Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JPEN backhand topspin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JPEN backhand topspin
    Posted: 03/26/2014 at 5:37am
I'm a penholder. I'm trying to learn the backhand topspin by forehand, look like Kim Teak Soo and Ryu Seung Min. It's very hard and i don't have any coach, i practice with my friend some day per week. Please give me some tutorial to do that Cry

Sponsored Links

suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 9:02am
Well you're watching the right person in Kim Taek Soo in learning that stroke.

I find this stroke is best done with a loose grip & stroke for me when I'm playing with my Jpen. Loose grip allows me t close the face of my blade more. 

That and I curl my fingers. Explained here.

And also loose stroke. When you try this stroke, rip it. Whatever you do. You can't tense up because it might feel awkward. That will for sure make you miss the shot as you won't have enough topspin. Let it rip. You might be surprised in what you get... A nice thing is if it goes in, this shot tends to have a pinch of side-spin on it.

Having said all that, I rarely use it. Rather, I use the backhand block or punch much, much more. The block is done when the ball is coming at your body. I'll use the topspin stroke when the ball is more wide to my backhand (meaning I'm out of position for a penholder). It's more of a "I'm probably going to lose this point because I'm out of position so I'm going to go for a winner here and rip it." type of shot for me.

JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 10:22am
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjUyMTAwNjcy.html?from=y1.2-1-98.3.9-2.1-1-1-8

this video takes a while to load, but it is cool what the guy is able to do with jpen BH

Edited by JohnnyChop - 03/26/2014 at 10:26am
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 10:41am
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

this video takes a while to load, but it is cool what the guy is able to do with jpen BH

Okay that was pretty awesome.

Think my favorite part was the 1:55 mark. Over the table TBH! Love it.

I've messed around with that idea at home vs the robot. What I found most difficult was not getting the blade on top of the ball, but getting it on the side. Dang near impossible. Hence I've been toying with the idea more of a forehand Chiquita. Seems much more achievable.

I'd be shocked if he's doing that vs backspin. 

Edited by suds79 - 03/26/2014 at 10:43am
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2014 at 11:22am
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

Okay that was pretty awesome.

Think my favorite part was the 1:55 mark. Over the table TBH! Love it.

I've messed around with that idea at home vs the robot. What I found most difficult was not getting the blade on top of the ball, but getting it on the side. Dang near impossible. Hence I've been toying with the idea more of a forehand Chiquita. Seems much more achievable.

I'd be shocked if he's doing that vs backspin. 

it seems to me he is driving the ball with a wrist flick... but i do wonder if his shots are only possible when you have an abnormally strong wrist!
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic