Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timothy Wang losing to a 2300

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by voltaire1019 voltaire1019 wrote:

I was at the tournament and witnessed the whole match.  The reason he lost?  He did EVERY shot that he's NOT supposed to against a LP player - side spin serve, heavy side and top spin attack....

I think the education will help Tim's game if that's the case.  Sometimes, better players are too used to winning because they are better and not because they are using the right strategy.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I guess some things need to be spelled out.  It would be pretty interesting if he worked at McDonalds too, but here is the point about the fact he is an MD:  The point is that the things you have to do to be a physician make it pretty hard to do any of the things you need to become a high level TT player.  The LP guy is not training 4 hours a day, he has a full-time job that he can't really blow off---you know, working at a hospital seeing sick people, stuff like that.  Since he is a physician, there was a long period in his life (like from age 18-30 maybe longer, maybe a bit less, depending on specialty) when it is unlikely he was able to train at all given the studying, exams, 18 hour work days and stretches of 36 hours straight being on-call---this being the age when most players are in their prime or level and improvement.  And he still pulled it off. 

Against a guy who quit high school in his freshman year to pursue his dream of being a professional table tennis player, and who did succeed in becoming the #1 player on his nation's men's team.

Kids, don't quit school to become a ping pong player, but if you really insist on it -- train abroad.   

edited by Baal....

life is not about winning or losing.

maybe the kid just likes to play ping pong, so he chose to do that.
even if he loses 50 times against physician he'll be happy because he is doing what he likes.

maybe physician hates his job and his only happy time during the day is that 1 hour when he goes play ping pong.

in the end, who lived a happier life?

Edited by puppy412 - 12/09/2013 at 8:07pm
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 7:34pm
most likely question of style... one of the lads here ranked around 6 in the country got beaten by an lp chopper and hes 56 years old
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
kyle90 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyle90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 7:40pm
it's not a question of style when its a 2600+ player losing to a 2300 player. The 2600 player clearly has the tools necessary to win, but instead fails to come up with a suitable strategy. he could have easily served dead balls the entire time and finished the next ball. i'm surprised after this many years of training/matches he hasn't figured this out. it's not like he's out of practice. he was just in europe playing ittf events and training full time.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by kyle90 kyle90 wrote:

it's not a question of style when its a 2600+ player losing to a 2300 player. The 2600 player clearly has the tools necessary to win, but instead fails to come up with a suitable strategy. he could have easily served dead balls the entire time and finished the next ball. i'm surprised after this many years of training/matches he hasn't figured this out. it's not like he's out of practice. he was just in europe playing ittf events and training full time.
===================================

He certainly knows how LP works, has the experience of playing against LP players, and he knows how to beat LP players.

He got so confident that he didn't think that he needed to observe all those rules playing against LP - he could just simply over-power his opponent.  I think that's the reason that he lost.
skip3119
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 8:17pm
You're right, there's no such thing as a long pips player that knows what to do with dead serves. 

Wacko
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

You're right, there's no such thing as a long pips player that knows what to do with dead serves. 

Wacko
thats right a good (well any) long pimple player has to adjust to all types of serves
Im sure Tim will benifit from his experience, it is jusy one of those things, 
also playing a LP chopper is not the same as playing a lp blocker and technition like the Dr

My mate has been playing two years and uses double pips and he has already beaten half the NZ Jnr team , then he played a anti chopper and took nearly 60 mins to win, it was like watching a 1940's game
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 9:12pm
you all are talking as if one bad loss in a small tournament is gonna be some huge career-ending loss for tim wang
JonathanVN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

you all are talking as if one bad loss in a small tournament is gonna be some huge career-ending loss for tim wang

That's true; it won't be a career-ending loss for him at all. It is, however, a harsh wake-up call to every American that thought Tim had somewhat of a chance to break the top 50 in the world. Ma Long or Zhang Jike would slaughter this guy. 
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 9:46pm
If you look at Jafar's last tournament results on the USATT site, you will see he had chances of beating a 2500 and a 2600 player. Both went the full distance and one actually ended in duece.
who no know go know
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 11:27pm
he looks like a rather limited player technically.
he's also not very young, his footwork is not very good.

what is his secret?
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 11:47pm
LP blockers are very dangerous. At my level just a nightmare. At high level still a nightmare unless a strong strategy is in place.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by JonathanVN JonathanVN wrote:

That's true; it won't be a career-ending loss for him at all. It is, however, a harsh wake-up call to every American that thought Tim had somewhat of a chance to break the top 50 in the world. Ma Long or Zhang Jike would slaughter this guy. 

Uh... does anyone think he would break the top 50 in the world
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2013 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

I don't understand...
is there a need for excuses?
he just lost to a player who played better that game.
can happen to anyone.
even ma long could lose against me one day.
Ermm

Trust me, that won't happen.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 12:00am

Originally posted by JonathanVN JonathanVN wrote:

Uh... does anyone think he would break the top 50 in the world
===========================

ITTF ranked Timothy Wang as #367.
He needs to break into top 100 first.

(Eugene Wang has been in top 100, but has a hard time to break into top 50.)
skip3119
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 12:22am
A great win for all the dark-siders!
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I guess some things need to be spelled out.  It would be pretty interesting if he worked at McDonalds too, but here is the point about the fact he is an MD:  The point is that the things you have to do to be a physician make it pretty hard to do any of the things you need to become a high level TT player.  The LP guy is not training 4 hours a day, he has a full-time job that he can't really blow off---you know, working at a hospital seeing sick people, stuff like that.  Since he is a physician, there was a long period in his life (like from age 18-30 maybe longer, maybe a bit less, depending on specialty) when it is unlikely he was able to train at all given the studying, exams, 18 hour work days and stretches of 36 hours straight being on-call---this being the age when most players are in their prime or level and improvement.  And he still pulled it off. 

Against a guy who quit high school in his freshman year to pursue his dream of being a professional table tennis player, and who did succeed in becoming the #1 player on his nation's men's team.

Kids, don't quit school to become a ping pong player, but if you really insist on it -- train abroad.   

Really, Tim Wang quit high school to become a pro tt player?
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 12:39am
I was under the impression long and medium pips are weakness at the elite levels. Usually, they pick on that pips side - pips players just end up defending. 

Would love to see the entire match. Pretty strong field - T. Wang was only the 4th seed.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 12:44am

Wacko

Riddle me this: what is an OX long pips player going to do to the ball other than return it dead with his pips, no matter where he places it?
Cybershape Carbon
pandasashi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandasashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 12:45am
i still think that sometimes it does come down to style... everyone, at every level has a zone that they arent as confident/good in and if the opponant plays in that zone, he has a shot even if hes ranked lower... just an opinion tho... ive played guys who were supposedly better than me but my deffensive abilities and consistency far from the table threw them off guard and they lost
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 12:50am
Originally posted by naijachief naijachief wrote:

If you look at Jafar's last tournament results on the USATT site, you will see he had chances of beating a 2500 and a 2600 player. Both went the full distance and one actually ended in duece.
Those were best of seven matches.  He lost one in 5 and the other in 6.
Cybershape Carbon
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 1:38am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Wacko

Riddle me this: what is an OX long pips player going to do to the ball other than return it dead with his pips, no matter where he places it?

Riddle me this: What OX Long Pips player of notable level is only going to use said pips for every service return? 

Of course, this could be moot if the guy Tim lost to was only using his pips for everything. In which case, I got nothin' LOL 

However, the asterisk of "no matter where he places it" doesn't work, because that wasn't even considered in the post I responded to. 

The comment I responded to was, " ..he could have easily served dead balls the entire time and finished the next ball. i'm surprised after this many years of training/matches he hasn't figured this out." 

This puts the dead ball serve as an ultimate answer to a pips player. If that's the case, no reason for anyone in the world to play pips because they are helpless all the time. Just serve dead and you win. If a pips player returns a well placed low shot with his pips from a dead serve, especially varying the pace, his placement can prevent the finishing of the next ball every single time. A low dead ball is harder to open with authority than a cut ball or topspin ball because there's no spin to use for your shot. You have to come up with all of it. 

I'd really want to see this video regardless. What's the name of the canadian player that uses MP/LP on one of those huge autograph blades? David Mahabir I think? I think it's a similar thing.  I saw this guy that beat Tim play Zhou Xin at the L.A. Open and Zhou Xin looked really bored beating him. But I think the guy got a game anyway. 

Edited by beeray1 - 12/10/2013 at 1:43am
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 1:40am
deleted double post. 

Edited by beeray1 - 12/10/2013 at 1:41am
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 1:48am
Watch the match between Dimitri Ovtcharov and Fabian Åkerström.  DO made quite a few "beginner" mistake against FA's LP (couldn't handle spin from his serve coming back, pushed a top spin ball, ...).  You cant assume since a player is at high level, he is comfortable playing against all styles.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 4:48am
These type of results crop up every so often, so what, the blocker will have his rating pulled down because against tight players ranked below him, who don't give him what he wants, he loses. Even with the gulf in standard between these two players, all it take is for Wang to go in over confident, then get the jitters, once the underdog smells blood reputation and class can go out of the window.

If both of them played the top 100 players in the USA, we all know who would have a massively higher win count.
Nine times out of ten freak results involve unorthodox/pips players, and technically superior players getting the jitters.

The doctor can live off his reputation from that win for the rest of his TT career, and good luck to him for it, and the army of coat tail swingers who are gonna beat him and think they have a chance with Wang by proxy.LOL
The Older I get, The better I was.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 7:31am

Wacko

Riddle me this: What OX Long Pips player of notable level is only going to use said pips for every service return? 

Of course, this could be moot if the guy Tim lost to was only using his pips for everything. In which case, I got nothin' LOL 

However, the asterisk of "no matter where he places it" doesn't work, because that wasn't even considered in the post I responded to. 

The comment I responded to was, " ..he could have easily served dead balls the entire time and finished the next ball. i'm surprised after this many years of training/matches he hasn't figured this out." 

This puts the dead ball serve as an ultimate answer to a pips player. If that's the case, no reason for anyone in the world to play pips because they are helpless all the time. Just serve dead and you win. If a pips player returns a well placed low shot with his pips from a dead serve, especially varying the pace, his placement can prevent the finishing of the next ball every single time. A low dead ball is harder to open with authority than a cut ball or topspin ball because there's no spin to use for your shot. You have to come up with all of it. 

I'd really want to see this video regardless. What's the name of the canadian player that uses MP/LP on one of those huge autograph blades? David Mahabir I think? I think it's a similar thing.  I saw this guy that beat Tim play Zhou Xin at the L.A. Open and Zhou Xin looked really bored beating him. But I think the guy got a game anyway. 

I really thought that you had some new answer -  a low dead ball is not harder to wipe out than a low chop ball for players at that level.  If the player twiddles or runs around, then isn't that an easier return for Tim?  The key is that he needs to know what is on the ball.  In any case, without seeing the match, this is fun speculation, but my point is that the long dead ball serve strategy is much more powerful than you think.  In any case, the key is to serve simple serves that you can read the return on.  They don't have to be pure dead balls, but they usually have less sidespin so the ball doesn't confuse you.  If Jafar is better at third ball returns and rallies than Tim, that is great, and he fully deserves his win.
Cybershape Carbon
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 8:35am
I have not seen Shuja play for a bit, but if I remember correctly he used to be a pretty good player some years back (I think he used to be a penholder and switched to shakehand with LP and SP as he got older and his footwork got worse).

He plays very smart and his style is very unconventional.  If he was having a good day and Tim was having a bad day, this is not that surprising of an outcome.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 8:40am

Wacko

If you have played with good ox lp player you would know that they can push really fast and low no spin returns to weird places. And you know it´s really hard to attack that kind of returns if you are not really really good player (and I mean world class). The cap between 2300 and 2600 isnt´huge if you are thinking about player that isn´t comfortable with lp plocking style.
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
nikk64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikk64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 8:51am
Olivier Mader vs. Shuja Jafar-2013.Oliver did not win this match-0: 3 for Jafar
Butterfly Boll Tricarbon off , FH- Armstrong Attack 8 PZC-SP EX-X- 4.0 , RPB-Butterfly Tenergy 80-FX- max
video-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0vx5
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2013 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Tommy16 Tommy16 wrote:

Wacko

If you have played with good ox lp player you would know that they can push really fast and low no spin returns to weird places. And you know it´s really hard to attack that kind of returns if you are not really really good player (and I mean world class). The cap between 2300 and 2600 isnt´huge if you are thinking about player that isn´t comfortable with lp plocking style.

2300 vs. 2600 - really?

Yes, I've played good OX LP players.  To believe that any of them would make up for a 300 pt difference against a player with the right strategy is something I find hard to believe.  Shujar's strength is clearly is forehand - that thing is a beast.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic