Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first blade [Solved, thanks]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Greco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first blade [Solved, thanks]
    Posted: 08/21/2014 at 10:36pm
Hi, i started to play more seriously since a few months. I'm currently playing with "Teloon Sports" racket, bought in a supermarket some time ago. Well, it's very slow and it's very difficult to play with some effect, also the sponges are old, so im looking for a new racket.

I'm planning to spend more in the blade than in the rubbers, i mean, buy a good blade and some used rubbers and change them later, when i have the money and some experience to decide what is better for me.

These are the blades i'm considerating:

Butterfly:
  • Kumpuru
  • Korbel Sk7 (or Sk7 classic)
  • Petr Korbel
  • Hinoki Shake Speedy
  • (in this order, at the moment)

Donic:
  • Waldner Carbon Senso
  • Waldner Ultra Carbon Senso
  • Baum Spirit
At this moment, i'm really thinking about buying the bty Kumpuru, but what can you tell me about it, an compared to these other blades?
I found just a few things about the Kumpuru, but it seems to be a blade with a very good control, a decent speed and relatively soft. Any experiences?
Thanks

Oh, i choose blades only from Butterfly and Donic because here in Argentina it's not easy to get blades from other brands (maybe some Andro or Dhs, but its not usual). And please, excuse  me for my english if something its difficult to understand.

Edited by Greco - 08/26/2014 at 2:47pm
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2014 at 10:56pm
The only correct answer from the list you posted is the Petr Korbel. I never heard of the Kumpuru but it seems very slow and difficult to grow with.

The Petr Korbel offers something for most players. Decent speed and great control. Go with this one.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2014 at 11:36pm
Petr Korbel or waldner carbon senso. I would really have to know how you play to recommend anything. I like these two because they are more offensive but they offer a lot of control. Both of these are good for a beginner and are something you can stick with forever as professionals will still use them.
100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2014 at 11:49pm
Waldner Carbon Senso will be my pick 
Blade, Rubbers, Shoes, Socks ...
Greco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 12:01am
Thanks for the replies.
The Petr Korbel was my second option (with the Korbel Sk7, but i read that there's not a big difference).
I'm a little dissapointed to hear that from the Kumpuru, i thought it would be something interesting with fast rubbers.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 12:03am
KOrbel or try

stiga offensive classic
adidas challenge force
tibhar samsonov alpha
nexy peter pan
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Greco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 12:13am
Thanks, i understand Korbel is the secure choice, and Kumpuru something like this:
http://simpsonsscreenshots.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/mysterybox.png
It seems like a Off- soft blade. However, every blade will be faster than my actual.

yogi_bear: Between those four, only the Stiga could be a choice, the other brands are almost impossible to get in Argentina.

Edited by Greco - 08/22/2014 at 12:15am
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 12:34am
ok, also try primorac off-
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Timo1978 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 1:30am
Butterfly H.S. Speedy is discontinued since years and a fast blade. Kumpuru I think has been also discontinued since a few years, if not that long then at least outta production since 3 months.
I think it is always the best way to rely on main blades that are easily available and can be replaced fast. My choice would be the regular Korbel.

Edited by Timo1978 - 08/22/2014 at 1:31am
Machine_Head View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine_Head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 2:05am
Yogi, I am just curious why you recommended the Stiga Offensive Classic over the Clipper CR.

Thanks.
Greco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 2:17am
Yes, both are discontinued, but curiously, here its easy to get some old blades, like Hinoki Shake Speedy and Sk7.
Some people told me the same about getting an actual blade because of the replacement.
Tomorow i will talk about this to the people of the club and see if i can finally decide. I'll tell you

The Kumpuru called my atention because it's the only a carbon blade i can afford (yes, i know it doesnt make the difference, but you know...it sounds good LOL). I searched, but couldn't find much information about it. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 5:53am
The Baum Spirit is a good blade as well - the Donic blades you listed are all carbon.  Any of them is more tried and tested than the Kumpuru.  On the Butterfly list, it's really a Korbel.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Marfi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marfi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 7:03am
For first blade best is all wood blade, if you like butterfly Primorac off- will be rly nice 
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 7:46am
Be very careful about the Kumpuru. It was a great blade back in the day (maybe a bit slow in this 40mm ball age), but I haven't seen it in the BTY catalog for many years and there are a LOT of fakes knocking around.

This is your first "proper" blade, so don't go too crazy fast. If you want carbon, the Waldner Senso Carbon is brilliant and will grow with your needs (I prefer this over the Waldner Ultra). For all-wood, the Korbel is a safe bet, but my favourite is the Nexy Peter Pan.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Machine_Head Machine_Head wrote:

Yogi, I am just curious why you recommended the Stiga Offensive Classic over the Clipper CR.

Thanks.

because he needs a user friendly blade with lots of control. when learning how to spin i think it is very good to start with 5 ply all wood blades

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 9:35am
primorac off-
Cant believe that wasn't listed by more people.
If you want something even slower, SA-01 is a step down.

Can't comment on DONIC, since I have never tried their blades.

Stiga all around classic or offensive classic are also a good choice.

I wouldn't pick Korbel as the first pro blade, it's a step above primorac and should be an upgrade after you get your basics down.

More importantly, what is your age? and how often do you play on weekly basis? The reason why im asking this because if you are young and play often you'll pick up the technique faster than someone who is 25+. So maybe an offensive blade will work well for you.

If you are over 25 and playing only once or twice a week I would recommend an all around blade, that way you can gradually upgrade once you get the basics down.

Edited by DreiZ - 08/22/2014 at 9:41am
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
sticharo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sticharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 9:45am

Donic Appelgren Allplay

You can spice it up with faster (if necessary) rubbers as your skills develop......
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2014 at 10:09am
korbl is ok, it's not too fast. if you put chinese rubbers on it it's still slow

Smacfest View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smacfest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2014 at 12:25pm
How about the stiga all round classic? That was my first blade and it was fantastic: perfect control and easy to spin with. It's an all+ and it goes really well with just about any rubber.
Blade: Andro CSV
FH: Adidas P7
BH: Andro Rasant Grip
No. 88 in U15s
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2014 at 5:32pm
best beginner blade is definitely appelgreen allplay. I believe everyone has had a go at that blade aswell as TBS and mark V rubbers at some point in their table tennis career
Greco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 1:39am
Well, i couldn't with myself, i bought the Kumpuru.
First impresions:
85gr or something like that (in my scale, a cheap one), thin (5,9 mm), with a very good look for me.
I don't know what are the woods used in this blade, the outer wood look like the Timo Ball Spirit.
Another thing, the grip. I feel it fits wey well in my hand, some Fl grips are small for me, this one it's ok, i like it.

Oh, it called my atention when i saw the blade didn't came in a box but in a bag, like a ziploc, rare thing. However, i don't think it's a fake, i bought it to a trusted seller, and the blade looks very well made, with the logo in the bottom, the serial number, etc, i can't see a difference with the pictures i found on google. Also, the bag has the serial number and a code bar, wich indicates that it's made in japan (starting with 490...)
Maybe because it's an old stock from this discontinued model, i don't know.

Here some pics:

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2ypaqft.jpg

http://oi62.tinypic.com/t99s1u.jpg

http://oi62.tinypic.com/4fyfxl.jpg

http://oi59.tinypic.com/6ti8ns.jpg

http://oi62.tinypic.com/35i6jxd.jpg

I'm very happy with this blade, i think i'll use it for a long time. I hope to get some rubbers this week (used Acuda S1 and S1 turbo) and start playing with it.
Thanks a lot for the replies. I'll upload a more detailed review when i had tested it.

Edited by Greco - 08/24/2014 at 1:46am
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 3:18am
The good forum member LiuLin is selling some nice blades Korbel, you can try to ask him for price.
It will be okay if you just ask for the lighter one (possible around 90 grams), as I know he has and some bastards more than 95 grams.
As good rubbers for you to teach everything with enough control in your game you can buy 1.8-2.0 mm rubbers with tension effect, depending the total weight of the paddle you need to reach for enough high comfort.
Good luck in your choice!
Timo1978 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timo1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Greco Greco wrote:

I don't know what are the woods used in this blade, the outer wood look like the Timo Ball Spirit.

Butterfly Kumpuru: koto - carbon laminate - Abachi - carbon laminate - koto

Edited by Timo1978 - 08/24/2014 at 5:10pm
yylik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yylik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 8:37am
I would recommend an all wood blade, and from the list is Korbel.
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 9:02am
Korbel and Waldner carbon senso both are good choice, you will never go wrong with them.

Apart form this I recommend Aria lite.
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
arteepr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arteepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by MAkira MAkira wrote:

Petr Korbel or waldner carbon senso. I would really have to know how you play to recommend anything. I like these two because they are more offensive but they offer a lot of control. Both of these are good for a beginner and are something you can stick with forever as professionals will still use them.

I couldn't agree more. Makira said all I want to tell you already :D
Blade:Tibhar Fortino Pro ST 87 g
BH:Xiom Vega X
FH:Dianchi Special D provincial
Table tennis lover<3
Feedback
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 10:09pm
I strongly suggest you seal the blade thoroughly.  I had one of these some years ago (I think I liked it even!), but it splintered severely when changing rubbers.  I remember the face sheets were made from a very soft, splintery wood.  They did a good job muting the carbon feel, but were very delicate.

bes
Greco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2014 at 3:43am
Originally posted by bes bes wrote:

I strongly suggest you seal the blade thoroughly.  I had one of these some years ago (I think I liked it even!), but it splintered severely when changing rubbers.  I remember the face sheets were made from a very soft, splintery wood.  They did a good job muting the carbon feel, but were very delicate.

bes

Thanks, i'l try to be careful when changing rubbers.
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2014 at 4:10am
You did not consider timo boll spirit?
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

Greco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

You did not consider timo boll spirit?

I saw that blade, but it was too expensive.
Thanks you all. I'm going to post a review of the blade in a few weeks, since there's not much info about it online.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic