Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Be a Coach Whore or Monogamist?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Be a Coach Whore or Monogamist?
    Posted: 10/27/2013 at 12:56am
Be a coach whore or monogamist? I think the more coaches you have the better. Sounds expensive right? Not expensive, if you're nice to high level players.(pick up balls for them, let them play on the good tables, buy them water, etc.) Or better yet, just go up to a high level player and ask them to critique your game. 
The reason I have come to this conclusion, is that some coaches are good at explaining this and other coaches are good at this. The more coaches you have, the more hints you'll get to unlock the secrets of table tennis. 
For example, I had one coach tell me I needed to do so and so. I didn't really understand how to do it. Then, I had one coach tell me I needed so and so. I put both of their advice/hints together, and I unlocked the secret to that one problem I had.
Bottom line, be a coach whore. If you have only have one piece/one hint in a complex puzzle you may never solve it. Throw away the ego, more hints/pieces the better! However, you must think like a scientist and analyze. The information is neither correct nor wrong, until proven. In other words, some tips may work for you or may not, keep them in the back of your mind. It took me about 4 years to understand and implement what one coach said to me 4 years ago! 
Sponsored Links

gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2013 at 2:26pm
As long as all your "coaches" have the same basic philosophy. It can be confusing going to one coach who wants you to engage the hips and push forward..while another coach is telling you to snap your arm more etc..
I stick with one coach only.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
TTeveryday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTeveryday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2013 at 2:26pm
I agree with you.  Every coach has a different view or technique they are good at.  One coach may be very good at the chopping game, another may be good at something else.  They all have different...philosophies to the game.  I think it is harder to find decent coaches.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2013 at 3:11pm
Nothing wrong with getting some help from better players or a different coach. Takes some judgment though.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2013 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by gatorling gatorling wrote:

As long as all your "coaches" have the same basic philosophy. It can be confusing going to one coach who wants you to engage the hips and push forward..while another coach is telling you to snap your arm more etc..
I stick with one coach only.
HAHA, this is one of those things that go hand in hand with each other! Engaging your hips allows you to snap your arm more. Imo, you can't have one, you need to do both! Your example, is exactly what I was referring to!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2013 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Nothing wrong with getting some help from better players or a different coach. Takes some judgment though.
Yes, especially if the coach has a shady game or not known for coaching. However, there were some things I thought were BS, but then turned out to be good 4 years later. And some coaches are just not good at explaining things, what they say may seem absurd at first.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2013 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by TTeveryday TTeveryday wrote:

I agree with you.  Every coach has a different view or technique they are good at.  One coach may be very good at the chopping game, another may be good at something else.  They all have different...philosophies to the game.  I think it is harder to find decent coaches.
I think the best coach is yourself. Take in as much info and feedback you can and fit them to you.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2013 at 3:57pm
The need for coaching is often overstated and many players believe its impossible to improve without one. You can self coach with the right mindset and a realistic goal, for technique, copy, for tips and tactics just listen to conversations or ask, and above all, don't decide you are going to have a 'Chinese or Euro' forehand, find your own.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2013 at 6:24pm
A few unrelated thoughts that basically agree with previous comments.  Whatever a coach tells you, you still have to figure out how to implement it.  You may need to get better than you are are present to realize what he/she was really talking about at least for some things.  Also, it is kind of odd to think there is only one person in the world who can tell you or show you something useful.  Also, with youtube there are so many examples of good players to watch.  With cheap video cameras, you can see what you are doing.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2013 at 7:18pm
g you can't be any good if you need a coach
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic