Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which New Poly Ball To Start With?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which New Poly Ball To Start With?
    Posted: 07/24/2014 at 4:52pm
Now after all major companies have their new poly ball on sale, and after reading so many threads, which brand do I need to purchase knowing that I am only concerned about is: how close it plays compared to celluloid balls?
Butterfly Fransizka ZLC FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9 BH
Sponsored Links

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 11:40am
From the reviews I read the Nittaku made-in-Japan poly ball sounded closest to the old.  But with different people reviewing each brand it is impossible to get an equal comparison.  You might as well buy some of each and test for yourself.

Anyway you have the Airoc already, which none of the testers so far had, so your experience may be different.
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 12:07pm
As far as I know the Nittaku poly ball made in Japan is not on the market yet, but I could be wrong.
Shifter
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Mickael Mickael wrote:

Now after all major companies have their new poly ball on sale, and after reading so many threads, which brand do I need to purchase knowing that I am only concerned about is: how close it plays compared to celluloid balls?

If you are after the celluloid ball feel then why not just stick with the celluloid balls?

I don't see much point in switching to the plastic ball if you want to retain that celluloid ball feel. Celluloid balls are currently cheaper and last longer.
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 4:16pm
If the new ball would be used in 2015 tournaments , I don't want a player experienced with the new ball to have an edge over me. I think I would buy nittaku, stiga and dhs for a start !!! What do you think?
Butterfly Fransizka ZLC FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9 BH
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 4:24pm
Yep, although when I compared the Joola 40+ vs a DHS one last night, they were the same.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 4:43pm

If the new ball would be used in 2015 tournaments , I don't want a player experienced with the new ball to have an edge over me. I think I would buy nittaku, stiga and dhs for a start !!! What do you think?

Now we are talking, you are now making more sense :)

Go for DHS 3 star because DHS are the officIal ball sponsor for most major events until 2016. One problem, plastic balls don't seem to be as durable as the celluloid balls.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 8:16pm
eacheng.net website sells DHS 40+ (***) balls made from "New Materials".

It doesn't say it is "Plastic Balls", it only says "New Materials".

I don't think that is the plastic balls that ITTF wants to move over to.

I don't see them selling DHS "Plastic Balls" at this moment.  eacheng.net carries lots of DHS products however.

Edited by skip3119 - 07/25/2014 at 8:17pm
skip3119
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

eacheng.net website sells DHS 40+ (***) balls made from "New Materials".

It doesn't say it is "Plastic Balls", it only says "New Materials".

I don't think that is the plastic balls that ITTF wants to move over to.

I don't see them selling DHS "Plastic Balls" at this moment.  eacheng.net carries lots of DHS products however.

<span style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-:EN-US;mso-fareast-: EN-US;mso-bidi-:AR-SA">http://eacheng.net/index.php?act=product&CategoryID=250</span>

The one with Ma Long on the box is the new Plastic Seamed 40+ 3 star balls that officially chosen by ittf as competition balls for 2014-2016. The 1 star has even lower bounce than 3 star so they will mess up your game more if you practice with them. I can feel the seam by touch.

http://www.dhs-sports.com/portal/content/15593

Edited by TurboZ - 07/25/2014 at 10:32pm
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 9:27pm
TutboZ:  

It say "New Materials" but didn't say it is plastic.  But from your link DHS says that that ball is approved to be used after 7-1-2014 for the ITTF sanctioned tournaments.

That's good enough for me.

Appreciated very much.
================================

At eacheng, this new ball sells for $10.85 for 6 balls. (plus $5 shipping, I guess.)
The old ball (cellulose) sells for $7.35 for 6 balls.  (plus $5 shipping, I guess.)

$3.50 more expensive per 6 balls.

Edited by skip3119 - 07/25/2014 at 9:53pm
skip3119
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 10:31pm

TutboZ:  

At eacheng, this new ball sells for $10.85 for 6 balls. (plus $5 shipping, I guess.)
The old ball (cellulose) sells for $7.35 for 6 balls.  (plus $5 shipping, I guess.)

If you don't mind buying from taobao and going through an agent, then you can save some bucks. Around $6 a box if you buy more. 

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 10:44pm
TurboZ:

The link is not working:  

If you don't mind buying from taobao and going through an agent, then you can save some bucks. Around $6 a box if you buy more. 

======================================

skip3119
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 1:55am

TurboZ:

The link is not working:  

======================================

Don't know why but it works for me. When I click the above it gave me the following link. Buy 1 and it is under $9 include shipping.

This is the original product page from taobao. You can copy and paste it into the buychina site and search for it if the above doesn't work.

skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 11:43am
The first page confused me:

Sorry, the items you are viewing are either out of stock or removed.
==================================

Then I clicked the "Table Tennis" on that page - the needed information shows up.
Thanks.

skip3119
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 12:02pm

same for me. any listing I click show this message
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 12:09pm
This link by TurboZ works great:

This is the original product page from taobao. You can copy and paste it into the buychina site and search for it if the above doesn't work.
===========================

I am in US, but have routinely bought TT supplies from China (china-friend on eBay, and Eacheng) and Hong Kong.  Never bought anything listed on taobao.

Do we have forum members here bought TT supplies this way?
(The price seems to be lower than china-friend or eacheng or on eBay.)
skip3119
Mastermind View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 12:11pm

I think you are probably promoting the general idea of switching to plastic balls despite it not being necessary.

Even on the international level some people inside the ITTF understand that probably nobody would use this crap, so they decided to force the organizers of international tournament into "choosing" plastic balls.

What we can see now in German leagues e.g. is that the great majority of clubs chose celluloid balls for the competitions. The 1st and the 2nd ones chose plastic balls for the apparent reason that many players there play also internationally under the f***ing guidance of the ITTF. But below plastic balls are very rare.

Note also that forcing the organizers to chose the crap is a violation of the ITTF rules, since the ITTF rule 3.02.01.02 states "the choice of equipment shall be as laid down by the Association in whose territory the competition is held, selected from brands and types currently approved by the ITTF." (http://www.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/ittf_hb.html)

jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 12:26pm
Since all of plastic balls are made in China there's no point about choosing from one bra d or another since I don't think there will be anymeaningful differences between them. I would probably consider it from seamed to seamless.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 12:32pm
Edited

Edited by jonyer1980 - 07/26/2014 at 12:33pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

same for me. any listing I click show this message

Availability of plastic training balls say 2 star may be a big issue along with the cost and durability.  One club that does significant training is looking at replacing 1500-2K 40C balls, no small matter considering the cost and possible durability issues plus looking at this  on a world wide basis it may be awhile before supply and price become reasonable.  It would seem natural that associations encourage clubs that train international level players to focus on the P balls and let the rest of the lower level tournaments and players use the 40C until supply and price is not an issue.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 7:38pm

I am in US, but have routinely bought TT supplies from China (china-friend on eBay, and Eacheng) and Hong Kong. Never bought anything listed on taobao.

I have not actually use buychina before but if you can read Chinese or have friends to help you out then there are many Chinese only sites to shop for you. You can buy as many as you like from different sellers and after the agent get all the products you want then you can ask them to put in one pack and ship to you. Have to avoid heavy items as shipping cost is pretty expensive. Best agent I found so far is dotdotbuy. Lowest agent and shipping fee but still fast and reliable.

I see taobao is starting its own shipping agent business now but not to USA yet. There may be similar sites in English. I don't know if there is a good one but accepting Paypal is a must.

Edited by TurboZ - 07/26/2014 at 7:41pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 9:42am

TutboZ:  

It say "New Materials" but didn't say it is plastic.  But from your link DHS says that that ball is approved to be used after 7-1-2014 for the ITTF sanctioned tournaments.

That's good enough for me.

Appreciated very much.

That's a feature of ITTF's push for the change, not a bug.
peter234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2014 at 1:37am

This link by TurboZ works great:

===========================

I am in US, but have routinely bought TT supplies from China (china-friend on eBay, and Eacheng) and Hong Kong.  Never bought anything listed on taobao.

I always buy items from China supplier: pabbos.com,  which is China ebay.

Edited by peter234 - 08/08/2014 at 1:39am
Lalicat Browser
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2014 at 2:27am
The Xushaofa balls don't easily break, at least the one I tried didn't !
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2014 at 9:19am
Paddle Palace has the Nittaku plastic balls on sale now.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2014 at 9:21am
That's not the Nittaku Premium made in Japan.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2014 at 9:37am
Nittaku Japan Plastic balls not available until October.  The current Nittaku 40+ balls made in China have the same low bounce and playing properties as DHS, Joola, etc.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2014 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Nittaku Japan Plastic balls not available until October.  The current Nittaku 40+ balls made in China have the same low bounce and playing properties as DHS, Joola, etc.

Do you think the JP version be available in US markets? Just so we don't have to pay crazy shipping just to ship a few balls here in the states.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2014 at 10:31am
Our club recently bought the Joola ball and Donic ball. Will report back here about durability once we have our first broken but since they play pretty much the same as far as I, and other club members, can tell, I'd go Donic because it's cheaper at megaspin.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2014 at 10:38am
Agree with suds, go with the cheapest ones, I have not seen any difference between DF, DHS, Joola and Nittaku China.  XSF ITTF approved polyball, on the other hand, is a quite different experience. 

I have no idea when US sites will carry the new Nittaku Japan balls, perhaps someone could contact Paddle Palace, since they were able to distribute a small number of them to a few people.  I put in a pre-order with iruiru.  The shipping is expensive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic