Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Way overpriced used and new products

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
keoni View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Way overpriced used and new products
    Posted: 07/23/2014 at 3:42am
Just curious as to why members are posting equipment so expensive! DONT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THE EQUIPMENT IS USED AND YOU ARE ASKING RETAIL PRICES???  Thumbs Down

Please fellow table tennis buyers visit tabletennis11.com or ttnpp.com. These websites are very affordable and professional. Fast shipping and way cheaper. 

BTW I HAVE A photino light 79g. asking $500  Clap
STiga Classic 85g asking $700 LOL

Sponsored Links

TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 6:45am
I notice that too. Especially the price of old worn crack Tenergy which sell as much as $30 or even more. It all comes down to demand/supply I think.
SolidEvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolidEvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 1:30pm
I don't understand why any tt player would buy used gear.
Everybody is arguing that especially rubber only has so much game in it.
You'd think nobody would buy it.

As for blades, well if they are well kept, I guess finding the perfect weight version of a certain blade you like can be worth money. But it has to be nib-ish.

double fish attack style 8484...$200 much?
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 1:37pm
It's called a free market system. Just because a seller posts a ridiculous price doesn't mean a buyer can't make a counteroffer.  People will pay what they think it's worth. If the seller is motivated enough, the price will drop until it sells.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 2:09pm
You are not gona find a single registered member here a bigger defender of free markets than me. 

But I have to actually agree that some sellers post ridiculous prices, often HIGHER than the lowest retail available (and claiming they bought if from the most expensive seller, like it matters), and then just 'fishing' for fools. 

You have to remember what FREE MARKET means: Free from government force/compulsion/interference. The individual market users can change the transaction conditions any way they want. 

As a market participant, mytabletennis.net is providing the ad space completely free of charge. That is always a bad practice because it drives bad behavior like this. There should always be a small nominal price for using the space, like .. i don't know, 1 dollar, or 50 cents, or even just a quarter. Then those with the high prices will be reluctant to pay a price, when they very well know it is unlikely for them to make a sale.

I have seen the same problem is armslist.com and even craigslist. People will ask for really ridiculous prices, knowing that its free, and hoping for a fool. That problem did not exist on ebay as long as they had insertion fee, but they removed that, and now you have people 'fishing' on ebay too. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 2:52pm
I agree prices are quite high on used items. Not sure how many of the sellers are professional sellers, as opposed to EJ's looking to experiment with different blades.

Might be helpful to disclose who the professional sellers are as opposed to EJs.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
SeeReed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeReed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 3:15pm
I don't see any problem with asking high price. Just skip their post and take note of their online ID. If you enjoying price negotiation, just send them an email. They will lower or up their asking price when they received enough emails.
100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by SeeReed SeeReed wrote:

I don't see any problem with asking high price. Just skip their post and take note of their online ID. If you enjoying price negotiation, just send them an email. They will lower or up their asking price when they received enough emails.
Agree !
Blade, Rubbers, Shoes, Socks ...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by keoni keoni wrote:

Just curious as to why members are posting equipment so expensive! DONT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THE EQUIPMENT IS USED AND YOU ARE ASKING RETAIL PRICES???  Thumbs Down

Please fellow table tennis buyers visit tabletennis11.com or ttnpp.com. These websites are very affordable and professional. Fast shipping and way cheaper. 

BTW I HAVE A photino light 79g. asking $500  Clap
STiga Classic 85g asking $700 LOL

It is not as simple as you make it out to be. 

There is the little issue that we have constant threads about ttnpp.com and whether they still exist and why they never reply to emails and why stuff ordered does not arrive for months.  I personally would never stand for that to save a couple of bucks.  Hang around here for a few months and another thread on ttnpp will appear or reappear.  Professional is pretty much the last word I would use to describe them.

Some people are shopping for rare blades, e.g. certain Btfly black tag versions because they prefer the way those older items feel. 

Also, shipping for some things can be expensive, so for a blade in perfect condition, sometimes tabletennis11 may not be quite the bargain it seems.  It depends on how fast you want something.

And then, of course, some people do have crazy ideas about what their stuff is worth.  Those things generally don't get sold at the asking price.  You can bargain via PM.  People are not idiots (usually) and believe it or not, they are quite capable of checking prices at TT websites, just like you.
keoni View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 12:35am
Thanks for your post. If I could skip the unreasonable sell prices I would have to use a different forum. Its everywhere! But you are right it is a matter of negotiating. Enjoy your week my tt brotha!
keoni View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 12:43am
 THANK you for your reply. I use ttnpp all the time with no problem. I live in Hawaii and I use them for rubbers only. They are excellent. I also only purchase blades from tabletennis11. which is now my number one site for blades. I order things for my club members all the time with no problems ever. Ttjapan is also a good site but only for bulk. 

It was just my opinion and my thoughts from looking at the prices compared to the equipment. I dont mean to offen anyone who doesn't ask redicoulus prices. Handshake

But you have very valid points and this forum is a free market. None the less, if an unreasonable seller is reading this I say Wacko to you sir. 
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 1:54am
Although sites like ttnpp may give you trouble, at least they accept paypal and you can claim your money back at the end of the day. If there is any problem buying from other member, you are mostly out of luck. They ask for payment as gift so no one can help except the mercy of the seller. I have been burnt once and that take out any saving I have over all the trades. No more for me.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 1:59am
I think, it is important, if we talk about actual blades or old rarities.

Of cause it makes no sinn, to offer used actual equipment for more than 70% of the listed prices.
That`s totally different, if someone offers an old blade, which is discontinued since a long time.
For example there are many players who liked the old Nittaku Combi Wood Attack.
That`s a wonderful blade, but (why ever) Nittaku stopped producing this blade.
If someone is playing this blade since 20 years and needs a new one, he has a problem.
That`s the reason, why a CWA in good condition will be sold for more than the further price.

Another example: I am collecting old Stiga blades. There are still a few blades missing in my collection:
I am looking for them since a longer time, because they were produced only for a short time. 
Therefore I am willing to pay much more than the further price for a new blade.
Please tell me, if anyone of you owns a Stiga Stipancic. This blade was sold for really little money.
You can be sure, that I will pay 10x more. 
Wink
Of course this is silly in the eyes of a player, but it is the only realistic way for a collector.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2014 at 9:49am
No one except the rightful owner has any right to set the price.  If you think the list price is too much, by all mean list your own item for a lower price, and make the quick sell Smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic