
I have 2 Axelo. One is dressed with Xiom Omega V Tour Max while the other has Donic Bluefire M2 Max on FH. Both have Grass DTecs OX on BH.
For me, I find you can loop, smash, block and push without any problem. Initially, I had Bluefire M1 on it and find that I often miss the table by that much. I find it works best with the Omega V Tour rubber. It is still a fast spinny rubber but with much better touch/control. However, after a few months with this combo, I am starting to find it is a bit slow and am thinking maybe I now qualify to use it with M1. I will probably slap the M1 on it after my Omega Tour is pass its use-by-date to see how it works out.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
viktorovich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viktorovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2013 at 3:12pm
@ fattchoi (sorry of a topic).
Please, compare a throw/arch : M2 vs Omega v. Thanks.
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2013 at 9:44pm
M2 is slightly higher throw than Omega Tour.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
alfas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alfas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2013 at 8:52am

Alex,

I can see that we have similar playing style - loops with both wings from mid distance with an accent on smashes as a specialty of the houseJ. That is the reason why in the past 6 years I played with BTY Schlager carbon combined with tenergy 64 max and acuda S1 max. As a matter of fact I’ve had 2 Schlagers (100 gr and 96 gr).

I must point out again that Axelo is not faster than Schlager, what is more it is not the fastest Butterly gun (it is Boll tricarbon), so Axelo The Beast… c’mon…  

I warned you previously about varnishing the blade, I did that mistake with my first Bty. Sch. (100 gr), at first I used it with no varnishing at all, top layer – hinoki worked perfect and I was in heaven. Unfortunately, at that time speed glue was the real deal glue, so after couple of months my BS started to splinter L… I’ve patched that with a mixture of wood dust and wood glue and finished up with varnishing… (advised by tt experts…  2 or 3 layers of a mixture of 1 spoon varnish : 5 spoons paint stripper).

The blade become “piece of glass with no soul at all” simple block turns into super smash and the ordinary smashes were bullets on the table and it is not a metaphor.  Having previously known his outstanding performances I can tell you it was absolutely not usable. I was trying to fix it somehow by sandpapering the varnish up to the hinoki layer and used Joola varnish (impregnation) instead.  It was an improvement (now it was usable) but regarding the original performances… it is one way ticket.

I’m sure that lot of people are overdoing the varnishing part (safety reasons - splintering) but believe me your blade is not a shining piano...

Regarding JP01 max, I can tell you it is a “bulls eye” for Axelo as a fh rubber.

Best features: while looping, you can feel how the ball goes deep into the sponge and then spin and trampoline effect are working out. So, you can navigate upon your wish what to do with it. Short game is similar as with Acuda S1 - timing is crucial! The quality of top sheet is improved comparing to Acuda series (no cracking at the edges after 4 months playing!!!).

I consider testing JP03/Xiom Vega Japan max on backhand as regarding the forum’s reviews it sounds pretty good to me, but if you try it first let me know your impressionsJ.
Xiom Axelo
FH: Donic Bluefire JP01 max
BH: Donic Acuda S1 Turbo max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic