Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - beginners with expensive, overly fast equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

beginners with expensive, overly fast equipment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 11:42am
Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

Originally posted by bonggoy bonggoy wrote:

So beginners can't have expensive equipment?

Is there a price point guide for skill level just in case someone ask me for equipment advice. I don't want to give the wrong information and having said person laugh at, or beat up by over 2000 pros.

It's not so much a price point, but more of the binary variable that is whether the equipment is made by Butterfly.
That's another great point.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 11:49am
I don't really pay much attention to what equipment others are using - well, outside of whether it's inverted, pips... etc. If someone asks me for advice, I'll take a look at their game and give them my opinion on what I think might suit them. But other than that, I have plenty of things to worry about with my own game, let alone find the mind-space to worry about whether it's appropriate for this guy and that guy to have a fast $200 blade or not. 

EDIT: Reading over what I wrote here, I realize it can be read sounding a bit "high horse-ish"... was really not intended that way.

kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 12:01pm
"Spin on. Smash off." 

"Remember. It's not the racket. And attitude!"

"Topspin. lives in everything i do ___... everything is topspin loop" 

Edited by kurokami - 04/21/2014 at 12:03pm
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">"Spin on. Smash off." </span>

"Remember. It's not the racket. And attitude!"

"Topspin. lives in everything i do ___... everything is topspin loop" 

Secure socket http ruins YouTube links.
Cybershape Carbon
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 12:35pm
Two things from this thread.

1 - Beginners with expensive equipment. I will always think it's stupid, unnecessary & damaging to your technique to go out and spend 200-300 on your first blade but what do I care if they blow their money.

2 - As far as the coming right out and smashing thing, some people just don't know (in fact a lot of people as I think about it) how to warm up. Beginners at least have an excuse because they're new. They just need to either be taught how to warm up or need to watch professional matches and pay attention two the 2 minute warm-up before play starts. 

But there are several people at the club I attend where their idea of warm-up is like playing points. Most of the time I will just give half effort (I'm not going to go chasing balls) and if I feel like the practice is bad, I'll simply ask to start the match... Might as well if you're playing match like points anyways.

Shoot my best friend at the club is guilty of this. He never does counter-driving warm up. Everything turns into step away from the table and start going for monster loops.

SMH.

What can you do.
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 12:41pm
when playing beginners what I subconsciously do is try to identify what they can do.
then just do whatever I want but always throw it to that place where they can answer in a way that they can answer.

also I realized many beginners have this thing when playing "high level players" that they get all nervous and inhibited and make stupid mistakes.
so I try my best to get them to relax and show them that I'm just like them and I make mistakes all the time too (all this without saying a word, just by my play).

if this is successful most times they relax and bring out a very good player that was hidden somewhere and expecting to play someone who could give them a lot of balls back. this to me is awesome.
seeing a player who was barely passing balls with another beginner start hitting super balls just because he is playing a player who can give them more balls back.

all this thing you guys talk about is more like an ego battle.
it's like you want to play it nice but when the other guy does something you don't approve you get offended and try to "teach them a lesson" and then it's all like a ping pong fight to see who is better.
it's like deep down you are trying to defend your ego/reputation because you are unsure.

as for equipment, after having tried most stuff out there, I don't think there is something much faster or much slower than something else.
everything is pretty similar to everything else.
so whatever they use is fine.
actually if a beginner uses a mizutani with 2 tenergy I would probably feel rather excited and ask him to try it LOL

Edited by puppy412 - 04/21/2014 at 1:24pm
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 12:42pm
When I see beginners using expensive Butterfly carbon blades and Tenergy, I get my 5$ paddle (handmade blade and Palio CK531 OX) from the basement and beat them by just chopping.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

when playing beginners what I subconsciously do is try to identify what they can do.
then just do whatever I want but always throw it to that place where they can answer in a way that they can answer.

also I realized many beginners have this thing when playing "high level players" that they get all nervous and inhibited and make stupid mistakes.
so I try my best to get them to relax and show them that I'm just like them and I make mistakes all the time too (all this without saying a word, just by my play).

if this is successful most times they relax and bring out a very good player that was hidden somewhere and expecting to play someone who could give them a lot of balls back. this to me is awesome.
seeing a player who was barely passing balls with another beginner start hitting super balls just because he is playing a player who can give them more balls back.

all this thing you guys talk about is more like an ego battle.
it's like you want to play it nice but when the other guy does something you don't approve you get offended and try to "teach them a lesson" and then it's all like a ping pong fight to see who is better.

as for equipment, after having tried most stuff out there, I don't think there is something much faster or much slower than something else.
everything is pretty similar to everything else.
so whatever they use is fine.
actually if a beginner uses a mizutani with 2 tenergy I would probably feel rather excited and ask him to try it LOL

actually now that I think of it, there are a couple of guys in my club that use super beginner stuff, like premades with no spin at all.
it's much harder to handle spin or make any kind of shot with this than a gergely with 2 tenergies.
they would do much better if they used an equipment that helps them more.
also even the fastest equipment dies down a lot after a couple months, almost to the point of old srivers or mark v.
so yeah, I'd totally give a schlager carbon + two tenergies to a beginner LOL

Edited by puppy412 - 04/21/2014 at 1:07pm
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by qualizon qualizon wrote:

i have similar problem at a club. There is an older gentleman asked if I wanna hit, so i was like, why not. But I regret accepting because all he does right at the start is hard smashing, and I try to return the ball back in a consistent way, but he seems not appreciating it and keep hard smashing it. 

So at one point I told him we are not trying to win a point here, we are doing warm up and drills. I guess he doesn't understand. The next time he asked me to play, I simply didn't spend too much warm up time with him and have him played a set with me and finish him off quickly Confused
I had a similar encounter - since the player in question was good friend - I asked about this behaviour. I thought his answer might be useful for everyone to understand their side
He says to me. "At my age, it's very rare in matches I would get any chance to hit balls like that - so every time an opportunity presents itself - I'm gonna take it - practice or not!"

So now when we practice, I just try to set him up for some smashes - practice my retrieval skills. It's not too bad since I like playing defensive style. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

this happens all the time
I'm thinking of introducing a new rule: whoever misses - picks up the ball
because, honestly, when we play players like that, basically aren't we forced to pick up the ball for their deficient play?
:)
I like this idea Clap

In fact - I can offer a suggestion - when a person misses the table - we switch sides - so the person who hit the shot can go collect the ball and be on the side closest to the ball!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Two things from this thread.

1 - Beginners with expensive equipment. I will always think it's stupid, unnecessary & damaging to your technique to go out and spend 200-300 on your first blade but what do I care if they blow their money.

2 - As far as the coming right out and smashing thing, some people just don't know (in fact a lot of people as I think about it) how to warm up. Beginners at least have an excuse because they're new. They just need to either be taught how to warm up or need to watch professional matches and pay attention two the 2 minute warm-up before play starts. 

But there are several people at the club I attend where their idea of warm-up is like playing points. Most of the time I will just give half effort (I'm not going to go chasing balls) and if I feel like the practice is bad, I'll simply ask to start the match... Might as well if you're playing match like points anyways.

Shoot my best friend at the club is guilty of this. He never does counter-driving warm up. Everything turns into step away from the table and start going for monster loops.

SMH.

What can you do.

+1! Agree some want to "warm up" by blasting every ball at max not thinking about the next shot or placement. It's frustrating to keep telling them to slow it down a notch and concentrate on consistency not power. Power will always be there when the opportunity arises.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 1:44pm
title of this thread should have "fast equipment" in it. 

There are lots of expensive blades and rubbers that are ALL to DEF speeds.  But I understand what the OP is saying.....usually some beginners that buy expensive stuff .....they pick carbon blades and Tenergys or Tensors they cant handle.     And its not that they have or use them...its that they will not understand that they cant handle it....lol    

Maybe when you see them....or hit with them,  tell them "Ok...move about 12 feet back off the table....that is where that setup will work for you and not any closer"    haaaaaaaaaa

suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

+1! Agree some want to "warm up" by blasting every ball at max not thinking about the next shot or placement. It's frustrating to keep telling them to slow it down a notch and concentrate on consistency not power. Power will always be there when the opportunity arises.

Yep agreed.

If you ever get the chance to warm up with Nathan or Quan, they're excellent warm-up partners for getting in a groove quickly.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 2:11pm
Tale of two players with fast equipment from a few years back.  Both choose a Gergley carbon blade with Bryce on both sides (remember this was a while back).  One listened to his coaches, and gradually developed the touch and strokes to use his chosen combo, and advanced fairly rapidly in the sport.  

The other player has proven to be less successful.  He doesn't take advice easily (from anyone), and is still stuck in beginner mode after all these years.  Still smacks every ball like he did when he first started playing,  and is always asking why he misses so many shots.  The answer is always the same, get a coach, practice proper technique, and practice some more.  His response is the same also, "I already know how to do it, just tell me why I miss so much!"

This second type player is the one that incites the venom you hear in the posts.  There are some players you just can't help  they already "know it all," and are looking for the "magic" that will make them better players. 
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

this happens all the time
I'm thinking of introducing a new rule: whoever misses - picks up the ball
because, honestly, when we play players like that, basically aren't we forced to pick up the ball for their deficient play?
I like this idea Clap

In fact - I can offer a suggestion - when a person misses the table - we switch sides - so the person who hit the shot can go collect the ball and be on the side closest to the ball!

i like the idea of whoever misses picks up the ball, because the person then has to walk all the way behind me, and return to his side before we can start hitting again

you'd think they'd get tired of that, after a while.....

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 5:26pm
if we get angry or sarcastic to see beginners with expensive equipment, its our problem, not theirs.

we need to control our superciliousness, and if we think the equipment is faster than his/her ability, we can politely advise.

if the equipment is expensive but still helps them ... like tenergy fx 2.0 both sides of a Timo Boll AL .... then we don't need to get upset and let them play.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by ByeByeAbout ByeByeAbout wrote:

when that happens to me i go right up to the player..about 4 inches from his face and very calmly tell him that if im going to continue to hit with him he has to get at least 10 in a row right to my fh...real gentle like....and if he does that then he can open up....but there has to be "value" in it for both of us.....i dont come straight out and tell him that im doing him a favour by hitting with him...but it has to work for both of us....

regards
rick
Wow, very friendly, productive, and intelligent method. Kind of like wax on, wax off, but better.

aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 6:45pm
debraj,
You got wrong impression here. Newbies' expensive gear does not bother good players much. It is the attitude toward playing. In this case 3 things happened. Read OP's opening thread.
== ================
1. the guy tried to smash from the get-go (a big no-no for me) 2. he approached me "let's play" with a smug confidence as if he were equal to me just bc he could smash back and forth with U1600, their "local experts" (sigh, must teach a lesson) 3. by saying he needs to switch his racket after missing, he implies it's the equipment and not the difference in our level
==================
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

if we get angry or sarcastic to see beginners with expensive equipment, its our problem, not theirs.

we need to control our superciliousness, and if we think the equipment is faster than his/her ability, we can politely advise.

if the equipment is expensive but still helps them ... like tenergy fx 2.0 both sides of a Timo Boll AL .... then we don't need to get upset and let them play.

Edited by aroonkl - 04/21/2014 at 6:51pm
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 8:54pm
That was an 'interesting' thread - and it seems like it has very little to do with the cost of equipment. I have a couple of comments (I am 1200, by the way, one of the unwashed peasants, so to speak).

1. What someone paid for their equipment is really none of my business. They most likely overpaid, but so does 80% of this forum, folks with EJ affliction in particular. May be they got bad advice, may be they don't consider it expensive, who cares - not your money.  

2. Not sure what's up with 'not my equal' and 'must teach a lesson' - this attitude rubs me the wrong way. You are both TT players and paying customers.

3. OP somehow ends up playing with the offender for an hour or so - how come? In my club if there are people waiting, you play the game and get it over with - so it's 20 min suffering at most if you are so mismatched in level. If he was the only partner there - well, I'm sorry, but you kind of need him then, no?

4. It sounded from the reference to 'local experts' that offender was at his home club and you were a guest? OK, so they don't have very high level players there and their 'house rules' or etiquette are not up to your standard. Not a big deal in the end, since it sounds you won't enjoy playing there.

Look, TT is a niche sport in US and it does not help when some folks are hell bent on 'teaching a lesson' every chance they get. 

rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

That was an 'interesting' thread - and it seems like it has very little to do with the cost of equipment. I have a couple of comments (I am 1200, by the way, one of the unwashed peasants, so to speak).

1. What someone paid for their equipment is really none of my business. They most likely overpaid, but so does 80% of this forum, folks with EJ affliction in particular. May be they got bad advice, may be they don't consider it expensive, who cares - not your money.  
2. Not sure what's up with 'not my equal' and 'must teach a lesson' - this attitude rubs me the wrong way. You are both TT players and paying customers.
3. OP somehow ends up playing with the offender for an hour or so - how come? In my club if there are people waiting, you play the game and get it over with - so it's 20 min suffering at most if you are so mismatched in level. If he was the only partner there - well, I'm sorry, but you kind of need him then, no?
4. It sounded from the reference to 'local experts' that offender was at his home club and you were a guest? OK, so they don't have very high level players there and their 'house rules' or etiquette are not up to your standard. Not a big deal in the end, since it sounds you won't enjoy playing there.

Look, TT is a niche sport in US and it does not help when some folks are hell bent on 'teaching a lesson' every chance they get. 

+1000!

Edited by rusttt - 04/21/2014 at 10:23pm
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 11:34pm
When I play 1100 player, I am 1400.
When I play 1600 player, I am 1900.
I don't think a lot higher level players  kill lower players with all over loops and feel fun.   They mostly let lower players exploit things, play to have fun but they still control the point.

But when there is a big air-head shows arrogant, and not respect their lot higher level skill. I think they should show the different in level.

I think TT is nice and humble already. What will happen if a beginner level talks trash, goes to the high level guys, acts cocky and asks for sparring match.  Dead  

==========================================
==========================================

Edited by aroonkl - 04/22/2014 at 2:16am
boaspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boaspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2014 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

one dude U1200 owned a mizutani, a viscaria, and some all-wood blade idk, all with tenergy.

yes i could've passively blocked BUT
1. the guy tried to smash from the get-go (a big no-no for me) 2. he approached me "let's play" with a smug confidence as if he were equal to me just bc he could smash back and forth with U1600, their "local experts" (sigh, must teach a lesson) 3. by saying he needs to switch his racket after missing, he implies it's the equipment and not the difference in our level

i didn't say anything but just continued fh looping everything at close range. literally 100 balls in a row, he hit 2 past the net only. ball after ball went into the net. one hour past with perhaps 3 returns from him landing in at best. idk what he was thinking, STILL trying to smash at me. after the first 20 went into the net, he was like "let me change my racket". i did my best to keep a straight face while thinking *it's not the equipment...*

it's such a bad idea to play with too fast equipment. being able to smash back and forth with U1600 doesn't mean they're ready for a high level blade. who recommended mj and vis w/ tenergy to this guy? $500 down the drain

haha that was funny how he keep switching rackets.

i think there's nothing wrong with using fast equipment when your starting out its just that it important to keep good technique. but it seem like this guy did not know how to use his equipment
when i started getting serious i use fast equipment too but i was determined to use good technique and practice every day on my strokes.

this guy one the other hand only wanted to show off lol
serves him right
butterfly Timo Boll spirit

FH TG3NEO

BH vega Pro
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 6:37am
it's not about the price. there are a lot of pricey equipment that are not super fast. it's about the speed and control of the equipment
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 7:47pm
Koreans seem to be very brand oriented wanting the top end stuff, whether it is TT equipment or accessories. They spare almost no expense, and make up for it by stretching the use of their rubber to one year.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

When I see beginners using expensive Butterfly carbon blades and Tenergy, I get my 5$ paddle (handmade blade and Palio CK531 OX) from the basement and beat them by just chopping.
Do you even know how to loop? You make it sound like you make a choice but I have a feeling your game is much like pushblocker anyway.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

it's not about the price. there are a lot of pricey equipment that are not super fast. it's about the speed and control of the equipment
Of course. 
Innershield ZLF is a BTY synthetic blade. Slow like a turtle, soft like cotton.

And the op sounds obnoxious to me. You must think you are really cool, you are the boss, for 'showing' that noob and 'teaching him a lesson'. Why didn't u just tell him friendly that YOU THINK his paddle is too fast? Fool..
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 11:29pm
Seems like there are 3 topics here-

What other players use is none of my business and I don't really care. I usually look at the equipment just out of basic curiosity of what they are using and it might tell me a little about their game. If a 1200 player plays tenergy, it's their prerogative. I just figure they have a decent job.

If I encounter a player that likes to hit winners (worse, at my level or above my level) during practice I usually will try to return  the best I can for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes of me chasing the ball I just jump to, "it looks like you're ready let's play". Only a couple of times has someone said no.

If the person is significantly below my level plays a match with me, I'll usually will ask do you want me to give my best effort or do you want me to take it easy. I get about half that say give me your best and the other half says you can take it easy. So I will try to fulfill their wishes.

Edited by Toprank - 04/22/2014 at 11:29pm
CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

Originally posted by ByeByeAbout ByeByeAbout wrote:

when that happens to me i go right up to the player..about 4 inches from his face and very calmly tell him that if im going to continue to hit with him he has to get at least 10 in a row right to my fh...real gentle like....and if he does that then he can open up....but there has to be "value" in it for both of us.....i dont come straight out and tell him that im doing him a favour by hitting with him...but it has to work for both of us....

regards
rick

Wow, very friendly, productive, and intelligent method. Kind of like wax on, wax off, but better.

Perhaps you might want to walk up to a stranger and put your face 4 inches from theirs and ask them if it feels "very friendly, productive and intelligent.

Edited by Tassie52 - 04/22/2014 at 11:57pm
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 1:33am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Of course. 
Innershield ZLF is a BTY synthetic blade. Slow like a turtle, soft like cotton.

And the op sounds obnoxious to me. You must think you are really cool, you are the boss, for 'showing' that noob and 'teaching him a lesson'. Why didn't u just tell him friendly that YOU THINK his paddle is too fast? Fool..

It's not about the equipment.  It is the way the opponent smash all balls during warm up.  The idea of warm up is to put the ball so that you can hit back nicely and vice versa.

So do you like to warm up with somebody who kill / smash every ball you feed him?? 

Edited by doraemon - 04/23/2014 at 1:36am
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 3:53am
Doreamon,

I don't know about you, but someone had to formally coach me on the importance of consistency during practice before I started do warm up for consistency over power.  And while I became consistent pretty quickly (I can tell because players who were about 2000+ had no problem hitting with me when I was 1300-1500), I still way too often warm up with 1500-2000 players who will not let me get into a hitting rhythm before looping the ball hard etc.

So the question of whether OP actually spoke to the 1200 as opposed to just make the 1200 think that warming up harder against the OP was hard because the OP could warm up harder than the 1200 is important.  Assiduous is simply saying more directly what I said earlier that many people who warm up poorly should be talked to before being treated like jerks.   You can take the OP's approach as well, but do it knowing that you might be promoting the problem, not solving it.  On the other hand, practicing killing weaker balls consistently is important because the aggressive mindset is important when facing higher rated players - the OP can do that but only ideally if it is within his hitting pace and for a 1200 vs 2100+, it usually is.  It's one of the reasons why people mess up on the "Guess the Rating" competitions.  They identify many theoretically weaker balls that the opponent should be eating up, but people who don't kill weaker balls on a consistent basis don't eat those balls up!

Edited by NextLevel - 04/23/2014 at 3:54am
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic