Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Warning about Paypal as gift (friends and family)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Warning about Paypal as gift (friends and family)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
joshuadn11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshuadn11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2015 at 4:01pm
usually the seller would ask for "gift" or personal/goods because they won't have to pay some fee.

But like the post #angelleye said above, it's good to have at least some tracking number.

Joshie de GoIden
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2015 at 12:07am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I don't think sellers are always doing this because of the 3.5% fee.  I think they're doing it because paypal offers them no protection at all on international shipments that are untraceable.

For example, I've lost a lot of packages to India and a few to Israel and Turkey, and a couple to South America.  There is no postal tracking to those countries.  Therefore, the buyer is free to claim they never got it and paypal will immediately refund their money upon complaint.

However many sellers you may think are out there ripping people off, I can promise you there's 10x the number of buyers.  In other instances, I can imagine the buyer gets frustrated over not receiving the package.  They file a claim or the sender refunds on request.  Legit at the time.

Then the package shows up from customs a month or two later.  There's no tracking.  How many customers are going to be honest enough to tell the seller that so far after the refund.  In my experience, exactly none.

I've been called a racist against a number of countries.  Sorry, it's not the country I'm prejudice against.  I just don't trust their postal systems.  It's a really tough spot for sellers.

So before you make a judgement, put yourself in their place.

Yes, those would be special cases and you would be perfectly justified there.  But people on this forum have been insisting on buyers using paypal as a gift for shipments within North America.  I don't believe that is reasonable.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2015 at 10:23am
yeah, that's silly
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Henry0608 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry0608 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2015 at 6:10pm
Good topic. Pay pal by friend should not recommend for buyers.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2015 at 10:51am
Seriously, do not use the Paypal gift option.  Even if someone has what appears to be good feedback here, you are taking a risk. 

The last couple of days we have another example of someone who paid by the Paypal gift option and is now unhappy because he appears to be out several hundred US dollars in what looks pretty  convincingly like a scam from someone who had made successful transactions here with other people. 

Circumstances change.  Someone who has had successful transactions in the past may still do something unexpected.

I think the people here who buy and sell the most, the most reliable people, the ones who you really can count on here to be completely honest, would agree with me on this.  Don't use the paypal gift option.

Sellers, if for reasons Cole mentions above you are concerned about shipping to countries where you cannot track the package, do not sell to people in those countries. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2015 at 9:19pm
Several buyers managed to avoid being ripped off by our latest scammer because they took my advice and did not use Paypal as a gift (friends and family option).

As they say in boxing, "Protect yourselves at all times".  Good advice.

They also say, "Obey my commands at all times".  That is also good advice!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2016 at 11:16am
Another member has gotten into a jam using PayPal gift option with a new member here who is probably a scammer.

Be careful! 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/12/2017 at 3:29am
Why would a buyer give up all protection to save a few bucks? Are you nuts?

If you don't want to do it for yourself, do it for your moderator, who has to referee disputes. It's not fun.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2017 at 2:53pm
Another user has used the PayPal Friends and Family option to buy a blade that as yet he has not received.  He has no recourse and will not get his money back. 

Be smart.  Don't use the "Friends and Family" option (the gift option).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic