FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Update me plz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update me plz
    Posted: 09/11/2014 at 7:22pm
Ok so because I stopped playing TT for almost 4 years I have become out of the loop with all the newer rubbers since then. 
I would love for people to share what rubbers would be close to feeling/playing like the old soft tensor rubbers. Like the Genius Sound, or Nimbus Sound, Energy Xtra.
You can give me comparisons to Tenergy05 and 64 too if it helps. The obvious ones being that Tenergy 05 is very very spinny. Used to be far ahead of everything before, but with the drawback of being very very sensitive to spin too. Of course not comparing it with the Chinese rubbers as they are very spinny too.

But in general now what sort of rubbers can give that very soft feeling, LOUD sound and high control those really soft tensors gave, they had great mechanical spin I loved it.
Maybe can tell me ones with nice colour sponges like black or blue LOL
Those Xiom black coloured sponges look so nice but so many got no idea which ones are like the softest tensors IF they even are.

Thanks in advance
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
Sponsored Links

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 7:53pm
Tenergy 05 FX might give you that nice sound with plenty of durability and spin. According to Brian Pace's review it is suitable for all kinds of experience levels.

Tibhar MXP Evolution is another great one from all the reviews I've read on here. Have not used it myself, the sponge is comparable to stiga airoc series as shown in yogi bear's review.

There are a lot of tenergy like rubbers out there but IMO everyone compares them to tenergy so it really set a nice benchmark for other companies. If you are looking for a very durable tensor like rubber with great spin and speed I would try out any of the tenergy FX series, for more control you can always get it at 1.9mm thickness.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 7:55pm
if you want something similar to the Genius sound but faster, more durable and spinnier. try tibhar's 5Q sound power series or FX-P evolution to maintain the soft feeling that you want.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 8:11pm
Just use the rubbers you left behind - you won't miss much.  My coach used new tensors for a while then went back to Mark V which was his old favorite.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 8:11pm
I never got the chance to try Tenergy FX unfortunately but its the same topsheet which is just too sensitive to spin which for me is lack of control for blocks and counter drives. Of course it then gives more control to your attacking shot but thats assuming you have correctly judged the spin on the ball.

Genius Sound was definitely my least preferred soft tensor as it had more "real" spin and less "mechanical" spin than Nimbus Sound and Energy Xtra. 
So if by more spin you mean mechanical then yeah sounds nice, but if its more of the real spin then it means will be more sensitive to incoming spin.

I will check out and do some research on the 5Q Sound rubber your talking about.

I only mentioned Tenergy to compare too because it is the most popular rubber so easiest for people to compare too and I did play tenergy for quite a while too
Stiga Clipper
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Just use the rubbers you left behind - you won't miss much.  My coach used new tensors for a while then went back to Mark V which was his old favorite.

Its more to do with feeling and sound than anything else. But these soft tensors really gave great control for blocks and defensive play while giving a fantastic arc on loops because of the mechanical spin.

Mark V are no doubt great rubbers but lack feeling, or at least the feeling i like. Mark V imo has less control too, more sensitive to incoming spin.
Stiga Clipper
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

I never got the chance to try Tenergy FX unfortunately but its the same topsheet which is just too sensitive to spin which for me is lack of control for blocks and counter drives. Of course it then gives more control to your attacking shot but thats assuming you have correctly judged the spin on the ball.

Genius Sound was definitely my least preferred soft tensor as it had more "real" spin and less "mechanical" spin than Nimbus Sound and Energy Xtra. 
So if by more spin you mean mechanical then yeah sounds nice, but if its more of the real spin then it means will be more sensitive to incoming spin.

I will check out and do some research on the 5Q Sound rubber your talking about.

I only mentioned Tenergy to compare too because it is the most popular rubber so easiest for people to compare too and I did play tenergy for quite a while too

I understand. Tenergy is not for everyone.

If you want something similar to Energy Xtra, Yasaka Xtend HS is in the same family. Its an old rubber but still a step above Mark V since its a tensor. Great on BH. I've used it on a YEO as my BH rubber. Was great for blocks, drives, pushes, not very sensitive to spin. Felt soft on the YEO.

It is also a very linear rubber. It does what you put into it, so its good for slow passive blocks and fast active strokes. Sound as I remember was clicky, and durability was decent.

I'm not really familiar with the term "mechanical spin", I think I know what you are talking about but someone might have to refresh my TT IQ on this one. To me spin is spin and it all depends on how well one can produce it, no matter what rubber one is using.

Edited by DreiZ - 09/11/2014 at 8:51pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 8:53pm
so after 8 years on the forum and having used tenergy for quite a while you want people to compare it to soft sound rubbers that you have been using for quite a while
 just do what yogi suggested and get a new sound if you like soft loud rubbers
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 9:31pm

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Its more to do with feeling and sound than anything else. But these soft tensors really gave great control for blocks and defensive play while giving a fantastic arc on loops because of the mechanical spin.

Mark V<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> are no doubt great rubbers but lack feeling, or at least the feeling i like. Mark V imo has less control too, more sensitive to incoming spin.</span>

My point was to use whatever you liked before, not that you should use whaty coach uses. Genius still plays well if you liked it. Probably still relatively cheap too.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 11:27pm
i would continue playing with a new sheet of genius you know how it plays and its still a good rubber. As far as feel and sound are concerened  why do you think that's just the rubber and not the blade as wellWink

its a slippery slope just keep playing with what you have and if its speed away from table or "throw angle" issues then look for a change, everything else is just technique. My 2 cents.

BTW omega V pro is a cool rubber with black sponge  Big smile
clannewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clannewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 12:55am
Tenergy 80fx is less sensitive to incoming spin compared to 05 but is still soft and clicky.
Nittaku Violin FL-L
FH Donic Bluefire m-1 max
BH Donic Bluefire m-2 max
Cocoa Beach TTC, Florida
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 3:57am
I think a few people have misunderstood a bit. 
I am just asking for updates on the newer rubbers and how they play if people could compare them to the older generation of rubbers. I mentioned that they can use Tenergy as example if its easier for them. So for example the xiom type rubbers or maybe the bluefire series. Of course I prefer to compare to the rubbers I mentioned, just giving options. Someone might not have tried Nimbus Sound to compare it to but has tried Acuda S3 and Tenergy. Catch my drift?
Genius Sound I am not a big fan of. And I am not switching to anything till new year, I reglued rubbers and they dont fit the blade lol but will be getting new stuff come new year.
Was just hoping to get some info on the black and blue sponge rubbers comparing them to the rubbers i mentioned.

So let me change the question a bit.
Can anyone update me on the softest Xiom, Bluefire M3, Acuda S3, Calibra lt sound.
If possible comparing it to old soft tensors like Nimbus Sound, Energy Xtra, Express 2.

Yogi thanks for suggestion, I checked the 5Q is just so expensive but it shows the hardness on the hardness scale at a nice lvl so I will look into it more, but damn that price lol. Is the sponge supposed to be copy of spring sponge?
They give less info on the evolution fx, no scale :( 
Stiga Clipper
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 4:17am
Q series rubbers are more expensive than evolution, don't know why
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 5:36am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Q series rubbers are more expensive than evolution, don't know why

Yeah not sure why they do that. Maybe the 5Qs have different sponge. I managed to find 1 really good review on the Evolution fx and the guy even compared it to Genius Sound which he used to use. So I am quite updated with that now. Not been so successful on the 5Q yet though, but the price is very off putting anyway.

I would imagine a lot will change by the time 2015 comes along, will be interesting to see what comes out
Stiga Clipper
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 6:59am

...But in general now what sort of rubbers can give that very soft feeling, LOUD sound and high control those really soft tensors gave, they had great mechanical spin I loved it....

Sounds like you are describing the Stiga Tour S. It is soft, total mechanical and not sensitive to incoming spin. But it sure does not play like any other rubber out there because of the rough and non-sticky top sheet.  
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 7:02am
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

...But in general now what sort of rubbers can give that very soft feeling, LOUD sound and high control those really soft tensors gave, they had great mechanical spin I loved it....

Sounds like you are describing the Stiga Tour S. It is soft, total mechanical and not sensitive to incoming spin. But it sure does not play like any other rubber out there because of the rough and non-sticky top sheet.  

Thanks for that info Smile 
I never had the opportunity to try or ask someone in person about it, but it seemed like that kind of rubber.
Stiga Clipper
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic