Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Edge Tape

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Edge Tape
    Posted: 01/15/2014 at 7:40pm
********* PLEASE NOTE THAT I POSTED THIS IN THE FOR SALE SECTION ALSO *********

All -

Just taking a quick (and informal) poll.

Would you, hypothetically, be interested in purchasing custom edge tape (when I say custom, you could get your name, your club name, a logo, etc), and if so, how much would you be willing to pay (per racket) for it? The quality would be comparable to the butterfly edge tape (the blue one with the pink butterfly logo).

I ask because I have been working closely with a friend of mine who owns a print shop -- and we have come up with a really good product that pretty much mimics the BTY edge tape. Just trying to figure out if it is a product anyone would purchase!

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Gordy

Edited by Gordy - 01/15/2014 at 7:52pm
JOOLA Nobilis / SP (FH)/ Rhyzm Tech (BH)
Sponsored Links

lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2014 at 8:57pm
Fast Paddle provides one free with there name imprinted on it, actually its  quality edge tape.  My imput would be to consider contacting clubs as they do fun raisers and your idea might be a good vehicle for that.
Hard to say what the TT community on an individual basis would pay but probably little or no more then what they currently are using.  FWIW  
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2014 at 9:30pm
Thanks, Lineup. I am not trying to make a business out of this -- as the old saying goes, "no one ever got rich on edge tape!" I am just trying to see if there is a market to cover our costs.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2014 at 10:30pm
I would be (frankly) more interested in getting the width I need. It seems that nobody sells 14-15 mm edge tape. If you know a store that does, let me know.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2014 at 11:21pm
I don't know a store that does, but the machine we are using can easily accommodate. Forgive me for my ignorance, but is that a common request? I thought most blades were between 5 - 7 mm + 2 x 2.2 max sponge = 11.2 mm max. Is it because you wrap your edge tape on the blade itself?

Again, sorry for so many questions! I am just trying to learn...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2014 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

I don't know a store that does, but the machine we are using can easily accommodate. Forgive me for my ignorance, but is that a common request? I thought most blades were between 5 - 7 mm + 2 x 2.2 max sponge = 11.2 mm max. Is it because you wrap your edge tape on the blade itself?

Again, sorry for so many questions! I am just trying to learn...

Thickness of an inverted rubber is usually around 4 mm, so with my 7 mm blade you get 15 mm.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 1:01am
I think our club would like it.  Best in 15 mm.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 12:19pm
Depends on the pricing of course. But I would buy a 10-blade roll for 10-12 dollars just to support you guys... especially if I can customize the picture/text.

Something along the lines - "my other blade is Excalibur" Wink or perhaps "Boston Table Tennis Club".

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 1:03pm
I'm looking for more "Tenergy Tape 12mm. Rare as hen's teeth.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 1:53pm
I'd be up for it. I think it's a good idea. You could put club names or personal names/nicknames. If you could also come up with some lightly padded edge tape to help protect the edge of your racket that would be a good seller. Some blades are a little fragile and my buddy uses edge tape like you use around windows/doors to seal them better. It looks a bit odd but it does the trick.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 2:37pm
JimT - where I am with my cost right now, I think the 10 blade for $10 is going to be virtually impossible...The economies of scale don't really kick in at such a low quantity. $10 for a 10-blade is where most of the big manufacturers are right now from paddle palace, etc -- and they are producing mass quantities.

Also, is it a big deal if a "ten pack" isn't in a roll -- but ten pre-cut strips? I was thinking the strips would be 50cm, which is the longest I can find right now. I have seen 40's and 45's also...but 50 is the longest single-blade strip I have seen yet.

I am working on being able to customize the cut from 10mm - 15mm. Do I really need an 8mm?

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your feedback and suggestions...I hope to have more answers as the comments/suggestions come in - so keep 'em rolling.

I still don't know if I can pull this off given where my costing is right now, but I am sure as heck going to give it a try.
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 2:39pm
JimT - wouldn't it have to be BAHston Table Tennis...

See - that is exactly what I am talking about - you could really have fun with this. You can get one that says BAHston, you could get a BOSTON STRONG (although there might be some copyright issues), heck, you could even get an "I HATE THE YANKEES" design with pinstripes and all...

Edited by Gordy - 01/16/2014 at 2:46pm
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 2:46pm
AndySmith was good enough to send me an email with his club name and logo. I had a couple of minutes this morning to whip this up as an example.

Obviously, everything in this can change (background, fonts), but I really liked how clean this looked. I especially liked the wood background... As an FYI, this pattern would be repeated three times over a 45cm (x 12mm) strip of edge tape.

Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 3:03pm
JimT -

This took me all of three minutes to put together...I am hoping I can make this business work, because I think it could really be a lot of fun!
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 3:39pm
Good and fun idea. As with most things... cost determines success or not.

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 3:52pm
I think it's a good idea. It's another way for a club to make a little money similar to selling T-shirts to members. But the problem is that one roll would probably last a long time so few repeat customers.
But then again a sidetape that says "TINYKIN, world's greatest player...hmmmm?
Or, "move your feet, you lazy.....

Edited by Tinykin - 01/16/2014 at 3:55pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 3:58pm
As the old saying goes that I just invented...

"No one ever got rich off of edge tape."
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 8:12pm

JimT -

This took me all of three minutes to put together...I am hoping I can make this business work, because I think it could really be a lot of fun!

Ehh... some people will like it. For me it's a bit too much. I fully understand people wearing Boston Strong T-shirts and all... but that kind of statement making is not for me.

I would be quite happy with Bahston Table Tennis Club Wink but I know that will not sell too many rolls. I am pretty sure though that my Boston TTC clubmates will buy regular edge tape which simply says NEW ENGLAND TABLE TENNIS which would be generic enough to also satisfy those who go to Waltham TTC, Boston TTA, Newton Chinese Club and others. Not to mention guys from NH, RI, VT, ME and CT. Blue background is nice. Most popular width should be 12 and 15 mm, I  think.

What kind of pricing do you envision? Just the ballpark for starters...

Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2014 at 11:30pm
JimT - as I said, it took a grand total of three minutes, so nothing wasted!

Just a quick update for those that might be interested.

It is premature right now to talk about price. I spent some time with my printer going over some options in terms of how we are going to print, cut, etc. I absolutely love the quality of the material and glue right now, but to use the current material is going to require some changes to the print process. I had some samples made and brought them to the club tonight, and everyone was pretty pleased with the quality of materials and quality of printing.

Where I sit right now, I think it is going to be too expensive for me to do one at a time unless I basically take orders and "hold" them until I can print multiples.at the same time. Once I get this rolling, I think that is a definite possibility - but for starters, I think the one-offs might be tough. I am meeting with the printer again to discuss this, and we will see what he says. Right now, my real "target" point is printing in batches of 100 -- that doesn't mean 100 of the same, but 100 at a time. So in essence, I could print 100 different individual pieces of edge tape for the same price as 100 of the same.

So here is a question - would you mind waiting a 1-2 weeks for delivery after order? I was thinking that if I had to go this route, I wouldn't collect payment until the pieces actually went to print. That way the buyer could be protected from the time delay.

Also, for those that might want to buy 10 or 100 pieces, is it a big deal if the pieces come individually cut rather than in a roll? Again, this is really important relative to the method we are going to use to print them.

So that's today's update.

I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone for helping me figure this out. I am still really hopeful I am able to move forward with this. Not only do I think there is a small business to be built here, but I think this could be a really cool addition to the sport and us as players.

I hope to have more tomorrow. Feel free to PM me with any questions!
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 3:45am

Custom Tape is really cool idea!

Can't find much tape to choose from at our local TT supply. So over the years I have tried several substitutes such as :
Duct tape, cut to just the right size. Very heavy duty and very durable, also quite heavy, comes in metallic dull gray.
Bookbinding Tape, Very nice, comes in many bright colors, and not too heavy as duct tape.
The Double Sided Adhesive Tape is my favorite, very thin with adhesive on both sides. This allows me to use multiple types of ribbons with different types of material, texture, design and colors. I can swipe my daughters' Hello Kitty ribbon and use it as side tape he he he. Possibilities are endless.
And I can print any logo, text or graphic on most materials and use these as sidetape.
Just the thoughts of some old overweight TT addict with to much time and too little game. he he
Good luck on your Side Tape venture, great contribution to our sport. 
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 5:02am
If I order tape for 100 blades, how much would that cost me?

I think you should be able to compete with these prices:
http://www.tabletennis11.com/eur_eng/nittaku-edge-tape-stripe-guard-tt64267856#.Utj9NPt_j1E

They are for 1 blade but are also better quality compared to normal. So if quality is like the normal butterfly like you said, you can ask the same price for it being custom.
Something like the Donic sidetape with our clubname would be nice:
(Just made it in a paint quickly to get an idea)

Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 9:30am

JimT - as I said, it took a grand total of three minutes, so nothing wasted!

Just a quick update for those that might be interested.

It is premature right now to talk about price. I spent some time with my printer going over some options in terms of how we are going to print, cut, etc. I absolutely love the quality of the material and glue right now, but to use the current material is going to require some changes to the print process. I had some samples made and brought them to the club tonight, and everyone was pretty pleased with the quality of materials and quality of printing.

Where I sit right now, I think it is going to be too expensive for me to do one at a time unless I basically take orders and "hold" them until I can print multiples.at the same time. Once I get this rolling, I think that is a definite possibility - but for starters, I think the one-offs might be tough. I am meeting with the printer again to discuss this, and we will see what he says. Right now, my real "target" point is printing in batches of 100 -- that doesn't mean 100 of the same, but 100 at a time. So in essence, I could print 100 different individual pieces of edge tape for the same price as 100 of the same.

So here is a question - would you mind waiting a 1-2 weeks for delivery after order? I was thinking that if I had to go this route, I wouldn't collect payment until the pieces actually went to print. That way the buyer could be protected from the time delay.

Also, for those that might want to buy 10 or 100 pieces, is it a big deal if the pieces come individually cut rather than in a roll? Again, this is really important relative to the method we are going to use to print them.

So that's today's update.

I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone for helping me figure this out. I am still really hopeful I am able to move forward with this. Not only do I think there is a small business to be built here, but I think this could be a really cool addition to the sport and us as players.

I hope to have more tomorrow. Feel free to PM me with any questions!

I wouldn't mind waiting two weeks, no rush.

Actually when I go to the club next time I will talk to the main coach there - he sells blades/rubbers/accessories. I will ask him if he would be interested in ordering a 100-blade roll of NEW ENGLAND TABLE TENNIS edge tape. He does rackets for people all the time - I will ask him about the most popular width, too.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 10:48am
No rush.  I think most people prefer rolls of tape.
The Observer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 11:02am
I am definitely interested in buying some.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 12:57pm
I would definitely be interested in buying some and wouldn't mind waiting a couple weeks.
Thanks
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 2:56pm
OK, mid-day update. The printer I am working with just can't be competitive on pricing (he is at $3.25 cost, based on running 100 at a time). My goal is to sell 100 for $200, so that obviously won't work unless I love the sport and you guys so much that I shell out $125. Not a good way to run a business.

I am meeting on Monday with another printer to discuss options.

Guys, this is doable. Please just sit-tight as I work through logistics and find a printer to work with, with the same quality product, that can handle what we (and I say we since this seems to be a group effort) need at a price that is reasonable. Please keep throwing ideas, suggestions, thoughts and comments my way.

Thanks for all of your input and patience. I have kept names from people posting - my goal is to get some production samples done and send them out to you guys for testing. I will continue to keep you posted.

I hope we can do this!

Edited by Gordy - 01/17/2014 at 2:58pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 3:00pm
what are the options in terms of colors/fonts ?
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 3:05pm
Unlimited. Full customization. Logos, fonts, colors, etc.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 3:06pm

Unlimited. Full customization. Logos, fonts, colors, etc.

Nice !!  Thanks !
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2014 at 3:28pm
Thomasson - thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic