Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boosting or cheating - a valley of dry bones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boosting or cheating - a valley of dry bones
    Posted: 12/31/2013 at 10:56pm
This topic relates directly to the thread "the best rubber to use booster on". Feel free to read that thread to see where this piece fits into it. Or not.

Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Tassie,

Is it cheating if the OP just wants to play to have fun with friends and never enter competition? Have you assumed the OP wants to covertly gain advantage in sanctioned competition?

let us consider some options:
1. OP just wants to have fun with friends
2. OP wants to practise with boosted rubber and is happy to tell his practice partners that is what he is doing
3. OP wants to practise with boosted rubber but would rather not share that information
4. OP wants to compete using boosted rubber

1. Is it cheating if OP is just mucking about? This depends upon some other factors, but probably No. If OP's practice partners are happy to be playing against juiced up rubber, fine. But what if the practice partner really struggles to handle their opponent's additional speed/spin/control? At what point does the OP start to think, "Wow, this boosted rubber really gives me an advantage. I wonder what would happen if I played a serious match with this stuff?" Now there is the temptation to find out. I'm sure that as a theologian you understand why Jesus says to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan!"

2. Practising openly using boosted rubber. Why? Perhaps the OP believes that this will improve their basic technique and that when they play unboosted there will be a carry-over effect. It's not cheating in this scenario, however it obviously is going to lead to a problem: When the OP discovers that there is no improvement, are they then not tempted as in scenario 1?

3. Practising covertly. Yes, this is cheating. Why? After all, it's not a sanctioned competition. The reason lies in the nature of secrecy. Keeping something secret implies seeking to gain an advantage - probably not in the immediate situation, but later in competition. Otherwise, why not disclose that the OP is using boosted rubber? The cheating is in the future intentions of the OP.

4. Competing using boosted. Clearly breaking the rules of the game and therefore unarguably cheating.

I'm sure there are other scenarios beyond these four, and I'd be interested to consider them.

Now we need to assess the likelihood of these scenarios. I think we can easily dismiss 3 and 4 - practising with boosted to improve playing with unboosted is dumb. Nobody is going to do that.

Just playing and having fun with friends? This is the one that gets constantly thrown up in these discussions. Is it at all likely? No way. The people who post in this and other forums are serious about their table tennis. Even when we muck about, we're constantly evaluating what will work in competition. And we don't want to fool around with something if there is any risk it will negatively impact upon our playing level.

Another factor to take into consideration is the time and money involved in a boosted setup. I know we're all a little obsessed and throw way too much money into our hobby, but we tend to do it in search of the holy grail setup. Not for mucking about with friends. As I understand it, boosting takes hours not minutes. It's also risky - no-one wants to ruin their $80 sheet of Tenergy. It's a long term thing - buying and trying a range of rubber takes serious commitment to a lengthy process. I know I'm not prepared to waste all of this time and energy without any prospect of winning more games than I currently do, and I have serious doubts that anyone else does either.

Even so, I would be prepared to entertain the possibility of boosting just for fun if it weren't for the far, far greater likelihood that people boost for competition.

Three reasons:
1. We know that some (many? most?) professionals boost. We've seen the videos, we've heard the talk. And if professionals do it, then we have to do it too. Rationally we know that wearing shoes like Mike isn't going to make us play like Mike, but playing sport is hardly a rational exercise. Without any logic whatsoever, we emulate our heroes, even if it means breaking the rules. (Nice guys finish last, right?). If the professionals are breaking the rules of the game, that simply points to the inadequacy of policing the rules; it doesn't change the morality or otherwise of boosting. But, if it's good enough for the pros ...

2. We live in cultures that encourage rule-breaking. Some quick and easy examples: in some places, driving above the speed limit is the norm not the exception; minimising paying tax is seen as sensible rather than seen as robbing the public purse; if someone makes a mistake which is to our advantage, we are unlikely to draw it to their notice. It's a very short step to extend that mentality just a little further. If we can benefit from "bending the rules" (code for cheating) then we are willing to take some chances. Lance Armstrong, anyone?

3. Finally add into this mix words we hear again and again: "this rule is a joke". Which is weird if we stop long enough to ask, "Who appointed us as judges of the rightness or wrongness of society's rules." Somehow, Western society has twisted democracy into meaning that every individual knows what is best. If we think that a rule somehow stops us from getting what we want, then we're only too happy to break it. (See the speeding driver example above.)

For better or worse, sport is neither democratic nor anarchic. We can't pick and choose which rules we're prepared to follow. Nor can we gather together all of the table tennis players in the area and have a vote. Like it or not, the rule is the rule, and boosting is breaking that rule.

As I said before, feel free to break the rule, but be honest enough to admit that you're cheating.

So, in my mind, the only serious possibility out of the four scenarios is that the people discussing boosting in this thread are talking about how best to cheat. Feel free to convince me otherwise, but until then I'll continue to interpret "playing for fun" as boosting in order to win.

Edited by Tassie52 - 12/31/2013 at 10:57pm
Sponsored Links

eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2013 at 11:53pm
This completely disregards the many unsanctioned tournaments and clubs at least in the area where I live. I don't boost simply because of the inconsistency but very few care. Heck, there are 30+ year old mirrored/unapproved rubbers, out of hand/hidden ball serves , etc. everywhere...if there is a way to cheat it probably happens and most don't even realize they're doing it.  Not everyone is completely beholden to a governing T.T. body and players aren't turned away just because they don't have the exact required I.T.T.F equipment.  This is all so frequent that you'd probably just get laughed at if you complained.  I guess in this case Satan wins, heh. Evil Smile
Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 1:02am
Is there a rule that prevent people from using deteriorated rubbers? Because technically the rubbers start to deteriorate as soon as it is made…  

Maybe i am wrong...
I think the pros use a new sheet of fully factory-boosted rubbers(legal) right before each match because they have the sponsorship. Rich players can technically do the same

i do boost my rubbers but only to extend its life(when the build in speed glue effect wears off too much or i am loosing grip) because i cannot afford a new sheet every month. Although this is technically breaking the rules, i feel at peace with it because all i'm doing is trying to restore it back to 'normal.' In this frame of mind i am simply trying to play a rubber of the same performance without the cost of replacing it. 

A lot of people will complain that boosting old inverted rubber is wrong and unfair and wants you to play with the deteriorated rubber. But those same people will also complain about players who plays with deteriorated long pips and wants them to use sheets in new conditions. 

Also if we follow "2.4.7 The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment" strictly, does that mean that the moment i use sweat to clean the surface of the rubber it is no longer legal due to chemical treatment? or if i pressed a little too hard while glueing and stretched the sheet, is that physical treatment hence rendering the sheet illegal? 

I think Tassie have somegreat points but realistically i think there are lots and lots of loopholes in our rule book… 
I think if you do want to compete, part of that is learning to play with cheaters… Plus people who love short cuts are not likely to succeed anyways...

Edited by JohnnyChop - 01/01/2014 at 1:06am
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 1:46am
disclaimer: I do not boost my Rhyzm Max rubbers at all and I use WBG. 

tassie52 in the equipment section somehow reminds me of tiehwen in the fs one; a member full of principles defending them with doubtful motivations and a twist of anger, all along showing a lack of understanding people's situations.

IMO the following resumes perfectly why boosting is acceptable:

Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

i do boost my rubbers but only to extend its life(when the build in speed glue effect wears off too much or i am loosing grip) because i cannot afford a new sheet every month. Although this is technically breaking the rules, i feel at peace with it because all i'm doing is trying to restore it back to 'normal.' In this frame of mind i am simply trying to play a rubber of the same performance without the cost of replacing it. 

However it is impossible to play with a new Hurricane III neo the way we can play with a new boosted Hurricane III neo. So I still find it OK to boost a brand new rubber if it plays that better when boosted. I just remember that the glue ban was put in place for manufacturers to bring to market more expensive factory boosted products; it worked; the natural defensive move from users was to boost themselves so they would reach the new level unfairly imposed by rules only inspired by commercial motivations.

Do we really think the advent of the Tenergy line was not orchestrated in harmony with the glue ban implementation? wasn't the timing a bit too perfect?

I just think if the players' rackets pass the control desk and does not contain more than the allowed VOC content then we have nothing to say. Falco Temp Long allows that; good for them and the Hurricane lovers who can still play within budget.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 2:53am
Stuff I don't like:

Lots of noise and visual distractions when I'm playing matches.  Sometimes unavoidable, and it's really my problem, but it makes me really grumpy.
People serving out of their hands (because that is a really old rule at this point).
Absurd cho-ing (but I am well known to berate myself using foul words in multiple languages while playing, so who am I to complain). 
More than anything, ITTF constantly changing rules which goes hand in hand with corruption within ITTF and which is hurting the sport, not helping it (in part by driving up costs dramatically).
Current American rating systems in which people are tanking matches to win money in rating events (where is there any prize money for rating events?).
Days when I suck at ping pong and can't seem to do anything right.

Stuff I really can't get upset about:

If my opponent is boosting or for that matter using speed glue, as long as they use it before coming to the club so as to not stink up the place.

Maybe it's because I am not a professional player and my livelihood does not depend on it. 
Mostly though, I doubt that it makes any real practical difference if I am using Tenergy (which I can afford and which actually plays worse if you mess with it) and some other guy is using boosted H3  (or if another guy is boosting a previously factory-boosted rubber to extend it's life because he works two jobs to make a living or has a bunch of kids in school).  In fact, it's a matter of complete indifference to me what my opponent does to his blade or rubber.  It's not like a corked bat in baseball. 

I know some people feel differently and that is fine --- but I don't see boosting as evidence for the moral degradation of society or anything like that--especially given the process whereby a lot of these rules came into existence.   I am almost coming to the position that if people want to do this to tell ITTF where to shove their rules, well cool, aux barricades, mes amis!!!    Ultimately it's just ping pong and I play for fun.  I am not definitely going to call someone a cheater.  If we are going to go biblical on this one, there is "judge not, lest ye be judged". 

Tassie has all the facts on his side.  His arguments cannot be refuted.  I cannot deny it.  But I just can't get in a lather one way or another.  Maybe it is because it tacitly acknowledges that ITTF has a legitimacy that I think they are well on the way to losing??????
Wyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 3:36am
I struggle to call boosting a form of cheating. I understand that the rules clearly state that an individual is prohibited from boosting their rubbers, however I find it a complete joke that factories are able to apply booster to rubbers and have it be legal. I have played many people who boost, and I have zero issues with them doing it. It is a part of the game whether I like it or not, and it doesn't adversely affect my game personally.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 3:52am
Finally Tassie has to come up with a long "anti-cheating" post of his own here at Mytt.net.  Wink 
He was by far the staunchest Adham supporter at the OOAK forum, no matter how many clear instances of conflict of interest were found on Adham's administration.  He just brushed them aside as if they never happened and continued with his blind support of all crazy ITTF rule changes.  He finally gave up arguing for Adham and left that chatroom for good.  I don't buy a word from this guy, because everyone already knows since Kindergarten that you are supposed to blindly follow all rules.  Thanks Tassie but I have already learned it in Kindergarten!  The main question here is the "no boosting" rule's true intent:  Why are pros still free to use boosted rubbers and manufacturers still allowed to supply them "under the table", but we can't? 

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 3:55am
We should also not forget that speed gluing was openly done and accepted over 20years, even though, according to the ITTF it was always against the rules. Then they banned it for health reasons, stating that manufacturers would come up with VOC free alternative. The manufacturers did exactly this, and then the ITTF banned it by equating it to doping in other sports, and justifying this by stating that it had always been against the rules, and made adjustment to the wording in the rules accordingly. AngryOuchConfused

Most rules are very logical and obviously brought in for the right reasons for the benefit of our sport. Others I can accept when the reasons are explained, even if I don' quite agree with them. I can't say the same for boosting as I've not seen a valid explanation.

For the records, I don't boost my rubbers for competition because it's again the current rules, but I could not give a toss if someone else boost their rubber, as I don't believe the rules was brought in via ethical and transparent means, and in addition it's brought chaos to our sport, and the ITTF seem incapable or unwilling to admit they did something wrong.

Sure, we can get all self-righteous and moral about someone technically breaking the rules and 'cheating' by boosting, but I'd rather direct my outrage at the people who make these rules that cannot be enforced, and have had a huge negative impact to our sport! Creating confusion among players and spectators, and a nightmare for umpires and referees, and then there is the extra costs of equipment...

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 5:00am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Finally Tassie has to come up with a long "anti-cheating" post of his ... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah ... "

You don't like me. If you want to drag up the past then feel free.

I did have a sensible reply prepared but now RoundRobin has revealed my evil ways I suppose I'd better bugger off.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 11:16am
I have said it before and I'll say it again.
A player can use any substance to glue his bat as long as it passes the ITTF test.
The ITTF position and rules were unenforceable the day that they stopped regulating/approving glues.

Edited by Tinykin - 01/01/2014 at 12:51pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 11:21am
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

Is there a rule that prevent people from using deteriorated rubbers? ..............

i do boost my rubbers but only to extend its life(when the build in speed glue effect wears off too much or i am loosing grip) because i cannot afford a new sheet every month. Although this is technically breaking the rules, 
A lot of people will complain that boosting old inverted rubber is wrong and unfair and wants you to play with the deteriorated rubber. But those same people will also complain about players who plays with deteriorated long pips and wants them to use sheets in new conditions. 
Also if we follow "2.4.7 The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment" strictly, does that mean that the moment i use sweat to clean the surface of the rubber it is no longer legal due to chemical treatment? or if i pressed a little too hard while glueing and stretched the sheet, is that physical treatment hence rendering the sheet illegal? 

You do realise that the rule that's used for saying that boosting is illegal, carried to its logical conclusion, means that any rubber that has lost its edge is also illegal. So all of us with 6 months old equipment are technically also 'Cheaters'.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 1:21pm
I guess it's just the wild west out there.

Five main groups;

(1) Players who have never used speed glue/boosters/tuners either when they were legal or after the ban.

(2) Players who used speed glue/boosters/tuners when they were legal and still do.

(3) Players who came into the game after the ban, but use tuners/boosters.

(4) Players who came into the game after the ban and don't use tuners/boosters.

(5) players who used speed glue/tuners/boosters before the ban but don't now because they don't want to break the rules.

Just my observation, but there is one factor that is prevalent across all 5, and not immediately apparent, the individual style of play. Loopers and drivers are far more likely to turn a blind eye because tuning things up is beneficial to their game.
Blockers, choppers, flat hitters etc, are more likely to be against any form of equipment boosting because it is detrimental to their game.

That leaves a small minority that have ethics, mainly from group (5)

The Older I get, The better I was.
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 2:35pm
I never boosted and probably never will. But I gotta say, Tassie, get off your high horse. It's uncalled for. I don't like your post. Had to put it out there. 
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 2:49pm
PEOPLE OF NIPPON LANDS, NATION OF INBORN DIGNITY ::: I LOVE YOU.

Manufacturers of JAPAN are all famous for their flawless honesty because of the Japan NationaL Dignity Code.

To save my life no Jap's rubber maker will ever trespass the Code and do any posterior boosting on his standard rubber to benefit one player to others.

NONE PREFERENCE , EQUAL CHANCE FOR EVERY PLAYER. -- Japan manufacturers life's guidance never trespassed.    
None pro player, Timo Ball caunted, can have any hope of getting non-standard, "enhanced" rubber from Japanese plants directly. Not the least chance at all.    

Nippon's native players will always scorn anyone doing chemical extra tuning on his rubbers, as considering the rubber tuning behind scene a grave and unworthy wrongdoing.   

JAPANESE are certainly the nation of absolute personal integrity of all others on the Globe.

Hi, Japanese, I love you all..       
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 3:09pm
First of all, let me say that I do not break the ITTF rules in competitions, otherwise I would be using illegal frictionless long pips but instead I am using legal frictionless anti which is much more difficult to play. I also do not use boosted rubbers in competitions but I do use boosted rubbers in practice to extend the lifetime of the expensive T05 I like to play. After 3 month of play the sponge of the T05 looses its dynamic while the topsheet is still plenty spinny so I apply a couple of layers of booster and use the rubber for another 4-6 weeks. I cannot afford to always buy a new T05 because I have a son in college (bloodsuckers!...but that would be another discussion).
On the other hand I do not really care what other people do with their rubbers/bats that I face in competition. I actually believe that a lot of the dudes who boost their rubbers would play better without. Though it is always easy to spot the boosters when the boys are warming up with loop-loop drills and you can hear a sound...well, no rubbers out of the package have it.
What I do not like is when people say that it is okay for them to boost since all the pros are doing it. Or people tell me that the rule is ridiculous and so they violate it. If there is a rule or law you do not like go and do something about it but do not just break it. People should have some moral and ethics and not always point at somebody or something else to justify breaking rules.

Edited by Matt Pimple - 01/01/2014 at 3:11pm
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 3:48pm
Well Tassie, I believe a year or 2 ago you would have got more support but each year since 2008 players get less and less hung up about any form of tuning, Although I never got into the speed glue thing years ago and even now I have yet to try boosting, (just not bothered)

Am I strange? because if I was not playing in competition I would just use the cheapest oldest gear and never worry about any kind of tuning or buying the latest rubber, I only see the benefit If I wanted to do better in competition,
I don't believe most players who say they tune for practice but don't for competition (just doesn't fit)

Also don't worry Tassie most players you and I see wouldn't know what tuning was

Edited by smackman - 01/01/2014 at 3:50pm
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 6:18pm
I think boosting and it being illegal is money driven. Nothing more.

Companies can charge your 80 bucks a sheet for their factory tuned rubbers (which is legal) yet you can't do it yourself. They brand these fancy rubbers as having extra kick & spin... Well yeah. Have you smelled those things brand new?

I switch between pips & inverted a lot. I boost when I play inverted because I think it's highway robbery to spend that much on a rubber. Instead I buy the plethora of solid $14 dollar rubbers out there (ex: zeropong or megaspin) and boost those. 

In the end what happens? I play against other tenergy members whose rubbers are still superior to mine. But the gap is closed somewhat. I'm certainly not playing with an advantage. After all that is in theory the point of making something illegal right? When someone has an unfair advantage. I certainly do not. So what's the fuss?

It's simply cost effective for me to do it that way vs spending the outrageous prices of rubbers that are factory tuned for say 4 months before the effect wears off.

I'll stop boosting the moment factory tuned rubbers become illegal.

Edited by suds79 - 01/01/2014 at 6:37pm
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

In the end what happens? I play against other tenergy members whose rubbers are still superior to mine. But the gap is closed somewhat. I'm certainly not playing with an advantage. After all that is in theory the point of making something illegal right? When someone has an unfair advantage. I certainly do not. So what's the fuss?
this is gold!!!
"after I boost my super cheap rubbers, the Tenergy are still better so I don't cheat" LOLLOLLOL
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 6:56pm
A few notes about things in various posts:

1.  Don't compare tuning to driving over the speed limit.  Tuning gives you an advantage over your direct opponent.  Unless you're racing (while sticking to the speed limit) there is no opponent when driving.  Yes, both things are breaking the rules, but 1 is to gain an advantage over your opponent.
2.  It doesn't matter that pros are doing it.  2 wrongs don't make a right.  Haven't you ever heard someone say "If X jumped off the bridge, would you jump too?"
3.  Comparing your untuned rubber to your opponents expensive rubber is an absolute joke.  Do you switch to an untuned rubber when your opponent is using cheap rubbers (or anti/pips)?  If not, they you have an unfair advantage over your opponent.  

Tuning is cheating as you are intentionally breaking the rules to improve your game (if it didn't help, why do it?) and improve your chances against your opponent.  

All that being said, people will continue to cheat and nothing anyone says will stop them.  They will rationalize it any way they can.  Unless someone is stupid enough to admit it during competition in front of the umpire, or do such a poor job that it exceeds the thickness limit, there's no way to catch the cheaters.

It all comes down to your own moral compass.

I didn't start playing until after the speed glue ban.  I have never speed glued or tuned, but that's just me.  I did at one point try someone's paddle that had been speed glued a few days prior, and I do understand the appeal.

I like to look at the issue this way:
The game should be decided at the table - based on skill, talent, intelligence, strategy, athletic ability, and even a little luck.  You shouldn't gain an advantage based on your knowledge of chemistry or trial and error of different glues, tuners, etc.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 7:45pm
You said "2 wrongs don't make a right" but you should say instead "3 wrongs don't make a right" as in addition of the pros and the people you unfairly call "cheaters", the manufacturers also tune their rubbers and that in exchange for a fee part of which goes back to the rule makers; in the end if all parties are "cheaters" then none is. If that is not obvious to you then you are blind, naive or hypocrite; maybe all of the above; but again you are free to be an authority sucker upper even though you make yourself a morally condemnable corrupt defending morally corrupt practices.
Your stance above is basically justifying racketeering; question: during alcohol prohibition, would you say the owner of a speakeasy was morally so wrong if a local corrupt government was protecting a given criminal organization free to produce and distribute alcohol in exchange for a kickback?

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 8:14pm
I have another take on the moral compass argument.  I think the ITTF's justifications for these rule changes changes do not pass the smell test and never did, so if people want to be subversive about it, it is fine with me.  For the same reason, the tournaments we run at our club are never sanctioned by USATT.  It is not just that we don't get anything in return, it is partly that we have some issues with the entire organization and their decision making/governance processes. 

I can't get over Adham Sharara's pious preaching about "a clean sport" and "health effects" when talking about boosters -- stuff made from baby oil!  I do not believe what he says.  He has been lying about celluloid, I don't believe his explanations for any of the controversies that follow him like a shadow, and I would like to have my sport returned to the control of the people who play it.  One way to do this is simply to take control.

I know, without rules there is chaos, and all that.  I guess at this point I just don't care.  And I would also say, if there is chaos without rules, then be very careful about the rules you make.

Short version of this post:  kind of what fatt says.

ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 8:20pm
I know you aren't meant to comment about politics 'n stuff but I think this helps to see where Tassie is coming from:

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/blogs/the-backpacker/australia-the-great-nanny-state-20110503-1e6hf.html
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I guess it's just the wild west out there.

Five main groups;

(1) Players who have never used speed glue/boosters/tuners either when they were legal or after the ban.

(2) Players who used speed glue/boosters/tuners when they were legal and still do.

(3) Players who came into the game after the ban, but use tuners/boosters.

(4) Players who came into the game after the ban and don't use tuners/boosters.

(5) players who used speed glue/tuners/boosters before the ban but don't now because they don't want to break the rules.

Just my observation, but there is one factor that is prevalent across all 5, and not immediately apparent, the individual style of play. Loopers and drivers are far more likely to turn a blind eye because tuning things up is beneficial to their game.
Blockers, choppers, flat hitters etc, are more likely to be against any form of equipment boosting because it is detrimental to their game.

That leaves a small minority that have ethics, mainly from group (5)

I'll add:

(6) players who used speed glue/tuners/boosters before the ban but don't now because they don't play competitively (at least not at the same level as before) and are too lazy to glue/boost. The rule is a convenient justification for said laziness.

lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 8:47pm
the rule:
Law 2.04.07 - The covering material should be used as it has been authorised by the ITTF without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying playing properties, friction, outlook, colour, structure, surface, etc.

Does anyone expect local clubs to actually try and enforce this rule; If so how and at what cost does one expect clubs to monitor open play,RR and local tournaments to  enforce this rule.  What would be required in equipment and manpower,etc. How broadly should it be interpreted ;if it can be interpreted at all, it seems the Olympics or world championships can take up this task otherwise the rule has no bearing for 99.9 percent of the TT players. 
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

It's not like a corked bat in baseball.  
A corked bat in baseball will allow a hitter to hit the ball further and have a better shot at hitting a home run (assuming he can contact the ball well enough to begin with.)

A boosted rubber is like a corked bat.  It allows a person to spin the ball better, giving them a better chance of landing their loops on the table due to the extra spin, which allows them to swing faster and with more power with that additional margin of error the additional spin provides.

Does anyone remember watching the pros right after the 2008 Olympics when the speed glue ban first went into effect.  Do you remember how bad the rallies looked.  That was because they didn't have speed glue for the extra spin and boosting was introduced shortly after everyone realized the pro's game looked really bad after banning speed glue.

Boosting enhances performance for most rubbers.  If it didn't, no one would do it and there wouldn't be discussions about to best boost a rubber.  If a person boosts and is able to land shots that he may not with his his non-boosted rubber, how is that not giving that person an advantage over someone who isn't boosting?
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

PEOPLE OF NIPPON LANDS, NATION OF INBORN DIGNITY ::: I LOVE YOU.

Manufacturers of JAPAN are all famous for their flawless honesty because of the Japan NationaL Dignity Code.

To save my life no Jap's rubber maker will ever trespass the Code and do any posterior boosting on his standard rubber to benefit one player to others.

NONE PREFERENCE , EQUAL CHANCE FOR EVERY PLAYER. -- Japan manufacturers life's guidance never trespassed.    
None pro player, Timo Ball caunted, can have any hope of getting non-standard, "enhanced" rubber from Japanese plants directly. Not the least chance at all.    

Nippon's native players will always scorn anyone doing chemical extra tuning on his rubbers, as considering the rubber tuning behind scene a grave and unworthy wrongdoing.   

JAPANESE are certainly the nation of absolute personal integrity of all others on the Globe.

Hi, Japanese, I love you all..       

Yeah, ask them about WWII. Angry

Edited by jt99sf - 01/02/2014 at 2:29pm
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

You said "2 wrongs don't make a right" but you should say instead "3 wrongs don't make a right" as in addition of the pros and the people you unfairly call "cheaters", the manufacturers also tune their rubbers and that in exchange for a fee part of which goes back to the rule makers; in the end if all parties are "cheaters" then none is. If that is not obvious to you then you are blind, naive or hypocrite; maybe all of the above; but again you are free to be an authority sucker upper even though you make yourself a morally condemnable corrupt defending morally corrupt practices.
Your stance above is basically justifying racketeering; question: during alcohol prohibition, would you say the owner of a speakeasy was morally so wrong if a local corrupt government was protecting a given criminal organization free to produce and distribute alcohol in exchange for a kickback?

It's not unfair at all to call them "cheaters."  They are breaking the rules to gain an advantage over people following the rules - might as well be the definition.
Look, I don't like the rule for 2 reasons - there's no way to enforce it and the manufacturers can do it.  
Yeah, I think the manufacturers are in bed with the rule makers and it's not right.  They are screwing us all and we know it.  But when you tune/boost you're not screwing them over, you are screwing your opponent over.  Not once did I defend what the manufacturers are doing but you don't implement change by silently ignoring the rules.
It's all about a level playing field (yeah, it's not completely level because some people have more money and/or time).  If you want to hold leagues and tournaments where tuning/boosting/speed gluing is legal - I'd be all for it.  Everyone knows what they are signing up for when they enter.  When you enter a league or tournament you are expected to follow the rules.  If you don't like the rules, either change them or don't enter.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I have another take on the moral compass argument.  I think the ITTF's justifications for these rule changes changes do not pass the smell test and never did, so if people want to be subversive about it, it is fine with me.  For the same reason, the tournaments we run at our club are never sanctioned by USATT.  It is not just that we don't get anything in return, it is partly that we have some issues with the entire organization and their decision making/governance processes. 

I can't get over Adham Sharara's pious preaching about "a clean sport" and "health effects" when talking about boosters -- stuff made from baby oil!  I do not believe what he says.  He has been lying about celluloid, I don't believe his explanations for any of the controversies that follow him like a shadow, and I would like to have my sport returned to the control of the people who play it.  One way to do this is simply to take control.

I know, without rules there is chaos, and all that.  I guess at this point I just don't care.  And I would also say, if there is chaos without rules, then be very careful about the rules you make.

Short version of this post:  kind of what fatt says.

You are going about it the right way.  When you run a tournament or a league that isn't sanctioned, you can use your own rules.   If the rules you create/follow allow for tuning or speed gluing then that's perfectly fine.  You as the tournament director are effectively protesting the rule and letting the players know it (hopefully they know it).  That makes for an even playing field. 
Depending on how you explain why the rules are different, it brings to light what you think is wrong with the system and enlightens others.  That encourages others to do the same and hopefully leads to changes.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 9:31pm
I suspect that even in our unsanctioned tournaments not a lot of people boost, in large measure because most players in our area are already using rubbers that would not benefit a lot by boosting anyway.  If our tournaments were sanctioned we still wouldn't be able to test for it.  We don't have the machines.  (I sure would be curious to know about financial relationships if any between companies that make these machines and ITTF people).

The worst thing about these rules is that they (1) have not improved the sport and (2) have added a completely unnecessary source of discord among the community of players, as evidenced by the existence of this thread.  Qui bene?  None of us.
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2014 at 11:04pm
There is a lot of insightful posts and arguments flowing in this thread. But without going into a philosophical debate about perception of "legality and validity", I think the bottom line here is whether "boosting equals cheating". So, we know that factory tuned/boosted rubbers are all good and legal and they offer speed glue effects that enhances spin, speed, etc. Well, while individual boosting may as well be illegal, I would dare say, it is not straight up cheating as a lot of people point out. 

So, people are saying that when a rich guy buys a $70 Tenergy and other tensors that are boosted and only considered "legal" because of a stamp certified by wannabe ITTF is all kosher, right? And when the rich guy plays against a "cheap rubber" opponent it's all good and well, right? 
"Sorry, bro, too bad you are too broke to get a piece of high quality good ass Tenergy. Gotta deal with it, bro"

But when a "cheap rubber" guy boosts his rubber to slightly increase its performance to match the "tenergy" guy, people be like "OH HELL NO, YOU PIECE OF CHEATING CRAP". Please, explain the logic to me? Because so far all I read is capitalist crap from well-off people that ride their high moral horses preaching what is after all and obviously "legal" only due to magic of arbitrary reasonings. 

To sum up: Yes, boosting is illegal, but is it cheating? No, not at all. As long rubbers are legally pre-tuned by manufactures. 

That's like saying "You can only buy cigarettes produced by certified brands and homemade cigarettes are illegal and deemed unhealthy and unsanitary." Can you see what I mean? 

Disclaimer: I never boosted, probably never will but I do not agree how privileged folk go around and about and call people names and cheaters just because they think they are entitled to. 
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic