Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pimples on back hand suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stanton65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanton65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pimples on back hand suggestions
    Posted: 05/01/2014 at 6:12am
I am currently thinking of switching to pimples on  BH and would like to ask for advice on what to choose.
I was thinking of Long Pimples like TSP Curl P4 on BH as I tend to do a lot of BH pushes on the table. Or should I use the SP Stiga Radical. Note that I would like some sponge underneath and not OX(1.0-1.3mm). I like to place the ball with my BH returns on my opponents service and attack on FH with my inverted rubber but not really of a chopper. The blade I want to use is a YEO with Xiom Vega Japan (max ) on FH
Donic WSC JO Blade
Xiom O4Europe(BH)
Butterfly T64(FH)
Sponsored Links

Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 7:16am
It all depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want pips on the backhand to slow down the game and to set up forehand attacks with long pips blocks and pushes OR if you want pips that will cause very uncomfortable balls for your opponents and you don't mind that they are a little harder to control? When choosing long pips, it's always a balance between control and disturbing effect.. Usually, the pips that are most difficult for your opponents are the ones that are hardest to control. So, if you are mostly worried about slowing down the game an want a slow pips rubber with good control but less disturbing effect, there is one set of long pips rubbers for you but if you want the pips to force your opponent into making mistakes instead, then there's another set of long pips rubbers. Those are harder to control but they are very uncomfortable for the opponents. First you need to clarify what exactly you want to do with it and then it's appropriate to make recommendations.
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Scorpnox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpnox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 7:39am
Why on earth would someone choose to play with pimples?
Thats not tabletennis my friend...
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 8:01am
Hammnond FA is great. 
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Scorpnox Scorpnox wrote:

Hahaha. Got beaten by a pimples master recently?
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 8:16am

pimples are the origin of table tennis!Shocked
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 9:08am

Ha. I tend to disagree my friend.

Putting an $8 OX LPs on my backhand side of my Cpen is honestly the best move I've ever made for my game.

To the OP:

I get the impression you've never played with pips before. If that's the case, I think you will struggle with how long pips plays and feels. There's definitely a substancial learning curve IMO.

I would recommend a simple, classic SP like 802. I prefer 2.0 so that I can still somewhat attack but I've also had 1.5 and the blocking is really good. But the attack suffers then.

802 can do a little bit of everything. You can attack with it. You can still chop with it very well. I think you probably would find it very, very controllable.

Edited by suds79 - 05/01/2014 at 9:12am
stanton65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanton65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 9:25am
I am a player who 4 years ago came back from a almost 25year break from TT and tried some all pimples bat back then. The racket was a DHS premade with both sides having <<BLUE>>Big smile pimple rubbers. I have colleagues( old "farts" like me) with very good mobility in the game,  now playing with pimples on their BH and I normally can handle their disturbing strokes. I have an idea of how stokes are different with Short pimples and their non tackiness feel.
Donic WSC JO Blade
Xiom O4Europe(BH)
Butterfly T64(FH)
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 9:57am
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Same thought that I had when I saw the post... LOL
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 1:11pm

==================================

That's not too bad, got beaten by a pimples newbie is far worse.
skip3119
Saltebor1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltebor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 1:33pm
Try Armstrong Attack 8M. With this rubber you can do pretty much everything. blocking, chopping smashing, even backhand open loops are possible. I like it a lot. I used to play inverted BH, 2 month ago I start playing Armstrong, and like it.
bns7117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bns7117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 1:36pm
My clubmate has a LKT LP, very soft, not as offensive and bouncier as DHS C7 or C8, but easier to return the ball on table(easier to hit the net too...), pretty good for push&block, its cheap too.
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 1:38pm
I'm a BH pip player.  Last night I used 802 1.5mm.  I can attack with 802 1.5mm but they are mostly flat hits that create fast dead balls.  The easy of control when playing matches out weighs the funk of LP.  802 2mm allows one to generate more spin and absorb/block faster balls.  802 2mm allows for a slightly more aggressive game.

Playing like Pushblocker does is not for every body.  Until about 6 months ago I played with Firewall Plus with Giant Dragon Talon 0X.  The problem is that it is difficult to attack balls with Talon 0X.  It is also hard to push aggressively so the opponent doesn't have time to setup a loop kill. The other problem is that the Firewall Plus is relatively fast so when blocking loops the ball tends to go long.

I have a Toni Hold White Spot ( very slow ) with XY979 from colestt.com.  I find the slower rubber and blade work much better for me plus it has a little more friction so I can hit and chop with it.  This blade can block short and double bounce all but the fastest balls.

I have a paddle I call my 'fun' paddle.  I find that the control is excellent for what it costs but the THWS with XY979 is what I would use in a match.  It is an LKT Instinct ( slow ) with 755 0X on the BH.  This paddle also works well for me because the 755 0X has a little more grip and the LKT Instinct blade slow.

Finally I have a Donic Defplay Senso that I bought mostly for practicing against chops but since we take turns chopping for each other I can chop too.  I have 388D-1 Quatro 0.6mm.  I can hit balls back from the table as well as chop.  I usually chop the low balls and hit the hi ones.

It is important that you learn how to twiddle if you play with LP.  At lower levels the opponents will just feed you dead balls with little or no spin.  If you twiddle, you can attack these balls and force the opponent to not play safe against the pips.

I have a YEO,  that is relatively fast compared to the blades I mentioned above.  In coming loops will be hard to block and keep on the table. I would visit colestt and buy the 388D-1 0.6mm Quatro or possibly make a custom rubber using a Xy979 or Air UpUpUpUp UQ top sheet and a 0.6mm 'foam' type of sponge.

Scorpnox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpnox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2014 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

Same thought that I had when I saw the post... LOL

yes :p
I always lose against pimples, like 99% of the time...

I hate playing against them and will never like it.

My game is focused on rotation, so its a disadvantage.
We even got training on how to play against them but in competition i lose my nerve and cant do anything.

Edited by Scorpnox - 05/01/2014 at 1:42pm
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 2:41am
Originally posted by Boss1703 Boss1703 wrote:

pimples are the origin of table tennis!Shocked

before start of a match, my opponent always asks me if I have "regular" rubber on my forehand.  My reply: "No sir, I have inverted on my forehand"
opponent: "well, that's regular rubber, right?"
me: "No sir, the reason it is called INVERTED is because, as the word implies, it is not normal, regular or standard".

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 5:05am
Yeah, the true game is played with pips.

Edited by ChichoFicho - 05/02/2014 at 5:06am
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
stanton65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanton65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2014 at 1:39pm
A friend of mine will let me try his Cloud and Fog rubber on 1.0mm rubber. Will see how it goes on the YEO
Donic WSC JO Blade
Xiom O4Europe(BH)
Butterfly T64(FH)
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2014 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by stanton65 stanton65 wrote:

A friend of mine will let me try his Cloud and Fog rubber on 1.0mm rubber. Will see how it goes on the YEO

I tried Cloud & Fog with 1.0mm and I felt I was in a fog. Never got used to it. I've been using TSP P4 curl with 0.5mm for about a half year and very pleased with it. I'm trying to mostly use it for off table chopping, but I can do some blocking and hitting if I'm up at the table.

Edited by heavyspin - 05/03/2014 at 1:56pm
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Saltebor1 Saltebor1 wrote:

Try Armstrong Attack 8M. With this rubber you can do pretty much everything. blocking, chopping smashing, even backhand open loops are possible. I like it a lot. I used to play inverted BH, 2 month ago I start playing Armstrong, and like it.

What sponge hardness do you play with - 43 deg or 48 deg hard ? 
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by right2niru right2niru wrote:

Get the 43 degree with 1.8mm sponge, best of both worlds (attack & defend).
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

I played  48 deg and it was alright in push , loop and hit however didnt like it in blocks coming from inverted world . Is the 43 deg any different in blocking ? 
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 12:03am
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Ha. I tend to disagree my friend.

Putting an $8 OX LPs on my backhand side of my Cpen is honestly the best move I've ever made for my game.

To the OP:

I get the impression you've never played with pips before. If that's the case, I think you will struggle with how long pips plays and feels. There's definitely a substancial learning curve IMO.

I would recommend a simple, classic SP like 802. I prefer 2.0 so that I can still somewhat attack but I've also had 1.5 and the blocking is really good. But the attack suffers then.

802 can do a little bit of everything. You can attack with it. You can still chop with it very well. I think you probably would find it very, very controllable.

I tell people all the time to put pips on the bh of their pens instead of a paint sheet.  At least you can flip to it if you need to get serves back.

I think 799 chops better than 802 or -1 and the bulk of my customers have said as much.  802 just doesn't give enough dwell time for regular players to chop with.

not to say you can't chop some with 802 and the right kind of sponge will help
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 6:16am
Pushblocker has in the past written extensively on how to play against LP rubbers. He should combine all his advice into one article, if he finds the time. Otherwise here's one:

http://www.ponguniverse.com/blog/551/how-to-play-against-pips-out-rubbers/

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 8:54am
Try something new and different. Valor Premier with sponge allows you to chop and attack since it combines the features of short and medium pips. Control is excellent.
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 11:12am

Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

I played  48 deg and it was alright in push , loop and hit however didnt like it in blocks coming from inverted world . Is the 43 deg any different in blocking ? 

For me the 43 degree sponge when blocking has better placement and sink. Makes looping more difficult for my opponent.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 11:20am
Funny how two-year old threads come to life.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic