FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tibhar 5Q VIP Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tibhar 5Q VIP Review
    Posted: 04/21/2014 at 5:54am
TIBHAR 5Q VIP
Weight: 68 grams uncut
Color: black
Thickness: max
Hardness: Medium
Test Blade: Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon

I spent several days testing this rubber. At first i really was doubtful about this since Tibhar has already released several 5Q rubbers. I was expecting that since this was labeled as a VIP rubber, it was harder than the regular 5Q but I was wrong since it is a lil bit softer than 5Q regular. On a press test comparison with my stockpile of sponges, the VIP version is about 2 degrees approx. softer than the regular 5Q.

The topsheet of the 5q VIP is the same as with other 5Q topsheets but has a different and newer sponge. The newer sponge have very large pores compared to the older compact esn sponges. The 5Q sound is the softest and the 5Q+ has the firmest sponge among the 5Q series. The VIP version is 2nd to the 5Q+.

Anyway, I was expecting it's just another different hardness rubber but I was really wrong. Before trying out the vip version, I am a fan of the Evolution EL-P and 1Q sound. The 5Q sound seemed too soft for my taste and the regular 5Q sorta lacks a little liveliness in its sponge. The VIP version is kinda different. On the first day it felt kinda weird that I cannot explain the combination with the Kim Jung Hoon blade. On the 2nd day, the rubber has settled on the blade and the speed glue effect of the rubber cement I used kinda lessened and I began to appreciate the rubber. All of my attacking shots would compress the ball a lil bit deeper into the sponge but not so much as the rubber will bottom out. I would say this is a very lively rubber because the bounce is very good and fast. The speed of the 5Q VIP is definitely less than the Evolution MX-P but almost in the same level as that of the EL-P version. After the break in period of about a day or 2, you will notice the bounciness of the rubber and its ability to easily spin the ball. The vip has some sort of combination feel between a fast evolution rubber and the spin of a Q series rubber. The vip excels both as a forehand and backhand rubber. You can even use the rubber both sides because it can literally do anything minus chopping. It's almost an all-around rubber that is faster and spinnier. The very grippy topsheet spins the ball with ease. The spin of the VIP is in par with the modern euro rubbers in the market like the Evolution series, sometimes spinnier on more delicate shots like push chops and serves. On forehand to forehand drills and backhand drills, the rubebr is kinda loud. It sounds like a soft rubber when you are hitting it through the sponge. It is not too hard that you are hitting the ball with a brick but at the same you are not hitting a mushy rubber. The vip excels most on loops and counter loops near the table and middle distance. Slow and touchy feel strokes like drops shots, short pushes are not so had to control. I would say that I can use this over the EL-P and keep this together with the 1Q sound. The vip has better handling and control compared to the EL-P and the El-P is a bit faster. I will not even talk about durability. In the past, the Q series rubbers that I have used and let other people used also have proven to be very durable with each rubber lasting up to 4 months when you do multiball training and drills 5x a week at 2-3 hours a day of practice.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2014 at 9:06am
updated with review
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2014 at 9:21am
Nice!

yogi, have you heard anything about "Tibhar 5Q Power Update" or  "Tibhar 5Q Sound Power Update"?

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2014 at 10:22am
Cheers yogi!

Any chance you can compare VIP with 1Q Sound directly in terms of speed and throw?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2014 at 10:56am
Awesome thank you!
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2014 at 6:56pm
andy, VIP has higher arc and also faster by a notch or 2. 1Q sound excels more on blocking and countering but still fast enough and spinny. 1Q sound seems easier to use the VIP when spinning.

vvk1, i don't think that is available now but tibhar will send me those maybe in a month when they are available commercially

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 4:28pm
Played in an end-of-season tournament today (6 matches) with the VIP on both FH and BH of a Soulspin Basalt. Can confirm everything yogi_bear wrote in the review. 

Both the topsheet and sponge are softer than those of MX-P. More control on pushes than with MX-P. More spin on serves than with MX-P. Very easy to open up against underspin, the VIP's topsheet grips the ball very well, and the resulting loops are very spinny with a beautiful arc. Counterlooping at the table and mid-distance were also very easy, no bottoming out whatsoever. Way easier to play with than with Omega V Tour.

Overall, a very nice rubber for both FH and BH of a spin-oriented looper.

Edited by vvk1 - 05/10/2014 at 4:39pm
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

vvk1, i don't think that is available now but tibhar will send me those maybe in a month when they are available commercially

They already are. I got a sheet of 5Q and noticed Power Update label.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Both the topsheet and sponge are softer than those of MX-P.

How soft? Softer than T05? M2? M3? T05FX?

Thanks
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Both the topsheet and sponge are softer than those of MX-P.

Thanks

Sorry, have not played with either of these.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 5:11pm

Thanks

Sorry, have not played with either of these.

Not played with T05? I thought I recall you comparing T05 with MX-P in a post a little while ago...

Anyways, how soft is it (compared to the rubbers you have played with)?

Edited by slevin - 05/10/2014 at 5:12pm
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 5:32pm
I did post my comparison notes on MX-P v OVT after trying OVT for a month here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64949&title=mxp-vs-ov-tour-vs-jp01

Don't recall writing any kind of MX-P v T05 comparison.

Anyhow,  from softest to hardest:

Xiom Sigma Europe II < Tibhar 5q VIP < {OVT, Adidas Tensone Ultra,  MX-P}

Edited by vvk1 - 05/10/2014 at 6:21pm
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 6:09pm
Thanks!

So, in your opinion, is the VIP easier to play with than the OVT because it is softer?
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 6:20pm
IMHO, VIP's (and MX-P's) higher throw helps more than relative hardness/softness. 

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 9:05pm
one thing i have noticed with the VIP is that you need to hit more through the sponge in bringing out the best in the rubber's performance because the sponge is softer than the regular 5Q or MX-P

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 11:55pm

IMHO, VIP's (and MX-P's) higher throw helps more than relative hardness/softness. 

Thanks. I checked TT11 and Dandoy: they  don't have that rubber for sale yet.

I have a slightly different opinion on OVT vs MXP (I had them on the same blade and have been through 3 sheets of MX-P and 2 of OVT): I thought OVT was a high throw rubber (similar to T05) - higher than MX-P.

Though from a pure feel perspective, I prefer MX-P's stiffer, harder topsheet to OVT's softer one, one issue I saw with MX-P was sometimes (as in Rakza 7), the topsheet / sponge did not engage on fast strokes thus sending the ball to the net. I've never had that with M1, T05 or OVT.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2014 at 3:29am

Thanks. I checked TT11 and Dandoy: they  don't have that rubber for sale yet.

I have a slightly different opinion on OVT vs MXP (I had them on the same blade and have been through 3 sheets of MX-P and 2 of OVT): I thought OVT was a high throw rubber (similar to T05) - higher than MX-P.

Though from a pure feel perspective, I prefer MX-P's stiffer, harder topsheet to OVT's softer one, one issue I saw with MX-P was sometimes (as in Rakza 7), the topsheet / sponge did not engage on fast strokes thus sending the ball to the net. I've never had that with M1, T05 or OVT.

That's what perplexed me about my experience with OVT as well. I got it precisely because reviews had said it was a next gen high-throw rubber, and exceeded MX-P in some aspects. But when I tried it, looping underspin just did not work the same as with MX-P. Perhaps, it is something to do with my technique.

P.S.: I got my VIP from contra.de.

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2014 at 8:03am
Here is my free translation of what @dr_stalker  had to say about OVT on ttsport.ru (emphasis mine):

[translation]
For the first time tested Omega V Tour and Pro today.
As far as the Pro version is concerned - excellent impressions. High arc, actively engaging sponge, powerful catapult, topsheet grip clearly better than in any Omega IV or Sigma.
As to Tour - it is a rare case when I could not play with the rubber at all. The feeling is as if the ball flies dead straight after a FH topspin shot. No arc at all. Speed - unbelievable, power - beyond measure, but how does one keep the ball on the table???
Will try to play with these rubbers more. And perhaps, write a review.
[/translation]

This is almost what I had felt when trying to loop underspin with OVT.

riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2014 at 11:23am

Here is my free translation of what @dr_stalker  had to say about OVT on ttsport.ru (emphasis mine):

[translation]
For the first time tested Omega V Tour and Pro today.
As far as the Pro version is concerned - excellent impressions. High arc, actively engaging sponge, powerful catapult, topsheet grip clearly better than in any Omega IV or Sigma.
As to Tour - it is a rare case when I could not play with the rubber at all. The feeling is as if the ball flies dead straight after a FH topspin shot. No arc at all. Speed - unbelievable, power - beyond measure, but how does one keep the ball on the table???
Will try to play with these rubbers more. And perhaps, write a review.
[/translation]

This is almost what I had felt when trying to loop underspin with OVT.

Which blade are you using OVT on? Coming from OIV Pro I found it much easier looping underspin. Using on my signature blade. I've also found it to have much better control and is very consistent. 
Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2014 at 11:48am
I've tried it on both OSP Virtuoso OFF- and Soulspin Basalt. Same results.
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2014 at 8:50am
yogi 
1.can u compare(give rate) about hardness with my backhand rubber such as el-p,1Q sound,t05,t05fx?
2.compare throw angle with el-p,1Q sound,t05,t05fx?
3. is it easy for flip on table aginst underspin,opening loop if compare with el-p,1Q sound,t05,t05fx?
so thank u guy.Embarrassed
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2014 at 8:18pm
1. t05 and el-p is harder than the vip and almost the same with the others you mentioned. the vip seemed closer to the fx-p's hardness.
2. throw is higher than the 1q sound, almost same with el-p, lower than both t05 and 05fx
3. depends. i find all rubbers you mentioned easy to spin with but yes it is easy to spin especially if you hit through the sponge

jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 5:27pm
uhh and how about speed if compare japan rubber like tg64 tg05 tg05fxBig smile
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2014 at 9:29pm
t64 is faster, almost equal to 05 and a bit faster than 05fx

4ugustu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4ugustu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2016 at 8:44am
anyone can compare 5q vip vs bluefire m2?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2016 at 10:00am
M2 is less spinnier maybe almost the same speed.

4ugustu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4ugustu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2016 at 11:09am
same hardness? Weight? throw angle?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2016 at 7:56pm
Vip from what I have seen has a higher throw and has a harder sponge

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic