FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

good cheap shoes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: good cheap shoes
    Posted: 02/06/2014 at 1:15pm
I'd like to alert people to surprisingly good and cheap shoes for table tennis.

Marshalls, a discount clothing retailer, sells mizuno wave evo cursoris/levitas for an extremely cheap price ($25-$40). They are definitely a bargain and worth a try.

As a marathon runner, I can testify these are pretty awful as running shoes - probably why they're on close-out - but really great for ping pong. 
Extremely lightweight, low profile and not too much sideways grip to rock your ankle, after testing for the last couple of months, they have replaced my top-of-the-line Mizuno wave drive ace ping pong shoes.

My ping pong shoes on the left. The much lighter wave evo cursors on the right.

My worn out soles on my Mizuno ping pong shoes:

The surprisingly good for ping pong soles:

Unlike proper running shoes, you can roll your foot onto the side edges without problems.
The only disadvantage I see is that the upper is much more delicate than the ping pong shoe.

A ping pong friend alerted me to them back in early December. I was skeptical at first but they are better than my Wave Drive Ace shoes. I have several new pairs of Wave Drive Ace but I find myself choosing the cheap Mizunos instead.
Sponsored Links

j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2014 at 1:36pm
Thanks for the heads up.. will see if our Marshalls has them.

Time to add a pair to my asics gel rocket 5's.
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2014 at 3:17pm
nice find! do they come in different color?
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2014 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

nice find! do they come in different color?

Yes. There are some different color combinations. Check out your local Marshalls.
I also bought the Levitas, a bit lighter even.
rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2014 at 4:12pm
The mesh type of material on the top might not be strong enough to hold side way movement. I guess over time the part around pinky toes could break.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2014 at 1:09am
Wave Universe 4 is another one that I thought seemed kinda good for TT that is cheap now. 
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2014 at 10:29am
Originally posted by j-bo j-bo wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.. will see if our Marshalls has them.

Time to add a pair to my asics gel rocket 5's.
=================================

Me too.

Question:  Does it have enough friction?

Edited by skip3119 - 02/07/2014 at 10:30am
skip3119
LoveJoyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoveJoyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2014 at 12:04pm
I've become quite find of Apacs Badminton shoes http://www.badmintonbay.com/Shoes

They are light, breathable, and cheap, solid gum rubber sole on most of the models. 
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2014 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by LoveJoyz LoveJoyz wrote:

I've become quite find of Apacs Badminton shoes http://www.badmintonbay.com/Shoes

They are light, breathable, and cheap, solid gum rubber sole on most of the models. 

Which one is soft like Mizuno ?
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2014 at 12:31pm
Those APACS look interesting too.
LoveJoyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoveJoyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2014 at 1:05pm
I don't know for sure which are soft like the Mizuno. I've never worn the Mizuno.

I have worn 2 pairs of http://www.badmintonbay.com/Shoes/Apacs-Cushion-Power-001-Green.html

That particular model is out of stock. But I'll be ordering another pair soon. They are soft and flexible. I had a pair of DHS shoes that I tried on, and were too big, so I sold them. But these shoes are more flexible.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 1:54am
Originally posted by LoveJoyz LoveJoyz wrote:

Nice, prices below $50 - very nice - tired of over paying for shoes - any issues with regards to shipping to North America from Malaysia?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
j-bo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j-bo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 11:44am
Wish there was some comparisons between the different models of the APACS shoes.

Hard to know which ones would work best...seems the only thing is to pick out what crazy color combo you like.

LoveJoyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoveJoyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 12:58pm
Nope, haven't had any issues at all. In both cases, it took about a week. I can't tell you anything about the different models, because I've had the same one twice. I'm going to try a different one soon, since those others are out of stock.

Also, the sizes look more limited than they were before...not sure what that's about. Maybe it's the off season over there?...
cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 10:13pm
I'd like to recommend Adidas Samba black leather shoes too. Usually around $45 at most stores. Low profile, grippy, and solid for lateral movement. I've had my pair for two years and I play about 15 hours a week -- almost unbelievable but true.

I wear size 13, so I can't buy TT shoes. 
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 10:26pm
Here are the Mizunos. You can see the color scheme. The Levitas weighs 370g a pair (size 10). The other one is 393g a pair. As I said in the original post, these are light. Weight-wise, I don't think they're beatable. You can feel the difference. My Wave Drive Ace ping pong shoes are much heavier. 

You can also see the closeout price. (I'd gotten my first pair at the non-closeout price of $39.99.)

Edited by sandiway - 02/08/2014 at 10:28pm
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 10:34pm
Checked out at our local Marshall store here (Charlotte, NC), it has 3 pairs of the Mizunos - has only one size and only one color (orange).  Cost $49.99 (the tag says relative to $85).

I like my ASICS GEL Rocket 6 far better.
skip3119
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

How much do your ASICS weigh?

If you haven't tried the Mizunos, how do you know you prefer your ASICS?

I have the expensive Butterfly ping pong shoes and the top of the line Mizuno ping pong shoes. But despite the large outlay, I have to say IMHO these lightweight shoes are better...

Sandiway
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

I have the expensive Butterfly ping pong shoes and the top of the line Mizuno ping pong shoes. But despite the large outlay, I have to say IMHO these lightweight shoes are better...

Sandiway
========================================

Mine is size 8, the Mizuno's size 7 1/2 seems to be heavier than mine. (Did not weigh them both on the scale though).  Just feel that way when pick them up on my hand.

Quite a few forumers here got ASICS GEL Rocket 6 or ASICS GEL Rocket 5, they know these shoes are light weight.  I learned this from them before I bought the shoes.

Quite unexpected this kind of reply from you.  You may prefer your Mizuno's shoes, and don't tolerate other people to say that they like other kind of shoes.  This is a free society, buddy.

I respect your opinion, but you ought respect other people's opinion even when they are different from yours.

*** You ought to appreciate that someone saw your post and drove specifically to a Marshall store to look it over.  It is 12 miles from where i live.  And I have never been to that store before.

*** I took another look of the picture that you posted.  Frankly, the Mizunos shoes I saw in the Marshall store here is very different from that in your picture.  Darn, I don't know how many different kind of shoes they make.

Edited by skip3119 - 02/08/2014 at 11:38pm
skip3119
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 11:57pm
The posts here affect some people.  Some one posted here, quite a while ago, about ASICS GEL Rocket 5 and ASICS GEL Rocket 6.  Quite a few forumers here bought that shoes including me.  I posted back then that I bought the shoes and was very pleased about the purchase.  (Don't remember the original poster's name about ASICS GEL Rocket 5 shoes.)

I took your post seriously, and drove to the store specifically.  I drove there with the intention to buy the shoes - I did not like the color, the size of the shoes did not fit me. (They have only 3 pairs.)

This is an honest trip report.  Just don't know what should I say to please you.  Btw, you ought to tolerate different opinion.

Edited by skip3119 - 02/09/2014 at 12:05am
skip3119
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2014 at 12:17pm
If you regularly pass by Marshall store anyway, you may want to stop by the store to check it out from time to time. I didn't find Sandiway posted shoes in the store that I went.  What I found was Mizuno shoes all right but different kind - Mizuno may make many different kind of shoes.

Marshall store is a discount store.  Worthy to stop by from time to time to check it out - keep in mind of the pictures that Sandiway posted - you may have better luck with your local Marshall store - another outlet to find cheap and good shoes for playing TT.
skip3119
N.Cali PLayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N.Cali PLayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2014 at 3:02pm
I just bought 2 pair of Mizuno Levitas at $13 a pair at my local Marshalls.  (Florin Rd in S. Sacramento) They are purple and they had a bunch size 9 1/2 and a few other sizes.  Will test tonight to see if they have a decent grip.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2014 at 10:37pm

Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

Quite unexpected this kind of reply from you.  You may prefer your Mizuno's shoes, and don't tolerate other people to say that they like other kind of shoes.  This is a free society, buddy.

I'm just curious why you say "far better". I'm just asking for a bit of explication rather than just a simple assertion.

If you decide to not buy the shoes, or if you decide they suck, I don't have a problem with that. I don't own shares in Marshalls. 

Peace,

Sandiway
pdotec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2014 at 12:08am
I own Mizuno wave medal tt shoes size 9, Asics rocket 6 volleyball shoes size 9, Addidas Samba classic leather indoor soccer/casual shoes size 9.  Looked at the mizuno evo levitas (didn't have my size)

Wave medal  460 g/pr  Price $50-85 only available overseas
Rocket 6   652 g/pr    Price around $50 as low as 35
Samba Classic 692 g/pr   Price around $60

Comfort  Rocket >Wave Medal>Samba  Rockets immediately comfortable, samba needs to be broken in
Support   Rocket>Samba>Wave Medal
Grip   Wave Medal>Rocket>Samba  Samba don't have as rounded edges.
Construction All 3 well built, samba has more durable materials.

Impression of evo levitas, super light, less support than all of the above.  Blowout price of $20 is great, but wouldn't pay $40 for them.

Classic samba is not your typical indoor soccer shoes.  Have tried other adidas and nike indoor soccer shoes and 1) don't feel they are comfortable 2) grip on sole is very average.

Edited by pdotec - 02/10/2014 at 12:13am
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 1:10pm

Bringing up this thread to review the Evo Cursoris.  Thanks Sandiway for starting the thread=)

I was skeptic at first as well, and was able to steal the last pair at a Marshalls in Queens for $18!!! 

It’s indeed super lightweight.  I have been playing with it for over a week or so.  It has a wide frame on the mid-frontal section (I prefer this in a TT shoe), where the hindfoot fits nice & snuggly.  Size 11.5 fit me nicely and I normally wear 12.  I am comparing this with my other TT shoes: A pair of Killerspin Hermes CQ, Mizuno Drive5, Adidas Sala, and various running shoes.  As many have mentioned, the front sides are made of double layer thin mesh.  This will not last long as I have destroyed some of my running shoes’ frontal mesh part (they felt much stronger).  The absorption is surprisingly very good as I don’t get knee pain after a long day of playing.  I get this after playing with the Adidas Sala even with double layer pads.  Grip is just as good as the gum-sole TT shoes on any type of surface.

I have considered the Asics Gel-Rocket, but they are too bulky for me, and the Sambas are too stiff & quite heavy.

I have been trying to find another pair for cheap within tri-state area including NJ, and nowhere to be found anymore=(        

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 02/21/2014 at 1:13pm
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 4:01pm
this is the best you can get.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MESUCA-Futsal-Indoor-Soccer-Football-Boots-Badminton-Tai-Chi-Kung-Fu-Shoes-/140986895510?pt=AU_Sport_Soccer_Clothing_Boots&hash=item20d3794c96

this is also cool

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boots-shoes-Adidas-Scarpe-Calcio-Calcetto-Janeirinha-Sala-Indoor-IC-Futsal-/261350435341?pt=Scarpe_calcio&var=&hash=item3cd9b32a0d

Edited by puppy412 - 02/21/2014 at 4:01pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 4:13pm
I just received a pair of Asics Gel Hunter 2 and I am quite upset that they are stiffer and nowhere near as good as the original Gel Hunter.
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2014 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I just received a pair of Asics Gel Hunter 2 and I am quite upset that they are stiffer and nowhere near as good as the original Gel Hunter.

here you go

Edited by puppy412 - 02/21/2014 at 4:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic