Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pro's and con's to handle type?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro's and con's to handle type?
    Posted: 08/26/2014 at 12:09pm
From what i've noticed when using a straight handled blade my backhand tends to be much better, while conversly when i use a flared handle my forehand seems to excel. Is anatomic the best of both worlds? I would like to know the pro's and cons to each of the handle types.
Sponsored Links

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 4:42pm
its all preference in the end...

...but the 'general trend' is - more euro style players use ST because they are more BH oriented; more Chinese style players use FL because they are more FH oriented.

It all comes down to what you like the most and which one plays to your strength. I use FL at the moment because I feel like its more comfortable for FH attacks and it gives me that reassurance that the paddle wont slip out of my hand.

Never tried anatomic, so cant comment on that.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 4:58pm
As stated, its all about personal preferences. However, my personal experience is that anatomic is the worst of both worlds as it dont allow for subtle grip changes, it has one grip thats comfortable and that dont suit me since I change grip between bh and fh shots. Also dont like it for serves.
The holy grail
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 5:20pm
ST makes it easier to switch. the handle shouldn't affect stronger FH vs BH - that would be your grip placement as ma long explains in his 1st ep tut video :p (thumb and forefinger balance: ext. thumb near center = bh oriented e.g. see kreanga's grip, parallel thumb and raised forefinger = fh oriented. in case you're int., ma long prefers a neutral grip)

FL is supposedly easier to spin as it allows greater angle range for the same degree of wrist movement, but in modern play, ppl are using the wrist less when looping and more just forearm dependent so this may be for an antiquated purpose.

as speedplay mentioned, the effects these differences have on your play aren't great and it comes down to a matter of personal preference in the end. 
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 5:31pm
Certain attributes also depend on the model blade. For example, the FL handle of the TB-ALC is quite thin. This, for me, results in slightly less efficient power transfer on FH drives. So, I'd always feel that the ST handle TB-ALC or the FL handle Viscaria are more powerful.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 5:46pm
I would say that flare blades make it easier to swing hard without losing your grip, while straight makes the feel of your stroke consistent on both sides. 

For me, I prefer straight handles because I tend to move up and down the blade with shallow or deep grips depending on mood and stroke.  With some flares, that gets really annoying.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2014 at 8:39pm
I use an anatomic blade and have found it to be more effective for my FH than straight or flared. However, the backhand with my anatomic is less effective for some strokes...blocking is fine, but loops are more difficult, as compared with a straight handle.
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 1:19am
I have been noticing that it is very rare to even find a handle to be antotomic. this is because there is not a good demand for it? or what is the reason? i think anatomic is the most comfortable and that is what i learned on. i just wish that i could find it for the blades that i use now.
dannyreventon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyreventon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 9:58am
Originally posted by MAkira MAkira wrote:

I have been noticing that it is very rare to even find a handle to be antotomic. this is because there is not a good demand for it? or what is the reason? i think anatomic is the most comfortable and that is what i learned on. i just wish that i could find it for the blades that i use now.

Well... maybe more people use and are comfortable in using straight or flared handles than the people who are comfortable in using anatomic? :)
Main Setup:
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Neo H3 Prov 39deg
BH: Xiom Musa

Stiga Clipper Wood
FH: Neo Skyline 3
BH: Stiga Neos Sound ST

Avenger 5
FH: Neo H3
Bh: Xiom Musa

Smacfest View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smacfest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 10:43am
St and fl are the best. In my opinion, I hate anatomic (I'm not trying to upset anyone). It's uncomfortable and doesn't let my hand adjust for shots. Straight is my personal preference because I can loop with ease and block with a loose grip, making it easier to take spin off the ball. But it's all down to your own choice in the end, whatever works best for you
Blade: Andro CSV
FH: Adidas P7
BH: Andro Rasant Grip
No. 88 in U15s
MAkira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 11:04am
so it's all about comfort? one way doesn't help in you certain aspects compared to others?
dannyreventon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyreventon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 11:27am
Originally posted by MAkira MAkira wrote:

so it's all about comfort? one way doesn't help in you certain aspects compared to others?

Well, I'd say its mainly about comfort. Personally, I'll hate playing a blade with an uncomfortable handle even if the blade is very good. :)
Main Setup:
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Neo H3 Prov 39deg
BH: Xiom Musa

Stiga Clipper Wood
FH: Neo Skyline 3
BH: Stiga Neos Sound ST

Avenger 5
FH: Neo H3
Bh: Xiom Musa

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 12:10pm
In my opinion if you have an neutral grip - where you don't change grip for BH & FH - then Flared.
If you like to use different grips for different shots then Straight.
Anatomic is for people who like that grip no advantages or disadvantages.
Conical - I like it, it's very similar to straight. But hard to find!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 1:43pm
I always tell people they should go straight for sure if they're a combination player (aka pips and inverted) who might want to flip or twiddle mid-point.  Otherwise, I tell them it's just a matter of personal preference and they'll probably get used to whatever they get.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 1:59pm
I use the Seemiller Grip, and use a Flaired handle.  I prefer a thicker one like the Butterflyl Viscaria handle, and I would agree with the personal preference part.  I've tried using straight and anatomic in the past, always came back to flaired.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
SolidEvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolidEvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2014 at 2:16pm
I used to play a flared, but I had tape on that also somehow.
Then I had a straight, which somehow I always held in weird ways cause it never felt just right.
Maybe the grip feel from the flared didn't translate somehow.
Mind you this was all in the no sponge era of my life.

Now back on flared again, somehow just makes sense.
The handle finish is certainly nicer then anything I can remember.
Don't need that tape anymore either.
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 4:34pm
There is so much variety available to choose from even within the different shapes.  Squared off, or Oval like in flaired handles think of the old Butterfly Gergley vs the new Butterfly Gergley Alpha. Same applies to straight handles.

In Stiga, you have 2 different flaired offerings large and small.   

The important thing is to find something that fits comfortably in your hand with your chosen grip.  We haven't even discussed how large the wings flair out at the neck of the blade. LOL  How head light/heavy do you prefer the blade.

Best to just play and have fun.  So says the EJ who is currently looking to upgrade his blade for the first time in a number of years.  Confused
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
freeSpin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freeSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2014 at 11:14pm
Initially I started playing with an anatomic handle cause it felt good when just holding the bat (not playing). Not long after though it became a hindrance not being able to quickly and precisely make small adjustments to the bat, so I sanded the handle down to a straight handle but that changed the characteristics of the bat so much that it became annoying so threw it out.

Then bought FL handle and used for quite a few years, but one day I thought of just trying ST handle and I noticed how much easier it was to serve with a ST handle, so now I have both, but mainly play ST handle simply because being uniform in shape and size I can change grip for service and quickly adjust for normal play.
Can do that with the FL handle as well, but sometimes I feel the end of the handle sitting on the cheek of my palm and it annoys me.

So, in the end it comes down to personal preference -like everyone said- considering small details that are important to oneself
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic