FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Receiving no spin serve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Receiving no spin serve
    Posted: 04/09/2014 at 5:54pm
How would you receive a short and no-spin/tiny underspin serve if you were to use a one-sided Jpen?  I popped so many of this serve out of bounce last night in two matches from my friend.  I couldn't loop because the serves were short.  When I push, the ball flies out.  I'm thinking perhaps I should push the ball with my paddle facing downward towards the net, instead of directional chops where I would open the paddle up.  Push blocking and flicks didn't work either.

any recommendations?
Sponsored Links

The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 6:12pm
The drop shot in this clip may help

Essentially the stokes are not that different between the Jpen grip and the shakehand grip, I think.
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 6:21pm
Push on the side or chop the back of the ball.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 6:40pm
Drop it back short with a purpose (opposite end of the table the opponent is standing to make him move 1-2 steps and disrupt his balance). Recover to neutral position and prepare to attack next ball... as long as your drop shot was good quality, his attack will either be weak or come long enough so you can open/counter while he has to recover back to neutral. If he doesn't recover, you have the other side of the table open to attack and further unbalance him or win the point outright.

The traditional CPEN/JPEN sidespin block works too (the one Ma Lin and LGL uses).

Edited by Rack - 04/09/2014 at 6:49pm
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 6:59pm
The good thing is that it is a friendly game so you will learn lots by experimenting

the main things 
1. is to reconise the serve (so now you know that that serve has no spin and usually short) I'm not saying this for any silly answer, but just saying if you know the incoming serve then you can return it better
2. have a pre thoughtout response 
i.e tap it back short
next time deeper back to his backhand side
next time slide the ball back on a difficult angle
and practice flipping for fun

most answer are above anyway but just be positive

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 7:19pm
It seems like I asked this question on about forum and Larry suggested a control loop where you contact thinly toward the top of the ball and yank it forward.

But that's not specific to jpen.

Edited by cole_ely - 04/09/2014 at 7:19pm
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

The good thing is that it is a friendly game so you will learn lots by experimenting

the main things 
1. is to reconise the serve (so now you know that that serve has no spin and usually short) I'm not saying this for any silly answer, but just saying if you know the incoming serve then you can return it better
2. have a pre thoughtout response 
i.e tap it back short
next time deeper back to his backhand side
next time slide the ball back on a difficult angle
and practice flipping for fun

most answer are above anyway but just be positive

gently tab the ball short, what a great idea!!!   I was pushing hard and long last night, no wonder all went out! Clap
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

It seems like I asked this question on about forum and Larry suggested a control loop where you contact thinly toward the top of the ball and yank it forward.

But that's not specific to jpen.

I wanted to do control loops to just passively bring the ball forward.  But I was scared of damaging my $300 RSM G-Max in the process if I didn't do it right.  This is the price to pay for playing with an expensive blade like this.  No guts on going for risky shots...Confused
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 8:14pm
Buy a cheap Jpen to practice technique with. 
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

How would you receive a short and no-spin/tiny underspin serve if you were to use a one-sided Jpen?  I popped so many of this serve out of bounce last night in two matches from my friend.  I couldn't loop because the serves were short.  When I push, the ball flies out.  I'm thinking perhaps I should push the ball with my paddle facing downward towards the net, instead of directional chops where I would open the paddle up.  Push blocking and flicks didn't work either.

any recommendations?

i had the same problem too. i ended up flicking most of them. u should be able to flick short no spin/light spin. no spin service wants a lighter spin, even paced return. pushes, control loops, dropshots are ok depending on the opponent's expectation with pushes probably the worst unless you're really good with counters, but it's still better imo to break their 3rd ball atk setup first. i'd only switch off flick receive if they're habitually waiting in the back for a little variation.

however, if you're better with pushes, you can also push high to compensate for the lack of incoming spin, making sure you add good spin to mimic a chop (like vs PO). then block, push, or counter the following return.

Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2014 at 11:28am
Thanks Kenney and Kuro for the tips.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic