Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rubber 4 Timo Boll Spirit? FH=Sht Pips BH=Inverted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Rubber 4 Timo Boll Spirit? FH=Sht Pips BH=Inverted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rubber 4 Timo Boll Spirit? FH=Sht Pips BH=Inverted
    Posted: 07/29/2014 at 12:49pm
Hello everyone!! Its time for me to get some new rubbers as my current ones have reached the end of their lives. I am currently using a Timo Boll Spirit with Butterfly Flarestorm on the the FH and Giant Dragon TaiChi on the BH. I don't think that these are the best choices for me.

About me... USATT LEVEL around 1600. Ive been playing about 2 years. I switch from inverted to short pips on my fh about 6 months ago. Short pips attacker. With the backhand, I mostly just push and block to set up the forehand. I would like to start looping more with my backhand.

I am thinking about swtiching to Butterfly Raystorm or Dr Neubauer Diamant on my FH. Any input on these. Yes, I realize that the Diamant is considered a med pip. Has anyone went from short pips to this rubber? Does it play similar to short pips? Will I need to change my technique much? What kind of learning curve should I expect.

BH rubbers I am considering... Tenergy 05, 64, 25fx, or 80fx. Which is the least bouncy? Im also considering Bluefire JP01 or JP01 Turbo. Or Xiom Vega Japan.  Any thoughts on these as a backhand rubber. Im looking for something with high spin and high control that is faster than what I am currently using. Giant Dragon TaiChi isnt very fast.

Thanks in advance. Im looking to order some new rubbers in the next day or two. Quick replies will be appreciated.
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Sponsored Links

SadistiClown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SadistiClown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 2:11pm
least bouncy is a heard question. they throw the ball differently. when you loop with tenergy 05 the throw is higher than a loop with the tenergy 64. but on a flat hit the "bounciness is about the same.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 2:19pm
Im thinking about going with Tenergy 25fx 1.9 for my BH and Raystorm 2.1 on my FH. Any input?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SadistiClown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 2:25pm
never played much with pimples so i have no input on the forehand but if you're trying to learn to loop better with the backhand i'd go with 05 not fx. the higher throw will make it easier than the others to loop the underspin. regardless of which you end up picking though, the form is more important than anything else.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 2:27pm
My suggestion would be to only make one change at a time.  Learning to loop is an admirable goal.  Going to a faster rubber on the backhand would be a big enough change for the moment.  Let the short pips ride on the forehand until you feel comfortable with your new strokes/rubber on your backhand.  Changing to one of these faster/bouncier rubbers on your backhand will be enough of an experiment for the next few months or longer depending on how long it takes to master the new skill sets needed.  

If I remember correctly, you're using a pretty standard Chinese rubber, so the block will change, as will the push.  Get these in line and comfortable with your new setup before trying to add the loop.  That way your more likely to stick with the new stuff and have the least disruption to your game.

After that if you still want to experiment on your forehand side, try to find someone with DIAMANT before buying it.  Hit with it first, then decide if you want to try and make this change.

Just my 2 cents.  Good luck.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 2:31pm
T05 is better than T64 as BH rubber? I've never tried any of the Tenergy rubbers at all. This is something new to me. Im looking for something with high control that has more spin than speed. I tried Donic Traction MS Soft and really liked it. But, the sheet only lasted about a month. Sponge died quick and the edges kept chipping away. I never even hit it on the table. It just fell apart.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SadistiClown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

T05 is better than T64 as BH rubber? I've never tried any of the Tenergy rubbers at all. This is something new to me. Im looking for something with high control that has more spin than speed. I tried Donic Traction MS Soft and really liked it. But, the sheet only lasted about a month. Sponge died quick and the edges kept chipping away. I never even hit it on the table. It just fell apart.

I've heard the quality of that rubber deteriorates fast but it shouldn't be doing that. make sure you keep very good care of it. I recommend buying revolution 3 cleaner and just dabbing on two drops after play and then wiping it off with your HAND, not a sponge. Also get some adhesive sheets to protect the rubber from drying out. Air is your rubbers enemy.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 2:42pm
Just curious as to why you're looking to switch from a SP FH to a MP FH. Seems pretty unusual to me.

Is forehand not your strength so you're looking for a more tricky game? Do you at least plan to twiddle when you need to make a stronger attack?

Edited by suds79 - 07/29/2014 at 2:43pm
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 2:47pm
I was googling about short pips rubber and I keep seeing people talking about that medium pips rubber Dr Neubauer Diamant. It says that it is made for aggressive attacking. Some sites even have it listed under short pips. I dont think that particular rubber would be much different than playing with short pips, but I'm not sure. That is why I am asking for advice here. 
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 3:04pm
OP:

if you like an inverted rubber on BH capable of just about anything but faster than a black hole of what you say you got, consider Tibhar Genius, Barracuda, Aurus (maybe soft version for Ur BH), or any modern middle of the road speed class allround Offensive rubber with a slant towards spin. Evolution FX-P would be great for you too, but it is a pricy rubber compared to Aurus. Nexy.com is currently selling Aurus for $35 a sheet and Evo series for $47 so either are considerably cheaper than a sheet of Tenergy even with shipping.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 3:13pm
Im not much concerned about price. I just want to get something really good that will suit my game.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 3:47pm
If your BH is mainly to keep the ball in play, then classic rubber maybe better to compliment for the SP FH.  I play the same way, and I find that classic rubber allow me to block closer to the bounce, and return more aggressive than I would with faster, and more spinny rubber, remember I don't try to win with the BH though.  As for TBS, I find spinny SP like Stiga Clippa, or TSP Spectol work better. Flarestorm or the likes work better on a softer blade.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 4:11pm
On your forehand, are you looking for a pip to allow you to spin, or hit flat?  Diamant is designed for hitting through backspin, and will give a flat trajectory.  I have a sheet, but haven't used it to form any opinion on it's strengths or weaknesses.  I only tried it on a bouncy balsa blade, and didn't like it there at all, I need to move it to a less bouncy blade and try it again.  

If you plan on using more spin in your attack something like Andro Hexter Pips might be a better bet.  

Or Dr N's Pistol would strike a middle ground between the two.

Haven't tried Raystorm.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 4:25pm
I ordered raystorm 2.1 and tenergy 25fx 1.9. I'll let you know how it goes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SadistiClown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 4:40pm
sounds like you already had your mind made up then ^.^
Marfi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marfi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 5:46pm
T05 FX work preety nice with TBS on bh, 1.9 has nice control Smile 
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2014 at 7:40pm
If you like to use your BH to force mistakes, why not go over to the dark side and learn LP?  
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2015 at 6:18pm
I just happened to stumble across this old post, I guess its time for an update. I tried the Tenergy 25fx 1.9 on my backhand. My loop started to get a lot better with this rubber. It was pretty good, a little hard to control sometimes. I used it for about 3 months, then I switched to Xiom Vega Japan. The Xiom Vega Japan was a great rubber until you are in humid playing conditions. It tends to collect moisture on the topsheet during periods of high humidity. I was having a really hard time keeping it dry. Now, I'm currently using Andro Rasant Grip 1.9. Its really really good. It even grips pretty well on days with high humidity. Very very very high spin, medium speed, and good control. I probably wont switch for a long time. My backhand loop is coming along. I'm currently playing at around 1700-1750 level. :-)

Edited by ericd937 - 03/29/2015 at 6:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic