Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon Blade Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon Blade Review
    Posted: 04/21/2014 at 5:56am
Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon (KJH) Blade
Weight: 85 grams
Blade Head Size: 150 x 156mmm approx.
Thickness: 6mm
Plies: 7 (all wood)
Speed: Off
Hardness: Medium Stiff
Test Rubbers: Tibhar 5Q VIP + Genius Optimum Plus, DHS Memo 3

I have been waiting for this blade since February. The first time is saw this blade on Nexy's website I feel in love with the looks. When I first held it in my hand, it felt very smooth and its several notches higher in terms of quality finish compared to previous Tibhar Blades. I can say that the construction finish is on the same level with Tibhar H-1-9 and H-3-9 which are more expensive Tibhar Blades. The handle is a bit squarish but is more rounded in the edges compared to the red 
cypress. The handle is very ergonomic and the neck part extending to the bottom wings are already sanded which saves you the time to sand the rough edges.

I haven't had the chance to know the outer plies of the KJH but the inner plies seems to have ayous and maybe burnt kiri?? The KJH is a very balanced blade. When the 5Q VIP and Genius Optimum Plus were glued, I weighed the set up and it only weighed 183 grams approx. It never felt head heavy. I compared it to a friend's Tibhar Triple carbon with Sinus Alpha and 5Q Sound and it was head heavy. The KJH was perfectly balanced in its weight distribution. The handle construction and weight might be one of the factors in making the blade more balanced. 

I would say the speed is off for the KJH and not Off+. It wasn't as fast as other 7 ply all wood blades that I know but it has good speed. It is faster than the Samsonov Force Pro which has limba outer plies. In some instances, the Samsonov Stratus Powerwood felt faster by a few notches on some shots like spin drives and counters. 

In terms of feel, the red cypress felt very stiff upon ball impact compared to the KJH. The KJH blade has a unique feel. I cannot compare its feel to other 7 ply all wood blades because its kinda unique. The first day of testing, the KJH felt kinda weird but after several hours of blocking, drilling and occasional looping the pleasant feeling surfaces and I began to enjoy the very good feedback on my hand. The blade does not have any bad vibrations. Its has very good feel on the hand minus the unwanted vibrations. 

So what is special about the Kim Jung Hoon Blade? Aside from the very good feel, it has good speed which is faster than the regular clipper wood minus the head heaviness. It is a more controlled attacking that the blade excels at. The 5Q VIP is already a fast rubber maybe when i place it on another tibhar blade like stratus powerwood it would be faster but on the KJH I enjoy the control and with a very balanced amount of speed on my shots. With the KJH the power of the shots like counter loops or drives remain constant but not so much far from the tabel like about 3 meters or more since you need to exert some effort. It loops good with both Euro and Chinese rubbers. The loop using the 5Q VIP was already expected as good. When I used the DHS Memo 3 for looping it was even easier and spinny too. The KJH also was a stable blocking blade both in passive and active blocking. All in all, this is an outstanding blade. It has this unique good feel which is comparable to an acoustic but harder and is faster in terms of speed. 

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 5:51am
updated with review
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

pablogilberto View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pablogilberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 6:35am
blade looks interesting.  Lemme know if you don't need it anymore, Yogi.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 7:37am
The outer-ply looks a bit like Nexy Lissom or Nittaku Violin. What do you think? Is it white ash?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 10:06am
Magic_M yeah it looks like white ash but I am not so sure. the feel is very good.

Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 12:09pm
Nice blade. Its 120usd price (without shipping) is the fact that scares me.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 12:43pm
In North Korea, this was rebranded as Tibhar Kim Jung Un 
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 6:13pm
yes it is a bit pricey but it's worth it. 

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by DistantStar DistantStar wrote:

In North Korea, this was rebranded as <strong style="font-size: 11px; line-height: 15.399999618530273px;">Tibhar Kim Jung Un 

Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 3:43am
Great review Yogi_Bear! Thanks for taking the time :)
flamingmdn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flamingmdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 3:39am
Yogi_Bear, thanks for the review!
Could you please compare this blade to Stiga's Infinity VPS in terms of speed/control ratio in short game and topspins?
I play with Infinity and consider buying this blade as my first Nexy's production but it's quite expensive so it's hard to decide if I really need it :)
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 9:36am
VPS is slower and has more flex. the KJH being a 7 ply blade is stiffer and faster. the speed of the KJH is more or less faster than the clipper wood. it's worth the price with its unique feel and also it is very balanced in weight.

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 10:41am
people says that Butterfly expensive and here all wood blade cost same as composite blade from Butterfly
flamingmdn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flamingmdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 11:11am
Looking at Nittaku's Acoustic/Violin/Tenor this blade doesn't look so pricey :) But in comparison to others yes, quite expensive. I'm still choosing between KJH and 1.5 times cheaper Nexy Peterpan (5 ply, looks like slower KJH, and 80$ for all wood it's ok) and can't decide :\ It's so hard to be EJ. 
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 9:22pm
i have tried the peter pan, they have a different feeling and the peterpan plays like an all+ to off- blade

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 6:32am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

peterpan plays like an all+ to off- blade

totally not agree with this. it's clear OFF
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 7:31am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

people says that Butterfly expensive and here all wood blade cost same as composite blade from Butterfly

KJH is an exception as well as Inca. These two models are Tibhar by Nexy. The most expensive Tibhar Samsonov Stratus CB is less than 1/2 price of average Butterfly composite.

fb.me/spinnier
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

KJH is an exception as well as Inca. These two models are Tibhar by Nexy. The most expensive Tibhar Samsonov Stratus CB is less than 1/2 price of average Butterfly composite.

Samsonov Stratus cost $95. it's not 1/2 of average Butterfly composite. Viscaria cost $105 for example
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 9:25am

i really find it not that fast. i would rate a clipper wood as off and the clipper was faster clearly than the peter pan

Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 9:30am

Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Samsonov Stratus cost $95. it's not 1/2 of average Butterfly composite. Viscaria cost $105 for example

Not in Europe. Stratus CB is around 60eur, TB ALC or Viscaria 129eur.

fb.me/spinnier
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 11:28am

i really find it not that fast. i would rate a clipper wood as off and the clipper was faster clearly than the peter pan

I didn't have clipper but for me Peterpan much faster than Korbel for example and as fast as Mizutani
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2015 at 11:13pm
I have been using the Adidas Challenge Speed exclusively for the past year and it made me want to have no other blade. In fact I was looking to buy another one as back-up and to try different rubbers.

Last night I decided to try my seldom if ever used Kim Jung Hoon (only tested for a couple of games several months ago) with Andro Hexer HD and 5Q. Back then my impression of the blade was that it was nice feel, good control and loopy (nice loop). Nice but hardly strong enough to win me games.

But last night was I in for a big surprise. The nice feel made me want too loop and loop and drive all night. Control is very high and the spin is just plain wicked. Makes me want to loop drive all sorts of ball . .  and the funny thing is that a very high percentage of my shots landed. I was on all out offensive all night. The blade is definitely high throw and the loop arch is high. It's so easy to nail loop and counter loop a step or two away from the table. With proper contact most balls will find the table. Awesome for flicks, loop and drives at the table.

Now if you ask me what my main blade is? Honestly I don't know right now. The power and speed of Challenge Speed or the short game, spin-loop and control of Kim Jung Hoon? 

KIM JUNG HOON is a looping monster! we'll see in the next few days, more updates by then

Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2015 at 3:34am
Excel in Controlled Attacking . . . . Yogi got this right! 
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2015 at 12:28pm
I switched from Lissom to Kim Jung Hoon recently as my Kanaph and Arirang were heisted during a window break welcoming me back to Boston.

The KJH has an ability to soft block, but the fast block action is outstanding. I can still topspin easily and have "enough" power to finish shots. Not as vibraty as Lissom and still has a low gear. Worth the switch.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2015 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I switched from Lissom to Kim Jung Hoon recently as my Kanaph and Arirang were heisted during a window break welcoming me back to Boston.

The KJH has an ability to soft block, but the fast block action is outstanding. I can still topspin easily and have "enough" power to finish shots. Not as vibraty as Lissom and still has a low gear. Worth the switch.

May I know what rubbers you use on FH and BH?

As I use the blade more I realized that it is a well designed and finely crafted piece of equipment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2015 at 9:39pm
Top ply of my KJH seem kinda soft and some strands stick to the rubber when I change. 

Do I need to seal it? I usually use sanding sealers.

Will it adversely change the playing quality of my blade?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2015 at 9:41pm

VPS is slower and has more flex. the KJH being a 7 ply blade is stiffer and faster. the speed of the KJH is more or less faster than the clipper wood. it's worth the price with its unique feel and also it is very balanced in weight.

Can you please compare the KJH to one of your favorite blades, the Avenger 5.
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 12:49am
Guys, if anybody need this beautiful blade  - let me know Wink
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2015 at 3:03am
I am using Aurus on FH and Elpis on BH with the KJH blade.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2016 at 12:20am
ONE YEAR LATER...

Still use Kim Jung Hoon as main blade.

Still have Nexy Elpis 2.0 on BH and switched FH rubber to Evolution MX-P

Wicked spin potential, very stable in blocks - ability to vary with hand. Speed assessment still in OFF zone, definitely not in OFF+ zone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic