FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

My review of XUSHAOFA Poly-balls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My review of XUSHAOFA Poly-balls
    Posted: 07/01/2014 at 6:24pm
Well, i could try today a couple of hours the new seamless PB by Xu-shaofa. Here´s my initial assesment.

To be honest i didn´t think switching to the new ball would be as dramatic, but it´s harder than i initially have thought.  First of all the ball feels BIGGER, quite bigger, and the physics changes again in the same way 38mm ball went to 40mm.  Game becomes easier to read, linear, plain, harder but definitely more simple with noticeable losts of spin in most areas.  

Choppers will be doomed again, there´s no deception, no any sharp poisonous chops off the table, everything is quite predictable and backspin not as harmfull as before, everything is lead to drive-drive-spin and hit hit-hit.  So old classical choppers or anti-players, its time to change....or retire Confused. I think this new PB will make TT more physical with even faster gears... so forget about chinese rubbers/medium pips or Anti rubbers.

At the beggining it feels weird, it´s hard to get used to that sound. Once you are getting use, you´ll realize that everything becomes easier because of the mild spin.  Serves are not as effective as before as well as receives are easier. Mid-power loops or brushing loops aren´t as effective as before, any spinny high ball can be easily killed, so old players will need to change our mind, since everything is "kill-able" right now. 

I´m a bit sceptical about the opinion of ITTF about slowing down the game by this changes. I think this will lead just to the opposite and will definitely extinct the few differents varieties of styles of games that still existed.

That´s all folks

Edited by jonyer1980 - 07/01/2014 at 7:00pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Sponsored Links

jabemu View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabemu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2014 at 6:54pm
Excellent review, thanks!!

It is about the Xushaofa 1* or 3* version?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2014 at 6:56pm
3***. If these new competition balls feel unstable and different, I really don't want to guess how badly will play training versions.

This time I'll better stick with competition balls since there's no any sense training with balls switching to another different ball the day of competition. i mo it's the only thing of TT gears which isn't really worthy to save money.

Edited by jonyer1980 - 07/01/2014 at 7:08pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2014 at 7:01pm
Maybe the seamed ball will be more suitable for preserving those few remaining styles. As was pointed out in another topic, this seamless ball seems to be a sidetrack and might become used by few players / clubs.

I will surely avoid it.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2014 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

Maybe the seamed ball will be more suitable for preserving those few remaining styles. As was pointed out in another topic, this seamless ball seems to be a sidetrack and might become used by few players / clubs.

I will surely avoid it.

@Jonya1980 - Did you find this ball had a higher throw..?

Also, on the XUSHAOFA box it states that the seamless ball (white) produces a more consistent flight and bounce...

Edited by CraneStyle - 07/02/2014 at 10:11am
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2014 at 10:53pm
DIVERSITY OF THE BALLS. Squash, Tennis, Badminton, and table tennis ultimately.

What is done is done. You have no power to stop the plastic from using in play. Plastic always was an alternate option for play, as allowed by the Rules 2,3.3.
You can not deny the opponent to using plastic, once he opts for the plastic..

You have to agree on the plastic, or you should decide on the ball material for a match by drawing a lot.

Some diversity of ball types is healthy for the sport. Yes.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 2:00am
It appears that the approved balls will have about 4 distinctive playing characteristics depending on the 4 or so ball making factories (according to forum rumours).
I am sure I saw that the ITTF has contracted with DHS to supply the TT equipment for all their tournaments for the next couple of years.
So, given that info, I think that the DHS version of the plastic balls will be the standard.
What a coup for DHS!

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 2:32am
These are the ones i´ve tried.  I didn´t know there were seamless/seamed approved versions of the same brand. On the other hand, this new PB feels quite harder than cell, this seamless ball felt really compact so maybe it´s more durable.

http://www.vsport.es/es/2087-pelota-de-plastico-xushaofa-3-pack-72.html

Edited by jonyer1980 - 07/02/2014 at 2:37am
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

tt-panopticum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt-panopticum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 3:04am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

These are the ones i´ve tried.  I didn´t know there were seamless/seamed approved versions of the same brand. On the other hand, this new PB feels quite harder than cell, this seamless ball felt really compact so maybe it´s more durable.

That's interesting, the picture at least doesn't show the correct ITTF approved XuShaoFa Ball....???

The Ball stamp should look like this:

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 8:38am

I´m a bit sceptical about the opinion of ITTF about slowing down the game by this changes. I think this will lead just to the opposite and will definitely extinct the few differents varieties of styles of games that still existed.

People should realize by now that you can only slow down the game if people don't have the energy reserves to hit harder.  In other words, slowing down the game favors physically stronger players.

Edited by NextLevel - 07/02/2014 at 8:38am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 9:54am
Do we have an end date of the celluloid ball ? 
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2014 at 5:56pm
Well, I feel now i can make a more fair and deeper review&comparison of this ball

Final conclusions:

XSF seamless are really durable, way better than dhs or any other 2pcs poly ball, and much cheaper.

Bounce is definitely higher than any other seamed poly ball.

Behaviour is quite weird. Sometimes the ball travels in a strange way. DHS are much more lineal and predictable.

Speed: the speed is noticeable faster than old celuloid as well as any other 2pcs poly balls. It's not necessarily better or worse, but I feel these XSF travel faster than DHS plastics balls.

Spin: it's a bit above their seamed competitors, it feels hard as a brick, even harder than 2pcs. Maybe there's the secret of their durability.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2014 at 6:12pm
"Behaviour is quite weird. Sometimes the ball travels in a strange way"

Did that bother you?
When I played with the DHS ball the incoming long pushes seemed to float longer that expected and appeared to wobble a bit. Is that the same behaviour that you noticed with the XSF?
It didn't really bother me.
Blade:
Darker Speed90

Delusion is an asset
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2014 at 8:38pm

Well, I feel now i can make a more fair and deeper review&comparison of this ball

Final conclusions:

XSF seamless are really durable, way better than dhs or any other 2pcs poly ball, and much cheaper.

Bounce is definitely higher than any other seamed poly ball.

Behaviour is quite weird. Sometimes the ball travels in a strange way. DHS are much more lineal and predictable.

Speed: the speed is noticeable faster than old celuloid as well as any other 2pcs poly balls. It's not necessarily better or worse, but I feel these XSF travel faster than DHS plastics balls.

Spin: it's a bit above their seamed competitors, it feels hard as a brick, even harder than 2pcs. Maybe there's the secret of their durability.

sounds like a good candidate for my robot.  I currently use one star balls now for the robot and have a separate 3 star bucket of balls  for serve practice, the robot manufacture recommends  one type of ball for the robot so this will be easy. I  found several sites in China selling 1 and 2 star 40+  balls so it should not be hard  to pick up 200.  Whatever USATT decides as the tournament ball I will buy those for service Practice.  
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2014 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by tt-panopticum tt-panopticum wrote:

These are the ones i´ve tried.  I didn´t know there were seamless/seamed approved versions of the same brand. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">On the other hand, this new PB feels quite harder than cell, this seamless ball felt really compact so maybe it´s more durable.</span>

That's interesting, the picture at least doesn't show the correct ITTF approved XuShaoFa Ball....???

The big ???? - is the ITTF approved ball the same size as their 1st ball produced

1st 3 star Xushaofa ball on market

If so, then the ball is bigger than the other Plastic Balls and it plays significantly slower, spinless than a Gambler 40C 3 star ball. I tested it last Wednesday night.

Picture of size compared to other plastic balls:

SIZE COMPARISON

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 08/01/2014 at 12:03am
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2014 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

"Behaviour is quite weird. Sometimes the ball travels in a strange way"

Did that bother you?
When I played with the DHS ball the incoming long pushes seemed to float longer that expected and appeared to wobble a bit. Is that the same behaviour that you noticed with the XSF?
It didn't really bother me.

That's it exactly what I noticed
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2014 at 8:15am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Originally posted by tt-panopticum tt-panopticum wrote:

These are the ones i´ve tried.  I didn´t know there were seamless/seamed approved versions of the same brand. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">On the other hand, this new PB feels quite harder than cell, this seamless ball felt really compact so maybe it´s more durable.</span>

The big ???? - is the ITTF approved ball the same size as their 1st ball produced

1st 3 star Xushaofa ball on market

If so, then the ball is bigger than the other Plastic Balls and it plays significantly slower, spinless than a Gambler 40C 3 star ball. I tested it last Wednesday night.

Picture of size compared to other plastic balls:

SIZE COMPARISON

Mine is the final version, just like this stamps shows
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2014 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

Do we have an end date of the celluloid ball ? 

Yes. I read some info updated for Umpires - 31st December 2015.

From 01.01.2016 - only Poly Balls will be allowed in ITTF Competitions.

During this time the local federations has choice to use old or new balls.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2014 at 12:20pm
As far as I know, the Celluloid ball will remain legal for any event organiser or league to stipulate for their events. To change that fact will need a proposal, then a vote at the AGM.
To date, I have seen no such proposal.

Stop mixing up the fact that the ITTF will use only use Poly balls at their events with the overall banning of the C-ball.
Blade:
Darker Speed90

Delusion is an asset
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2014 at 1:38pm
Plastic does favour elders, as being slower and less spinny.

Thank you, Mr. Sharara.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2014 at 2:17pm
Igor, I thought people who liked celluloid balls were being mollycodled and were not manly men????   Now you like it because it favors elders.  I guess it's like Schroedinger's cat.

I played at a different club last night with some pretty good players (2100+), and several of them actually prefer the XSF ball to the Joola/DHS etc. seamed balls.  This was mainly because the seamless balls bounce higher without any question.  Experience of people there is that that XSF ball is reasonably durable.  I hate the sound, and really find them very very very slow and not spinny but I have to say that I also like the higher bounce.  On those tables the Joola balls I bought were really hard to use, and I have played with them quite a bit over the last week.  I really think the only way I will get used to them is to use them exclusively, and I am not going to do that for awhile.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2014 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Plastic does favour elders, as being slower and less spinny.

Thank you, Mr. Sharara.

If TT  still  has status as a high end sport after this ball change those players over 30 will be  replaced quickly by younger players with quicker  reflexes, faster foot speed,  outstanding eye hand coordination, quicker physical recovery. In local play older players that depend on blocking will be providing easy set ups for players close to the table and the  looper will experience a steady stream of return counter hit balls rather then easy set up blocked shots, unless of course he is playing youWink
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2014 at 5:25pm
We got hold of some premium quality ITTF approved XSF balls from a very reliable source.

To my surprise, I liked it very much. It was 1000% better than the non-approved ones from TTNPP. Counterlooping was fun and the differences were less acute. It was a lot better than the DHS two halved ball.

Maybe it was a good quality one, I will be playing more with it over the newt few days and will post my impressions after playing a couple of hours with it.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2014 at 4:08pm
XU SHAOFA vs. XU SHAOFA SPORTS.

The very late product is softened a little so as to give a better feeling and control.
Check out the 4 digit production date code imprinted on the box.

https://m.facebook.com/PingPongDepot/photos/a.347070002028230.76656.314975485237682/701537649914795/?type=1&refid=17

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic