Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

about zhang jike ALC Vs. viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bayttplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bayttplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: about zhang jike ALC Vs. viscaria
    Posted: 03/12/2014 at 5:50pm
Hi All, I’m Thinking to get a zhang Jike ALC or viscaria. What is the major difference between them? If same, why zhang still use Viscaria? Any input are appreciated!
Thanks!
Innerforce-ZLC FL + H3 + T80

Sponsored Links

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2014 at 6:05pm
jt99sf has BOTH yet more Viscarias...
He might be able to tell you why Viscaria is better.
He might pitch in if he sees my post.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2014 at 6:09pm
The Viscaria has better than short game and touch than the ALC.  It's also better for blocking than the ALC.  

Both blades have plenty of power.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bayttplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2014 at 6:16pm
Thanks a lot, so Viscaria is harder and less dwell time? and some review said ALC has longer handle, just want to confirm this's ture.

Edited by bayttplayer - 03/12/2014 at 6:26pm

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2014 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by bayttplayer bayttplayer wrote:

Thanks a lot, so Viscaria is harder and less dwell time?

No,  Viscaria has a softer outer ply.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2014 at 6:24pm
The new ZJK ALC blade (the newest version) is quite nice but why should ZJK switch if he likes what he uses now?  I still prefer Viscaria for the most part myself, although some of the newer ones I have had lately have not been as good.
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 2:50am
I have played both, zjk alc has a better handle somewhat more beefy in the palm. It is slightly bouncier though. And more balanced weight wise. It is a viscaria with a feel of speed glue. Enjoy.
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 11:17am
I've owned 3 Viscarias and currently play with a ZJK-ALC.

IMHO, I don't see any reason (other than financial) to buy a Viscaria.

Other than the handle, the ZJK-ALC is the same blade - don't believe anything else - only the set-up weight makes a big difference in power and feel.

However, bring the handle in picture & the equation changes. The ZJK-ALC's larger & longer handle provide both a much better blade balance with today's heavier rubbers & also much better power on full strokes (actually, I'd classify it as a more powerful top gear).

Bear in mind that this comparison is for similar weight range blades - so if someone says that their 82g ZJK-ALC is less powerful than their 89g Viscaria, they ain't comparing apples to apples...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 11:48am
It is getting hard to find either of these blades in the weight I like (90g).  If you have never played with either one before, I am not sure it matters which one you get, except that Viscaria is cheaper but much harder to find I think, these days.  I am personally very accustomed to Viscaria, so prefer it, mainly out of habit I think. Probably ZJK himself feels the same way or you would think he would use the blade with his own name on it.  Weight distribution on the ZJK-ALC is really nice, though.  (Bear in mind we are not talking about the blue dragon version.)  If someone forced me to play with the new ZJK-ALC it would have zero impact on the way I played or my level after a few days getting used to it and I almost certainly would like it very much.

In all of these Btfly ALC blades, even in different samples of the same model, there is a range of speed, hardness, weight, etc. and they are not all identical for sure.  I have four Viscarias, and one is just much better than the others.  In general, for me personally, the slower they are, the more I like them.
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 12:03pm
can somebody maybe explain what they feel are the differences among the ALC blades?

TBS vs TB vs ZJK vs IF vs Viscaria?

:)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 12:08pm
In2spin that is a great question but we have had a bunch of threads on this over the years and have never come to an agreement on just what is different about the various blades.  For certain, among this group, IF is obviously more woody feeling than the others since the composite layer is deeper.

The main differences among the others IMHO are the shapes of handles, weight distribution, and shape of the wings, all of which are much more important in how the different models play than the actual woods used.  The other thing I notice is that the newer Btfly blades such as TB-ALC and ZJK-ALC (as opposed to TBS and Viscaria) have some treatment of the top ply that makes it look a little shinier and be just a bit harder.  I wonder if it is UV light (as with Stiga CR?).  As a result, the newer blades are just a bit crisper and slightly faster on average (if weights are the same).  They are more resistant to shredding from glue.

There is a trend in Btfly these days to make the blades lighter.  A few years ago, nearly all Viscarias were 89-94 g, and I have seen some here for sale at 82-84g!   
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 12:13pm
yeh, maybe i opened a can of worms i shouldn't have (or that has already been opened)

my ej got me to try the tbs and the tb, i found both to be fantastic, however, slightly different (to me, the tbs was faster, but both are great.  mid distance power is absurd

just wondering if whether to try the zjk or not

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 12:15pm
In2spin, they are all great blades.  You should try hitting with a few if possible, since like I said, the handles are different and you will probably like one more than the others.
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 12:19pm
i've been a ST handle player all my tt life, so, even finding a tbs ST took a while

maybe my holy grail is a viscaria ST......

the packaging for the zjk seems very 'mercedes' to me

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bayttplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 2:53pm
thanks a lot for your guys input..
very helpful info!!

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

i've been a ST handle player all my tt life, so, even finding a tbs ST took a while

maybe my holy grail is a viscaria ST......

the packaging for the zjk seems very 'mercedes' to me

I found it difficult to find a TBS ST under 88gr. Most are 90gr-92gr. Oh yeah Viscaria ST would be a great find.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 5:13pm
i was ultra lucky to find one at 83 g

nittakuball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nittakuball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 5:51pm
I myself seach for ZJK ALC FL Under 84g for a months.
finally I found it.
DHS 032
Butterfly Bryce Highspeed

Singapore & Canada

danggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 10:47pm
I doubt that weight lighter is good or bad?

And how about the most of pro' blades? They choose light or heavy (>90g) ?
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 11:01pm
I'm a sucker for solid wood handle, so Viscaria is my 1st choice for ALC. For ZJK I would go for the zlc instead.
nittakuball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nittakuball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I'm a sucker for solid wood handle, so Viscaria is my 1st choice for ALC. For ZJK I would go for the zlc instead.

why?
DHS 032
Butterfly Bryce Highspeed

Singapore & Canada

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2014 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by danggi danggi wrote:

I doubt that weight lighter is good or bad?

And how about the most of pro' blades? They choose light or heavy (>90g) ?

tend towards heavy.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2014 at 9:27am
Originally posted by nittakuball nittakuball wrote:

Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

why?

There are too many ALC blades from Butterfly to choose from already, we have TBS, Viscaria, TB ALC, ZJK with the blue dragon, and now the most expensive ZJK ALC.  Those who have the ZJK ALC spend more time on the internet reading review and comparing it to other ALC to justify their buying.  Also, I will be tired of having to tell the other guy whether my ZJK is the one with or without the blue dragon LOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic