Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Donic World Champion 89 Blades 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
asimriz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asimriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic World Champion 89 Blades 2014
    Posted: 04/11/2014 at 5:34am
Has anyone tried out any of these blades ? They're more expensive than Donic blades usually r which means they're probably higher quality than usual, AND Donic has incorporated their version of Zylon carbon in the mix which I can't wait to try out. Being a longtime Donic user, ME WANTS !!!

Does anyone have any experience w these blades ? I'm interested in the Persson OFF+ version of these blades.
Donic Ovtcharov Carbospeed (FL)
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P (max)
BH: Nittaku Fastarc S-1 (max)

Donic Epox Powercarbon (FL)
FH: Andro Rasant Turbo (max)
BH: Nittaku Fastarc C-1 (max)
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 5:42am
Not out yet. They look good though - have to see what that Italian spruce is like.

These are made in Germany, which is interesting in and of itself.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 6:19am
looks to me they are made by soulspin :)

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 7:59am
Originally posted by t64t64t64 t64t64t64 wrote:

looks to me they are made by soulspin :)

Could be. Hope so - it's a reasonable price point for a Soulspin blade, good materials too.

Edited by AndySmith - 04/11/2014 at 9:03am
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 8:58am
They do not look good to me.
Cocktail blades as Nexy Arirang, Inca.
Spruce outer.
Rodizio restaurant.
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 9:03am
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

They do not look good to me.

ejm - Professional Bubble Burster. Available for parties, clean driving license.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 9:45am

Cocktail blades as Nexy Arirang, Inca. Rodizio restaurant.

I want to think that I somehow understand what this cool commentary means... but I'm completely clueless. Confused
sonykurniawan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonykurniawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Cocktail blades as Nexy Arirang, Inca. Rodizio restaurant.

I want to think that I somehow understand what this cool commentary means... but I'm completely clueless. Confused

+1clueless
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 12:31pm
Sorry to desilutionate people.
It is just my view. Not so important to begin paying me much attention.
Giving some clues...
You know when going to a rodizio. They offer a lot of different (good) meats. But at the end one feels a mixture in the stomach that one begins thinking 'how good it is just to eat one tournedo, or a good file instead.
The hinoki or the spruce carbon kiri balsa worked well in that sc, gergely, thick powerful composite blades.
Same building thinner blades adding or not adding other layers do not offer advantage to the well known limba/koto outer composites. On the contrary.
The blade will tend to lose linear performance and directional precision.
What i do not know is if this donic rodizio is better than the nexy rodizio restaurant. Maybe bhman or argo or andy may try and tell.

Edited by ejmaster - 04/11/2014 at 12:40pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
asimriz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asimriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 2:05pm
Thanks a lot guys ! Hmmmm, but yeah I hope someone can play with it & give some feedback.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 3:02pm

Get out of here - we love you ejm!!!!

There is a question mark over a spruce outer for me too, but it just makes me curious. Maybe there's something special about the Italian spruce? Maybe it rides a Vespa and steals your opponents' wives?

They do mention that a lot of different treatments are used. Pressure, drying etc. Could end up being interesting.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 3:27pm

The hinoki or the spruce carbon kiri balsa worked well in that sc, gergely, thick powerful composite blades.
Same building thinner blades adding or not adding other layers do not offer advantage to the well known limba/koto outer composites. On the contrary.
The blade will tend to lose linear performance and directional precision.

The Joola Rossi Emotion is also a not-too-thick hinoki-outer blade. Perhaps the users of that blade can echo their opinions on directionality / linearity here.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 6:47pm
slevin have you seen many good players playing with the joola rossi emotion?.
But there are pros playing with korbel.
For sure there will be people playing well with those world ch 89 blades.
And a lot of people will play better with a cheap premade rather than any well known blade.
Some (fatt, andy...) played the rossi but they change the blade as fast as the weather changes. And keep on searching and trying.

Edited by ejmaster - 04/11/2014 at 6:49pm
EJ Club.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2014 at 4:43pm
You can't use me as a cherry-picked example, ejm. I can't speak for fatt, but I change blades a lot. Probably some form of deep seated psychological issue there somewhere. But I've tried and discarded a ton of blades, including most of your favourites. So my moving on doesn't say anything about the quality of the Rossi Emotion, for example.

And who knows how close these donic blades will be to the ones you mention? How much do we really know about the materials and processes used in these blades?

I appreciate that ejm's estimation will be better than mine though. He's very rarely wrong...
asimriz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asimriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2014 at 10:37am
Anyone used any of these blades yet ?

Edited by asimriz - 05/04/2014 at 11:08am

rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2014 at 11:47am
AFAIK no one has them in stock yet. I'm planning to try a couple of them when tt11 gets them in stock.  They kinda look like the Basaltec with Zylon instead of Basalt fibers so I'm thinking they'll be a little faster which I would prefer.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2014 at 6:10am
My Appelgren has arrived this morning. FL handle, 78g.

The lenses in the handle stick out a bit. It's not really noticeable for my small hands, but it might annoy some.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2014 at 6:16am
I got mine Waldner ST handle weight 90 grams.
Handle is pretty big if you compare it with ZLC and Boll ST.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2014 at 6:56am
Yeah, chunky handle and quite a long head size. Feels generally well-made.

I'm not sure about this spruce outer though. League match tonight. Dare I give this a bash?
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2014 at 7:10am
I dont know about yours,but on waldner carbon is next to the core,so its build like Innerforce Series.
I am not quite sure but JRE i think follow the same line :)
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2014 at 7:17am

I dont know about yours,but on waldner carbon is next to the core,so its build like Innerforce Series.
I am not quite sure but JRE i think follow the same line :)

Yeah, JRE has carbon next to the core. The Appelgren does not though. It's like this:

Spruce - Carbonfleecezylonwhatever - Ayous - Kiri (core)

I went for the Appelgren because it has the thinnest spruce outer of the three. I've slapped JP-01 and Ventus Spin on.
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2014 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Get out of here - we love you ejm!!!!

There is a question mark over a spruce outer for me too, but it just makes me curious. Maybe there's something special about the Italian spruce? Maybe it rides a Vespa and steals your opponents' wives?

They do mention that a lot of different treatments are used. Pressure, drying etc. Could end up being interesting.

Smitty, you are hilarious! LOL  And might I add:  Maybe it appears an appetising treat to Urugyuans? (sic)
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2014 at 1:00pm
I am really looking forward to hearing the reviews!! Andy what is the price on these blades??
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2014 at 2:55pm
I was planning to purchase the series, but after trying the Nittaku Basaltec with its spruce outer plies and finding it a bit softer than I prefer, I decided to wait and see if any other koto users like the feel.  It's possible my problem was with the basalt fabric and not the spruce, but I doubt it.

t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2014 at 3:49pm
today i gave a blade to 2150+ ,he bad amazing shot and he said that this blade is with nice balance and perfect trajektory.

Tommorow is my turn ;)
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2014 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by kevo kevo wrote:

Maybe it appears an appetising treat to Urugyuans? (sic)

Must keep Suarez away from this blade. The outer ply is soft, so the teeth marks would definitely cause lasting damage.

So, league match tonight! The summer league is more of a friendly affair over here - players use it to stay as sharp as possible. I'd won my first two matches, the team was 7-0 up, my 3rd match was against a player I don't usually struggle against. So I used the Appelgren. I won, but it was a struggle. As you might expect with an equipment change 2/3 of the way through a fixture.

The speed is definitely ALL+ to OFF-, which was a pleasant surprise. I thought that was just Donic's classification in the range, and I'd expected a composite like this to be faster.

Sweet spot is big. It drops off right at the outside edge, and you get a bit of vibration there, but it's quite impressive nonetheless.

There is a bit of flex. Looping is very, very easy. The relatively low speed makes it a pretty safe looping blade - you get a lot of latitude with your stroke. Spin seems very high - stupidly easy to load the ball up.

The short game is good in terms of results, but the feel is hollow and a bit washed out. My blade is 78g, which is probably a factor, but the spruce outer could be playing a part too.

As people have predicted, it's not the best for direct, punchy play. Ventus Spin isn't a good fit on the BH for me on this blade - need a harder sponge. JP-01 worked really well on the FH side, and I could do pretty much anything with it.

If I had to compare it to something, I'd probably pick the Nexy Lissom. Both blades have the ability to just keep looping, over and over, and the ball lands comfortably. The Appelgren has fewer vibrations, is less bouncy, bigger sweet spot, is softer, and has that hollow feel, so it's not a direct comparison. I'm only really talking about what it does at the table.

This is only after one match, of course. Very early days. It is however obviously a nice blade. I'm not sure there's a lot of competition in the ALL+ composite looping category, so it has that in its favour. I'm not yet convinced about how it behaves on hitting, smashing, etc. It might lack power. I need to take the Ventus off, and spend more time playing against a variety of opponents.

Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

I am really looking forward to hearing the reviews!! Andy what is the price on these blades??

Retail is 99 euro. I got mine from Tremendous Turbo Tibi for less than that.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2014 at 5:02am
I am a bit skeptical but yet curious.

I own blades with limba - spruce - ayous - spruce - limba.  Compared with limba - limba  - ayous - limba - limba composition, the spruce type has sharper feel and feel "harder".   So when they use spruce as top layer, I expected sharp and hard feel.

But the review here mentioned that it had soft feel.  It is interesting.  Probably spruce isn't a hard wood at all.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2014 at 5:24am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

I am a bit skeptical but yet curious.

I own blades with limba - spruce - ayous - spruce - limba.  Compared with limba - limba  - ayous - limba - limba composition, the spruce type has sharper feel and feel "harder".   So when they use spruce as top layer, I expected sharp and hard feel.

But the review here mentioned that it had soft feel.  It is interesting.  Probably spruce isn't a hard wood at all.

I've always found limba-spruce to be bouncier than limba-limba. I put that down to the springiness of spruce, rather than its hardness.

Spruce has a janka of between 400-500, which is very similar to limba which is 490. Janka doesn't tell you everything though. Plies can have different properties when used as a medial behind something else, and Donic say that the spruce used in these blades has been treated in some way.

I expected it to have a soft, bouncy feel, along the lines of hinoki. It's close, but the Appelgren does feel a touch sharper and less bouncy than other (thick) hinoki outer blades, but with a less solid feel. This is a spruce-fibre-ayous construction - I'm not sure what to compare it against really.

The Waldner version might be interesting in telling us more about how spruce is as an outer:

Spruce - Spruce - Fibre - Kiri
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2014 at 6:22am
Same with Waldner blade,
i expexted to be seriously fast,but in end in off- category.
Today i will do some drills ,because from yesterday test(5 minutes) i have not feel the carbon in it.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2014 at 6:58am

Same with Waldner blade,
i expexted to be seriously fast,but in end in off- category.
Today i will do some drills ,because from yesterday test(5 minutes) i have not feel the carbon in it.

The carbon is quite deep on the Waldner. Perhaps the Persson is what you need! ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic