tabletennis11.com

Darker Alba & Serio - SAKURA blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Darker Alba & Serio - SAKURA blades
    Posted: 06/04/2014 at 7:35am
In the latest Darker catalogue there is a new series of blades called Sakura. The wto blades in the series are the Alba and Serio. In the catalogue there is a description and graphs, and I'd love to know what it says, but unfortunately it's in Japanese. :(
Can anyone translate?

Here is the page:

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Sponsored Links

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2014 at 9:02pm
Anyone?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2014 at 12:02am
Here you go!

------------
The Birth of the Plywood Sakura

The feeling of one-ply hinoki achieved with plywood.

This has been a big dream Darker has longed for.

For the material and construction, we have decided to choose the 7-ply hinoki which has a proven track record.

Next, the development team tackled the gluing method of plywood, which influences the feeling of impact.

The gluing method is the product injected with years of dedication and effort.

And finally, by using the unique gluing method,

The sensation of dwell, the sharpness of bounce, and the stretch,

The feeling that hinoki possesses is accomplished.

Yes, it's the birth of the plywood that reproduces the exact feeling of one-ply hinoki.

*The name Sakura comes from the color of the glue(cherry blossom pink) developed by Darker.

***********Pink text***********
Characteristics of Sakura

Soft shock-absorbance and strong flex to coexist with a slight time-lag is the biggest feature of the Sakura. Weak flex at the low end of impact, strong flex at the high end of impact.(red line on the graph)

That is one characteristic that, surprisingly, few blades possess. Too much bounce on drop shots or blocks, and conversely, when hitting hard away from table, the power of a plywood blade often does not come out as one might expect.(blue line on the graph)

***********Graph***********
(Graph A) Graph of Shot Response
Y-axis says Shot Rebound
X-axis says Impact Strength

[Short red line] The red line represents that weak rebound occurs upon low impact and strong rebound occurs upon high impact(symmetric performance).

[Short blue line] The blue line represents that strong rebound occurs upon low impact and rebound not strong enough occurs upon high impact(non-symmetric performance).

Edited by zeio - 06/05/2014 at 12:13am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2014 at 2:02am
Awesome, thank you zeio, much appreciated!!!Handshake
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2014 at 4:45am
You're welcome. That blade sounds intriguing if it lives up to the description. Anyone interested in getting one?
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
ILE4519 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILE4519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2014 at 10:52am
Can't wait to get oneSmile

ILE4519
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2014 at 11:27am
I've had a close look at the plies, and it looks like they're 7 ply kiso hinoki blades. the Serio just a little thicker than the Alba.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2014 at 1:45pm
Are Alba and Serio similar to 7P-2A and 7P-2A.7T only with different glue and handle colour?
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2014 at 3:34am
Per the request of another member, I've translated the second page of the Darker Sakura series in the Darker Catalog 2014.

[White text over pink background]Feel the Evolution of Plywood - Two Types of Strong Lineup

[Between the two pink ribbons]The incessant search for the possibility of "Sakura" sees the completion of two types made of different material and construction. The expression of personality is the passion of this lineup.

[Big white text]Aruba

Just like the killer shot of top player!
Feel the "catapult" after the "bite"!!

Making the best use of the characteristics of Sakura, the racket suppresses the bounce of close-to-the-table drive, block and so on, but increases the bounce for driving rally. The combination of hinoki and other wood has created an ideal sensation at impact. Power hitter will feel satisfied as well.

* For offensive play
* 7-ply of hinoki plus other wood
* Grip/ FL, ST

[Side of blade]* Cross-section of Alba
The cherry blossom pink is the proof of Sakura

[Big white text]Serio

As a result of "Sakura", the hinoki-only plywood blade comes with good "catapult" and at the same time the experience of "sharp stretch"!!

A unique characteristic realized by Sakura is the flexible feel at impact that allows for ease of driving. This blade is especially suitable for players who favor soft feel at impact. You should be able to feel the catapult, and at the same time the good stretch of hinoki. Recommended for players with no confidence in power.

* For offensive play
* All-hinoki 7-ply plywood
* Grip/ FL, ST

[Side of blade]* Cross-section of Serio
The cherry blossom pink is the proof of Sakura

Edited by zeio - 05/23/2018 at 5:11am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2014 at 1:56pm
So to make a blade that plays like a one ply Hinoki
use several plys of Hinoki.

Hey guys its still Hinoki

So the only difference ( if their is one ) is the pink glue.

Just buy a one ply.

ILE4519 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILE4519 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2014 at 2:20pm
But the price of these blades is still much cheaper than Darker speed 90 and Tanban......
ILE4519
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 1:28pm
Apart from the specs, is there any real difference between Serio and 7P-2A (both 6.tmm thick)?

fb.me/spinnier
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 5:55pm
I did own a Serio. I tested with it and gave it a good review. However, It is not a blade for me, as I prefer playing with 5 plies.
Enter_Thrice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enter_Thrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by hithithit hithithit wrote:

I did own a Serio. I tested with it and gave it a good review. However, It is not a blade for me, as I prefer playing with 5 plies.

Do you know the difference between Alba and Serio? I would like to buy one of them, but I´m not sure which would suit my game more. Currently I play with a Nittaku Acoustic, but I´m looking for something a little faster. I really like Hinoki of course.Wink
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Enter_Thrice Enter_Thrice wrote:

Do you know the difference between Alba and Serio? I would like to buy one of them, but I´m not sure which would suit my game more. Currently I play with a Nittaku Acoustic, but I´m looking for something a little faster. I really like Hinoki of course.Wink

As far as I know:
1) Serio is softer and is a bit more thicker than Alba. I found serio to have good dwell time, so I was able to produce good spin. The blade with rubbers (Donic Bluefire JP01 2mm and Nittaku FastArc S1 2mm) mixed well and were quite balanced.
2) I have been told Alba has a harder feeling as only some plies are hinoki. Specs wise, it is thinner by a small fraction (~3mm, please confirm this yourself).

Look, I am not sure if a 7 ply blade is the way to go if you are used to the Acoustic. But then again, to each their own (e.g. playing style and rubbers).

For your information, have you thought about Victas Dynawood Power? Or its less powerful sibling Dynawood?

I don't know if it is hinoki, but it's something you could think about. Quite a recent release.

http://victas-jp.com/home/blade/DynawoodPower.html
http://victas-jp.com/home/blade/Dynawood.html
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 9:39pm

2) I have been told Alba has a harder feeling as only some plies are hinoki. Specs wise, it is thinner by a small fraction (~3mm, please confirm this yourself).

I think you meant 0.3mm, right? Big smile
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I think you meant 0.3mm, right? Big smile

Yes! And thank you! :)
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2014 at 12:45am

For your information, have you thought about Victas Dynawood Power? Or its less powerful sibling Dynawood?

I don't know if it is hinoki, but it's something you could think about. Quite a recent release.

http://victas-jp.com/home/blade/DynawoodPower.html
http://victas-jp.com/home/blade/Dynawood.html

Certainly not hinoki. Not all-wood blades either. In the only review I found (in Japanese) I read both are as heavy as Mazunov. Keep in mind their price in the Japan is from 11500-15000¥, on par with Butterfly hybrids.

You tried 7P-2A before Serio?

fb.me/spinnier
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2014 at 6:14am
Dynawood and Dynawood Power are around 90g. This is what the Specs say, and it's also quite accurate from the ones I've seen. They are all wood, but use 'wood fibre' as a substitute for other composite materials, which is their new technology. You're right though, no sign of any hinoki.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2014 at 11:49am
Anyone know if any USA distributors sell Darker blades? I have heard they are the Rolls Royce of honoki blades.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2015 at 3:46pm
Has anyone tried Serio?

fb.me/spinnier
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2018 at 12:25am
Three years have passed since last post...
Has anyone tried Serio or Alba?
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2018 at 12:42pm
Alba’s construction looks pretty close to Nittaku Septear, but Septear is marked as 6.7mm thick vs 6.2 for Alba. Maybe Septear reviews could give an estimation to Alba’s performance.
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2018 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by DLC1325 DLC1325 wrote:

Alba’s construction looks pretty close to Nittaku Septear, but Septear is marked as 6.7mm thick vs 6.2 for Alba. Maybe Septear reviews could give an estimation to Alba’s performance.

Based on the above info, I would conclude that the Serio is closer to Septear because of the thickness (6.5 vs. 6.7 mm) and also the fact that Serio uses 7 plies of hinoki whereas the Alba is a 7-ply blade but also uses some other wood.

Edited by Matt Pimple - 05/22/2018 at 1:41pm
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
DLC1325 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLC1325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Originally posted by DLC1325 DLC1325 wrote:

Based on the above info. I would conclude that the Serio is closer to Septear because of the thickness (6.5 vs. 6.7 mm) and also the fact that Serio uses 7 plies of hinoki whereas the Alba is a 7-ply blade but also uses some other wood.

Ahh yes. I missed that part.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2018 at 5:12am
Fixed the image.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic