Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

watch my video and help me with strokes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
studmuffin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studmuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: watch my video and help me with strokes
    Posted: 05/20/2006 at 10:29am
Hi, i'm a noob here (23 yrs old) and have been training for about 4 years already. I just want to ask all the coaches and pros here for tips on what's wrong with my strokes and footwork (a lot is wrong, i know, lol! but i'd appreciate some specifics), based on this video i have. I'm the one wearing the maroon/red shirt.

my setup: Gergely21 Carbon, FH: RITC 729, BH: Butterfly Super Anti (right handed shakehand)

I'd appreciate any help or comments anybody can give me. Thanks in advance.

Here's the link my video on grouper.com:
http://grouper.com/GlobalMedia/MediaDetails.aspx?id=825932
Sponsored Links

Indonesia5000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indonesia5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2006 at 11:01am
Wheres your footwork? everytime you looped thge ball you had your foot planted. You can get good speed from doin that but not alot of spin. If you use your body more to follow thru with the stroke i bet you could make the ball go faster 
blade:Yasaka Gatien Extra, Gatien Carbon cpen
FH: Globe999 on dhs #20 BH: SST Cross
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2006 at 12:29pm
The video is too short to give you any substantial comments. I can't really see your feet etc. You need to have a longer video from a more distant perspective.
ryno View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2006 at 1:51pm

You are generating all your power from your upper body especially just your arms.Just remember your power needs to come from the ground up.Use more twist in your waste you seem to have good arm speed from the video so once you learn to generate you swing from your legs up your game will improve.

Red Label Kim Taek Soo (83g)
Almana Sound Synergy Tech (max)
sluskas View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluskas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2006 at 4:22pm
ahha I play better
Sabito View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2006 at 8:23pm

Originally posted by sluskas sluskas wrote:

ahha I play better

I kinda thing you're a spammer, thats not the way we write

fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2006 at 8:45pm
yeah... didn't cyberswordsman always use too?
Sabito View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2006 at 8:45pm

look, it seems you have some nice shots, that fh looks pretty good but you need to practice on your footwork a lot, you can improve it making training exercises embracing the ones you need to move on the table like opening backhand then making some bh and topspin strokes, it takes some months to make a good balance of your game along with your footwork, playing matches wont help you because when you play you make the strokes you already master.

Good luck.

Unworthy people writes unworthy words when a worthy word is needed.

DatSuKid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DatSuKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2006 at 3:15am
Damn I didn't know you can get that good in 4 years...Well I've seen people get a rating of 200 to 2500 in 5 years but still wow.

Anyway since I started looping before I did basic fh well I have a pretty solid loop..about your level in fh loop...(my bh is slow)

Legs man! I push forward a bit with my legs to get spin outa my stroke.

When you start looping (right handers) your right knee should be slightly bent, left lef fairly straight and when you finish your left knee is bent, right leg straight.

I need some help with making power in my fh though from what I've learned from you I need to make my arm "sprint" with a short stroke.
Hard work and self-determination will surpass talent.

Blade-Homemade BirchBalsaBullet (3B JSX)
FH - DHS G666
BH - LKT PRO XT
ttnooblar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttnooblar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2006 at 6:13am
mmmm its too short, you really need to see a whole set (unedited :P) to make meaningful comments. your fh looks okay though
BTY Michael Maze (Flared)
Donic F2 2.0mm (FH)
Donic F2 2.0mm (BH)
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2006 at 6:25am
Not bad, you're playing a bit too much away from the table for someone with antispin on the backhand though. About your forehand; too much shoulder and not enough leg results in a slow topspin with a slow recovery.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2006 at 8:31am
As far as I could see your backhand anti counter was basically OK. You could turn the shoulder more though.

But I don't like your forehand. If you use a Chinese rubber you need to adopt Chinese technique, too. You close the blade *way* too much for a Chinese rubber and and don't go upward and forward with your legs & body. You basically need to jump upward and forward into the ball if you want to play topspin from mid distance. Keep the blade much more open and create the spin with your explosive jump upwards and the speed with an explosive hip turn forward into the ball and powerful shoulder. With Chinese rubbers you need a much harder contact with the ball. That's how you create spin & speed with Chinese stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studmuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2006 at 3:23am
wow, thanks to everybody for your comments and the technical advice. I'll try to process your instructions first while reading up on the other posts here in the forums, especially about spinning and looping.

please keep posting your comments on my strokes, thanks!
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2006 at 3:36am
I'm just wondering how you work the super anti into your game, since you play shakehand and use both sides of the rubber (ie not seemiller). Do you always use it on your backhand, or do you flip? Can you attack with it?
YATTP View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YATTP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2006 at 5:19am
Attackers with anti on BH are rare, but not *that* rare. Many anti attackers speed glue their anti. An anti is pretty much the best rubber for smashing, countering and blocking if you know your anti and your game inside out. You have considerably less options with an anti than with a normal rubber, but if you like a direct game and if you are very good at ball placement than this is OK. With an anti placement is more important than anything else because even technically good players will start making "easy" mistakes against the odd anti balls *if* they are under pressure and out of position.
joubtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joubtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2006 at 3:31pm

FH:I noticed that you're forcing you fh by trying to make the ball arc downward on your follow through.  Open the racket face, maintain a 45 degree angle in your swing, bend your knees, turn from right to left, go up with the legs, catch the ball at it's highest point, and snap at the elbow.  I use the 45 degrees to help people envision themselves in relation to the ball.  It should be timed well, relaxed and one motion.

BH: You're forcing that also.  I know it takes a little bit more touch to crack the anti but time it better.

Also, make sure that you keep your elbow down.  It should not be above the racket when you follow through nor should it over rotate to force the ball downward.

JUIC Hybrid(Fl) w/999 Chinese sponge
JUIC Hybrid(Fl) w/Galaxy 9000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studmuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2006 at 7:02am
bumping my topic for more tips

thanks!
Blade: Gergely 21 FL Carbon
FH: RITC 729
BH: Butterfly Super Anti
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2006 at 7:22am
I think you would benefit from foot work drills. you dont get behind the line of your shots on the bh.

Get someone to bh block 2 to bh 1 to fh repeat.
you play bh,FH(from bh), Fh. 30 40 stroke rallies would be good. enable to learn the footwork

also N bh block short to fh, long to fh,short to bh, long to bh. you play all fh drive at speed which allows 30 40 strokes.
after a while youll be able to do both exercises at near match speed.

less videos, more work, more blood on the floor :-)

inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2006 at 5:40pm
I noticed your stroke contines in a circle and crosses your body.  I think this is related to your problem of not turning your hips. 
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
pong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2006 at 3:59pm

1 Closer to the table when looping with your backhand

2 You only use your arm to spin. Use your whole body in the forehand spin and turn forewards into the ball using your spinal and back muscules (check riu sung min's forehand who really trows himself into the ball)

3 Do not always use powerful spins, try to generate as much spin as possible. When you practice this for a month or so you will notice that your killerspin will be even better because of your enhanced feeling.

pong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2006 at 4:16pm

Footwork counter attacking, topspin drills would be usefull. I know a lot of them but in fact it's quit easy. One player plays backhand block/counter attack all the time.and placesthe ball. You play

1st exercise BH, centre, FH, BH, centre, FH

2nd exercise FH,centre, BH, FH, centre, BH

3th exercise centre, BH, centre, FH, centre, FH

4th exercise 1 or 2 times BH, 1 time FH

5th exercise 1 time BH, 1or 2 times FH

6th exercise 1 or 2 times BH, 1 or 2 times FH

Try to keep the ball on the table. The meaning is to train your footwork, not to score points. Practice each exercise  2*5 minutes (1st you, then your training partner) every training. Try to keep you shoulders parallel with the net so you will get a very good sense of ballance. centre is always played FH. If you do this 2 times a week, you will move like lightning!

kmh888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2006 at 12:05pm

Backhand looks quite good,

You need some weight transfer on your forehand though. Im sure your arm must get pretty tired from hitting forehands like that ( no offence ) :P

Gatien Extra
FH: Hurricane Provincial
BH: Palio CJ800 Speed

Special thick glue
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2006 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Sabito Sabito wrote:

Originally posted by sluskas sluskas wrote:

ahha I play better

I kinda thing you're a spammer, thats not the way we write

I know that sluskas is not cyberswordsman, but by the way sluskas, I have seen your videos of you playing online, and you are no way near as good as him.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic