Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

DHS 40+ Ball Pix and Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 7:11am
Quick summary:
1) noticeably heavier. Good feeling
2) noticeably less spin. The ball does not dip at the tailing part of a heavy loop. This is a bummer because I can generate heavy top spin. I guess I will work on it or may even try it with the 40+ rubber on the forehand. Serves were affected, found Ma Lin's ghost serve spins back less viciously. Something else to work on.
3) longer rally as when the ball bounces off the table, the initial spin is noticeably reduced.
4) durability is a concern. See my previous post.
5) bright white and good colour retention. I found the white to be brighter and it didn't loose its brightness unlike the celluloid white which did even after 1 hour use.
6) the speed was alright

The ball and packaging look like that shown in the first post.

Would I buy the balls again? A big yes, but fingers crossed that it is durable... Time will tell.

And, I would also like to try the 1 and 2 stars poly balls.

Edited by hithithit - 07/08/2014 at 7:28am
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 7:50am
I played my first two matches with the ball against a hitter who usually can't get a match off me because  my spin and deception always gets him.  He won both matches 11-9 in the 5th.  I missed quite a few shots because the ball didn't dip as expected.  While I didn't play him in the fashion that brings my best results, I do realize that I will have to make some adjustments to how I play.  The ball doesn't break viciously with sidespin so anyone who overly relies on hook looping is going to feel some pain (the blocks can still be difficult so not all is lost, but you aren't going to make the person chase the ball as much).  Consistent loop drivers and hitters will get the most bang for their buck.  You really have to work hard to put this ball past people.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 1:14pm
SUPER ATHLETES WANTED !!!

Likewise DHS, XSF one-piece ball would tend to produce visually less arc curvature.
Our coach-in-chief told his boys to loop the ball MORE UPWARDS AND FORCEFULLY thus they could now got the ball sinking down as steep as usual. Ball curvature can be redressed by muscular power.

Have got pretty sure now -- PLastic Bigger Balls will need robust, sturdy athletes so as to play power, spinny rallies.
More swingy strokes needed certainly. Yes.

Again, the superior PERCEPTIBILITY is the ball's virtue to compliment very much...    
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 2:33pm
Quote:
Have got pretty sure now -- PLastic Bigger Balls will need robust, sturdy athletes so as to play power, spinny rallies.
More swingy strokes needed certainly. Yes.

Fewer girls and children willing to play a sport dominated by sturdy muscle types, less money spent on coaching and camps, less revenue for current clubs, bottom line more clubs fold.
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 2:56pm
are they so different that you will absolutely have to/must buy a whole/entire new set of training/multi balls?

or, is it close enough that you can still get away with the old balls for training, despite using the new balls for games/competition?

thanks

:)
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

are they so different that you will absolutely have to/must buy a whole/entire new set of training/multi balls?

or, is it close enough that you can still get away with the old balls for training, despite using the new balls for games/competition?

thanks

I think I can answer that. If you train with the old balls, playing with the new balls will be similar to changing rubber to a lower throw and harder rubber.  Really not something to recommend. Also, the strategy will be a lot different, because flipping over the table or power looping close to table with the new balls does not pay.
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 3:16pm
thanks

magnuseffect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magnuseffect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 5:20pm
Thanks zeio, couldn't find it last time I searched.

Interestingly the first guy I played just thought it was a bad ball :) Recommend mixing in a few plastics before telling to get unbiased reactions.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 8:35pm
  1. Plastic balls will be used at ITTF Sanctioned events from 1st July 2014
  2. As an exception celluloid balls will be used at the 2014 Youth Olympic Games and at four (4) ITTF Junior Circuit events taking place after 1st July 2014 but before the 2014 YOG

Here is the list of the four (4) ITTF Junior Circuit events exceptionally using celluloid balls in the period between 1st July and 15th August 2014:

• 2014 Korean Junior & Cadet Open, 23-27 July
  • 2014 Hong Kong Junior & Cadet Open, 6-10 August
  • 2014 Guatemala Junior & Cadet Open, 6-9 August
  • 2014 El Salvador Junior & Cadet Open, 12-15 August 

Here is the list of the ITTF event types where plastic balls will be used after 1st July 2014:

• World Table Tennis Championships
  • World Junior Table Tennis Championships
  • World Cups (Men’s, Women’s and World Team Cup)
  • World Tour events including the World Tour Grand Finals
  • Global Junior Circuit events including the GJC Finals – except 4 tournaments specified in 2014
  • World Cadet Challenge
  • ITTF-Continental Championships and ITTF-Continental Cups
  • Olympic Games including qualification tournaments
  • Youth Olympic Games including qualification tournaments – except 2014 YOG

All the other tournament organisers can use any ITTF approved balls, plastic or celluloid. 

See attached the list of ITTF Approved ba

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 2:10am
One fellow from Hong Kong reports breakage within 30 minutes of forehand counter-hits, and forehand loops. No edge shots. No hard hits. Moments before the ball cracked open, he heard some weird sound, and the next hit was the last straw. HK $20(~US $2.56) for 1 ball, and sold only by unit, not by pack.

It is also reported that some balls are not even in thickness. One side is translucent while the other side is opaque.

It looks like they all split open with a huge crack:

Edited by zeio - 07/09/2014 at 2:11am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 9:07am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

No hard hits. Moments before the ball cracked open, he heard some weird sound, and the next hit was the last straw.

@zeio,

Interesting! The described sound events match what happened in my incident.

I heard a strange sound with my shot and when my opponent hit the ball in return, there was this mini explosion sound, like the snapping of a plastic ruler. The next thing was, a massive crack on the ball. Though, as explained in my post, I did hit the net post a few shots earlier, and the ball seemed fine then.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 2:44pm
The ball hurts far more than the celluloid ball when it hits my fingers.
Cybershape Carbon
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Protective sport safety eye ware might be a good idea\ wonder if USATT will recommend there use for children when playing with the new ball....
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 3:39pm
Anyone know when orange poly balls will be out?  Just got a PaddlePalace catalog today that says "At this time only white balls are being produced and have ITTF approval.  Eventually the new plastic balls will be available in both white and orange." 

I practice in my garage which is painted white and has a bright white garage door.  I could repaint the walls, but not touching the door.  Orange balls show up great, white not so much. 

PP wants $25 for 12 Nittaku 3*s -- $300 to refill my robot.  I'll try to wait until poly balls are available in bulk training packs. 
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Anyone know when orange poly balls will be out?  Just got a PaddlePalace catalog today that says "At this time only white balls are being produced and have ITTF approval.  Eventually the new plastic balls will be available in both white and orange." 

I practice in my garage which is painted white and has a bright white garage door.  I could repaint the walls, but not touching the door.  Orange balls show up great, white not so much. 

PP wants $25 for 12 Nittaku 3*s -- $300 to refill my robot.  I'll try to wait until poly balls are available in bulk training packs. 

I remember leaving a comment on one of Joola's youtube videos where they introduced their poly ball. Asked about orange. They basically said at his time they have no plans on making them.

... Better get use to white.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Protective sport safety eye ware might be a good idea\ wonder if USATT will recommend there use for children when playing with the new ball....

I have been hit on the eye twice by the old ball and needed steroids for the trauma. I am concerned about what the new ball would do....

Edited by NextLevel - 07/09/2014 at 6:10pm
Cybershape Carbon
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 6:23pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 8:38pm
double fisf has just emerged on Eacheng layout.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 11:33pm
Just checked eacheng.net and china-friend (eBay), they don't have DHS 40+ (***) ITTF approved  plastic balls for sale at this time.

That's the place that I usually buy my TT supplies.  May be sometime down the road they will have the balls for sale.  But not now.
skip3119
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2014 at 4:52pm
STONY FEELING DOES SUCK

All the plastics, DHS, XSF, Stiga are known to produce stony hard feeling,
much harder than celluloid.
Looking now for one to give some mild softish feeling.

Hopefully, DF meets my requirement better than DHS.

http://eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=3931
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2014 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

STONY FEELING DOES SUCK

All the plastics, DHS, XSF, Stiga are known to produce stony hard feeling,
much harder than celluloid.
Looking now for one to give some mild softish feeling.

Hopefully, DF meets my requirement better than DHS.

http://eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=3931

wonder if ITTF did any health/injury studies using the new poly balls? My guess a good lawyer would like to know in case a junior lost an eye or suffered a head injury due to the ball.  
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2014 at 5:23pm
I have had a hit with them tonight... They are not that bad at all.

They are definitely slower but not THAT slower, just a little. In general, I think it will slow down the game just a bit but the fun will remain. Maybe it will put choppers in a better position. On the pro's level I expect 3-4 touches more in a rally. I tried chopping with long pips and found it to be easier to control and to keep the ball short. The downside is that there is not so much spin on chops either but still the attackers will not be able to finish off the defenders so quickly.

The balls flight path is somewhat different like in 30-40 % of the possible match situations, it will take some getting used to.

Overall I think it is good and I would not complain if we had to switch to the DHS ball from tomorrow. The only problem is the poor durability that does not justify such a high price.

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 07/22/2014 at 5:24pm
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2014 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

They are definitely slower but not THAT slower, just a little. In general, I think it will slow down the game just a bit but the fun will remain. Maybe it will put choppers in a better position. On the pro's level I expect 3-4 touches more in a rally. I tried chopping with long pips and found it to be easier to control and to keep the ball short. The downside is that there is not so much spin on chops either but still the attackers will not be able to finish off the defenders so quickly.

I think the effect is quite the opposite.  Choppers will be under much more pressure with the new ball, because attackers will make less errors due to reduced range of spin change possible for a chopper.  Also, the game will become faster for sure because the new ball will allow closer-to-the-table power counters with less error.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 5:11am
It´s a new age for short pips hitters, choppers because their game it´s just based on spin deception. Less spin means also less mistakes and more hitting that looping.  I consider DHS balls much more fragile than Xushaofa, that last much longer. 

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 6:40am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Just checked eacheng.net and china-friend (eBay), they don't have DHS 40+ (***) ITTF approved  plastic balls for sale at this time.

That's the place that I usually buy my TT supplies.  May be sometime down the road they will have the balls for sale.  But not now.

Eacheng has it now as well as DF and Palio 3 stars ittf approved ones but not cheap. Actually cost more than TT11 + shipping. Better price from taobao through buying agent. Could be had for $7 each box (6 balls) include shipping.

I found it is easier to generate spin for seamed balls (DHS, DF) than seamless (Palio, XSF). DF is the cheapest but got roundness issue. I got all 4 from taobao.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

I think the effect is quite the opposite.  Choppers will be under much more pressure with the new ball, because attackers will make less errors due to reduced range of spin change possible for a chopper.  Also, the game will become faster for sure because the new ball will allow closer-to-the-table power counters with less error.

It's not so clear to me. The ball is slower, so trying to play a fast game with quick-hitting near the table might not lead to any advantage. My own experience was this ball is that the reduction in speed is greater than the reduction in spin.

My feeling is that the styles that will be hurt most by this ball are those that seek a quick finish to the rally. If you're looking to put the ball away with the third ball attack, you might find that more challenging.

The guy who said we all need to be more fit might have has said it best.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 11:32pm
I agree.  I played with the ball some more and I think I played best when I set up to take the ball late and spin it.  Taking the ball early was largely a disadvantage because it was hard to get a full stroke and the spin didn't have enough time to make the ball flight path bother the opponent. I was tired after playing with the ball - it makes you work.

Edited by NextLevel - 07/23/2014 at 11:32pm
Cybershape Carbon
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 1:48am
Precisely because the ball is slower, pros will play closer to the table to compensate for reduction in speed.  Taking the ball earlier will also allow greater angles to mess up opponent's positioning and footwork.  He Zhi Wen's mastery in this strategy will be even more valuable with the new ball.  Those who play at mid-to-long distances will exhaust themselves trying to cover the entire court against quick attackers, as they can no longer load up the ball with enough spin to handcuff their attacking opponent.  Furthermore, if the made-in-Japan firmer Nittaku premium poly balls are chosen to set the standards for all world-class poly balls, they will also permit easier and more precise drop-shotting to bring defenders in.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 2:17am
So we have two opposite view of playing the new ball now. Take the ball early or late? We may need a poll.

Edited by TurboZ - 07/24/2014 at 2:18am
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 4:22am
You have to take it later than usual because there is less spin to use . But close to the table hitters will be less affected so they can do a little bit better
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic