Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nittaku FastArc C-1 Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nittaku FastArc C-1 Review
    Posted: 09/05/2014 at 3:55am
After wrecking my T05 on the edge of the table, I decided I'd look into some non-Tenergy rubbers for my backhand, just for some EJ'ing fun.  Tongue  I've previously tried the Nittaku Hammond Pro Beta and while I liked it, I ended up going back to Tenergy because HPB was seriously lacking in spin by comparison.  Now I'm checking out Nittaku's more modern offering - FastArc C-1.  These are my findings after day 1, and I will update the thread as I continue playing with it!

The setup:
FH:  Hurricane 3 NEO black 2.1mm / 39deg
RPB:  Nittaku FastArc C-1 red 2.0mm (super thick)
Blade:  Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Total weight:  181.0g

First impressions:
- At first I was skeptical about 2.0mm thickness being "super thick," but after measuring it with a loupe, it turns out that 2.0mm is most likely max because the topsheet is 0.8mm thick and the pips are 1.0mm tall (for comparison, 2.1mm Tenergy 05 sponge measures 2.1mm, topsheet 0.7mm thick, and pips 0.6mm tall).  Considering the amount of thickness water-based glue adds, this doesn't leave much room for boosting within legal limits like Tenergy and Hurricane, so I just glued it to my blade as is.
- FastArc C-1's sponge felt medium/medium-soft, somewhere between the regular Tenergies and its FX versions, and is porous and off-white/beige colored.  
- The topsheet is grippy, semi-transparent and you can see the pips structure.  The pips are cylindrical, 1.8mm in diameter (T05's are 1.6mm), and densely packed.
- Although I did not get a weight for FastArc C-1 itself, the overall weight of my racket came down by 6.5g from when I had Tenergy 05 on my backhand.

Warm up:
- If you can imagine Tenergy having a "juicy" catapulting feeling, FastArc C-1 has a "crispy" snappy feel and sound by comparison.
- Very controlled over the table without losing to Tenergy in pace or spin.  I think the perception of control comes from the crisper feel of FastArc C-1 compared to Tenergy's dwelly feel.

Flat-hits/Driving/Punching/Blocks:
- Less bouncy and springy compared to all Tenergies.
- Very easy to feel the blade, even on low power shots.
- Punches were surprisingly fast and dead (perfect!), similar to Tenergy 64 in speed.
- Blocks felt very direct and were less sensitive to spin than any Tenergy.  I found I was accidentally putting more balls into the net instead of off the table because I thought the incoming spin would bite more than it did.
- Overall I felt more confident and comfortable with flatter shots than with any Tenergy, probably due to the thicker pip diameters and slightly thinner and less springy sponge.

Loops/Flips:
- Less dwell/catapult than Tenergy 05.  Speed is on par with T05 if not slightly faster, but less than T64 in looping.
- Unlike many other Tenergy alternatives, I haven't had any issues with balls slipping on the topsheet of FastArc C-1 yet.
- Countering off the bounce was great compared to any Tenergy for me.  The reduced catapult of FastArc C-1 compared to Tenergy kept my shots accurate and under control at the table where I would previously overshoot many balls.
- When off the table, FastArc C-1 was not as impressive as Tenergy 05 terms of spin (probably because of the difference in catapult), but I found FastArc C-1 could generate speed more easily than T05.
- Counterlooping felt more predictable than with Tenergy 05, I made less unforced errors but I wasn't able to simply overwhelm my partner with spin with FastArc C-1 like I could with T05.  
- Lifting underspin required similar effort and got similar results as Tenergy 64.  It is easier to generate a fast and low opening loop with FastArc C-1 than with T05.
- Flipping with pure topspin was more difficult with FastArc than with T05, but sidespin (banana) flips were easy to execute and produced very pronounced sidespin arcs.

Day 1 Notes:
- I don't push or serve much with my backhand as a penholder so I don't have any notes on those two shots yet although I will test those tomorrow anyway.
- I have been searching for a rubber than can emulate short pips' dead spin when punching without compromising too much spin on loops and I think I may have found it.  My rpb punches are flat, fast, and spin-less because of how easy it is to hit into the wood with FastArc C-1 and my looping technique did not require much adjustment from Tenergy.  
- As an added bonus, my control at the table (where I should be most of the time anyway) has immediately improved with the reduced catapult of FastArc C-1.
- FastArc C-1 feels like what Tenergy 80 should've been, a rubber with almost as much speed as T64 and almost as much spin as T05.  So far it has really complimented my game as my backhand rubber and has let me capitalize on my rpb punch and control at the table.  I don't really miss T05's spin too much away from the table because FastArc C-1 makes up for it in speed and consistency.

Looking forward to playing with it some more tomorrow!
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Sponsored Links

vishal_dindoyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vishal_dindoyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2014 at 6:56am
Nice pics and review! I agree with everything you've said above! And i can add that it is very durable! The grip of the top sheet lasts longer than most rubbers out there.

I found the FA C1 to be one of the best, if not the best, rubber for blocking and for doing opening loops on heavy underspin balls on the backhand. Extremely easy to do spinny serves because of its really grippy top sheet and its overall crisp feel. You can fake topspin serves for underspin more easily than with other rubbers.

Too bad you don't use it for serves!
peteleco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteleco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2014 at 3:00pm
Im at the same path as you,
just ordered a C-1 to replace my old tenergy05 and bryce speed.

Lets see what it brings to my game.
Jun Mizutani - FL
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2014 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

I have been searching for a rubber than can emulate short pips' dead spin when punching without compromising too much spin on loops and I think I may have found it.... punches are flat, fast, and spin-less because of how easy it is to hit into the wood with FastArc C-1 and my looping technique did not require much adjustment from Tenergy.

I have been looking for the same attributes for a BH rubber...

A good driving, punch blocking rubber with speed and excellent placement. Yet which can still do opening loops very well (essential for my game) and which can loop with spin and speed occasionally during rallies. 

My answer to this is the Stiga Calibra LT Spin - which I tried briefly on a training bat at the centre I train. Since it had all these qualities, I ordered a sheet for my BH (to replace my ageing Rakza 7 soft) which is spinny and great for looping, but is very spin sensitive, not so accurate when driving and punch blocking and not so fast and direct...

so far I am still waiting for the rubber.

Does anyone know how Stiga Calibra LT Spin compares to Nittaku FastArc C-1 ?? are they similar in their attributes? (I mean do they excel at similar things - I dont care too much about hardness etc...)

It would be interesting to know because it seems Schen and I like similar attributes as a BH rubber...

Edited by Clarence247 - 09/05/2014 at 7:11pm
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2014 at 10:37pm
The answer is always technique. I have an all round backhand and I use T05. If I used Calibra, I would do the same things, but over power spun less and add to it more.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2014 at 1:19am
Played in a training camp today at my club and got to try the rubber against a few different kinds of players.

Blocking:  For some reason I struggled to block a (1900 level) 10 year-old's loop... many of his loops I blocked into the net where with T05 I previously had no problem.  FastArc C-1 seems to require a more active block than Tenergy if the incoming loop has little speed and spin, but against more powerful and spinner loopers, FastArc C-1 had no problems and was actually more consistent than T05.

Chopping:  Now and then I try to dabble in the modern defense game so I decided to chop a bit for fun.  FastArc C-1 eats the ball very well and sends back a spinny ball but with little forward momentum when chopping on either wing.  While hurricane's chopped ball comes in low and skids on the table, FastArc's chop seems to have more spin and just stops when it bounces on the table and barely comes out long enough to re-loop.  

Service:  Not as impressive as tenergy or hurricane in terms of spin, but it was very easy to keep the ball short.  I am very accustomed to hurricane on my FH so FastArc felt a little strange, but on my backhand I could serve the same way I did with Tenergy.

Day 2 Notes:  
Previously, although I learned rpb from the beginning, rpb felt more like an offensive secret weapon because of how potent Tenergy was, although I was hesitant to use it at times out of fear of missing the table.  For players who are used to playing me, they know that if they serve fast and deep to my backhand, I tend to choke and opt to push or chop block with my traditional backhand because I wasn't ready to be forced to attack.  

FastArc C-1 has changed my rpb to become the backbone of my game.  Earlier this evening I was able to win matches against players I previously struggled against because I was able to control points by taking the initiative more frequently and more confidentially using FastArc C-1 than with Tenergy.  I was comfortable even if I was forced to attack from my backhand, and made several players regret serving long to my backhand like they used to.

FastArc C-1's high gear kicks in sooner than Tenergy's does, but does not have the same potential Tenergy has at the top end.  This is okay for me though because it rewards maintaining form and technique at controllable speeds more than Tenergy, and discourages me from going for high-risk shots in favor of consistent and well-placed point-winning ones.  

As a Tensor, I feel like FastArc C-1 falls between Palio Blitz and Joola Rhyzm but is more controllable than either of them.  I still like it very much but I've started to realize that I miss the weight of my old setup.  FastArc C-1 makes my setup feel a bit too light for me (185g is usually the minimum in my comfort zone)... maybe I'll try some weighted edge tape to compensate.  I'll be taking a lesson with my coach Shao Yu tomorrow, and will post more thoughts later.

Edited by schen - 09/06/2014 at 1:21am

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Clarence247 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarence247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2014 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

Blocking:  For some reason I struggled to block a (1900 level) 10 year-old's loop... many of his loops I blocked into the net where with T05 I previously had no problem.  FastArc C-1 seems to require a more active block than Tenergy if the incoming loop has little speed and spin, but against more powerful and spinner loopers, FastArc C-1 had no problems and was actually more consistent than T05.

Reason is simple... if the FastArc C-1 reacts less to spin... then a loop with little actual topspin is not going to cause a big reaction, when facing the same loop the Tenergy reacts to the topspin more, and therefore returns the ball higher avoiding the net. The block does not need to be more active, the only thing that has to change is the face angle of the blade - tilt it upwards by a few degrees... at first there maybe fear to blast the ball over the edge of the table if you were used to the over-reactive tenergy05, but this will become instinctive after a few minutes of sustained blocking (try an exercise where you block 2 BH loops, then 2FH loops, then again 2BH loops and 2 FH loops - try to keep the ball on as long as possible... training partner also has to keep the ball on so has to use 65-75% force resulting in a weaker, less spinny, loop... just keep the same ball going and going... I know people he do not drop the ball for 5 minutes)

This is a definite advantage of the FastArc over the Tenergy, as when the loops are faster and spinnier.... you will be able to use a natural angle and not have to close too much - which requires time and effort and often the blocker can be too late to close effectively vs a very spinny fast loop.

One of the reasons I am going to try Calibra LT spin over the Rakza 7 soft is precisely this - effectiveness for blocking.
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP
hhca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2014 at 9:15pm
good review. as a pen holder doing RPB, I had the same issue with fast long balls to my backhand especially when there are deceiving top/back spins.

I am using 5Q now and am relatively satisfied with it paired with a dhs 506 blade. I've used the hammon proB before and was happy with it. 5Q probably has more power than proB in top spin rallies.
strongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2014 at 9:29pm
Awesome review schen, thank you.

I really like the G1, but I had to boost it to get the speed and feel I wanted, plus the sheet I had was too heavy at 52g. The C1 sounds worth a try, sponge sounds a bit too soft for me however....maybe just try on the BH.

Edited by strongpong - 09/07/2014 at 9:32pm
Blade: Viscaria
Rubber: FH Tenergy 80, BH Tenergy 80

Trading Feedback
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 6:09am
It seems an ideal rubber for the fh,speed of 64 and spin of 05 (more or less I don't care) is it a good fh rubber?
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
vishal_dindoyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vishal_dindoyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 7:57am
I found the FA C1 to be a little bit too soft for my FH. I'm used to harder rubbers on the FH though.
peteleco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteleco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 11:44am
just got 1 in my hands,
gonna make a review tomorrow.
Jun Mizutani - FL
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 4:22pm
Hard don't make sense with the new poly ball, you need the ball to sink and stay longer , so medium soft would be the new trend I think. That's why I am asking about c1!
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
Matthew.h View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew.h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 7:25pm
I tested it this weekend and i must say I am a little bit disappointed. My block did not work at all. I have only been playing with the new poly boll, maybe it´s a bad combination? 

Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2014 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Matthew.h Matthew.h wrote:

My block did not work at all.
What rubber did you play before? I could be a question of adjusting the blade angle (maybe due to softer sponge than before?). I played with S-1 (same sponge as C-1) and had the same problem coming from Tenergy 05. In my 2nd session with it the block worked very well after adjusting the angle.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2014 at 1:32am
C-1 has a medium soft sponge, but the feeling seems harder than it is in reality because of the topsheet (same principle as the Tenergy series using the same sponge but having different feel because of the pips structure).  I think it may need some boosting to really be effective with the poly ball, but to stay under the 4mm legal limit I may need to step down a thickness because unboosted 2.0mm combined with the topsheet is already very close to the max.  

Blocks just behave differently than with Tenergy.  Even as a penholder with an rpb block that is naturally in a closed angle, it only took me a few sessions to get fully adjusted with no more problems.

Dynasty / H3 / H3
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 12:40am
@clarence247 not similar. LT spin is linear, fast, with a stiga+hurricane feel. fastarc is like speed-glued bryce with a taut tensor topsheet instead of the smooth butterfly type which i prefer, but perma-speed glue effect beats that out!
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic