Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiga Airoc M Review (updated with review)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
warrencowan89 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warrencowan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2014 at 6:30am
I thought Japan always come out quality item only? Maybe is due to the downturn of economy that been suffered for a long time in Japan, the quality start getting deteriorating? 
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2014 at 8:46am
Originally posted by warrencowan89 warrencowan89 wrote:

I thought Japan always come out quality item only? Maybe is due to the downturn of economy that been suffered for a long time in Japan, the quality start getting deteriorating? 

LOL, no. Quality means different things to different people, of course.

IMO, many modern Stiga rubbers have always been like this. I found rubbers like Boost and Calibra to have poor durability (topsheet wear, chipping around the edges, etc), but many people love them and they play well when new. I don't think it's a drop in quality, more of the general approach that Stiga take to how they design their rubbers. High performance (if they suit you), but lower durability.

YMMV, obviously.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2014 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by warrencowan89 warrencowan89 wrote:

LOL, no. Quality means different things to different people, of course.

IMO, many modern Stiga rubbers have always been like this. I found rubbers like Boost and Calibra to have poor durability (topsheet wear, chipping around the edges, etc), but many people love them and they play well when new. I don't think it's a drop in quality, more of the general approach that Stiga take to how they design their rubbers. High performance (if they suit you), but lower durability.

YMMV, obviously.

It's a bit like car tyres. Lots of durability maybe 20k+ for some tyres but not great for performance driving.
The high performance road tyres  lasts maybe 5k miles. While the super expensive track stuff may last 100 miles.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 4:54am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

As I said I expected more cause it is "made in Japan", but still....A LOT BETTER than any other previous stiga rubber.

I don't know why you expected more really. Most Stiga rubbers are made in japan, and their durability has always been poor IMO.

Much promotion for this product and high price, so I expected more...But now that I am thinking, and the other stiga rubbers like calibra magna etc are still expensive but after 2 months of playing time are useless.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 7:20am
I think, the durability is always depending of the kind of using (how often? how intensive?). My Airoc S is 4 weeks old (1 official match and 1 training each week) and looks like new.

Maybe the Tenergy is more durable, but Tenergy costs 57€ here in Germany (without any discount) while I can get the Airoc for 37,50€. So I can buy 3 Airoc instead of 2 Tenergy.

I like the Airoc S on my Emerald, because it is really easy to produce spin (of course not as much as the T05). It has much more control and it is good (not top) in any kind of playing. I think, for many people it is more important to have a rubber, which is easy to play (active and passive) than a rubber, which is excellent in one point, but hard to control in others.

Are ther other users, who describe the Airoc-durability as bad? For me it is too early to resume.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 7:38am
Tenergy is the most "easy" rubber to play and gives you all the potentials that you need.I am talking about the big number of the players that they fit in their hands and they play with them.Ofcourse, there are other players who doesn't like tenergies.I don't think that the tenergy is better ONLY in spin rather than the airoc.I think it is better in everything.But let's not talk about the tenergies.The airocs that are used by my club mates fo 1,5 months, 3 times per week, for 3 hours training.

P.S.I just compared the tenergies with airocs, because under these playing circumstances, the tenergies have almost no spoilage.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 8:29am
I hope this photo will help you understand what I mean!

OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 9:21am
That's really bad looking. But I am also shocked about this;

Tenergy is the most "easy" rubber to play ...
In my eyes nearly all ESN-rubbers are easier to play.

You must have a really good technique, to use the potential of the T05. You have to stripe the ball very thin and early (at the highest point). Than you will produce unbelievable spin. But most players (I am not talking about professionals, I am talking about thousands of players in their regional clubs, players like me) are not really able to play in this kind, because they have bad footwork, they are too late, ... You are right: lots of these players play with a Tenergy (because Boll uses it), but if you see, how they play with their Tenergy, ....

Nevertheless you are right:
1) This is not a Tenergy-Thread. So this discussion was Off-Topic
2) The Airoc on the picture looks ugly. Here I agree 100%
But - to be honest - I think, after 6 months my Airoc will not look like this.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 10:40am
1) I use tenergy as my main rubbers since they came out in market, so i belive all these years I know how to handle and take the 80% of the rubber's abilities.(not the 100% ofcourse, I am not a professional)

2)If you continue play at this rythm (you told me one training and one competition match) ofcourse you will keep your rubber at good situation, but you know that the rubbers are fading by the time even they are not in use.(like car tires)

3)Thanks for agreeing with me with the rubber.That means that me and my club mates we are not crazy Tongue (I have to tell you that all mates that have the airocs, they are in the same situation as the picture)
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 12:55pm
I have often heard this claim that you need really good technique to use Tenergy. It is simply not true. If you can loop, Tenergy will make your loops better. Tenergy issues often show up in non-looping strokes, but you can adjust over time.

I used Calibra Spin and Sound for a while. I am like Andy Smith when it comes to Airoc. I can't use them given the importance of spin to my game and their lack of durability.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/27/2014 at 1:04pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2014 at 1:31pm
Exectly this is what I have find out.If you have good technique, tenergy helps you to improve your self to another stage.But we should stop now talking about the tenergy and return to airoc. Tongue
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2014 at 3:57pm
50 grams
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2014 at 2:17pm

Exectly this is what I have find out.If you have good technique, tenergy helps you to improve your self to another stage.But we should stop now talking about the tenergy and return to airoc. Tongue

Haha I can't understand the hype around Tenergy, It's a good rubber but some people think it plays by itself... 

Great Review, Love the Airoc M, especially with the new ball! 

Edited by Fehrplay - 11/29/2014 at 2:17pm
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2014 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Airoc m feels like it is already boosted. Boosting it would be a mistake. The only pb is its weight over 50g. I hope it can go down to 45g in 2.0 or less in 1.8, keeping the same excellent bh features.

I don't know of it's pre boosted but I think it works awesome to boost, gives it great speed and spin!

Edited by Fehrplay - 12/01/2014 at 3:55pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2014 at 9:50am
Well, a clubmate of mine has decided to go all-in with Airoc. S and M, both in 1.9mm. I ordered the sheets on his behalf and they arrived today. I have to say - the topsheet feels much, much grippier than Calibra Tour's was.

I'm hoping he'll let me have a blast once he gets his bat setup with them...
zhijie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhijie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2015 at 8:52pm

airoc M in 2.0; cut weight; anybody?

My airoc M 1.9 black, uncut weight is 66g. The _estimated_ cut weight probably around 46g on Viscaria.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2015 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Fehrplay Fehrplay wrote:

Haha I can't understand the hype around Tenergy, It's a good rubber but some people think it plays by itself... 

Great Review, Love the Airoc M, especially with the new ball! 

It doesn't plays itself, it is only more easy to play with from the most players.
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2015 at 10:54am

can't wait your review.

Then you must be BURSTING with excitement by now!

In the end, my clubmate forced me at gunpoint to put his sheets of Airoc onto a BTY Balsacarbo X3. Yuk. I couldn't bring myself to have a go of that setup, and so I left this thread in disgust! *spits on carpet*

Until now! I got hold of 2 new sheets of Airoc for cheap-as-chips this week - S and M, 2.1, both Red. I'll try to squeeze a quick go in tonight's low-risk league match.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2015 at 4:17pm
Played the league match with Airoc S on the BH side of a Waldner Senso Carbon.

I really wasn't expecting much from it. I've already mentioned that I liked Calibra LT, hated Calibra Tour, and generally don't get on with most other Stiga rubbers.

Anyway, it went OK. I was surprised by the overall feel of the thing, if I'm honest. Hard to put into words without more time, and I'd really like to try the M version as well. It's soft, loud, not super-quick (definitely slower than LT). It does remind me of some older-gen medium-soft tensors in feel (Acuda S3, Rakza 7 Soft, Aurus), but it has a comparatively stable short game, less bounciness, a smidge less topsheet grip, and a more linear power delivery.

In fact, the linearity was the biggest shock to me. I can't remember the last time I used such a soft rubber which felt so predictable. I have to go back a long way - one of the softer Mark V variants perhaps? Airoc is faster than Mark V, obviously, but the dependability is there.

I felt that most shots were easy to do with Airoc S. Short game, blocking, longer pushes. The lower throw even helped with the odd chop. Flat hitting was excellent - you can just smash away at anything above net height. And the general medium/fast speed gives some leeway when you're out of position.

The bad stuff - the topsheet grip still isn't up there with most ESN or Tenergy. It's OK, but not class-leading. BH looping was reasonable when I had room to drop the wrist below table level, and the results were actually very good with late dip at the other end. But I did struggle to flick and roll short backspin receives when a bit more cramped for room over the table. I had to exaggerate the open blade angle more than I'm used to, and force myself to lower my stance. You know, like I'm supposed to for good form anyway. Using a rubber like this brings to my attention how much I rely on topsheet grip for these kind of shots.

Anyway...need more time to work it all out, but I'm quite keen to give it a fair go. I can see why people who use LT would feel this is a step down in some respects, but it's far, far better than Calibra Tour was, and I find it's much easier to use than the LT range.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 8:01am

Glad to read. I can send u airoc m max if you want to test. I still swear by it on the bh of any blade.

That's OK mate, I've got a sheet of M in Max, red here too. Will probably give that a try on the Pure Wood to avoid mushiness.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 5:07pm
imho airoc needs boosting to come to life otherwise it's too lineair and slow
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2015 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

imho airoc needs boosting to come to life otherwise it's too lineair and slow

Yeah, I can understand anyone feeling like that, especially if they're coming from other Stiga rubbers.  It's definitely slower than the Calibras, or most tensors for example.  It's especially perplexing when you consider that the early Stiga promotional guff talked about high speed being an Airoc thing.

For me, it's fast enough.  But I'm playing close to the table these days, and it's definitely faster than my current BH rubber - Saturn Pro.  If you play from distance then it might not give you enough pop.

It is something of a strange fish.  It's soft, and has some of the advantages of soft rubbers (good mechanical spin, blocking feel, etc).  But it lacks the things you'd usually associate with soft rubbers (bouncy, bottoms out too easily, etc).  So it feels interesting to me.  I still have an irrational desire to dislike it though, so I'm not convinced yet.
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2015 at 4:46pm
How is Airoc M compared to bluefire? Smile
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 4:37pm
I rotated a few setups around to try and feel out Airoc S and M. I've had Airoc S on a variety of blades, and Airoc M on the Pure Wood (my current, regular blade).

I stand by my original impression of S - soft without being bouncy. Easy to use. Perhaps a bit "weak" when being used passively - you have to be active and positive to avoid giving an easy ball to the opponent. The only interesting thing I noticed when drilling with S was the throw when BH looping. My natural BH loop (or when lifting backspin) gave me a very high arc, but the spin didn't trouble the opponent at all. Obviously I'd need to adjust to that, but this was with the celluloid ball. I switched to a poly ball and everything just clicked into place perfectly.

Then I tried Airoc M, which was quite a lot better than S for me in most aspects. Both S&M have some great properties for my BH side - the main one being that you can attack just about anything if it's over net height. It's really easy to apply pressure on service return, for example. The difference with M is that there was an increase in stability and speed for the first attack, which resulted in more winners. It doesn't feel much harder than S when in use, but you can feel the extra stability on harder shots - much easier to punch the ball, for example.

So, sigh. I really didn't want to like Airoc, but it's good. It's a nice fit for my BH and level for sure.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2015 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Leftyy Leftyy wrote:

How is Airoc M compared to bluefire? Smile

Airoc's topsheet grip isn't as high as any of the Bluefire range, and Airoc is also a LOT more linear than BF (especially the softer BFs).

fatt has mentioned that they both share a nice feeling of dwell, which I agree with. But apart from that, they're quite different.
stevenjlyang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevenjlyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 1:17am
how about the performance of Airoc M on STIGA Carbo7.6? did anyone try it? i want to set up my Carbo7.6 with Airoc M (FH) and Renanos Bright hard(BH), are they suit for this blade? 
ZJK ALC 90g: T80 + T05FX
Boll ALC 89g: AIROC M + Calibra LT Spin
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 3:54am

It seems to me the airoc m will do a good job on any blade while the bluefire is more dependant on the blade. It might be one of those personal things.

Good point - definitely so.  I can't think of any blade which would throw off Airoc's predictability. 
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 11:43am
Speculating the durability will be poor, compared to Tenergy. The dome shape tells me it has lots of unstable boosting or unstable tension. Like speedglue and boosting.
Tenergy lasts decades. Bluefire lasts weeks. Airroc may be similar to bluefire.   

Edited by popperlocker - 03/05/2015 at 1:17pm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2015 at 11:55am
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

Speculating the durability will be poor, compared to Tenergy. The dome shape tells me it has lots of unstable boosting or unstable tension. Like speedglue and boosting.
Tenergy last years. Bluefire lasts weeks. Airroc may be similar to bluefire.   

LOL. I've been known for exaggeration in the past, but you're stretching the laws of space and time with that one.

It's hard to judge durability from visuals alone. I have my own doubts about Airoc's durability based on Stiga's past record, and comments on this thread (but if it's around £22 a sheet, I can probably cope with 2-3 per year). But the doming - who knows what that really means?

The last rubbers I used with this kind of dome were Rakza 7 Soft and Aurus Soft, and they were acceptable in terms of durability for me (although they're all a pain to glue down IMO).

All of my Bluefire rubbers have always been totally flat, with no dome out of the packet. And they've all lasted 3-4 months minimum. Actually, I hope Airoc is similar to Bluefire in this respect.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2015 at 1:05pm
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic