Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Donic Blue Feeling: revolutionary or gimmicky?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Blue Feeling: revolutionary or gimmicky?
    Posted: 03/03/2014 at 1:43pm
Number of Layers:5
Blade Weight (grams):85
Blade Type:OFF-
Blue Feeling is another DONIC product to add to the successful tradition of "made in Sweden" blades. Specially created Ayous outer ply - suitably coloured and glued together in a variety of procedures, allowed to dry for a long time and pressed under heavy pressure. The result is a blade with sensational feel and unique design - a blue grain in the ply! This hi-technology 5-ply allround blade with a slightly thicker inner ply, fairly hard Limba plies and the specially treated outer ply results in a blade with outstanding control and sufficient speed for an attacking player.

--------------------------------------

The Ayous outer ply is an interesting choice... I've only noticed that on very inexpensive blades in the past.

What do you guys think? Will this be something new and nice or a gimmick?

Edited by the_theologian - 03/03/2014 at 1:45pm
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Sponsored Links

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2014 at 1:47pm
this should be enough to make any us1900 and above become world champion.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2014 at 1:51pm
Good job it's "suitably coloured". Imagine if it was inappropriately coloured? Oh the horror!
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2014 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

this should be enough to make any us1900 and above become world champion.

this was kind of my hunch but I wanted to test the waters and see if anyone said what I was thinking.... whew... I'm not crazy, thanks puppy
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2014 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Good job it's "suitably coloured". Imagine if it was inappropriately coloured? Oh the horror!

Blue fire on pink samba would have been more suitable.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2014 at 3:15pm
They are obsessed with blue these days. 
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2014 at 3:17pm
What will the best Donic rubber be for the Blue feeling blade? Wacko

hint: it's probably a hot one.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2014 at 10:15pm
This should be a good control blade for those that want something not super flexible and faster than All+, ayous-limba-ayous-limba-ayous will feel like a traditional blade except slightly softer feel. Probably plays like a slower/softer korbel if they get it right. I can't imagine it being a bad blade
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2014 at 11:17pm
I almost ordered one today.... but then I got wild and ordered a second IF ZLC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 5:43am
Second!, no blade collector can have two of the same butterfly composites. How are you going to afford the other 50 variations. Isn't the Mizutani the best one?. How much is that blue Donic blade?, I might buy one next time someone at the club wants a blade
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 7:39am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Second!, no blade collector can have two of the same butterfly composites. How are you going to afford the other 50 variations. Isn't the Mizutani the best one?. How much is that blue Donic blade?, I might buy one next time someone at the club wants a blade

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 7:56am
I wasn't a fan of the blue dye until I saw the bigger photo. It makes sense because Ayous looks terrible as a top ply. It normally has really no visible grain worth looking at and in that photo it shows up pretty well and looks good, no senso handle either
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 8:50am
Thought for some reason that Ayous might be too bouncy as a top layer.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 9:11am
Some cheap Chinese blades use it, ie LKT instinct is 5 plys of Ayous, nothing else, it's a fairly soft wood. I've got an idea this might be a good blade, someone buy it.

It usually doesn't make a lot of difference which way around you stack the outer plys in a blade. I doubt you could really pick the difference between an Ayous-Limba blade and an Limba-Ayous blade. Perhaps just slightly but it wont be a huge change from the usual limba-ayous. Probably Limba is preferred normally on the outer just because it's a stronger wood 
roulage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roulage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 9:40am
Not only LKT instinct is 5-ply ayous, there is another one in Donic production-Baum sawtec. And Tibhar was producer of 4-ply ayous blade but i don´t remember the name. I´ve played with Baum sawtec for one and half year, it is really bouncy blade, good for blocking game near the table. The best with medium hardness rubbers, too soft rubbers are not a good choice for such blade
Photino+Andro Plaxon
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 11:21am
Tibhar IV-L has 4 ayous of equal thickness. It is soft but rather stiff due to the total thickness.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 6:11am
These are on offer at Decathlon - £18.99. For that price, I can give it away to a junior if it's totally awful.

Ordered.
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 7:13am
In France, the IV-L is the default beginner blade a lot of kids start with.

I never tried it myself but it is acknowledged as a great starting point - cheap, good control and not too slow so it doesn't hold them back either.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 9:48am
Anyone else notice that the grain seems to be running at an angle, not straight up the blade or across?  Maybe it is just the blue color making it visible, but it seems unusual to me.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 11:23am
Blue Feeing? as in "I am feeling blue... so let's play some ping-pong?" Confused

What's next? Here is a bunch of "inappropriately" or "awkwardly" names' suggestions (of course, trying to follow some of the latest "strange" names for the blades by these manufacturers or just joking around)

Tibhar Injurious
Donic Black Death
Xiom Salieri
Nittaku Mammamia
Butterfly Innerfart
JUIC Liliputia Turbo
Dr.N Crazy Chihuahua
Stiga Allround Indefinite Aluminum Tubing CC
Yasaka Pandemix
Yinhe P-7 ZFX 2014-DRM/Z!

Have fun!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by 1dennistt 1dennistt wrote:

Anyone else notice that the grain seems to be running at an angle, not straight up the blade or across?  Maybe it is just the blue color making it visible, but it seems unusual to me.

I noticed that too, I wonder what that would feel like.  Jim... Maybe it's depressing to use LOL
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Blue Feeing? as in "I am feeling blue... so let's play some ping-pong?" Confused

What's next? Here is a bunch of "inappropriately" or "awkwardly" names' suggestions (of course, trying to follow some of the latest "strange" names for the blades by these manufacturers or just joking around)

Tibhar Injurious
Donic Black Death
Xiom Salieri
Nittaku Mammamia
Butterfly Innerfart
JUIC Liliputia Turbo
Dr.N Crazy Chihuahua
Stiga Allround Indefinite Aluminum Tubing CC
Yasaka Pandemix
Yinhe P-7 ZFX 2014-DRM/Z!

Have fun!

Ha - spat my tea out reading your list. Great work.

I actually like the idea of a blade line named after deadly diseases. Your Donic Black Death could be joined by the Donic Airborne Ebola, for example. Or for the LP crowd, the Donic Bipolar Disorder (a combination blade, obviously).
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 3:58pm
There's a rubber or blade called Dr.N Crazy Chihuahua?

LMAO!
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 5:19pm
Off- class has always been like mystery meat to me. Almost OFF and more than ALL+. Donic Blue Feeling looks interesting for that class. So it must play and feel much like a BTY Primorac with a thicker handle. :)

Edited by frogger - 09/18/2014 at 5:20pm
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

There's a rubber or blade called Dr.N Crazy Chihuahua?

LMAO!

Player 1: "So what are you using?"
Player 2: "Oh just something that is called CRAZY CHIHUAHUA!!... No seriously check out the handle."

Edited by DreiZ - 09/18/2014 at 6:25pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2014 at 6:53am
So after Decathlon sent an email to say that they didn't have stock, the blade turned up this morning anyway.

89g, AN handle (all they had left), 157x150. It looks well made. All edges have been sanded smooth - the wings and all around the blade face. I think it's around 6mm thick - it's just slightly thinner than the Peter Pan, which is 6.1mm ( must get some callipers...). Core is pretty thick, and it doesn't feel flexy when I mess around with the bare blade. Medium pitch when bouncing a ball on it.

(edit - got me some fresh, tasty callipers. It's 5.8mm thick)

Edited by AndySmith - 09/29/2014 at 6:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic