Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Penhold Player, Finger Pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
crepesack View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crepesack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Penhold Player, Finger Pain
    Posted: 09/16/2014 at 2:22am
I played ping pong very casually as a kid and always as a penhold player. I recently started playing more seriously in the last 3-4 months. I even learned RBP from a coach. However I'm getting finger pain in my middle finger from having it parallel to the blade. I would use the curled finger method but my rbp would suffer.

Should I switch to shake hand since I've only just started playing? I worry that I might cause permanent damage to my joints and tendons.
Sponsored Links

schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 3:54am
There are many ways to grip the blade with penhold that will still allow for rpb and it's a matter of trying them all to see what is ergonomically best for you.

I remember having thumb and middle finger pains when I first started but a few months later, I either got used to it or adjusted my grip naturally without thinking about it.  Maybe try to include more ring finger support on the backhand side of your blade to offload some of the pressure from your middle finger if you don't want to curl your fingers too much?

It would help to take a picture of your grip for better critique.  
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 4:00am
Sounds like your setup may be too heavy.
Whats the weight of it?

And is the pain on the joint or on the finger tip or on the edge of the nail?
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 4:37am
I remember i have wrist pain when training hard. and i got a wrist band to help relieve. I believe it did relief my finger stress too.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 6:30am
I have pain on index finger touching the blade when starting but never on middle finger. I wonder what is wrong there.  
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 9:24am
I also have never had pain in my middle finger. The only thing that I can come up with is that you are squeezing to hard. I agree with schen that a picture of your grip would help diagnose your problem. The fingers can have a slight curve and do not have to lay straight and flat against the blade. WH and MLin tend have a curve in the fingers with just the pad/tips of the middle and ring finger touching the blade, whereas XX lays his fingers Straight and flat against the blade. 

Edited by V-Griper - 09/16/2014 at 2:10pm
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH
a23096713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a23096713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 9:31am
You can buy a cork sheet and put it where your middle finger is, and glue the RPB a bit off allow the gap for your cork sheet. If there are more bigger area of contact point for your finger, less stress will be on a particular area.

OR you could do classic penholder. It is a bit difficult to deal with backhand shot with no RPB, but it's not impossible. (Ryu Seung Min, and Yoshida Kaii are great example of a back hand mid table loop) It just VERY difficult to do it well.

Edited by a23096713 - 09/16/2014 at 9:32am
Chop, Chop, and Counter Loop!

BTY Cutlass + Tackiness D + Feint OX
TSP Astron Yellow + Yasaka Original + Nittaku pimplemini One
TSP Yanagi + UQ + BTY OX
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 10:37am
Pain in the midddle finger. Got to say that's weird.

Need more information.

Is your middle finger mostly flush against the rubber? Or is it more off it and only touching the rubber at your finger tips?

If it's the ladder, I could see how pressing too hard could cause stress or side joint pressure on that middle finger bending it in a way it's not suppose to go.

Honestly, since you're having finger pain, I would say adopt a curved finger (almost curled) approach. I think if you watch a lot of pro players who play cpen, their fingers are pretty curved anyways. I think it allows for greater hitting area on that backside with your fingers out of the way.

It takes a little time to get use to it but once you're there, it's fine.

Also on a side note, I also like the curved fingers approach for twiddling. It's virtually impossible (for me at least) to do it quickly with more straight fingers. All in all, I promote the very curved finger approach in all aspects. Just my two cents.

Edited by suds79 - 09/16/2014 at 10:39am
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 12:12pm
I think that your total blade/rubbers total weight may be too heavy.
You may try to find a lighter blade and use lighter rubbers. Also,
if you use a head heavy blade such as WRB, it will also cause
pain (very tired of fingers) so you can try a non-WRB blade or
make your balance towards the handle.
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by crepesack crepesack wrote:

However I'm getting finger pain in my middle finger from having it parallel to the blade. I would use the curled finger method but my rbp would suffer.

You are probably straightening your middle finger and pressing on it too hard.
Try curl you fingers at the back of the blade a bit.  Not "stacked".  Contact the back of the blade with both the middle and ring fingers. 
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 6:30pm
If you still use the traditional BH, you can try Wang JJ's grip.  If your fingers still hurt, curl them a little bit more.  Don't stack them though, or there will be too much strain on the wrist and your rpb accuracy will suffer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_fpbkzp-7o
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 5:34pm
I would try a lighter racket, and it´s important that your hand is relaxed and that you are not holding it to tight. 
bayttplayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bayttplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2014 at 6:09pm

My personal advice is Yes..switch to shake hand..

Is same happen to my middle finger.

I have been using Penhold with RBP for years, my middle finger became bends..

So I switch to SH last year, I’m comfortable with it now.

Innerforce-ZLC FL + H3 + T80

crepesack View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crepesack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2014 at 10:07pm
I am using a hand-me-down blade that was given to me as a gift. I think it is rather heavy.

It's Butterfly ZLC carbon + 2x Tenergy 64.
 And yes it is my knuckle closest to the palm that hurts.  Would cutting away extraneous rubber from the BH side and replacing it with corksheet help with the weight?

I was actually thinking of just buying a lighter shakehand set up that I could also use penhold to try both ways.

Edited by crepesack - 09/23/2014 at 10:31pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2014 at 11:35pm
No amount of weight reduction is going to alleviate the pain that originates from a malfunctioning grip.

Consider switching to shakehand. Easy way out since you're just starting out.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2014 at 1:31am
Your set up is quite heavy.
I agree with zeio regarding your grip.
Problems I see:
-For sure your middle finger will hurt.  Too straight and extended.
-Not a good grip to do either TBH or RPB.  Your index finger is locking your blade so it is hard to do TBH.  You fingers are extended at the back of the blade, leaving very little area to do RPB.
-Grip is too tight.  Extending fingers at the back doesn't necessary mean a tight grip. Many JPen and KPen players extend their fingers but with a relaxed grip.  Again, tight grip gives sored fingers.
crepesack View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crepesack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2014 at 11:08am
I looked up the problem and some other members on this site had  some same issues. Most said that it was transient dissipated after awhile. Others suggested different types of penhold grip. My teacher in particular uses a curled finger type hold. He suggested it to me but let me continue my straightened fingers if it was more comfortable. I guess since it's being uncomfortable I'll get him to help me work on that.

I'll try a different forum and see if there are any other tips.

Edited by crepesack - 09/24/2014 at 11:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic