Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TB ALC vs ZJK ALC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TB ALC vs ZJK ALC
    Posted: 08/23/2014 at 3:13pm
Anecdotal intelligence suggests that Butterfly started treating the wood differently with the TB ALC and ZJK ALC to make them a tad harder and stiffer than their koto/ALC predecessors Viscaria and TBS.  My question is for anyone familiar with the TB ALC and ZJK ALC.  Are they generally the same hardness/stiffness?  Or is the ZJK ALC even stiffer?

Thanks all. 
Sponsored Links

acid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2014 at 3:21pm
i've tried them all and honestly speaking, i can't tell the different. i think the purpose of that is for butterfly to sell their products.

over all, i think, it's not the equipment. it's the technique and skill over years of practice. I've seen a player with crabby blade (729 all wood $30)has beat the hell out of some guy with fancy expensive blade (Amultart at that time, the most expensive, around $170).

SKILLS is more important than EQUIPMENT bro !! Wink
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2014 at 3:30pm
true.  I've made quantum leaps in my development by experimenting/upgrading to high quality/faster blades.  OSP instantaneously developed my BH.  Nittaku wood blades taught me how to feel the ball on the FH.  And now the ZJK ALC, at the end of the tunnel, is helping me blow people off the table.  So while I agree with you, I also believe equipment is extremely important.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2014 at 3:40pm
Equipment is important placed in its proper context. The work you invest in your strokes and mastering your blade is more important than the specific blade once it suits the general style you intend to play. I seriously doubt anyone would make quantum leaps from changing equipment. If they think the equipment caused the change, they should consider playing with the blade they just left behind for two weeks. The results will be largely similar.

Edited by NextLevel - 08/23/2014 at 3:44pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2014 at 11:03pm
I've read plenty of comments on how TBS is stiffer than TB ALC and vice versa, same with flex/feel/speed/etc. It seems like it goes back and forth with these two blades >>> which means they are pretty similar. I haven't touched a ZJK ALC so I cant really comment on that. But for u2300 players this shouldn't matter much in terms of picking an ALC blade from the pool of awesome Butterfly ALC blades. They all play similar so I think you should just pick one and stick with it. That's what I did and I love my TB ALC.

So generally speaking all Bty ALC blades have similar hardness/stiffness/feel. Don't let people's opinions (especially on this forum) confuse you on how big of a difference these blades are because frankly most of us here are not 2300+.

Edited by DreiZ - 08/23/2014 at 11:10pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 12:11am
TB ALC is stiffer as compared to zjk alc and much faster than it. 
The zjk alc is a soft blade to begin with, even softer than the blue dragon version in my opinion. To me, it is not a very successful product by Butterfly, tried it with hurricane 3 and tenergy.... Lacking power in shots... Gives good control but in terms of feeling still loses out.
After testing with vis, blue dragon zjk and zjk alc, i feel Viscaria > Blue dragon > Zjk ALC. I used to own 5 Viscarias, 3 blue dragon zjk, 2 zjk ALC. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 12:21am
I have had 10 (or more?) Vis, 2 ZJK-ALC, 2 TB-ALC (have hit with many others), and 1 Blue Dragon (hit with another).  I agree with Prospin that Viscaria is the best, but I like the ZJK-ALC second best and very much better than Blue Dragon which for me was a major disappointment. I have pretty much only used them with Tenergy, I can't play with Chinese rubber at all.  Partly a matter of taste, I like blades pretty soft and don't want them too fast, and the TB-ALCs of recent years are very fast.  The very first one I had was very nice, though, and I would have kept it except it had a square handle (that was my experiment, to see if I liked a square handle, which didn't work well for me).  The interesting thing is that based on this it seems that Prospin and I have somewhat different needs for a blade and yet we both liked Viscaria the best. For me, Viscaria is the pinacle of feeling in a composite blade.  Even among the ones I have now, though, two are better than the others.  I have yet to figure out a way to tell which ones are going to feel best when I play with them except by playing with them.  Nothing I have tried seems to predict in advance.
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 2:40am
I have changed equipment many times but have not made quantum leaps in terms of improvement. Although i must say rcoaching really did help. But with regards to the question. Zjk alc is softer compared to tb alc. But then again im not a high level player its just my opinion and i have only tried 1 zjk alc to compare
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

Vlad0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2014 at 3:07am
I found that Zjk alc is softer compared to tb alc too. Somehow feel it between tb zlf and tb alc of course closer to tb alc in speed and feedback. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic