Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Acoustic Carbon Review courtesy of Tabletennis11
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Acoustic Carbon Review courtesy of Tabletennis11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acoustic Carbon Review courtesy of Tabletennis11
    Posted: 07/03/2014 at 12:52pm
Tabletennis11 sent to me the Nittaku Acoustic Carbon (NAC) blade for review.

I have tested it side-by-side with the following blades
Nittaku Ludeack Fleet
Nittaku Violin (L)
Nittaku Rutis Power
Nittaku Meister Holz Sieben
Mizutani Jun
ZJK-ALC

Appearance: Great Nittaku quality, as expected.

Dimensions: 157x150mm
Weight: 89.1gms
Blade thickness: 5.54mm
Composition: Assuming that the other layers are the same as the Acoustic (which it seems): 
Limba - FE Carbon - Limba - Tung tree - Limba - FE Carbon - Limba

The FE carbon is softer & less bouncy compared the the AD carbon used in the Rutis Power.

Bounce test: It has a soft feel on low / medium bounce with clear dwell. However, on higher bounce, one can notice that
the NAC is a full class faster than the LF
the LF has more dwell and is overall, softer
the NAC has a softer, dwellier feel and is slightly slower than the MJ

There, I just compared 3 composite blades with Limba outers (hope it helps).

I put on T05 on each side first and then later tested the blade with JP01 and 5Q VIP.

Overall viewpoint: an amazing blade! Much better for me than the Rutis Power. For those who have played with the popular MJ: unless you have a very high rating, this, most probably, is a better option! The reason for my MJ comparison is that the feedback type is very similar: very precise (so, would appeal to the same type of user). On certain low to medium power strokes, MJ has low dwell. This forces the player to keep blade angle closed, thus increasing risk of error. This blade is more forgiving in that regard & has a higher throw as well. The feel (due to the hide glue?) is great. Spin potential is excellent (this blade spins better on low to medium power strokes than the MJ, IMHO) due to the limba outer. The limba really bites the ball well. So much so, that with the JP01, I felt that the blade was a bit too spinny (in hindsight, I'd choose a rubber with slightly less dwell)! It feels great for looping.

So, in short, this blade would suit those who love MJ & want a similar great feedback (unlike the ALC blades) but slightly more forgiving. It would also suit those who like the Acoustic but want to add power using a composite layer while keeping the feel basically the same.

What I did not like about the blade: the handle is a wee bit small and the blade does feel a bit head heavy (which might appeal to certain loopers). If these are issues to the user, they can certainly be fixed by using grip tape. Combo weight with JP01 and Rasant Grip: 191gms

Edited by slevin - 08/14/2014 at 6:40pm
Sponsored Links

LethalForehand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LethalForehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 2:54pm
how about flexibility? can you compare its flexibility to a 7ply (ludeack/clipper) and a standard 5-ply all wood blade? thanks.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 3:12pm
Nice review slevin!

Just FYI, there is a larger handle version. This came out in April, about 3 months after the original Acoustic Carbon release.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by LethalForehand LethalForehand wrote:

how about flexibility? can you compare its flexibility to a 7ply (ludeack/clipper) and a standard 5-ply all wood blade? thanks.

I own an Acoustic Carbon. There's not much flexibility. It is basically, one of the stiffest Nittaku blades. It has a hard feeling, a crisp sound when it strikes the ball. There is not much dwell time when compared to Ludeack Fleet, Darker Legato 5A, Darker Sakura Serio, Mizuno Swifter, Nittaku Septear. Sorry, I haven't got a Ludeack nor a Clipper.

The blade is ideal for drives and blocking. I must say I prefer all wood blades for looping because of that wood feel. You don't exactly get that feel with the Acoustic Carbon, possibly due to the FE carbon being so close to the outmost plies. But it is not to say it is not a good blade - it is, but somehow my current fetish is all wood... I am sure you know the feeling :)

If there's a number to be given, I would give it 90/100 for the blade itself, not compared to what's out there. I would say, if you are a lover of hard feeling and powerful carbon blade, then this is something worth considering.

Note, there is a larger handle version of Acoustic Carbon. As well, there is Kasumi Special, which is like Acoustic Carbon but not as powerful due to the FE Carbon being placed further down the plies or layers.

Perhaps slevin and or others could add more?

Edited by hithithit - 07/03/2014 at 3:42pm
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 3:42pm

Good point: less flexible than Acoustic & other 5-plies.

Vs Ludeack: perhaps about the same (Ludeack is 7-ply (=> less flex) but it is also bigger in circumference (=> more flex!). It is slightly more flexible than a TB-ALC.

All the blades I reviewed here (except for the very stiff Rutis Power) have similar level of flex.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Good point: less flexible than Acoustic & other 5-plies.

Vs Ludeack: perhaps about the same (Ludeack is 7-ply (=> less flex) but it is also bigger in circumference (=> more flex!). It is slightly more flexible than a TB-ALC.

All the blades I reviewed here (except for the very stiff Rutis Power) have similar level of flex.

+1 re: Rutis Power. That blade is the stiffest and baddest (in a good way) blade I have played with.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 3:50pm
@slevin, personally, do you prefer MJ or AC?
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by hithithit hithithit wrote:

@slevin, personally, do you prefer MJ or AC?

We'll, I'm used to the MJ and it's speed. But if I did not have any blade, I'd pick the AC over MJ.

Moot point: a baddie basically stole my MJ away from me & I am blade-less for now (gave away my JRE / T05 to a young, enthusiastic boy who comes to my club but does not really have any money to spend on non-essential things in life like blades & rubbers).
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 5:05pm
Great that you gave your equipment to someone financially lesser off. Bummer about the MJ.

Just FYI, in case you are not aware, Butterfly have released a new model of MJ... Sorry I can't remember its name.
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 9:34pm

Great that you gave your equipment to someone financially lesser off. Bummer about the MJ.

Just FYI, in case you are not aware, Butterfly have released a new model of MJ... Sorry I can't remember its name.

MJ  SZLC
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 10:44pm
Sorry: to clarify about my MJ (as some May have guessed by the next to my statement above), I meant to say that someone got a great deal on it in a trade (he deserves if as he is a MJ fan).
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2014 at 10:26pm
How is the speed compared to Butterfly Schlager Carbon ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2014 at 2:43pm
My own review after about 10 hours with the blade (NAC)
Quality is good compared to other blades but in the Nittaku domain is at or below average. Seen prettier Nittaku blades. I have enormous paws, 25cm finger span, and the FL handle is on the slim side, but yet I found it very comfortable. It disappeared in my hand and I didnt think about it again. 
I play with TBS and I will use it as comparison. Most people have touched a TBS so its a good baseline.
Speed - slow. This is a slow blade regardless of the rubber. It is noticeably slower than TBS, which is not fast to begin with. You can step away from the table but you will have to rely on Spin + Control. You are not gona overpower nobody with this blade. 
Control - Excellent. Although most slow blades create fake illusion of control. Fake or not, this blade is really easy to play with, really easy to land your med power loop on the table. The blade is really stiff. Forget about Limba feel. There is absolutely zero vibration, and about zero flex. (the reason for the good control)
Dwell time (Spin) - medium. Limba blades are excellent in this department, and that's the main reason so many are willing to sacrifice control just to get that pleasant 'deep impact' feel. But this did not feel particularly dwelly to me, and I think the reason is that they put the carbon behind the first layer of limba, instead of behind second. TBS is koto-ALC-limba but feels deeper than this.
Best suited for continuous control looping in my opinion. The people that are afraid of fast carbon but still want the control and sweet spot only carbon offers can try this blade. 

Edited by assiduous - 07/07/2014 at 3:06pm
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 3:31am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Speed - slow. This is a slow blade regardless of the rubber. It is noticeably slower than TBS, which is not fast to begin with. You can step away from the table but you will have to rely on Spin + Control. You are not gona overpower nobody with this blade.

Sorry, are you so sure the Acoustic Carbon is slow? Or do you mean fast but not as fast as TBS?

It is one of the fastest blades in the Nittaku range. I have uploaded the Nittaku Blades Chart showing speed and have translated selected blades into the English labels.

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 3:45am
Sorry for being off-topic...   But looking at the chart above, it is odd that they put Acoustic being harder than Violin.  Violin is not soft, at least medium hard.  And it is harder than Acoustic.  So the chart is not accurate, in my opinion.

Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 3:52am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

Sorry for being off-topic...   But looking at the chart above, it is odd that they put Acoustic being harder than Violin.  Violin is not soft, at least medium hard.  And it is harder than Acoustic.  So the chart is not accurate, in my opinion.

+1; the acoustic is softer but people confuse the violin's magic with the best from many other blades while the acoustic is good just at what it is.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 6:55am

Good point. What is confusing is even Nittaku mentions the acoustic uses softer material than the violin, though the acoustic is thicker. I wonder how they measured the softness and speed then.

What I can only say from experience, is that the Acoustic Carbon rating on the chart seems right - fast and stiff, at least compared with the blades I have or have owned - Rutis, Rutis Power, Ludeack Fleet and Septear. Though I find it fast, the major downside is the stiff feeling.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 3:09pm

Sorry, are you so sure the Acoustic Carbon is slow? Or do you mean fast but not as fast as TBS?

It is one of the fastest blades in the Nittaku range. I have uploaded the Nittaku Blades Chart showing speed and have translated selected blades into the English labels.

Well you are right, it depends on the frame of reference. I guess there are slower blades than this yet, but this blade is slow. It is the slowest carbon blade I have ever tried. All BTY carbon blades are faster than this by easily noticeable margin. When you switch back and forth with TBS the speed difference is very obvious. I was very surprised myself, but TBS is average for me and everything slower than TBS is slow.

Shipped to Liulin04, lets see what he says.

puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2014 at 10:00pm

+1. I have both Violin and Acoustic (J-pen version), and Violin is harder than Acoustic.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 11:40am
Just finished testing the AC with Bluefire JP 01 on the forehand, and Tibhar 5Q+ on the backhand. 30 minutes in and I was done... I played and tested many carbon blades, and this is one of the quickest and most disappointed test.  30 minutes in, I already knew what it's like, and matches are not even necessary.

Initial impression - fine craftsmanship.  don't expect anything less from a reputable brand such as Nittaku, that values heavily on their detailed craftsmanship and high quality of wood selection.

Speed - OFF - I'd rate the AC for an OFF because of the carbon layers.  While the carbon layers does make it faster, it is not as fast compared to other popular carbon blades such as the Butterfly T5000 series.  The reduction in speed is also due to its thickness at only 5.54mm.  This is considerably thin even compared to a Timo Boll T5000 that's around 5.7mm ish.

Feel - Stiff - The blade is relatively stiff for looping.  So the elimination of vibration is a big plus, for me at least, but the stiffness is something that I find it unpleasant to play with, such as the Timo Boll ZLC that is also known for its stiffness.

Looping - This blade should yield better results if paired with better tensor rubbers such as Tenergy 05 or 64.  With the JP01/5Q+, there was an immediate big difference when looping.  I have been playing with the same 2000 rated player on a very constant basis, so he was very familiar with my spin and speed coming off of the T05/T64, but after I tested the AC paddle, he said the spin was a lot less and speed was noticeably slower, even though I was going full-swing on my practice forehand loops.  Although the shots are consistent, but to exert power to win the points, it will take a tremendous amount of effort, similar to some of the other testers commented.

Blocking - JP01 is easy to block against topspins on the Acoustic Carbon, since the blade is not too fast, so it gives the user more control for blocking. I felt this rubber is a lot slower compared to the Bluefire M1, even though they belong in the same Bluefire series.  I believe with either a Bluefire M1, Acuda S1 Turbo, or an Andro Rasant will yield better results then both the JP01 and 5Q+ combined.  

RPB - Using 5Q+ on my RPB was a big challenge.  The shots were slower and less spin, doesn't pose much danger to my opponents especially when my RPB emphasizes on spin, while retaining a good deal of speed.  Again, this is where the flaw of the AC comes in.  For two-wing loopers who specialize in a mixture of spin and speed, this blade is not preferred because it's too slow, unless one uses a MAX high tensor rubbers such as Tenergy 64, or some of the other faster European rubbers.

Overall impression: I like this blade, don't get me wrong, but the Acoustic Carbon has to be paired with the right tensor rubbers in order to truly be a good blade since it lacks power and speed for a carbon blade.  Some rubbers that I think will do well with the AC will be Tenergy 05, 64, Rasant, Bluefire M1, and Acuda S1 Turbo.  But if one wants both speed and spin, I think T64 will be the best choice.

Edited by liulin04 - 07/24/2014 at 11:49am
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 1:09pm
great review liulin04! Clap
gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 9:05am
Last  attempt to play with it last nite before sending it to Andy Smith in the morning. I'll post some video if how does it go, will post some review later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsF2Nv6jDO8&feature=youtu.be
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2014 at 10:17am
Apologies for the late arrival of this review.  I'm a big fan of the Acoustic, so I was very excited to test the Acoustic Carbon.

First Impressions

Anyone who has used the Acoustic will know that this is a high-quality blade series fom Nittaku.  The AC doesn't disappoint, and there are no real surprises either.  The quality remains high - it's the Acoustic with FE carbon under the 1st ply, and that's it.  No defects or faults anywhere.

The handle is too slim for me.  I'd have to use grip tape in the long-term, or get the L-Size.

General Speed and Feel

This isn't a slow blade.  It's noticably faster than the original Acoustic, so I'd put it at the top end of the OFF- class.  The earlier comparison with the TBS is an interesting one.  I've had heavier (95g+) examples of the TBS in the past which were faster than the AC I used, but recent TBS's have been around the mid-80g and are very similar in overall speed terms (if not in terms of feel).

Sticking with the comparison with the TBS, the AC does have the softer limba feel, but it's only hugely noticable in touch play and brushing shots.  Shots with any more power involved feel more direct and forceful than the original Acoustic.  Sure, it's not as sharp a feel as the TBS's koto outer, and even the fe-carbon under the 1st ply doesn't result in a hugely hard feel. The better comparison really is with the BTY Maze I suppose.

Looping

Brush looping with a very fine contact is surprisingly slow, so I can understand some previous comments.  The AC is plenty fast when driving, so it did come as a bit of a surprise.  Cong's comment about the thickness of the blade could be the root of this behaviour.  However, I quite liked this.  I found I could use controlled looping from any distance to apply pressure during play, and finish the point off with a drive/smash.

Looping with the AC might have lacked some raw speed, but the arc and power are excellent.

Blocking/Driving

Here is where the AC has a major advantage over the original Acoustic for me.  I found the AC to be far easier when playing directly, or close-in.  I found that I ended up looping everything with the Acoustic because driving felt a little vague, but the AC definitely has the extra stability which really helps me.

It also isn't overly bouncy, so blocking was excellent.  The stiffness, reasonable speed and medium arc make blocking very intuitive.

Wrap-Up

Of the 4 TT11 test blades, this is the one I liked most.  IMO, it's best to think of this as a modified Acoustic rather than a direct competitor with the general class of popular carbon OFF blades in the market today.  For a stiff, thin carbon blade, the AC has really excellent looping performance while improving on the base speed and stability of the original Acoustic.  When the AC was first announced, I initially thought that the carbon would ruin the Acoustic's feel, but I was wrong.  It's a far more subtle result than I'd feared (and it reminds me a lot of the results of the carbon used in OSP's blades, which is similarly understated).  For me, it's bordering on perfection, and is well worth the money.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2014 at 10:41am
Can anyone comment on how it will play with pips??
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2014 at 11:32am
Thanks for the review Andy.
Never owned an Acoustic, as this blade is not fast enough (for me) I think. I still have my doubts on the Acoustic Carbon as well.

Andy, do you know how the AC compares to the Xiom Vega Pro blade?
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2014 at 11:39am
How does it compare to the waldner senso carbon (jo shape)?
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 1:15am
Big thanks to all of you who participated in our Nittaku Acoustic Carbon testing program! :)
Now, the question is - what should we do with this blade? Any ideas? Maybe lets give it to the best reviewer? We will cover the shipping costs.

PS. Happy holidays time! :)
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2014 at 1:28am
I'll try it if I can.
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2014 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by p1ngp0ng3r p1ngp0ng3r wrote:

Thanks for the review Andy.
Never owned an Acoustic, as this blade is not fast enough (for me) I think. I still have my doubts on the Acoustic Carbon as well.

Andy, do you know how the AC compares to the Xiom Vega Pro blade?

AC and VP have similar speed, hardness and stiffness. I prefer VP for looping because it has a higher arc. I prefer AC for flat hitting especially for BH blocking.
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 4:53am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Apologies for the late arrival of this review.  I'm a big fan of the Acoustic, so I was very excited to test the Acoustic Carbon.

First Impressions

Anyone who has used the Acoustic will know that this is a high-quality blade series fom Nittaku.  The AC doesn't disappoint, and there are no real surprises either.  The quality remains high - it's the Acoustic with FE carbon under the 1st ply, and that's it.  No defects or faults anywhere.

The handle is too slim for me.  I'd have to use grip tape in the long-term, or get the L-Size.

General Speed and Feel

This isn't a slow blade.  It's noticably faster than the original Acoustic, so I'd put it at the top end of the OFF- class.  The earlier comparison with the TBS is an interesting one.  I've had heavier (95g+) examples of the TBS in the past which were faster than the AC I used, but recent TBS's have been around the mid-80g and are very similar in overall speed terms (if not in terms of feel).

Sticking with the comparison with the TBS, the AC does have the softer limba feel, but it's only hugely noticable in touch play and brushing shots.  Shots with any more power involved feel more direct and forceful than the original Acoustic.  Sure, it's not as sharp a feel as the TBS's koto outer, and even the fe-carbon under the 1st ply doesn't result in a hugely hard feel. The better comparison really is with the BTY Maze I suppose.

Looping

Brush looping with a very fine contact is surprisingly slow, so I can understand some previous comments.  The AC is plenty fast when driving, so it did come as a bit of a surprise.  Cong's comment about the thickness of the blade could be the root of this behaviour.  However, I quite liked this.  I found I could use controlled looping from any distance to apply pressure during play, and finish the point off with a drive/smash.

Looping with the AC might have lacked some raw speed, but the arc and power are excellent.

Blocking/Driving

Here is where the AC has a major advantage over the original Acoustic for me.  I found the AC to be far easier when playing directly, or close-in.  I found that I ended up looping everything with the Acoustic because driving felt a little vague, but the AC definitely has the extra stability which really helps me.

It also isn't overly bouncy, so blocking was excellent.  The stiffness, reasonable speed and medium arc make blocking very intuitive.

Wrap-Up

Of the 4 TT11 test blades, this is the one I liked most.  IMO, it's best to think of this as a modified Acoustic rather than a direct competitor with the general class of popular carbon OFF blades in the market today.  For a stiff, thin carbon blade, the AC has really excellent looping performance while improving on the base speed and stability of the original Acoustic.  When the AC was first announced, I initially thought that the carbon would ruin the Acoustic's feel, but I was wrong.  It's a far more subtle result than I'd feared (and it reminds me a lot of the results of the carbon used in OSP's blades, which is similarly understated).  For me, it's bordering on perfection, and is well worth the money.
Great review!
I share many of your opinion about the NAC. I totally enjoy my NAC.
This blade will finally cure my EJ bug forever . . .. . . . naaahhh maybe for a long while
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic