Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice for Slippery floor - my experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice for Slippery floor - my experience
    Posted: 04/14/2014 at 1:36pm
I think club level players frequently face the challenge of playing on Slippery Concrete or Wooden gym floor, which is not regularly cleaned or maintained... and has become very slippery.

I had been having the same problem for years... and the remedies i thought would work are:

1. Wet Sponge ... constantly wetting the sole after every point
2. Mopping the floor
3. Going for soles with more and more area covered with gum rubber
4. trying thinner heeled shoes
5. sticky spray on sole

results:
1. bothersome... and unpredictable grip at times
2. works slightly not that great
3. This has been counter productive. i will explain why.
4. This definitely helped the grip but killed my knees, due to less shock absorption
5. this is a joke.. these sprays work for few minutes.. after that they actually gather more dust making the grip even lower

Finally for last 6 months, i changed the direction.. and started using black outdoor running type sneakers. [Specifically i am using Asic Gel Venture 3 ... but i think other brand similar shoes would work as good].

And all my grip problems are gone. Even in the folsom sports complex, most notorious for slippery floor; i don't have to use wet sponge.

I know this is counter-intuitive.... i don't know why it works.

Now based on your mobility preference, you can decide on the level of heel and shock absorption you need or don't need. Higher heels will allow better shock absorption...but will cost you quickness in changing direction. but as for the sole... this kind of sole works really good.

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 2:14pm
The problem with using running shoes for TT is lateral movements. It's easy to turn an ankle, as the soles tend to have sharp edges - this can easily get caught in side to side movement. Running shoes are specifically designed to go forward. If they have cross trainers with those soles - that might be a better option.

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 2:25pm
Say no to GHETTO slippery venues. just don't go and it will go out of business.

OR...

You could hold a few huge BBQs to raise money for a floor covering that can be rolled up after use (if you have a shared venue)

Whatever you do, say no to drugs !~!
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 2:35pm
Does Gel-Rocket 6 not work for you?

Dunlop Court Master is good on slippery floors. There is a new model for squash that is perfect too. Dunlop tires will never let you down.

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 5:31pm
BH-Man .... if you knew the size of our clubs in sacramento (with 10-20 tables), and how much they are used for multiple type of games like Basketball, volleyball, conference, gym, etc... you would not suggest that. ha ha :)

Imago... completely opposite experience for me... contrary to popular belief, i have stopped using "gum rubber sole" on slippery floor.

Gel rocket 5 and six were better than some other gum rubber shoes... but after comparing with Gel Venture... i ventured out!!
vid1
Vid 2
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 5:39pm
debraj said: I think club level players frequently face the challenge of playing on Slippery Wooden gym floors, which is not regularly cleaned or maintained... and has become very slippery.

LUCKYLOOP said: From my experience, Mopping the floor once using water usually works. It only takes about 10-15 minutes. You still need to use a shoe for basketball floors.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 6:58pm
@debraj - Once, I mistakenly left home in my Mizuno Wave Drive 6 trainers (runners) and had to play a match in them...

I played so well (very soft under foot) I was freaked out by it and wondered why I had brought 2 pairs of indoor court trainers (harder under foot).

I am genuinely not surprised at all. One size does not fit all... Thumbs Up
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
clannewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clannewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2014 at 11:41pm
http://courtgrabbers.com/  I have been using this product for a couple of months now and it does the trick for me.  And I get to keep using shoes designed for lateral movement.  If you are really training to improve your footwork, running shoes are an injury waiting to happen.  If you play a more stationary game, maybe running shoes will suffice. 
Nittaku Violin FL-L
FH Donic Bluefire m-1 max
BH Donic Bluefire m-2 max
Cocoa Beach TTC, Florida
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 12:48am
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

Once, I mistakenly left home in my Mizuno Wave Drive 6 trainers (runners) and had to play a match in them... I played so well (very soft under foot) I was freaked out by it and wondered why I had brought 2 pairs of indoor court trainers (harder under foot).

There are clubs where you will not be allowed to play in runners. This is how I drive away our casual guests... We only let people with yellow soles in.
glassmaple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassmaple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 3:25am
@clannewton: How long does it last? Can it go a full 2-3 hours session? Can you describe your experience with it? Seems interesting.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 4:01am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

Once, I mistakenly left home in my Mizuno Wave Drive 6 trainers (runners) and had to play a match in them... I played so well (very soft under foot) I was freaked out by it and wondered why I had brought 2 pairs of indoor court trainers (harder under foot).

There are clubs where you will not be allowed to play in runners. This is how I drive away our casual guests... We only let people with yellow soles in.

Yeah sure, I understand...

I wear Asics indoor trainers usually that also have vents in the sole (something an outdoor
trainer will not have).

I was just sharing an experience wear I didn't hurt myself using runners.

... and yes I play a very mobile attacking game...   
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
Jerem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 11:41am
I was playing in Wave's and some Asics TT shoes but nothing come close to grip of :

Nike Elastico Finale II 

Great shoes. 

Only one con is that your feet are gonna swim after 40min :)

Edited by Jerem - 04/15/2014 at 11:43am
Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

Finally for last 6 months, i changed the direction.. and started using black outdoor running type sneakers. [Specifically i am using Asic Gel Venture 3 ... but i think other brand similar shoes would work as good].

problem is it is totally forbidden to play with these shoes...
it is written on every doors from every halls...
if you don't wear indoor shoes... 
you can't play.
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 12:28pm
Our club doesn't like anyone wearing shoes that will leave "black marks" on the floor.
Asic Gel Venture 3 will leave "black marks" on the floor.
skip3119
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Boss1703 Boss1703 wrote:

problem is it is totally forbidden to play with these shoes...
it is written on every doors from every halls...
if you don't wear indoor shoes... 
you can't play.

this is a valid point! i completely agree.

This sole doesn't mark... but still its black and not considered to be non-marking sole.
vid1
Vid 2
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Jerem Jerem wrote:

I was playing in Wave's and some Asics TT shoes but nothing come close to grip of :

<h1 ="title"="" itemprop="name">Nike Elastico Finale II </h1>

Great shoes. 

Only one con is that your feet are gonna swim after 40min :)

pl read the post!!

The point is not which shoe is grippiest....!!! that way there are tons of shoes with gum rubber soles which are very very very grippy for proper flooring.

The point is for slippery floor... many of those shoes lose grip quickly... unless you constantly wet the sole.

I am NOT RECOMMENDING the black sole trail running shoe for proper flooring.

Secondly... its not just about grip, but buffer also for "mostly overweight" club players... and your shoe will get their knees to hospital in less than a week!

vid1
Vid 2
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 3:37pm
the best shoes for playing tt as well as for any other activity known to mankind are

http://www.williing.com/files/user_ececda5872f0aba3d89b5f7cdaf5e6fe3f633e92/ms_original_5282.jpg

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 3:54pm
no.. they didn't work. She was pissed by the smell!!!

but jokes apart... i have seen horrible result in club with the keds type soles.
vid1
Vid 2
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

BH-Man .... if you knew the size of our clubs in sacramento (with 10-20 tables), and how much they are used for multiple type of games like Basketball, volleyball, conference, gym, etc... you would not suggest that. ha ha :)

Imago... completely opposite experience for me... contrary to popular belief, i have stopped using "gum rubber sole" on slippery floor.

Gel rocket 5 and six were better than some other gum rubber shoes... but after comparing with Gel Venture... i ventured out!!

Maybe the drug business is good down there and difficult to give up.

I think the solution of getting a rolled up mat that will cover the floor for playing is the best soultion. They are not cheep, but are SO much better, plus they get rid of reflections from shiny floor, which is one of the biggest light issues in USA anyway. Since you roll them up onto big rollers with wheels when done, recovering and storing them isn't so hard. It is what big gyms do when they need to cover the floor to let people with outside shoes come onto the court for some event.

I still stand by making enough BBQ with $3 Italian sausage and $4 hamburgers... you average a $10 per person visit and making a LOT of sausage/hamburgers on even a small grill like Weber Smoky Joe ($30 USD at Walmart) is easy, a few of these BBQ gos a long way.

Whatever you we do, let's stay out of the drug business, crack kills. :)
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
blitzen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blitzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 4:59pm
I wouldn't use running shoes. I would look at various tennis outdoor court shoes instead.  That's what I use. They work well on a variety of surfaces.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 5:06pm
BH-Man...

I think its a lot of smoke.... thats getting you!!

vid1
Vid 2
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by blitzen blitzen wrote:

I wouldn't use running shoes. I would look at various tennis outdoor court shoes instead.  That's what I use. They work well on a variety of surfaces.

sure...!! I promise not to make it mandatory.

Only for folks who are struggling with a lot of wet sponge and bruised knees. ha ha...
vid1
Vid 2
clannewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clannewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2014 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by glassmaple glassmaple wrote:

@clannewton: How long does it last? Can it go a full 2-3 hours session? Can you describe your experience with it? Seems interesting.

The gel you put on the court grabber pads lasts about 3-4 matches or about a 2-3 hour training session.  And you can reapply the gel anytime during breaks in training or games if needed.  The gel as compared to wet towel seems to me more effective of maintaining the grip on the soles of my shoes.  I am not sure what the gel is, but once it runs out I will try some cleaning solution like Windex or others like that.  Not that using a damp towel next to the table is the worst thing but I have found the court grabbers a little more effective and convenient.  They seemed a little pricey for what you get, but we are ejer's so what the hey!
Nittaku Violin FL-L
FH Donic Bluefire m-1 max
BH Donic Bluefire m-2 max
Cocoa Beach TTC, Florida
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic