Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

When will you use the new balls exclusively?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When will you use the new balls exclusively?
    Posted: 07/25/2014 at 11:45pm
This is something I can't decide for myself.  One part of me wants to use them now, since that is the future and might as well get started on the transition.  But nearly everybody I play with is still using celluloid, so I will probably stick with that.  People here probably won't change until they run out of the old balls.  I think I can enjoy playing equally with either ball, but would prefer to not have to switch back and forth.

How do you plan to handle this?
Sponsored Links

iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 11:51pm
I was thinking about it myself...

XIOM ZX1 Feel 85 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega VII Pro, BH: Rakza 7 Soft 2MM
XIOM ZXI 88 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega V Tour, BH: Rakza Soft 7 2MM
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 11:54pm
My answer is: whenever tournaments I play at start using them i.e. when my USATT rating is dependent on how well I play with them.  You don't play USATT tournaments which is why your choice is more personal.

I expect that to be January 2015 as the Nationals is still committed to the old ball and that will likely influence the NA Teams, though the NA Teams and Nationals might have a change of heart depending on how the new ball plays at the World Cup and whether elite players coming to the Teams are using the new ball.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 12:11am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

My answer is: whenever tournaments I play at start using them i.e. when my USATT rating is dependent on how well I play with them.  You don't play USATT tournaments which is why your choice is more personal.

I expect that to be January 2015 as the Nationals is still committed to the old ball and that will likely influence the NA Teams, though the NA Teams and Nationals might have a change of heart depending on how the new ball plays at the World Cup and whether elite players coming to the Teams are using the new ball.

Sounds about right to me.  I think that is probably what most people will do, and I will follow the herd which in the US probably means holding off until around November or so. 
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 12:59am
I will use the new plastic balls exclusively once they no longer sell celluloid balls and the durability of plastic balls has improved.

Currently, I use both types, with the plastic balls used only for serve practice. I don't see the need to disband celluloid balls entirely. Depending on your objective, you can change balls to fit that purpose.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 5:52am
Once I can get the new balls locally, I will start using them exclusively.
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 6:37am
Only when the world runs out of celluloid balls.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 7:48am
If their playing characteristics stay like this, I will not use them, even when our league changes over to them. Also, their durability has to go up and the price down.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 10:54am

When ZeroPong starts selling three star 40P at the same price as their three star 40C !
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Mastermind View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

One part of me wants to use them now, since that is the future

We can conclude from the past that plastic ball is not the future. The fact is however that some people inside the ITTF have been working to make it the future contrary to the reason and players interests.

In the past plastic balls failed on the market in 1970s and later also at tournament tests in 1980s.

After the well known BoD decision (2011) based on the "coming worldwide celluloid ban" lie the plastic balls were found bad by some top players who tested them and their introduction was delayed twice, till 2013 and then again till 2014.

Recently it has been practically delayed again, this time in a very clever manner. In the technical leaflet T3 someone added a temporary amendment allowing to make the plastic balls heavier that the rules allow. Note that after 01.01 2016 those heavier balls are not allowed any longer automatically. Apart from this decision being illegal, it demonstrates again that new plastic balls as designed by some ITTF people and manufacturers are crap, so they temporarily allow the plastic balls to be a little bit better and then, when people possibly switch to plastic, they'll introduce the real crap again.

http://www.ittf.com/stories/pictures/T3_Ball_forBoD2014_final.pdf, page 4
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Mastermind Mastermind wrote:

One part of me wants to use them now, since that is the future

We can conclude from the past that plastic ball is not the future. The fact is however that some people inside the ITTF have been working to make it the future contrary to the reason and players interests.

In the past plastic balls failed on the market in 1970s and later also at tournament tests in 1980s.

After the well known BoD decision (2011) based on the "coming worldwide celluloid ban" lie the plastic balls were found bad by some top players who tested them and their introduction was delayed twice, till 2013 and then again till 2014.

Recently it has been practically delayed again, this time in a very clever manner. In the technical leaflet T3 someone added a temporary amendment allowing to make the plastic balls heavier that the rules allow. Note that after 01.01 2016 those heavier balls are not allowed any longer automatically. Apart from this decision being illegal, it demonstrates again that new plastic balls as designed by some ITTF people and manufacturers are crap, so they temporarily allow the plastic balls to be a little bit better and then, when people possibly switch to plastic, they'll introduce the real crap again.

Don't worry. Come 01.01.2016, the ITTF BoD will once again twist their interpretation of the rules to say that this heavier ball is now legal and permanent.
Back on topic, I think everyone will switch from June/July 2015 as the ball supply should be ok by then and the TT associations will then ban the celluloid ball from all their competitions.

Edited by Tinykin - 07/26/2014 at 3:25pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Don't worry. Come 01.01.2016, the ITTF BoD will once again twist their interpretation of the rules to say that this heavier ball is now legal and permanent.

I do not think so. If they had wanted it permanent, they would have made it permanent already. As new "tolerances". They did not.

It must be clear that the purpose of the whole scam is not to provide us with gut balls. As I said, it has already been obvious for a long time that plastic balls are crap. Now after they increased the ball size without changing the weight, additionally the durability has become really bad. This is what they apparently wanted, so if they say heavier ball is gone after 01.01.2016, we have all reasons to believe they mean it.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 4:41pm
In Brazil it will be used on official events only next year. So I plan to use after the end of this state champs season.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 10:53pm
I am totally confused. 
I thought it will become official ball since 1st of 2014...no?
I mean, these balls are slower and have completely different playing dynamics. It is sort of impossible to switch back and forth.

XIOM ZX1 Feel 85 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega VII Pro, BH: Rakza 7 Soft 2MM
XIOM ZXI 88 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega V Tour, BH: Rakza Soft 7 2MM
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 11:12pm
The 40+ balls are definitely approved now.  If you wanted to use them in a tournament now, it would be ok.  But it seems some of the organizations that sanction official competitions at various levels are holding off using them  for the next several months at least (as people have commented above), since the current celluloid balls are also legal.  Canada may be switching earlier, or so it seems.  I agree, the prospect of having to deal with all of these kinds of balls sucks.  That is part of what made me want to start the thread.  I have no idea how much longer the celluloid ones are going to be around, either.  Are they going to continue to make them?
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 4:06am
I currently use two types of balls. I don't mind it as I know it is a transitional period. But what bothers me is the poor durability of the plastic balls.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 5:48am
I wonder why Butterfly is taking so long to reveal a poly ball?
Are they having problems meeting their own QA/QC standards?
I hope they don't develop a Tenergy-type solution, that is, a ball that is clearly preferred by most but at a high price.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 9:38am
Originally posted by hithithit hithithit wrote:

I currently use two types of balls. I don't mind it as I know it is a transitional period. But what bothers me is the poor durability of the plastic balls.

Is this transition period limited, or are they going to keep making celluloid ones?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 10:18am

Is this transition period limited, or are they going to keep making celluloid ones?

There is neither limited nor unlimited transition period, the ITTF rules just state: "2.03.03  The ball shall be made of celluloid or similar plastics material and shall be white or orange, and matt."

http://www.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/ittf_hb.html
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 10:19am

You would expect the transition period to be limited - up to 1st Jan 2016. To which, this would imply some celluloid balls would still be ITTF approved up until that date.

In regards to manufacturing, I did ask a reputable retailer a few weeks back, and as far as they know, manufacturers have scaled back the production of celluloid balls. They didn't know of any cessation date.

Putting things together, I would say there will be less supply of celluloid balls (at least well known brands). This could mean a possible rise in the prices of celluloid balls or worse still some models might become very hard to get. We are already seeing that in some markets.

Please let us know if you know more.
hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 10:28am

There is neither limited nor unlimited transition period, the ITTF rules just state: "2.03.03 
      The ball shall be made of celluloid or similar plastics material and shall be white or orange, and matt."

http://www.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/ittf_hb.html

Over time, rules in handbook do change. Rules are fitting for the current period.

What's key is the roadmap. Although not exactly a roadmap, the ITTF Technical Leaflet T3 does make several mentions of the date 1/1/2016. For example, in the ball weight conformity section, it is mentioned "The non-celluloid balls, until January 1, 2016: Any weight between 2.65 and 2.82g is acceptable for any one ball, as well as for the sample mean." as such, one until further advised can expect the transition period will end 1/1/2016.

Edited by hithithit - 07/27/2014 at 10:29am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 11:01am
Mastermind, it doesn't matter what the ITTF rules say if manufacturers don't actually market a celluloid ball that you can use.  Plastic balls have been legal since the days of Halex but nobody for the last few decades actually sold one so it was a moot point.  So let me rephrase the question.   Does anybody know if manufacturers plan to continue to sell ITTF approved celluloid balls over the long run (i.e. once the current stock is sold)?  From hithithit's last comment it sounds like they won't.

I didn't care at all for the way ITTF brought about this change, but that train has left the station.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 11:12am

one until further advised can expect the transition period will end 1/1/2016.

Unfortunately I can smell the old well known pattern of misrepresentation.

Again, there is no transition period from celluloid to plastic, since there is no rule about any transition period from celluloid to plastic and the valid ITTF rule states: "2.03.03  The ball shall be made of celluloid or similar plastics material and shall be white or orange, and matt." (http://www.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/ittf_hb.html)

As for the date 01.01.2016, it is not the date of transition from celluloid to plastic. Someone has recently temporarily changed (illegally) the specifications for plastic balls only for the period till 01.01.2016, that is all. This has nothing to do with the celluloid balls at all. This temporary change is simply a trick, to make plastic balls temporarily better (than initially designed by the perpetrators) by allowing them temporarily to be heavier. After the players have swallowed the bait, according to the technical leaflet T3 the old bad specifications will automatically return and we'll have to use the real crap again:

"Temporary amendmend for non-celluloid balls

...a temporary release of three specifications for non-celluloid balls is decided: Weight, bounce and hardness. ... It is valid until January 1, 2016. At this date, after all development is completed, the original specifications will apply."

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 11:20am

Mastermind, it doesn't matter what the ITTF rules say if manufacturers don't actually market a celluloid ball that you can use.

Well, we could as well assume the food manufacturers would stop selling food.

Using Germany as an example, the overwhelming majority of teams did not choose the plastic ball for their competitions, they will use celluloid ball. So, why on Earth would manufacturers stop selling celluloid balls? This would be beyond reason. Maybe they can still be blackmailed to do that, I do not know. But just like that this is not going to happen.

hithithit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hithithit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 11:58am
Don't forget, each year, ITTF releases a list of ITTF approved list of balls. It would be a dream to see the 2016 list now.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 12:04pm

Maybe they can still be blackmailed to do that, I do not know.

Or bribed.  Look, people will have to use some kind of ball, and if they can sell a more expensive one, well that would be good for them.  There is no reason to expect that manufacturers will continue to make celluloid balls, indeed I would be very curious to know if major companies even continue to produce them now.

And how much do you want to bet that at some point not too long from now, the rules will be amended again to make the celluloid balls illegal?  Who would not find this implausible?

Like I said, the train has left the station.  (But when I play later today, I am going to use celluloid balls).
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 12:15pm
Added thought.  Companies have now invested a ton of money to develop the ability to make balls out of these new materials and to somewhat different size/weight specs, under some mixtyure of coercion or collusion with ITTF.  Now these companies intend to recoup their investment.  They have to.  They would be undercutting themselves by continuing to sell a celluloid ball that players prefer, and ITTF probably made some promises to the companies ITTF would at some point gurantee that they would not face competition from any small companies that might have continued to make a celluloid product without undergoing the expenses of developing a plastic ball.  This only makes sense.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 12:16pm

Or bribed.  Look, people will have to use some kind of ball, and if they can sell a more expensive one, well that would be good for them.  There is no reason to expect that manufacturers will continue to make celluloid balls, indeed I would be very curious to know if major companies even continue to produce them now.
And how much do you want to bet that at some point not too long from now, the rules will be amended again to make the celluloid balls illegal?  Who would not find this implausible?

Well, I certainly trust the perpetrators to keep doing what they have been doing one way or another, but we certainly should not run ahead of them. The outcome of the plastic ball swindle might be as well that it will be gone next year.

In the market economy there will be celluloid balls supply as long as there is demand.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 12:17pm
But table tennis market is controlled in part by what ITTF decides.

We will see what happens in the future, but my best guess is that before too long, celluloid balls will no longer be made. 

Of course, this provide a convenient excuse for manufacturers to increase their profit margin a bit.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2014 at 12:24pm

my best guess is that before too long, celluloid balls will no longer be made. 

As long as celluloid balls are legal for the competitions and there is demand, there will be supply. At the moment the demand for the celluloid balls e.g. in Germany is almost 100%. But I respect your guessing Smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic