Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Playing Level To rubber cost ratio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mark H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing Level To rubber cost ratio
    Posted: 04/22/2014 at 6:43pm
Would a person under 1800 really benefit from using tenergy of tenergy replacement rubbers? Should the rubbers a person under 1800 be under say 25 dollars a sheet? I'm just wondering at which point does it not make sense for an intermediate level player to spend on a rubber that he would not even be able to achieve what the rubber offers at the premium prices.
Blade: Timo Boll Spirit AN
FH: Black Renanos Hold 2.1 mm
BH: Red Renanos Hold 2.1 mm
Sponsored Links

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 6:55pm
there are no correct answers to the question
 as it depends on so many variables, I think people assumes everyone else is like themselves

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 6:56pm
I feel I use Tenergy to its full potential. My playing level has nothing to do with my rubber selection. It has everything to do with practice and the various aspects of the game.

Besides I can use Tenergy for a long time as it is durable, and I can afford new sheets if necessary. I think it is wrong to associate cost of a rubber with skill level.

Would a person under 1800 really benefit from using tenergy of tenergy replacement rubbers?

Yes.

Should the rubbers a person under 1800 be under say 25 dollars a sheet?

No.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 6:59pm
The question is a bit overhyped. I playe my best TT from 1500 to 1700 with Tenergy and Baracuda. While rubber is not a big deal, trusting what you use is.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Mark H Mark H wrote:

Would a person under 1800 really benefit from using tenergy of tenergy replacement rubbers? Should the rubbers a person under 1800 be under say 25 dollars a sheet? I'm just wondering at which point does it not make sense for an intermediate level player to spend on a rubber that he would not even be able to achieve what the rubber offers at the premium prices.

My preferred FH rubber is Low $30s Aurus and $8 XP 2008 Super Power. $40ish for both rubbers, not bad, plays pretty well for me.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 8:52pm
Mark,
It depends on Dough in your pocket and how do u like the rubber. If yes, go for it. Don't put it on too fast blade, it will be ok. If overall is too fast, it will damage or drag u from learning and developing proper strokes.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Mark H Mark H wrote:

I am pretty sure they might... I know a few people around 1400 who use T05 for blocking style game and they do generate good shots with bad strokes...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 9:36pm
this thread is very similar to this other one

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66287&PN=2#798212

why do people get mad at beginners using the most expensive latest stuff?
I don't really get it.

is it like a "you are new so you need to suffer, you need to earn your right to use that equipment" type of reasoning?
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 10:08pm
It doesn't bother me at all that lower ranked players buy expensive equipment. If they have the money, more power to them for propping up the economy. Weekend golfers get custom fitted clubs that cost thousands, if that is what they want and it makes them happy who am I to interfere?

I am a little bothered by the type of equipment they pick, blazing fast blades and max thickness rubbers when they don't have a hope of controlling them. Tenergy is readily available in 1.9.  Butterfly makes expensive blades that aren't Offensive+, but apparently there is some sort of taboo on purchasing that.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 10:10pm
So what is your rating, considering your Renano Hold cost twice as much at $50.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 10:18pm
I like it when lower ranked players I play use expensive rubbers.  They tend to be faster, more bouncy, and less control rubber that my spin game works better for.   The lower ranked players with cheap pre-mades are more of a dislike for me to play with. 

I could really care less what people want to spend their own money on as it is their right and freedom to do so.  They learn at some point that they dont need expensive equipment that is too fast or not controllable at some point when they play enough.  But again, not all expensive equipment is fast and some are fairly controllable with certian combos of rubbers and blades.

puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 10:27pm

Edited by puppy412 - 04/22/2014 at 10:27pm
puppy412 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppy412 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

It doesn't bother me at all that lower ranked players buy expensive equipment. If they have the money, more power to them for propping up the economy. Weekend golfers get custom fitted clubs that cost thousands, if that is what they want and it makes them happy who am I to interfere?

I am a little bothered by the type of equipment they pick, blazing fast blades and max thickness rubbers when they don't have a hope of controlling them. Tenergy is readily available in 1.9.  Butterfly makes expensive blades that aren't Offensive+, but apparently there is some sort of taboo on purchasing that.

I've never come across equipment that was so fast that by itself it would cause you to throw the ball out.
when the ball goes out long it's because you put the paddle in the wrong angle, not because the equipment is too fast.

Edited by puppy412 - 04/22/2014 at 10:37pm
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2014 at 10:43pm
I see it all the time. People who can't hit 3 balls in a row without just blocking on the forehand, who are afraid to swing out because when they do the ball hits the back wall.

I see others who don't care, trying to loop-kill the ball as hard as they can, not making half of them, but the ones that land are spectacular.

Or people who mostly push and block on the backhand, but they have trouble receiving serves because they are using some max thickness modern tensor rubber.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by aroonkl aroonkl wrote:

Mark,
It depends on Dough in your pocket and how do u like the rubber. If yes, go for it. Don't put it on too fast blade, it will be ok. If overall is too fast, it will damage or drag u from learning and developing proper strokes.
+1.  Right on with both points.
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 3:51pm
Price doesn't matter, it's all about speed and spin. Don't worry about spending money, but it has to be slow and controllable. Like riding motorcycles, would you put a beginner on a 2000cc beast? He would die. Don't worry about spending $200 or $300, just as long as it says DEF on blade and rubber. Also, have a Tenergy setup on the side, for those days you want to test your skill. If you're playing like a skitzo cripple, you know you're not ready yet.
townhousecrackers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote townhousecrackers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 4:00pm
I dont understand why people get so worked up about this topic.

If the player is new but is getting proper training and practicing regularly its ok to play with Tenergy as first rubber. I have seen too many 8-12 yr olds start playing with tenergy, xiom, etc that just start off with proper training and then in 2-3 years are nearing or over 2000 usatt.

If you already have bad habits, dont get training and just play recreationally, obviously playing with super fast equipment is going to make you less consistent, ESPECIALLY if you play better people than you.

Slower equipment would be only be ideal for learning players who are trying to get better and do the majority of their learning through playing and experience, this way they can learn while not putting themselves out of games by using unctrollable equipment.

I think its that simple. I don't see how people can disagree so much about this
VKM
RED Tenergy 05 2.1
Black Dtecs OX
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 4:08pm
Okay awesome players who can piss down upon me from a great height, test my logic for me.

I feel like using slow equipment when you first start enables you to start engaging more of your strength using bigger strokes where fast blades and bouncy rubbers push you to passive play and small strokes to retain any control. Once you can use power and want to play further from the table, you can move up a level in equipment. Speaking just for myself, when I jump too far ahead on speed my whole game suffers.

Note that this has zero to do with price. This is such a cheap sport compared to anything else I've done that buying top of the line stuff isn't a question of money, just suitability for my game and an unfortunate curiosity about that always greener area just the other side of the net.
808ponger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 808ponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 4:15pm
Some sub $25rubbers I've tried:
Yinhe Moon, Air Illumina, Gambler Outlaw, 729 Focus 3, Palio Hidden Dragon, Tuttle Beijing 4, DHS Neo

I switched to Xiom rubbers because I have gear snob tendencies and highly susceptible to marketing. The German rubbers do feel better and offer more performance however I don't think any of those cheaper rubbers is going to hold anyone back.

BTY Harimoto Stiga DNA M
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

as it depends on so many variables, I think people assumes everyone else is like themselves

Yep.  It just depends.  Two key variables to consider.

1) How much money you got?
2) How much are you going to train to improve beyond 1800 and how far beyond do you plan to go?

My main point in questions like these is to remind people that equipment, while important, is no magic bullet that can substitute for technique and training.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2014 at 10:51pm
I don't see that much of a problem with lower level players using Tenergy or tensors but they simply don't need to if money is an issue. IMO most sub 2200ish players don't have the technique to get the full benefit of the rubber when looping.

With blades I also don't think it matters if a lower level player uses an expensive blade but again they don't need to have one if money is an issue. The main thing though is that too fast a blade will, in many/most cases, be a hindrance to their development.
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 9:50am
Originally posted by rusttt rusttt wrote:

Okay awesome players who can piss down upon me from a great height, test my logic for me.

I feel like using slow equipment when you first start enables you to start engaging more of your strength using bigger strokes where fast blades and bouncy rubbers push you to passive play and small strokes to retain any control. Once you can use power and want to play further from the table, you can move up a level in equipment. Speaking just for myself, when I jump too far ahead on speed my whole game suffers.

I doubt I can piss on you from great height, but I can test your logic Smile

You can engage all of your strength from the very start, if you are diligent in maintaining proper form. It all depends on the individual and their level of self control. This is like saying in baseball you should hit with a batting weight or really heavy bat for a few years, that way it makes you stronger and you can hit farther later.

Using slower equipment holds you back in the short game. Letting you too easily make poor stokes on pushes, etc. and still maintain control. Faster equipment may allow you to make longer shots with poor technique, but slower equipment allows you to make shorter shots with poor technique.

In the end it still comes down to an individuals effort in learning proper strokes for every part of the game.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 10:17am
my student has been using just a tuned globe 999 national black max and an RITC Focus 3 Snipe. He has been playing for more than 1 and a half year. This was his vid 4 months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn1HWSVbilc&list=UUDyKL686Xk38HgQVHTJhyQw
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 10:26am
I use currently blade from premade bat. Feeling when you beat owner of most expensive equipment? Invaluably :)
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 10:37am
Almost all the kids i see learning the game at the club are using tenergy and that's under the direction of a former provincial coach assisted by usatt 2500 level coaches.
I believe the idea is kids can learn and adapt with anything and since the annual cost of rubbers is so low compared to the cost of lessons it's best that they stick to the best from the start.
It makes a lot of sense to me...the annual 8 sheets of tenergy (change every 3 months) represent less than 6 weeks of private coaching.

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 10:43am
Why should hobbies make sense?  

I'm 1500 and 45 years old and started playing two years ago.  I'll never be very good, but I have a Joola tournament-used table and red floor in my garage to practice on.  It cost a lot.  Does it make sense?  Of course it doesn't, but WTF should I care?  It's my money and TT is my hobby.  It makes me happy to go practice my crappy 1500-level game in a really nice TT garage.  

Same thing with the rubber choice.  I have max T05 on both sides of a TB ZLF.  It's not too fast, but it does react very hard to spin.   So I have to learn to read spin better, and it is real obvious when I make a mistake.  I could get a less-spinny rubber or SP and maybe go up some points and not need to learn to read spin as much, but why should I do that?  So I could save maybe $10 a month, who cares?

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 11:38am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Does it make sense?  Of course it doesn't.
If it keeps you active it makes perfect sense. It is money well spent.

Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2014 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

I fully agree with that!
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 2:46pm
i feel that if you're determined to develop optimally, you should use equipment to match your level and build up from there. if you've already spent money on tenergy etc. and your coach doesn't have anything to say about it, then i guess it's fine. in my experience though, everyone who went all-around -> fast -> tenergy developed much better attacking ability on avg. 

Edited by kurokami - 04/25/2014 at 2:47pm
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2014 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Reinecke Reinecke wrote:

Originally posted by rusttt rusttt wrote:

I doubt I can piss on you from great height, but I can test your logic Smile

You can engage all of your strength from the very start, if you are diligent in maintaining proper form. It all depends on the individual and their level of self control. This is like saying in baseball you should hit with a batting weight or really heavy bat for a few years, that way it makes you stronger and you can hit farther later.

Using slower equipment holds you back in the short game. Letting you too easily make poor stokes on pushes, etc. and still maintain control. Faster equipment may allow you to make longer shots with poor technique, but slower equipment allows you to make shorter shots with poor technique.

In the end it still comes down to an individuals effort in learning proper strokes for every part of the game.

This is a misleading argument. The issue is whether you can consistently make and control the strokes you play. Equipment can make you more consistent because it allows you to have more gears within a range of speed. Most people know how to swing harder and at the level where most people play, swinging harder doesn't add as much as being able to keep the ball in play. This is easier with slower equipment. Not snail speed slow, but slow enough to have some dwell.

Edited by NextLevel - 04/25/2014 at 6:39pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic