FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

1-ply Hinoki blade brittle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1-ply Hinoki blade brittle?
    Posted: 08/16/2014 at 11:15pm
I have never tried a J Pen blade but am thinking of getting one.
I have viewed reviews of single ply hinoki blade splitting right down the middle.  Is it a common problem or occurrence? 
Any recommendations for a first time J Pen blade (single sided) inverted or SP?  (I play ok close to the table C Pen).
Thanks!
Sponsored Links

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2014 at 11:37pm
Just do not go below 9 mm thickness, and you are on the safe side. Besides, I read only about 3 incidents of splitting on 8,5 mm thickness.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2014 at 2:08am
Yes it's rare for it to happen, but it does happen on occasions... as aeoliah suggested already, thicker makes it stronger.

BTW I would not call them 'brittle'... if they do split, they split along the grain of the fibres.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2014 at 2:08am
Yes. Single ply hinoki blades are very brittle. My friend plays 10mm ones. So far, broke 2 already, as in the blade split in the middle along the grains. Lucky for him, a professional blade restorer helped him glued back the blade. Looks as good as new, not much difference in feeling according to him, probably just the psychological part.

Edited by proSpin - 08/17/2014 at 2:09am
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2014 at 5:11am
Taken from American Hinoki (Blade care section):
Quote Breakage - If you break a 1-ply it will probably break cleanly along a grain line. To repair this get some yellow wood glue and apply a thin even coat to both pieces at the break then join the pieces together. Now somehow clamp the two pieces together (get a 6" min width clamp from HW store) and wipe up excess glue with a damp cloth or paper towel, then let dry overnight. The difficult part is clamping the two pieces together (don't clamp real hard or clamp will crush edges of blade). The blade will be stronger after the repair then before.

Make certain you do a practice run first using no glue, making sure everything will work.
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2014 at 6:07am
Try avalox hado. Its 9 ply hinoki. Its more usefull in competion thqn 1 ply hinoki. 1 ply hikoky is funny blade but in competion useless due catapult.
yylik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yylik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2014 at 8:38am
Originally posted by jackass22 jackass22 wrote:

Try avalox hado. Its 9 ply hinoki. Its more usefull in competion thqn 1 ply hinoki. 1 ply hikoky is funny blade but in competion useless due catapult.

You sure about this? Ryu Seung min used it to win a Olympic gold medal.
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2014 at 12:40pm
Are you Ryu? Do you have training 8 hour daily?
I think that most player dont have control for their off blade and tenergy and this equipment is not very convinient for them(loose control).

My first blade was nitaku acoustic and this time i dont have personal skills for this blade(but i played with acoustic because some good players played with this). After changing it for donic diablo senso(all+) i learned better topspin, chops and i increased my succes in competion about 50%...
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2014 at 12:54pm
1-ply hinoki is still the best choice for a penhold player. Unless you try to destroy the table it won't split.
 If you intend to use short pips, then the best choice would be Darker Speed 70 round.
 If you intend to use inverted, then go with Darker Speed 90.

Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2014 at 1:09pm
Thank you, guys.  I appreciate all your comments.  Smile
ybok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ybok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2014 at 4:04pm
My Darker Speed 90 shakehand and Butterfly Tamaropa shakehand blades both would split about once a year.  I got very good at repairing them.  I think shakehand blades are more prone to splitting than penholds.
qualizon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2014 at 8:35pm
hi ybok, do you mind to share how do you repair your splitted hinoki blade?
N656 TG3 Nat Blue/H360
Feedback
For Sale
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2014 at 1:21am
One ply hinoki has a tendency to split if you are not careful, but the good news is that you can glue it back and it's good as new, same feeling and stiffness. Just use wood glue like Gorilla wood glue and clamps.
yylik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yylik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2014 at 8:37am
Originally posted by jackass22 jackass22 wrote:

Are you Ryu? Do you have training 8 hour daily?
I think that most player dont have control for their off blade and tenergy and this equipment is not very convinient for them(loose control).

My first blade was nitaku acoustic and this time i dont have personal skills for this blade(but i played with acoustic because some good players played with this). After changing it for donic diablo senso(all+) i learned better topspin, chops and i increased my succes in competion about 50%...

Ok bro! I understand now after reading your explanation. You have a point :)

ybok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ybok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2014 at 1:05pm
"hi ybok, do you mind to share how do you repair your splitted hinoki blade?"

This is what I do to try to keep the blade flat after gluing.

Remove the rubbers.

Apply wood glue to entire length of the split, if possible do not completely separate the two halves of the blade.  It is easier to manage if the blade is not in two pieces.  It seems that hinoki splits very cleanly and folds together very nicely.

Put the two halves of the blade together and keep them in line top to bottom and side to side.  Make sure that the face of the blade is flat, the blade face should not be tilted either way.

I have no special tools for this, so I get a large clamp and very gently and very lightly clamp the sides of the blade.  Use very little pressure, just enough to keep the clamp on.

Remove any glue that has oozed from the split on both sides of the blade.

Place a flat board on each face of the blade.  The boards should cover the entire blade side to side and top to bottom.  They should be slightly smaller than the width of the blade and not interfere with the side clamp.  You might want to cover each blade face with wax paper to keep any excess glue from sticking to the boards.

Use another clamp to press these boards together.  This will ensure that the blade face will be flat and aligned.

Tighten the side clamp a bit more.  Be careful not to damage the sides of the blade, hinoki is very soft.

Wait the glue to dry and then remove all clamps.

Check the blade and remove any excess glue.  Careful, the glue is harder than the hinoki and can be hard to remove without damaging the blade.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic