Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Xiom Vega Blades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 11:00am
the Feel SX sounds like a good (character) range for me.  Anyone tried it?
Sponsored Links

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 12:36pm
Feel AX was marked as almost stiff on the blade surface
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Feel AX was marked as almost stiff on the blade surface

I don't think it is possible to put much into thes ratings without any manufacturer specifications, particularly if it is made in China, where there is virtually no quality control. It can be made anywhere by anyone with almost anything. Sort of a shot in the dark.

Edited by richrf - 10/30/2017 at 12:43pm
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

... if it is made in China, where there is virtually no quality control. It can be made anywhere by anyone with almost anything. Sort of a shot in the dark.

Careful with the sweeping generalizations.  Not sure where you get the idea that there is no virtually no quality control for anything made in China but that's just false - not just in general, but for table tennis products too.  In China, like everywhere else, quality control is mostly a function of how much resources the manufacturer is willing to spend on quality control - and on throwing out items that aren't up to snuff. 

The relevant question would be: what do we know about the quality control for made in china Xiom blades?  I certainly don't have a definitive answer, but I do know that it's good enough for their M.i.C. blades to earn high praises on most forums...  

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by ohwell ohwell wrote:

... if it is made in China, where there is virtually no quality control. It can be made anywhere by anyone with almost anything. Sort of a shot in the dark.

Careful with the sweeping generalizations.  Not sure where you get the idea that there is no virtually no quality control for anything made in China but that's just false - not just in general, but for table tennis products too.  In China, like everywhere else, quality control is mostly a function of how much resources the manufacturer is willing to spend on quality control - and on throwing out items that aren't up to snuff. 

The relevant question would be: what do we know about the quality control for made in china Xiom blades?  I certainly don't have a definitive answer, but I do know that it's good enough for their M.i.C. blades to earn high praises on most forums...  

Manufacturing QC in China is a joke, and I'm being as careful as this subject warrants. The only concern is maximizing profits, period. That is why all manufacturing is being moved there. Manufactures that have their own factories like Butterfly is the way I always liked it. I like it even more when companies put the composition of their products on the label. Tough to find high quality products anywhere any more. Just a shame.

Edited by richrf - 10/30/2017 at 1:11pm
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 1:23pm

Manufacturing QC in China is a joke, and I'm being as careful as this subject warrants. The only concern is maximizing profits, period. That is why all manufacturing is being moved there. Manufactures that have their own factories like Butterfly is the way I always liked it. I like it even more when companies put the composition of their products on the label. Tough to find high quality products anywhere any more. Just a shame.

Ok this is getting way off topic, so I'll leave it at that. 
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 1:38pm
These blades are made by Xiom, not by a company in China. If there is any quality control problem, it is Xiom's problem, not china's. It is not fair to blame everything made in China on China. 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 1:45pm

I think that these blades are made in China which gives the factory lots of wiggle room without published specifications. This is what I meant by cryptic. Thanks again!

Feel ZX2, ZX3, HX Pro, HX, SX, S7 are Made in Japan
Feel ZX1, AX are Made in China
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

I think that these blades are made in China which gives the factory lots of wiggle room without published specifications. This is what I meant by cryptic. Thanks again!

Feel ZX2, ZX3, HX Pro, HX, SX, S7 are Made in Japan
Feel ZX1, AX are Made in China

Thanks. I noticed that the ZX3 was made in Japan, and I sent an inquiry to Xiom about the composition as well as whether they are actually using 250 year old Kiso Honoki trees. In any case, it is probably too fast for me. The AX looked interesting and I did inquire into the composition of that blade, but if I buy, I'll probably try to get it locally so I can inspect it.

Edited by richrf - 10/30/2017 at 1:57pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 2:34pm
I like some of the blades in this range, but it feels like Xiom have thrown everything at the wall to see what sticks.  8 new blades and they're all Off or above?  I'm happy going a bit slower in my old age.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 3:15pm

I like some of the blades in this range, but it feels like Xiom have thrown everything at the wall to see what sticks.  8 new blades and they're all Off or above?  I'm happy going a bit slower in my old age.

Yeah, I'm also wondering what they are trying to do with this series.  Whatever it may be, they are doing a very bad job with messaging, and helping customers understand what the different blades are for.  My best guess is that they are doing a few things at once: mostly updating their lineup and releasing a (?) more affordable Z+carbon blade.

The entire Novus line has a dated look compared with their other lines. The retired Hayabusa line had a look that's a lot like the Novus blades.  Whereas the Feel blades look more like the Omega, Vega and Zeta.  Earlier this year they also released the Musa Asia and Musa Euro blades - all wood 5 and 7 ply.  

Then the Zx1 is by far the most affordable Zephilium-carbon blade they offer.

With these considerations in mind the two blades that remain most mysterious are the ZX2 and ZX3.  The price is up there with the Vega blades.. 

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 3:23pm
The Vega blades were flexy and OFF- in character when initially released. This was a good thing for me when I first used them but I can see why some people were turned off now.

The issue with making blades is figuring out what someone will use that hasn't already been designed. Until Xiom tells me which pros they are working with to design their blades or what their blades are designed to achieve, it's a dead end.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Luis.agr06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis.agr06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 10:16pm
Hey guy i acually have the the AX 88g and vega pro 85g. The AX is much harder and faster than vega pro but it does not lack control. It has crisp shart feeling that i found very enjoyable. Does remind me of a tm alc. I tried the Stradivarius too and there silimar too. 

Xiom Vega Pro
Rakza
Omega Asia
Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 4:38am
what is the head dimension of the ax?
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 9:56am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

The Vega blades were flexy and OFF- in character when initially released. This was a good thing for me when I first used them but I can see why some people were turned off now.

The issue with making blades is figuring out what someone will use that hasn't already been designed. Until Xiom tells me which pros they are working with to design their blades or what their blades are designed to achieve, it's a dead end.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the concerns you raise about the Vega blades have been taken into consideration with these blades. But yeah, they are pretty much slamming the brakes out of the gate on this release by doing such an abysmal job with PR. They should at the very least explain what each blade is meant to achieve in comparison with other Xiom blades. (Even if it’s just some 2 axis graph like Buttefly’s blade matrix.)
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 9:58am
Hmm accidental double post, how do I delete?

Edited by ohwell - 11/01/2017 at 9:59am
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 10:08am
When blades get into this price range range they have to clearly specify what they are made of and other specifications otherwise different factories can build whatever they want and there is no recourse for buyers, especially if they do not answer emails. So far my inquiries into the composition of AX and ZX3 are unanswered. Still, i know T11 does offer return privileges with buyer paying return postage.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 10:27am

When blades get into this price range range they have to clearly specify what they are made of and other specifications otherwise different factories can build whatever they want and there is no recourse for buyers, especially if they do not answer emails. So far my inquiries into the composition of AX and ZX3 are unanswered. Still, i know T11 does offer return privileges with buyer paying return postage.

I wish all manufacturers were this clear, but we're a long way away sadly.  

For construction, IMO SoulSpin are the benchmark.  I bought a SS-made Gewo blade recently and it has the construction printed on the box, including thickness of each ply.  The only thing missing is the raw info about the carbon layer, but that's nit picking.  

In the absence of the materials, we only have whatever the manufacturers deem fit to tell us.  How much of that is trustworthy is up for debate, but things are at least moving away from vague speed/spin numbers.

Xiom frustrate me.  They have amazing presentation and some great ideas and products, but they always seem to be slightly "off" in some way.  Some of their ranges just don't make intuitive sense, and it's hard to unpack the marketing from the reality.  This stuff becomes more important when you start to charge big prices IMO.

Edited by AndySmith - 11/01/2017 at 10:28am
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 10:33am

I wish all manufacturers were this clear, but we're a long way away sadly.  

For construction, IMO SoulSpin are the benchmark.  I bought a SS-made Gewo blade recently and it has the construction printed on the box, including thickness of each ply.  The only thing missing is the raw info about the carbon layer, but that's nit picking.  

In the absence of the materials, we only have whatever the manufacturers deem fit to tell us.  How much of that is trustworthy is up for debate, but things are at least moving away from vague speed/spin numbers.

Xiom frustrate me.  They have amazing presentation and some great ideas and products, but they always seem to be slightly "off" in some way.  Some of their ranges just don't make intuitive sense, and it's hard to unpack the marketing from the reality.  This stuff becomes more important when you start to charge big prices IMO.

I very much agree. I have read some marketing comments by Xiom, which raised some red flags. This is why with Xiom I would only purchase if I actually had the ability to personally inspect the merchandise or ask the retailer for specific information before purchasing. Because I am in the U.S., it is cumbersome communicating via email but quite comfortable discussing individual products over the phone with Paddle Palace who have always been very helpful.

Edited by richrf - 11/01/2017 at 10:34am
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/2017 at 11:01am

Because I am in the U.S., it is cumbersome communicating via email but quite comfortable discussing individual products over the phone with Paddle Palace who have always been very helpful.

Good luck!  Please report back anything you're able to find out.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2017 at 10:39am
Originally posted by vishal_dindoyal vishal_dindoyal wrote:

I have been using the Feel AX ST for a week now. Was looking for a 90+g but the heaviest one i could get my hands on was a 89g one. The outer ply is definitely koto. It's some kind of burnt koto. At least it's smells like burnt wood. Mine is almost fish scale like. Looks very nice! I would send some pictures but unfortunately I have rubbers on the blade. The built and the finish of the blade is very good, same as Hayabusa series i would say. Just need a little sanding around the neck before use. The head size and shape of the AX is exactly the same as the Hayabusas'. The handle might be just a hair thinner. It's also a little bit more head heavy than a Hayabusa ZXi. Which is not necessarily a bad thing for me since I always balance my blades with tape on the handle.

Speed
At 89g i would say the Feel AX is a solid OFF blade. My 94g fish scale Viscaria is a notch faster than it. It would be in the same speed range as Viscaria, TBS and TB ALC of the same weight.

Control, spin, feel and flex

The feel is very crisp because of the burnt koto, as crisp if not more than a fish scale Viscaria. The flex and the ALC inside help when spinning the ball. Quite easy to produce a lot spin on loops. You can feel the blade 'catching' the ball when looping heavy underspin. This blade has a little more flex than a viscaria of the same weight. I would even say it has more control than my Viscaria. Easier to block and easier to counter-loop with. At 89g it has more than enough power from far away from the table.

Overall
I'm very pleasantly surprised by this blade! For me it like a Viscaria with more flex. Just a little bit of head heaviness which should not be a problem. If heavier blades become available i think the Feel AX might become popular among non-sponsored high level players in the future.

Where is the Aramid carbon layer? Outer or inner layer? (Looks like outer layer on the picture but I’m having trouble zooming in..)

Edited by ohwell - 11/02/2017 at 10:42am
vishal_dindoyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vishal_dindoyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2017 at 12:38pm
It's just below the outer ply. The aramid carbon layer seems to be thinner than in most other ALC blades.
Luis.agr06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis.agr06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2017 at 9:48pm
Hey I'm selling the Feel Ax if anyone is interested. Check out for sale section, It's was a great blade good sharp feeling but it was a little too fast for me.
Xiom Vega Pro
Rakza
Omega Asia
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2017 at 8:46am
I checked with Tabletennis11 about the AX. As usual they were very helpful and prompt with their response. Their AX blades in ST weigh 82 - 91 gms and they have no information regarding the wood composition.

Edited by richrf - 11/03/2017 at 9:51pm
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2018 at 11:51pm
Tried Xiom Feel AX today. 
Except that I did not sand-paper it enough before first practice I got a blister half way through the training session...here are my first impressions: 
88-89 gram. 
Smells like slightly smoked wood. 
Nice finish and looks sharp.

Tried it with Xiom Omega Tour Max & Rakza & Soft 2 MM. 

1 - It is certainly not a slow blade and and faster than Butterfly Spirit or ALC. 10-15%. (played with latter long enough to be sure about it). So OFF with small +. Almost as fast as ZXI, maybe just a half a notch faster than Omega Europe.

2-Right away noticed that it is quite loud when it hits the ball. Much louder than any of those: I /Omega Euro/ /TBS / ALC. Xiom Omega Tour is not a soft Rubber but when I was driving/or drive-spinning the ball, it still sounded i was playing with soft rubbers like Calibra Sound. I am not used to it so it irritated me a little but some ppl like the sound. A matter of opinion I guess... 

3 - Very good control on chops from the first shots, always an indication of good control for me. (certainly chops better than My Hayabusa ZXI). 

4 - Short game. Need more than 1 practice to form solid opinion but feels quite ok for first practice: good short chops/drops, slow flips have enough curve. Less curve than ZXI though.

5 - Spin forehand was just amazing, especially vs. drives and counters.  requires slightly more effort to spin from 3rd vs. ZXI zone but 2nd and 1st were solid and precise, exactly where I meant them to be.  

5 - Need another session to comment on top spin on heavy chops. It lands in but honestly, by the time it came to situational/game chopping I started to get this annoying callosity (maybe after an hour of practice) which irritated me to much to ignore so I switched on/of to my usual set-up.

To be continued ...

Edited by iakovka - 01/29/2018 at 1:15am

XIOM ZX1 Feel 85 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega VII Pro, BH: Rakza 7 Soft 2MM
XIOM ZXI 88 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega V Tour, BH: Rakza Soft 7 2MM
George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2019 at 7:55pm
Since XIOM Vega Euro and Vega Pro blades are discontinued, can anyone recommend any alternatives? (Not overpriced Butterfly blades pleaseBig smile)
Blade: XIOM Vega Pro FL
FH/BH: Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2019 at 11:28am
Originally posted by George George wrote:

Since XIOM Vega Euro and Vega Pro blades are discontinued, can anyone recommend any alternatives? (Not overpriced Butterfly blades pleaseBig smile)

Vega pro is still available on AMAZON.
My feedback : http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58844&PN=1#726094
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2020 at 8:21pm
Is any blade from Feel series similar to Vega Euro?
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2020 at 2:23pm

Yeah, I'm also wondering what they are trying to do with this series.  Whatever it may be, they are doing a very bad job with messaging, and helping customers understand what the different blades are for.  My best guess is that they are doing a few things at once: mostly updating their lineup and releasing a (?) more affordable Z+carbon blade.

The entire Novus line has a dated look compared with their other lines. The retired Hayabusa line had a look that's a lot like the Novus blades.  Whereas the Feel blades look more like the Omega, Vega and Zeta.  Earlier this year they also released the Musa Asia and Musa Euro blades - all wood 5 and 7 ply.  

Then the Zx1 is by far the most affordable Zephilium-carbon blade they offer.

With these considerations in mind the two blades that remain most mysterious are the ZX2 and ZX3.  The price is up there with the Vega blades.. 

what xiom blade is like rosewood7 but a little more solid or maybe like w968 or HL5?
Rustico View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2022 at 12:34pm
somebody can compare XVE and DHS 301 ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic