FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

$49 fee for USATT membership

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2013 at 9:28pm
How does this compare to other sports?  What does it cost these days to enter a sanctioned tennis tournament for example?  I sometimes think TT players are the cheapest people on earth.
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2013 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

When I arrived in the States for the 1st time I was surprised about the sales tax not included in the listed prices in stores; I understand that businesses act as tax collectors for states were sales tax apply; my question is why as a buyer should I care about that relationship between the business and the state? If I am going to pay an item $11 then just write down $11 on the sticker and give the state his dollar tax; I do not need to see a $10 price tag and calculate in my head if I can afford it given the fact the 10% tax has not applied yet. OH yes; the businesses want me to know $11 is not what they charge...what they really charge is $10...give me a break!

I've lived in the US my entire life and I hate that too.  I can do the math pretty quickly in my head, but I shouldn't need to.  I find it refreshing when places include tax in the price, but it's very rare.
Same thing goes for prices that end in .99 or even worse the gas stations that have 9 10ths of a cent in the price.  Sadly market research was done and it was found that not rounding up led to more purchases.  
I'll stop before I go into an even longer rant on stuff unrelated to the topic at hand.

What you quoted was just an introductory note leading the point I tried to make and that was very much related to the topic at hand; not quoting that introduction and quoting to comment the rest of my post instead would have indeed been more constructive on your part and relevant to topic as well. 
Thanks for trying anyway; no hard feelings; we all happen to miss the relevant stuff sometimes.

hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2013 at 9:40pm

When I arrived in the States for the 1st time I was surprised about the sales tax not included in the listed prices in stores; I understand that businesses act as tax collectors for states were sales tax apply; my question is why as a buyer should I care about that relationship between the business and the state? If I am going to pay an item $11 then just write down $11 on the sticker and give the state his dollar tax; I do not need to see a $10 price tag and calculate in my head if I can afford it given the fact the 10% tax has not applied yet. OH yes; the businesses want me to know $11 is not what they charge...what they really charge is $10...give me a break!

I've lived in the US my entire life and I hate that too.  I can do the math pretty quickly in my head, but I shouldn't need to.  I find it refreshing when places include tax in the price, but it's very rare.
Same thing goes for prices that end in .99 or even worse the gas stations that have 9 10ths of a cent in the price.  Sadly market research was done and it was found that not rounding up led to more purchases.  
I'll stop before I go into an even longer rant on stuff unrelated to the topic at hand.

What you quoted was just an introductory note leading the point I tried to make and that was very much related to the topic at hand; not quoting that introduction and quoting to comment the rest of my post instead would have indeed been more constructive on your part and relevant to topic as well. 
Thanks for trying anyway; no hard feelings; we all happen to miss the relevant stuff sometimes.
I apologize if you thought I was implying that what you said was off topic.  What I meant was that I was going off topic by focusing on that part of the post and ranting.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2013 at 9:48pm
Usatt is very likely to get more money from more players entering tournaments by lowering fees. 

Edited by kenneyy88 - 11/14/2013 at 9:48pm
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2013 at 11:18pm
Seriously are we complaining about $49 a year?  I used to play tennis and it would cost almost that much for one hour of indoor court time.  And let's not compare to golf, even on public courses.  Table tennis is a relative bargain.  

USATT may not do anything worthwhile with the money.  I'm not saying they are well-run or market the sport well.  But I love playing tournaments, it's about the only time I get to play new people.  I will have played 12 tournaments when my (first) year's membership is up, so that works out to $4 each.  I could have had a Starbucks coffee with the money I gave USATT for each tournament.  Seems like a fine deal to me.

Maybe a $25 membership would bring more people in, but I don't believe it.  I think the same people would balk at paying $25.  
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2013 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Seriously are we complaining about $49 a year?  I used to play tennis and it would cost almost that much for one hour of indoor court time.  And let's not compare to golf, even on public courses.  Table tennis is a relative bargain.  

USATT may not do anything worthwhile with the money.  I'm not saying they are well-run or market the sport well.  But I love playing tournaments, it's about the only time I get to play new people.  I will have played 12 tournaments when my (first) year's membership is up, so that works out to $4 each.  I could have had a Starbucks coffee with the money I gave USATT for each tournament.  Seems like a fine deal to me.

Maybe a $25 membership would bring more people in, but I don't believe it.  I think the same people would balk at paying $25.  

It's not the money (though in your case it's an average of $11 per tournament when you include the tournament processing fee), because I think we can all agree that $49 isn't significant.  It's the principal.  Other than a rating (which can be replaced with ratings central), what does the USATT do for that money?  Have they grown the sport significantly?  

I can understand your love of playing tournaments, but do we need the USATT for there to be tournaments?  What's the advantage of having a tournament sanctioned by the USATT?  
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 12:30am
Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">what club are you at?</span>

SF Lawton TT Club.

I find it peculiar that tt clubs in US seem to have so many oriental players among their members.
it seems as though tt did not really get to the local crowd and people playing are mainly those who came from east and probably knew and liked tt before.

We prefer to be called Asians AND we are the locals here in San Francisco.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 12:56am
The more you complain that the fees are too high ($49 per year membership, and $7 rating fee), the higher the fees will go.

Take my words for it.

(The tournament has a sanction fee too, you don't pay it directly.  You do pay it indirectly)

90%+ of our club members are not regular tournament players because the fees are too high.

We do support our own club organized tournaments.  Tourneys in other places, 90% of our players just won't go because of high fees.

Edited by skip3119 - 11/15/2013 at 1:15am
skip3119
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 2:33am

Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

It's not the money (though in your case it's an average of $11 per tournament when you include the tournament processing fee), because I think we can all agree that $49 isn't significant.  It's the principal.  Other than a rating (which can be replaced with ratings central), what does the USATT do for that money?  Have they grown the sport significantly?  

I can understand your love of playing tournaments, but do we need the USATT for there to be tournaments?  What's the advantage of having a tournament sanctioned by the USATT?  

That's the real question.

I love tournaments as much as the next guy, and I'm kinda with Fatt where I'd rather just not see the fees laid out for me to add up and decide how it's justified. Because it's not a lot of money to pay for a membership yearly. Collegiate fee is only 20 I believe? 

I don't do a lot of tournaments every year either. I live in Iowa which holds none (used to hold big ones, even in my city) I hit the badger open, LA open, and America's teams. I may or may not play a 1-2 star in rockford IL here and there. But that's it. I don't mind paying the money (except for the teams which is more expensive every year) for the most part. 

However, the thing with USATT other than different organizations is that there isn't really much done for the sport from what most people can see. What's the point of having your tournament sanctioned by the USATT? I don't see the point. You're just shelling them money and not much is coming from it. I prefer unsanctioned tournaments because it's a simple fee and the same fun. What incentive is there to have your tournament sanctioned? The rating thing is already taken care of by ratings central if need be. Where's the benefit? I understand it needs to cost a lot to enter bigger tournaments, because you need to pay the good players to win. That's just, and I don't mind spending $150 in entry fees for 2-3 events when I go to waukesha every year. I'm helping line Eugene Wang's pocket, and it's fun to see that level of play. 

If there is any benefit however, somebody please educate the forum. 
neutronbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 9:21am
I'm not really sure all that USATT is doing to promote the sport. Maybe more behind the scenes than I realize. Personally, I only play one big tournament a year, and for the number of matches I play as well as the high level competition I get to watch, the membership fee seems pretty insignificant and I can live with it. I know, however, that many people have a bad impression of the USATT and a lot of tournaments are intentionally being run unsanctioned while Ratings Central is being promoted as the better alternative. I like that we (the US) have a national standard rating system. While that number isn't a direct measure of skill, is has come to be a de facto "player skill indicator" that seems to be pretty accurate. 
I do think some of the smaller sanctioned tournaments, especially the ones without elite players, would get a lot more turn out if there was a smaller one time fee considering some people aren't trying to play as many tournaments as possible throughout the year. 
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 10:54am
Wow...apparently I started a topic that's bothering a lot of people.  The point is that most of us players that are serious about TT and enjoy playing tournaments will pay the $49, but I have many newbies at our club that have never played a tournament before and will only play at our local tournament maybe once or twice a year at most. These people don't view that $49 very favorably and the USATT needs to have a better option for these people to help encourage more people to become members.  Some people have had good suggestions here and maybe we should send the best suggestions to one of the USATT staff. As far as the magazine goes...I don't really think it offers much value for the players I'm talking about. I have about 20 players at our club that have never been in a tournament and have a playing level of between 1000 - 1500, but when they have to pay $49 + the entry fees and the $7 rating fee then it really starts to add up and many are simply not willing to pay that much. I would also like to see the costs of the membership just hidden in the event fees, or lower the fee to $15 per tournament. Every time you play a tournament there is a $15 USATT fee or something like that. Many people only play 1-2 tournaments a year, but many more play 3 or more a year which would help offset the lower fee. As far as the magazines go I don't even read much of them...I can read articles online. I just don't think the current membership really offers that much value, and I think it discourages many recreational players that might want to play in a USATT tournament.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Pushdeep Pushdeep wrote:

$49 includes 12 issues of the USATT magazine and a sticker. I think it's not bad. I think they should work out a deal with clubs and retailers (doesn't have to be TT retailers) for discounts.

Not all people want those magazines. You are almost being forced to subscribe to a magazine that you don't care for.

Edited by bonggoy - 11/15/2013 at 12:49pm
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 2:23pm
I understand why newbies don't want to pay the fee to enter a usatt tourney. They will pay $60 to play a few matches and go home.

I see no compelling reason to be a usatt member. I don't care about getting an "official" rating.

In LA, I am within a 30-40 min drive of at least 6 places to play. No need to enter sanctioned events to play new people. I can pay around $8 and have a better experience.

The best tourneys I have played in were unsanctioned. One of the local clubs used to have an all day round robin tourney for an entry fee of about $35 every 3 months or so. All the $$$ went to the prize fund or the club.

I had no problem with the entry fee. The event was well run. The winners of the A group were usually 2400-2500+ level, so I got to see great competition and I supported my local club.

Most parts of the country don't have the same options as LA, but value versus entry fee still applies. The barriers to entry for new players must be low and there must be a clear benefit for joining usatt.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 2:38pm
good point about the magazines. I could really care less about receiving them, and they really won't mean much to new members. Playing only a few matches for $76 ($49 membership + $7 rating fee + $20 event fee) didn't make much sense to a 1300 player that hasn't played in a tournament for a couple of years.
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 3:04pm

what club are you at?

SF Lawton TT Club.

I find it peculiar that tt clubs in US seem to have so many oriental players among their members.
it seems as though tt did not really get to the local crowd and people playing are mainly those who came from east and probably knew and liked tt before.

getting past all the racial microaggressions.... i agree with jt99sf, i was born raised, and have never lived anywhere else except the united states, and i'm asian. and i was introduced to competitive table tennis randomly just like many other people. it's not because im asian that i like table tennis. i like table tennis because table tennis is awesome Big smileBig smileBig smile
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 3:07pm
berkeleydoc

did you used to live in berkeley?  play at berkeley ttc?

:)

Edited by in2spin - 11/15/2013 at 5:16pm
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 3:08pm
btw jt99sf, your club looks amazing! i've played quite a bit of TT in the east bay, but i've never heard of your club before. i tried to google it, but i couldn't find a website, do you guys have one?
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 3:31pm

btw jt99sf, your club looks amazing! i've played quite a bit of TT in the east bay, but i've never heard of your club before. i tried to google it, but i couldn't find a website, do you guys have one?

We have no website because the info would get stale too quickly.  We're located in the Sunset District of SF (West) @ 28th Ave & Lawton (Sunset Rec Center).

We have players there all day at all levels. Many retirees. 

BTW,  our club plays this HUGE tourney every year:

Edited by jt99sf - 11/15/2013 at 3:33pm

Pushdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 3:47pm
Sorry I was wrong. UsATT magazine is not 12 times a year. It is every 2 months. You get training & technique tips, news, history, and intersting features as well. Maybe it should have equipment reviews and then it will be worth $49 a year.

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 3:59pm
maybe the mag can include coupons for table tennis equip with some of the companies that advertise in it.
Another problem for newbies forking over all that money for the membership and event fees is the fact they can't advance in their event! I did manage to talk 1 guy into purchasing a membership to sign up for the U1250. I gave him an estimated rating of 1200 and had him signup for the U1250. There were 3 people in his 1st stage RR, he won 1 match and lost to the top player. 2 people advanced, but not him because you can't advance if you've never played in a tournament before. So he paid $76 to play 2 matches! He was a good sport about it and plans to play in another tournament in the near future, but come on. If they receive an estimated rating from an experienced player they should be able to advance. I know some players will say it's not fair...they're much better...but it's also not fair if you don't get to advance out of your group after you've paid all that money.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Pushdeep Pushdeep wrote:

Sorry I was wrong. UsATT magazine is not 12 times a year. It is every 2 months. You get training & technique tips, news, history, and intersting features as well. Maybe it should have equipment reviews and then it will be worth $49 a year.

They should have coaches like Larry H going around various clubs giving seminars in conjunction with tournaments.  I'd pay for that.

Pushdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 4:10pm
It's fair if everyone is subject to the same rule.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 4:13pm
It's fair in that sense, but it's still a deterrent.

qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

maybe the mag can include coupons for table tennis equip with some of the companies that advertise in it.
Another problem for newbies forking over all that money for the membership and event fees is the fact they can't advance in their event! I did manage to talk 1 guy into purchasing a membership to sign up for the U1250. I gave him an estimated rating of 1200 and had him signup for the U1250. There were 3 people in his 1st stage RR, he won 1 match and lost to the top player. 2 people advanced, but not him because you can't advance if you've never played in a tournament before. So he paid $76 to play 2 matches! He was a good sport about it and plans to play in another tournament in the near future, but come on. If they receive an estimated rating from an experienced player they should be able to advance. I know some players will say it's not fair...they're much better...but it's also not fair if you don't get to advance out of your group after you've paid all that money.

$76 to play 2 matches, what a great way to encourage participation.

I pointed out this problem in another thread a while back, and many people, including some who are tournament organizers, basically said "too bad".

For $76, the player could have gotten a 1 hr private lesson and entry fees into 3 RR events in LA.

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 5:10pm

what club are you at?

SF Lawton TT Club.

getting past all the racial microaggressions.... i agree with jt99sf, i was born raised, and have never lived anywhere else except the united states, and i'm asian. and i was introduced to competitive table tennis randomly just like many other people. it's not because im asian that i like table tennis. i like table tennis because table tennis is awesome Big smileBig smileBig smile

sorry if anyone felt offended, it was not the intention.
where I live the rate of asian players is much lower (maybe 1 every 10), that's why it sort of called my attention.
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 5:16pm
USTTA should learn from ACBL (Amer. Contract Bridge Association) in which
$2 extra charges will be paid by non-ACBL member for each event. There are
some events for members only, but all regionals ($16 vs. $18) and locals
($15 vs. $17) are open to everyone.

Also, first time membership fee is only $28 with 12 issues of
bulletin which is excellent.

Edited by khmd - 11/15/2013 at 5:19pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

They make exceptions at some tournaments.  At my 2nd tournament I managed to win the U1550 and didn't play a single rated player in the event.  Looking back, there were rated players in the event, but I didn't get a chance to play them.  It was a 1 or 2 star tournament.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

USATT can't develop the sport without money.  I get that.  I just don't feel like we as players and members are getting much return for our money. 

Bingo we have a winner.

So I have to pay 49 bucks for really little in return in addition to the cost to enter the events in tournaments? Yeah no thanks.

I'll just stick to local TT tournaments that are not affiliated with USATT and bypass that $49.

It's a rip off if you ask me.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 6:34pm

sorry if anyone felt offended, it was not the intention.
where I live the rate of asian players is much lower (maybe 1 every 10), that's why it sort of called my attention.

No offense taken.  Just good to be aware.  Tongue

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

How does this compare to other sports?  What does it cost these days to enter a sanctioned tennis tournament for example?  I sometimes think TT players are the cheapest people on earth.

At my old club, a player one level below me in playing level would get my FH rubber (Aurus) from me for free after I deemed it spent. (two months daily use) He would slap that on his FH and use it another 6 months of daily use 4 hrs a day. Same thing for my BH rubber I usually swapped out at 2-3 months, even if it was still OK. heck, my BH rubber costs $7. That same friend would take that rubber and use it on his BH for 6 more months. Other players would take my BH rubber and use it almost a year.

I am talking about 50-55 yr old dude who pay only for club membership, which is $60 USd for the whole month entitling one to unlimited daily play and use of robot and training area on weekends.

These guys would NEVER buy their own new FH rubber. One did, two whole sheet haha.

Ur so right on that on Baal.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic