Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nittaku Rutis Power review with Tabletennis11.com
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nittaku Rutis Power review with Tabletennis11.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nittaku Rutis Power review with Tabletennis11.com
    Posted: 07/02/2014 at 4:54pm
I recently received the Rutis Power for review courtesy of tabletennis11.com:

Size: 158 x 151mm
Weight: 77gms
Thickness: 5.9mm (my measurements)
Composition: Walnut / AD-Carbon / Kiri / AD-Carbon / Walnut

This blade is very similar in construction to the Rutis with the exception that the G-Carbon layer is replaced with AD-Carbon. This gives the blade more power and stiffness. It’s build quality is excellent and the walnut outer gives it a great look!

Bounce Test: This is clearly an OFF+ blade. It is a shade faster than my prior (& now, fatt’s) Mizutani Jun blade & much faster than the other Nittaku blades I tested recently (Ludeack Fleet, Acoustic Carbon and Meister Holz Sieben). This speed was surprising as the piece I tested was very light. The sound had a combination of the great walnut sound (that I’m familiar with due to a prior blade I owned – Qabod) and the ping of carbon.

Regarding the composite material, I couldn’t find any English version of the description by Nittaku (come on Nittaku – it does not take much to make a English version of your website! Do this if you’re marketing $150 - $250 blades!). However, I believe that this version of carbon is different than the material Nittaku uses in the Acoustic Carbon (which is softer and less bouncy).

I slapped Bluefire JP-01 max and Tenergy 05 max on the blade. The combo was hard, stiff, fast and bouncy. It did feel head heavy to me (perhaps because of it’s light weight). After a few hours with it, I slapped on Tenergy 05 FX on both sides and all of a sudden, everything felt much better. This blade goes very well with softer rubbers that can offer the increased dwell that this blade needs. I feel that this is for the ultra-aggressive player who excels from mid-distance and has a competent short game. I would use higher throw but tighter arc rubbers that are not too fast with this blade. I would also recommend this blade more to hitters / smashers than loopers.

Sponsored Links

hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2014 at 6:52pm
@slevin

Nice review! I had to laugh when you mentioned you put Bluefire JP01 on it. I previously tried Nittaku Fast Arc G1 on the forehand and that was insane, hard as rock, super fast, but ok for the backhand. After changing it to DHS Skyline 2 Neo, it felt more balanced for the forehand.

I didn't find it head heavy. I agree it is very stiff and fast. When compared to Rutis, which I also owned, I enjoyed the Rutis more only because I found I was able to produce more finesse shots with it, for example with the Rutis Power it was harder to do close-to-the net backhand flick shots, and side spin around the post shots. I guess it is like a light tank vs a heavy tank, for an imagery comparison. I too found the Rutis Power harder to loop with a fast and stiff tensor rubber, but once changed to the tacky Skyline 2 Neo, it was a different story, I could do fast loops; but I agree, it is a blade best for driving and aggressive shots. Producing a flat and fast corner shot with power was quite easy. Still a great blade, none the less, but not my style so I gave it to a friend with the DHS rubber as the forehand and Nittaku Fast Arc C1 as the backhand - an absolute gem!

To be fair, Nittaku does recommend pairing the Rutis Power with their version of Hurricane 2 Neo, presumably for the forehand, and the Nittaku Fast Arc G1, presumably for the backhand - it is on their blade and rubbers pairing recommendation chart. As for the AD Carbon, it is faster than the FE Carbon, which is used in the Acoustic Carbon. Nittaku have a listing of the composite materials used in their range of blade products, but the latest materials like the AD and FE Carbons are not yet available in English. They also have a chart, albeit in Japanese, plotting the stiffness and speed of all their blades. The Rutis Power is about as stiff as the Acoustic Carbon, but much faster and it seems to be comparable to their KCZ blade. The Ludeack Fleet is the least stiffest and speediest of the ones I have so far mentioned - Rutis, Rutis Power, Acoustic Carbon and KCZ.

Also to be fair, I think the Rutis Power and Acoustic Carbon were designed with the new plastic ball in mind. The same goes for the Kasumi Special blade (basically the Acoustic Carbon but with different layer arrangements). Having said this, unless there was miscommunication a good source has told me that Nittaku will soon release new blades for the new plastic ball.

I can't wait to see the reviews on the other Nittaku blades - Ludeack Fleet and Acoustic Carbon. I hope they will report the same findings as what I have experienced. FYI, I gave the Ludeack Fleet to another friend, that blade was also a gem! I have kept the Acoustic Carbon though.

PS. I purchased mine elsewhere, though every now and then I do make purchases from TT11, they are reliable :)

Edited by hithithit - 07/02/2014 at 7:05pm
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 7:25pm
Hi slevin I'm interest this blade cause now I'm find hard rock&stiff power full blade but I'm not sure this blade is off+ or powerfull enough cause its thin blade 5.5-5.8mm. can u compare it as fast as gergely21 gergely primorac carbon or something like that?and confirm this blade in off+ category?
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 8:41pm
This blade is clearly OFF+. Haven't played with the blades you've mentioned but it is a shade slower than that Sardius.
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2014 at 12:43pm
ALmost forget a question, how about ability to generate spin on serve or play. Low spin nalmal or good spin     
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2014 at 12:49pm
Like a lot of fast, low dwell blades, it is low throw and might require a bit of looping upwards on opening loop. Once point is opened though and you're a step back though, it's great for teeing away.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2014 at 2:53pm
I like hard and stiff blades. TB ZLC is borderline too-hard-too-stiff, but it has some flex that helps. Rutis Power crossed the line for me. Too hard to loop. You are gona need a really dwelly rubber like Tenergy or some soft version of the other ones. 
However for blocking, smacking, flicking (the real flick, not the ZJK BH), everything with flat hitting.. this blade is laser accurate and really fast. Low weight helps with recovery time and I made some amazing blocks.. the kind where its not your skill but some desperate intuitive reach but it still somehow goes back on the table.
Craftsmanship is impeccable, as in all Nittaku blades. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 5:40am
I used to for hard blade like yasaka spelancer,xiom v1 Quad (walnut with 4 thin carbon),xiom hayabusa zxi,gergely,schlager. I wonder rutis power harder or less   my previous blade ,and if combined with soft rubber will it be easy to control loop?
Who ever used this blade and satisfy pls tell about your rubber or share experiences?
Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 3:09am

Hello TTBlade Enthusiasts and EJs,

I had a chance to test out the Rutis Power blade this evening. I'd like to tell you a little bit about my perspective and how I formulated my opinions about the performance of the Rutis power. Firstly I have played club table tennis for over 25 years and I play a classic offensive style mostly topspin shots from the FH and BH with flat kills mixed in on both sides for loose balls. i have played with tons of rubbers and blades over the years.  I became a custom blade maker for a few years ( I was inspired by Charlie of BBC back in the late 80"s) and made all wood and composite blades and sold them at the local clubs. For many years I played with light (79-87 gr.)stiff blades of medium hardness  and for the past 3-5 years have developed a preference for thin hard outer ply blades with medium stiff feel.  

I have to agree with the over all impressions given by slevin and hithit- Its hard fast and quite stiff (but not sardius stiff). It plays counters block and smashes most predictably and easily.  I used my regular rubbers Xiom Sigma II Pro Fh and Palio Blitz backhand. The rubbers felt good on the blade and the hard sponge added to the precise feel of the Rutis Power. It did not feel head heavy to me and my rubbers are not light.

Looping was a mixed bag. It does have a slight vibration too it that I really liked. It seemed to give a very slight catapult effect on forehand and back hand loop shots with a relaxed wrist and high racket speed. due to its lightness and hardness the blade works well to activate rubbers and get the sponge engaged quickly.  for loop motions with a brushing contact where you use the tangetal force with the rubber the RP has a nice feeling and you can "hold" the ball a bit before it releases. To lift any kind of heavy chop a strong vertical brushing would be required. Any type of more direct contact with the blade for topspin shots result in a quick release that makes the degree of spin and depth of the shot hard to control. so you can loop with this blade but you need very precise timing and the ability work your rubber with a brushing contact.

Serving and table game: In this area the blade is hard to control. For serving like for looping you can achieve decent spin, but a lot of precise brushing contact is required. For pushing  it is hard to keep the ball low and generate your own spin as I said above the blade really actives the rubbers.  Topspin flicks with  loose wrist using top sheet and sponge feel good and work well but you have to be very precise with your timing and stroke motion.

Hitting flat: yep, if you like high risk quick of the bounce smashing with a very forward almost horizontal stroke the Rutis Power is an interesting blade.  I tried hitting a few low medium depth returns, some of them with a bit of chop on them, and shazzam bullet speed and like I said for looping a very very slight catapult and vibration effect making the shot a pleasure to hit.

Final thoughts: I wish Nittaku would have used glass fiber instead of carbon on this blade, or would have used a horizontal center ply. I think that would have made the blade more versatile. The thin walnut top with a carbon ply followed by a fairly thick vertical ply of (I am guessing ayous) creates a very precise feeling blade, but for the modern topspin game it makes for a very narrow looping window. I think this blade would be great for Sardius users who are looking for a thinner and lighter blade that would  add a very slight flex to power shots and give a nice subtle vibration on contact. If you would like to play like  Johnny Huang Shakehand Pips hitter of Canada, but with inverted this might be the blade for you.

I am ready to send this off to the next tester, so please pm me with your mailing info.

Thank you to TableTennis11 and Slevin for organizing the testing.

Blade

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 1:56am
Great review!
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 5:44pm
Great review, completely clear
tabletennisx32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennisx32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 10:31pm
Is this for the new poly ball?
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by tabletennisx32 tabletennisx32 wrote:

I hope that that's just sarcasm
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Originally posted by tabletennisx32 tabletennisx32 wrote:

I hope that that's just sarcasm

Haha, not sure if it is a sarcasm, but I have noticed a trend in new blades and near releases being stiffer. I can see the logic behind it - more power and arguably more spin if timed right.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2014 at 12:00am
Thanks for the great reviews slevin and Blade! Clap

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2014 at 9:25am

So, I've put in 2 training sessions with the Rutis Power.  It's easily the most bonkers blade I've ever used.  If there was ever a blade to demonstrate the wide range of characteristics found amongst offensive blades available today, this is it.  This is the blade at the end of the scale.  The outlier.  The quiet guy in the corner at the party who, after 3 hours of just playing it cool, rips off his tear-away trousers and reveals his sparkle-y underpants before giving your grandmother a lapdance.

Initial Thoughts 

First impressions are great - the quality is high, especially the outer ply.  The ST handle is quite thick, which is a relief.  This isn't one of the munchkin Nittaku handles you can find on the Acoustic, Violin or Redshank.  The bounce test is revealing, and gives the game away from the outset - it's a very high-pitched ping.  Any higher and it would only be audible to dogs.  The sweet spot is fairly big, but there is a drop-off in pitch at the outer edges.  The head size is quite tall...

For the first session, I used my regular setup of JP03/OmegaVPro.  The second session I went with 5QSound/H3.

General Play Notes

Hard, fast, almost stiff.  The head size, combined with the overall light weight, made it feel head-heavy (compared to my usual setups).  Low throw.

Flat Game

Yes, yes, yes!  The Rutis Power is a monster blocker and hitter.  Anything above net height is doomed - it's lightning fast and rail gun accurate.  There is a lot of power available, and you can just hit through all but the heaviest spin.  The ball stays quite low when passive blocking, resulting in some awkward skiddy returns for the opponent.  Punches and active blocking is very, very sharp and fast.  Skills are required - it's very easy to send the ball long.

Looping

Nope.  Well, I exaggerate - it's not all bad.  The good news is that this isn't a totally stiff, close-up smack machine.  It does give some slight flex assistance from distance (maybe the reason for the large head length?).  But it's very demanding here.  Bat angle is very important - more so than most blades.  My regular stroke was resulting in a lot of net balls.  More upward motion was needed, which became tiring for me after a while.  On middle-effort loops, it was tricky to get the level of spin needed to create a good arc.  On full-effort loops things improved, but it takes a lot of energy to keep that kind of play up.  Easier to stay in at the table and hit everything.

Serving / Receiving

It's OK for some serves.  If you vary long topspin/flat serves, you'd love this.  The ball keeps low, and it can be so fast it becomes difficult to read.  The main issue is keeping the ball short on more touchy serves.  You need very precise technique to avoid the blade causing too much bounce on sharp wrist movements.  You can still get great spin, but keeping the ball short AND low is a challenge.

Receiving is a real blast.  Any bouncy serve can be put away with hardly any effort.  You can put real pressure on the server.  Yes, pushing short is a tricky prospect, but that is NOT why you would use this blade.

Other Thoughts

When using this blade, I ended up playing more like I did when I used short pips on the BH side.  Waiting for the mid-high ball to attack, staying in close, mixing up punches and spinnier shots.  I found it tough to adopt a two-wing looping style.

Rubber selection is incredibly important.  I found that H3 worked really well on the FH side, simply because it helped in some of the areas the Rutis Power became hard to handle (serving mainly).  Also, a brushier loop style was easier to use, and H3 supported that well.  I was going to try Calibra, but the government sent a squad around to stop me from gluing it on.  Something about the laws of physics breaking down and miniature black holes being generated around the Rutis Power/Calibra event horizon.  Good to know they're out there watching for this kind of thing.  Could have been a slightly hard to handle combination anyway.

So there you go - the Rutis Power is for a very specific style of play.  And within the confines of that style bubble, it might be the best at what it does.  A light, ball-battering cannon.  Great for hitters/blockers who take the ball early and pile the pressure on.

Many thanks to TT11 for the testing scheme!  Long may it continue!

This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2014 at 11:13am
Hi,how do u think if I put some h3, skyline blue national which is38degree(more catapult,less hardness,not too tacky)on fh, and some tg or soft rubber on bh? I'm kind of loop power spin(mostly brush loop)+smach who prefer stiff &hard bblade because it's precise+accurate.will it be suit for me or not pls help my doubtfulness
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2014 at 3:38pm
It does play very well with tacky rubbers. Any variant of H3 on the FH side would work really well. The BH side is your call. I did wonder how a softer H3-50 might do on the BH side. Tg3 is another possibility. Maybe a Moon Pro? Tacky on the BH wing is a personal choice usually, but if any blade could make it work well, it's this one.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
jomtack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomtack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 1:04am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

It does play very well with tacky rubbers. Any variant of H3 o!n the FH side would work really well. The BH side is your call. I did wonder how a softer H3-50 might do on the BH side. Tg3 is another possibility. Maybe a Moon Pro? Tacky on the BH wing is a personal choice usually, but if any blade could make it work well, it's this one.

Thank a lot Andy I plan some tg05,64,evolution fx for bh,ahh last question how do u think about generate spin on fh serve,it can get a lot, average or not so much spin on serve if it's not good how can I do or I would choose tacky+quite soft Chinese rubber for fh ?
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2017 at 8:01pm
I got totally different impression from Rutis Power. first, nobody mentioned but it has different handle then regular Rutis. on Rutis Power handle a bit longer and thicker. more comfortable if you have big hands.
it for sure not OFF+

Edited by piligrim - 10/31/2017 at 10:02pm
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 1:26am

This blade is clearly OFF+. Haven't played with the blades you've mentioned but it is a shade slower than that Sardius.

hi slevin .how is the feel when you flat hit? hollow like hinoki like primorac carbon or solid like rosewood7?
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 7:00am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

hi slevin .how is the feel when you flat hit? hollow like hinoki like primorac carbon or solid like rosewood7?

define hollow? I am a flat hitter who uses PC and Gergely as my main blades, they feel kinda solid to me. As solid as it gets
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

define hollow? I am a flat hitter who uses PC and Gergely as my main blades, they feel kinda solid to me. As solid as it gets

the feel of balsa blade or like a garaydia hinoki blade when hitting
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2017 at 7:26pm
Feeling is solid while smashing. Blocking is wall steady. Very accurate. Topspining isn't bad either, but it is more demanding
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic