Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camera for taking table tennis pictures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ZhangJike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZhangJike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camera for taking table tennis pictures
    Posted: 03/08/2014 at 9:29am
I am a fan of table tennis and there will be a big competition comming up and I would like to take some good photos and currently I have a Canon EOS 650d and the standard lens, I would like to know the best settings to take sport pictures and also if there is better lens that doesnt cost a lot
Zhang Jike Blade
Skyline 3 (FH)
Tenergy 64 (BH)
Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 1:01pm
TheShakeHander used to be on this site, he is a professional photographer, try sending him a PM. 
I know in taking TT action shots - you need a very fast lens and they are not cheap. 
One suggestion is to go to the Canon forum and ask people what the best lens would be to get action photos.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 8:00pm
quickest cheapest best option would be a 50 mm 1.8 lens

the downside is the focal length is very short

however you will be able to shoot about as fast as possible with your given camera, set the ISO to its maximum setting (3200?) and shoot wide open

:)
SeeReed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeReed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 12:26am
Most DSLR now a day came with decent standard zoom lens that cover from wide 28mm-35mm to somewhere around 200mm equivalent to 35mm full frame and IS (Image Stabilize). I think that is good enough to cover most TT action photo from standing near court side shots. Crank up your ISO setting up to about 3200 (that will be as far I'll go), set your shutter speed to 1/250 or higher and you are good to go for most indoor TT shot without flash and lot of help of Photoshop.

Ideally, you would need a good big zoom lens with f-Stop 2.8 or wider with IS pair with a full frame DSLR to take good action photo without doing a lot of Photoshop afterward. Good luck with both playing and shooting photos.
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 1:51am
Set your camera to the highest ISO it can do without becoming grainy and keep the aperture wide open (ideally use a lens with <f2.0) and a a relatively high focal length (50mm+ works well) for getting clear and close looking shots of the players.  Keep the shutter speed fast and consider using continuous shooting to increase your chances of getting a quality shot from each burst.
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 9:13am
the big professional lenses are usually 2.8 (faster then that, you are talking well into the $3-5,000 range - just for the lens)

a 2.8 lens will cost you anywhere from about $400 (tokina or sigma) to $1,100 (for a real canon lens)

but a plastic 50mm 1.8 can be had for about $80 (higher quality version can be had for $300)

1.8 will allow you to shoot 3 aperture openings faster than a 2.8. (possibly up to 1/1000sec vs 1/250sec depending on your lighting situation)

if you use a 50mm you will absolutely need to be court side, but you should be able to blow up your product for decent results

another negative is the higher your ISO, the grainier the product tends to be

a monopod helps

:)
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 7:14pm
I do tt shots sometimes, here are some experiences.

You don't have natural light which immediately means high ISO settings. You need at least 1.8 50mm (luckily it's cheap). The goal is to get picture at the point of contact of racket and ball, players are moving ,ball is moving, racket is moving. I mostly use settings 1/400, ISO 1600 (it's minimum) on canon 450d. But, pictures are not sharp enough, not big enough and even 1/400 is not enough to freeze playing hand of fast looper so I couldn't shoot best player's fh shots. On faster shutter, less light -> too dark images. Maybe 650d is slightly better on high ISO than 450d, but probably not too much. Seems Nikons have better high ISO performances. Also, important thing is timing, dslr has small latency, but still has some 100-200 ms, you have to know how much in advance to press shutter(you will learn after 50-100 shots). Also, even if you do all right, big percent of images can remain bad, unfocused, dark, or simply bad timing. Rapid fire, can help, but you can still easily miss the right moment, so I'd say 3-5 picures per second is not too useful. Prepare for only 5-10% of successful pictures (if you want pictures like I want, at right moment).
Here are some of my pictures:

Edited by garwor - 03/09/2014 at 7:17pm
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
BaiMile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaiMile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 4:39am
Body: 7d, 70d, 5D-III (1D-III and higher series if you want pro class)
Lenses: 70-200/2.8L; 100/2; 135/2L; 200/2.8L -, depends on the distance these are affordable.
vanityq View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanityq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 5:00am
if good lighting is present you can just use a higher shutter speed with high ISO but expect some noise. You can just post process it if you want.

fast lenses arent cheap...

what i use is 50mm 1.8 which is around 100$, pairing it with High ISO camera and set the pixels to max and just edit it to zoom in on your computer :)

Edited by vanityq - 03/10/2014 at 5:04am
0o0o0o0o0o0 -=- Loop2kiLL -=- 0o0o0o0o0o0o

SPINCLUB Las Pinas City | Captain Table Tennis Club
seanmiller View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2017 at 4:31am
An action camera would be appropriate for your needs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic