Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xushaofa polyball review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2014 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Mastermind Mastermind wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Shockedall you post about is stuff criticizing ITTF decisions.

This is werid, but you are increasingly sounding like a North Korean police guy.

Despite the fact that just about everyone else who has posted on this thread has repeated one aspect or another of exactly how I feel about your posts?

By the way, please remove the emoticon - I never used it.

Edited by NextLevel - 08/23/2014 at 9:56pm
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2014 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Mastermind Mastermind wrote:

This is werid, but you are increasingly sounding like a North Korean police guy.

Now I am going to ask you politely to not hijack whatever might be left of this thread.  We know your opinion about these balls.  You have made it clear more or less every single time you make a comment. 

In a fact, a quick search shows that every single post that you have ever made on this forum except for one has dealt with your criticism of the new balls, ITTF, or Adham Sharara.  It is noted.  (The one exception is where for some unclear reason you decided to post a picture of Superman, but it had nothing to do with table tennis). 

Now, since you have not played with the balls -- any of them -- and therefore are not able to add any direct insight, give it a rest.
Mastermind View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mastermind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2014 at 10:17pm

By the way, please remove the emoticon - I never used it.

Right, sorry for that, I tried, but I am using a mobile device now I am not quite familiar with. I will correct the quotations later.

Edited by Mastermind - 08/24/2014 at 9:35am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2014 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I wish XSF had a little more clout on the international scene so that there was actually a ghost of a chance that this ball could be adopted in significant competitions. I really think most players would be content.

I think the patent around the seamless ball must be driving this because I have no other explanation.  The ball is just so much better that it has to be something other than table tennis driving the refusal to adopt it.  Everyone outsourcing their ball to DHS is just sad, but explicable when one considers that DHS will have the dominant ITTF ball for a while to come.

Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2014 at 11:01pm
The one time I played with a Nittaku Japan 40+ it felt pretty much like the XSF, and it may not be so easy to ignore them.  Hopefully their price will come down somewhat. 

ITTF approved the XSF ball, though, so I wonder if it is the patent issue or just DHS having long standing sponsorship agreements.
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 3:15am
Baal,
In the review you mentioned $10 price for package of six. I suppose you reviewed black labelled XSF balls. Anyone knows are they newer/better/different than red labelled ttnpp.com also selling only at $9 for the package of six? Is it possible that red labelled are/were burstable and black ones are not?
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 4:42am
100% agreed Baal
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 4:58am
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Baal,
In the review you mentioned $10 price for package of six. I suppose you reviewed black labelled XSF balls. Anyone knows are they newer/better/different than red labelled ttnpp.com also selling only at $9 for the package of six? Is it possible that red labelled are/were burstable and black ones are not?

I have some XSF red labels from ttnpp. They don't break easy. They do bounce weird sometimes compared to the C balls.

I have seen in an area of high humidity the XSF speed reduction is very noticeable.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 5:52am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

I have seen in an area of high humidity the XSF speed reduction is very noticeable.

That's another really good point...we don't know how these balls are affected by humidiy, and if they change a lot, it may be one of the reasons of the wide variety of different experiences..
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Baal,

Sorry, I really don't know, but my impression is that the red label ones are the same balls manufactured just before the ITTF approval, but that could be wrong.

As for high humidity, I am playing with these balls in Houston TX, a city that was built on a swamp on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico.  Same humidity as New Orleans, Miami, etc.  They are fine here.  I don't know how they would be if you used them Tucson or Las Vegas.

As for the wide variety of experiences, among the various reviews, I actually haven't read anything bad about how these particular balls play, probably because they haven't been used all that much yet.  But they are noticeably slower.  In very high humidity climates, you can occasionally expect any ball to sometimes slide a bit along the table.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 4:39pm
Well, we did break one today.  Hard smash, it hit high on the cement wall behind us, and it was a catastrophic break of the ball.  My guess is that when these balls break, you not have any doubt about it.  (it didn't explode into flying fragments.  Nobody's eye was put out.)   
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2014 at 7:35pm

Well, we did break one today.  Hard smash, it hit high on the cement wall behind us, and it was a catastrophic break of the ball.  My guess is that when these balls break, you not have any doubt about it.   

Seems that the plastics are harder and more brittle as well.  Sounds like a hard trend for even the Nittaku ball to break.  I will be waiting to exhale...
Cybershape Carbon
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2014 at 2:51am

[QUOTE=Ray]Baal,

As for high humidity, I am playing with these balls in Houston TX, a city that was built on a swamp on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico.  Same humidity as New Orleans, Miami, etc.  They are fine here.  I don't know how they would be if you used them Tucson or Las Vegas.

As for the wide variety of experiences, among the various reviews, I actually haven't read anything bad about how these particular balls play, probably because they haven't been used all that much yet.  But they are noticeably slower.  In very high humidity climates, you can occasionally expect any ball to sometimes slide a bit along the table.

High humidity ...... an ac acts as a dehumidifier to some degree, it depends on the room used, temperature, ac usage, foundation, walls, etc. I would assume most places to play in Houston have ac.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2014 at 9:34am
Yes, we have AC, if we didn't people would be collapsing!.  It helps quite a bit, but it's still the Gulf Coast.  I can't really say that XSF balls are more sensitive to humidity than other, either celluloid or plastic, but they are slower than celluloid for sure. Anyway, the thing I learned from these balls is that the slowness is not necessarily highly annoying if the ball has a decent bounce. The XSF balls are a lot better than Joola in that regard.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2014 at 10:13am
The XSF I tried break quite easily.  The 1st one breaks after about 10 mins, and during a rally, and when it breaks you know right away, and had to stop.  The 2nd one did not even last as long, had an edge ball on a hard loop, and broke the ball.  The 3rd one lasted the whole hour, but we were very gentle with it as it's the last we have.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2014 at 11:00am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

The XSF I tried break quite easily.  The 1st one breaks after about 10 mins, and during a rally, and when it breaks you know right away, and had to stop.  The 2nd one did not even last as long, had an edge ball on a hard loop, and broke the ball.  The 3rd one lasted the whole hour, but we were very gentle with it as it's the last we have.
These were all ITTF approved, yes?

I am beginning to think that celluose diacetate is just not up to the job.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2014 at 11:10am
Yes, I am pretty sure that the event that cause my XSF ball to break would not have broken a celluloid ball.  This is a concern.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2014 at 11:12am

Yes. Same balls that Baal tested.
tt-panopticum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt-panopticum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2014 at 11:13am

XSF aren't Cellulose Diacetate - to my knowledge it's impossible to mold seamless balls with this material - it's something different.

As for a previous question - indeed the red labled (non approved) XSF are different from the black labled (ittf approved) ones. Even to the naked eye the material (or maybe the wall thickness/or both) is different, less translucent for example - sound is different as well (the black labled ones much "less strange").

Durability is hard to say - I've played with a few for an incredibly long time, it seemed to be unbreakable - one example just cracked impressively (many cracks, but no parts flying around :-) ) after just a few minutes. They seem to be a bit sensitive to sharp edge impacts. If cut in parts the material seems not that brittle that it could seriously hurt anything/anybody  Wink - to me it seems even less brittle than celluloid. Cracking might be a combination of sharp edge impact and fatigue....

I happen to like the seamed DHS balls more - the loss in forward speed is equal with a lower bounce (to me that's somehow more natural than higher bounce with less forward motion).

I guess this is a very personal thing and, Baal, I also guess your impression could be very different in combination with a different type of opponent?
A higher bounce/slower forward motion usually is a n easy killer for short pips hitters for example - or anybody who's good at flicks.

Best regards!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2014 at 3:01pm
I haven't tried the XSF balls against a SP hitter.  One of my partners plays that way though, I will try it with him, maybe this week. It wouldn't surprise me if he feasts on shots I have been getting away with against other guys. Yes, these things could depend a bit on style.  One thing I am hoping is that with more practice with a large XSF ball, which I like, then for some reason playing with a Joola or DHS ball will be easier since I will be more used to the reduced speed and spin.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 1:22pm
I am confused now about one thing.  Xushaofa appears to sell two grades of plastic 40+ seamless balls, both ITTF approved!  One is called Xushaofa Sports and the other is just called Xushaofa, and both come with a black label.  The sport version is slightly more expensive at pingpong depot ($2.00 more for 6 balls).  I am not sure what the difference is.  The ones I have tested so far seem to be the plain Xushaofa ball.

http://www.facebook.com/804287529622465/photos/pb.804287529622465.-2207520000.1409073790./816600945057790/?type=1&theater
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 8:16pm
Can't find any XSF Sports from taobao. An export only version may be?
thatguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 9:20pm

I am confused now about one thing.  Xushaofa appears to sell two grades of plastic 40+ seamless balls, both ITTF approved!  One is called Xushaofa Sports and the other is just called Xushaofa, and both come with a black label.  The sport version is slightly more expensive at pingpong depot ($2.00 more for 6 balls).  I am not sure what the difference is.  The ones I have tested so far seem to be the plain Xushaofa ball.

http://www.facebook.com/804287529622465/photos/pb.804287529622465.-2207520000.1409073790./816600945057790/?type=1&theater

They are actually two different markets,sport=international. I have only tried the one on the right, the distributors are coming to market highly motivated to get their ball in play, hence the price difference, they were being introduced at an even lower intro-price earlier here in Canada by pongshop.ca and i have to say it is quite good, some younger ranked players were given some and they said there was no discerning difference betwenn them and the celluloids.

"

We are approved (pending).

The Xushaofa brand has been approved by the ITTF (International Table Tennis Association), the governing and regulating body for the sport. We are currently obtaining approval for Xushaofa Sports, our international brand.  Once we do, we will formally meet the new regulations for non-celluloid balls, which will officially be used starting in September 2014 at ITTF-sponsored events around the world. "

source:XUSHAOFA  SPORT site.

image source:ITTF Approved ball list.

Edited by thatguy - 08/26/2014 at 9:39pm
thatguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

Can't find any XSF Sports from taobao. An export only version may be?

http://www.xushaofa-sports.com/

Yes, my error earlier which i will correct...the ball labelled "sport" is international vs the non "sport".

Edited by thatguy - 08/26/2014 at 9:35pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 12:19am
So are they the identical ball with a different label?
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 2:20am
They must be different, or they would not have 2 seperate approvals.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
tt-panopticum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt-panopticum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 5:31am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

They must be different, or they would not have 2 seperate approvals.

Yes, the logo/label is different - hence they need a seperate approval.

But as reported, approval is a simplified process when the original manufacturer ball is already approved - new labled ones I guess is only paperwork thing....

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 11:02am
The thing I don't understand, though, is if it is just the label, why is one $2 more for a box of 6 than the other, and also, if one is for international market, why is a Canadian website able to sell both kinds?  I'm not trying to challenge what anyone has said, it just seems strange to me.  Maybe in the future most US and European vendors will only be able to sell the international version?  On the other hand, why would a company develop two different balls from a factory in China (not just the label) and get ITTF approval for both of them?

ANYWAY, I like these ball a lot better than the seamed polyballs I have tried.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2014 at 4:06pm

The thing I don't understand, though, is if it is just the label, why is one $2 more for a box of 6 than the other, and also, if one is for international market, why is a Canadian website able to sell both kinds?  I'm not trying to challenge what anyone has said, it just seems strange to me.  Maybe in the future most US and European vendors will only be able to sell the international version?  On the other hand, why would a company develop two different balls from a factory in China (not just the label) and get ITTF approval for both of them?

ANYWAY, I like these ball a lot better than the seamed polyballs I have tried.

I am still a little confused on this.  Wish we can get some real technical truth on the 2 differently labeled balls as to their exact material make up (plastic formula). 

From the word back ppdepot got back from XSF about these 2 different labels....XSF and XSF Sports....

"Xushaofa Sports 3* Seamless balls vs. Xushaofa 3* Seamless balls
We have received many inquiries from players and coaches about the difference between the new 40+ plastic Xushaofa and Xushaofa Sports balls.
We forwarded the question directly to the manufacturer. Here's the answer that we got from the representative of the company, Ms. Xu:

There is really no significant difference as they are essentially the same product but with different stamps! Both brands are of 3-star quality and are seamless. However, since Xushaofa Sports balls were produced after Xushaofa ones, the former may be slightly better than the latter, which reflects the company’s ongoing effort to make its formula better.

Yang Jiang
Ping-Pong Depot"

So then to me... this statement at the end actually indicates they may very well have changed the plastic formulation and not just introduced a new logo for a different market. 
And maybe a possibility of having a more perfectly round ball? (not sure about that though)

I also recall reading somewhere that there maybe a change in stiffness/softness to the ball with the latest ball (sports one) being softer to feel more like the celluloid balls.  It would be nice to see PPDepot do a compression test on the balls....haaaa   I know I'm dreaming there.

If anyone out there has both versions of these balls.....do a pinch test or let us know if you can feel any compression differences when hitting both. 

***  also i believe the XSF reply to PPD's question had a mistaken wording in it.  " the former may be slightly better than the latter,...  should read as  "the later may be slightly better than the former".

Edited by Rich215 - 10/06/2014 at 4:10pm
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2014 at 6:37am
Today I received a pack of 6 Xushaofa poly balls, code ADXC.  (3 weeks travelling time from Canada to this little outpost of Oz!).

Out of the pack, they all look good, appear to be acceptably round and play just fine!

My coach and I used the first part of my practice session (the warmup bit) to get a feel for the balls.  I'm going to give Eddie's comments more than mine because he actually knows what he's talking about. LOL

First impression - very playable.  "No problems" according to the master.

Serves  - Without any particular changes to his technique, Eddie could keep the ball low and impart enough back spin to bring the ball back to the net.  His comment: "Not as much spin".

Looping and counter-looping: "Slower."  He noted that I was having less trouble making returns and keeping the rally going.  His perception is that this ball will be good for me and players of my standard.  (That is, guys with horrible technique, no footwork, poor coordination and memories dating back to WW1.  My appraisal, not his.)

Looking at the speed and spin, Eddie really began loading up his counter-loops from off the table.  His comment: I was noticeably more successful with the XSF than I would have been against a celluloid ball.

His summary: "They dumb the game down."  Ouch!  I need the game dumbed down!  Embarrassed

I must admit I did like what I saw and felt.  If these became the standard, I wouldn't have too many complaints.

Bounce: nothing untoward.  Good height, no surprises.

Breakages:  apart from one ball which exploded and sharp fragments flew the length of the building and took out an old lady's eye, there were no problems.*

Tomorrow morning is our regular social practice sessions - mainly playing games, both singles and doubles, a wide variety of standards and styles.  I'll take along my XSFs and see what others think.

*Sorry, I'm lying about this bit.  No breakages whatsoever.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic