Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hit-Brush Explained

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hit-Brush Explained
    Posted: 09/17/2014 at 2:56pm
Most comprehensive discussion I've come across about hitting-brushing when looping. Be great if someone has time to translate it for others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo5L4vx5n7s

My reactions/summary after first viewing:

1. It is satisfying to see finally an instructor using graphics to discuss the relationship between blade and swing angles, and the types of contact they produce.

2. The instructor talks about the very short duration of contact, and explains that it is impossible to first hit into the ball and then, upon feeling the contact, reflexively close the blade to brush the ball, because the ball will have already left the rubber. (Finally, an instructor, someone with (some?) authority on this topic, admitting this.)

3. The instructor then talks about how hit-brush should be achieved: by continuously and progressively closing the blade --- before, during, and after contact.

4. The instructor, however, doesn't discuss how much the blade angle actually changes during contact and whether that change is consequential.

5. The instructor goes on to discuss the timing demand of progressively closing the blade in the manner discussed.

5. Until I see evidence suggesting otherwise, I still believe that the action of closing the blade through contact can provide additional acceleration, but nothing more beyond that. I do not agree that the action produces a "special" kind of contact which some people (including the instructor in the video perhaps?) believe to be the key or "essence" of the loop.

Sponsored Links

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 2:58pm
Part 2 but I have yet to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpt-B__Ql1w
hhca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 5:38pm
indeed very good. He was a former provincial team player from Jiangsu.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 6:04pm
Racquetsforsale, what do you mean by closing the blade through contact and why don't you agree it is the essence of the loop?

Do you have a USATT rating or estimate?

I ask both to understand your statement as well as understand whether you can at least reproduce what experts do on a consistent basis since you seem to disagree with either their mechanics or their interpretation of the essence of such mechanics.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 6:15pm
Yeah, I always thought the racket angle should remain constant through the swing.  I guess I wouldn't be shocked if there was some high-level technique where you closed the racket through the swing.  I guess he is saying you plan on closing it and through the swing and close it at a predetermined rate?  This as opposed to feeling the ball and closing it on contact, which I don't do either, I don't think.

I guess you could build that into muscle memory.  Sounds like a recipe for inconsistency, but I guess if you're already super good and looking for any edge...
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Racquetsforsale, what do you mean by closing the blade through contact and why don't you agree it is the essence of the loop?

Do you have a USATT rating or estimate?

I ask both to understand your statement as well as understand whether you can at least reproduce what experts do on a consistent basis since you seem to disagree with either their mechanics or their interpretation of the essence of such mechanics.

NextLevel,

I do not have an USATT rating.

The instructor in the video explains that one must start to change the blade angle (closing it) before contact and continuing to close it through contact. If my translation or interpretation is incorrect, I welcome a correction.

Please elaborate on what effects you know is produced by closing of the blade as described in the video.

I don't disagree with the mechanics of the pros. I just often disagree with the descriptions of those mechanics when the descriptions are not consistent with what I see.
hhca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 6:56pm
he was talking to change the blade angle using wrist. Indeed this is an advanced technique. He also mentioned that this is only possible when the ball is slow. very down to earth and reasonable illustration and explaination.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 7:00pm
racquetsforsale,

Thanks.  Some estimate of your playing strength would still be helpful.  I have found in my personal experience that the game people watch as casual observers is not the game that the pros play, and the more I learn, the more I realize I had no clue what was happening. 

Many things that pros do is not easily observed without either slowing down the camera or understanding the amount of practice and physical training they have used to make the difficult become easy.  I gave an example of one of those things in my thread on how serving practice helped improve my game.  It's easy to think that the pros are swing as hard as the ball as they can when they are taking relatively relaxed swings compared to their full power.  Yet many beginners try to hit the ball as hard as they can to emulate pros rather than doing work on their physique and keeping proper form.

What I have found in my practice is that the trajectory of the racket through contact, which is affected either by changing the racket angle or the swing trajectory through contract, can impart more rotational action on the ball (Vs. hitting action). 

Do you roll a ball by just pushing it off center, or pushing it around the center?  Both are possible, but the amount of force that goes into rotating the ball vs driving the ball is larger in the second scenario than the first scenario, all other things being equal.

I used to subscribe to the school of thought that argued that all that was important was what happened at contact until I realized that the trajectory of the stroke can make a difference to the amount of spin imparted as well as the path the ball moved through.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/17/2014 at 7:08pm
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 7:42pm
NextLevel,

Thanks for your insightful reply.

The only "estimate" I've ever received is from a looping-chopping session with a chopper who was rated USATT 2000 perhaps, (I was told that he regularly played against 2000-2200 players). He told me my loops had quality and he believed that I could reach 2000 in no time if I trained more frequently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're talking about generating more rotation by rolling the blade along the surface of the ball vs just brushing it tangentially.

If you can refer to the beginning of the video when the instructor talks about the angles on the board. Note the angle "alpha" which represents the difference between the blade angle and the swing angle. He explains that when alpha is smaller, there's more brushing, and when it is larger, there's more hitting. I agree. How much do you think this angle alpha actually changes for the duration of the contact, when the ball is in contact with the topsheet, when you actively close the blade as described in the video?

My contention is that this rolling action might produce additional blade head speed, which can be used to produce more spin, but it doesn't produce any kind of "special" contact, like allowing one to roll along the curved surface of the ball.

ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 8:07pm
If the ball stays on the racket for a few mili-seconds, the ball won't feel the racket angle change, with the rate you're closing it through the swing...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

NextLevel,

Thanks for your insightful reply.

The only "estimate" I've ever received is from a looping-chopping session with a chopper who was rated USATT 2000 perhaps, (I was told that he regularly played against 2000-2200 players). He told me my loops had quality and he believed that I could reach 2000 in no time if I trained more frequently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're talking about generating more rotation by rolling the blade along the surface of the ball vs just brushing it tangentially.

If you can refer to the beginning of the video when the instructor talks about the angles on the board. Note the angle "alpha" which represents the difference between the blade angle and the swing angle. He explains that when alpha is smaller, there's more brushing, and when it is larger, there's more hitting. I agree. How much do you think this angle alpha actually changes for the duration of the contact, when the ball is in contact with the topsheet, when you actively close the blade as described in the video?

My contention is that this rolling action might produce additional blade head speed, which can be used to produce more spin, but it doesn't produce any kind of "special" contact, like allowing one to roll along the curved surface of the ball.

I think the way to approach it is to try it and see what happens, which was what I did and why I concluded what I concluded.  And you will see pronouncedly different ball trajectories if you swing without varying this alpha and if you do, whether when serving or when looping.  The question is why.  It is quite possible that the curved trajectory of the paddle does translate to a different spin vector than a straight trajectory of the paddle and I think I have explained why - you make less direct contact with the ball and more rotational contact.  It might be possible that you are right and all that matters is the racket angle and speed at contact.  But my point is that this difference is observable in practice, whether when hook looping, slow spinning etc.  You can get more brush by going round the ball.  The explanation might be your explanation, but phenomenon is real in my experience.  We had a player here in the past who probably couldn't loop beyond a 1500 level deny this  - that is why I am asking about your level because it's one thing to have performed these strokes successfully and deny the explanation, but it is another to deny the phenomenon you are trying to explain altogether when you have never performed it.
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 10:07pm
NextLevel,

What differences in your loops do you observe when you do change "alpha" during contact?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 10:16pm

NextLevel,

What differences in your loops do you observe when you do change "alpha" during contact?

The ball curves more during flight.  Remember, you can do this while serving as well.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/17/2014 at 10:16pm
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 10:28pm

NextLevel,

The ball curves more during flight.  Remember, you can do this while serving as well.

And this cannot be replicated without changing "alpha" during contact?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 10:33pm

NextLevel,

And this cannot be replicated without changing "alpha" during contact?

Well, explain to me how you go around a ball without making a circular motion.  IF you do, then that would answer your question.  The point is not that you cannot spin the ball, but that you cannot create a larger spin vector for the same paddle speed without changing alpha.  The alternative would likely be a very risky stroke as it reduces the amount of contact you will make with the ball from the start.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/17/2014 at 10:34pm
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 10:57pm
It comes down to how much alpha can be changed during contact, which is limited by how quickly one can close the paddle, and whether that amount is large enough to influence the ball.

Say changing alpha requires a really fast rotation. Then the next question would be how much effort and follow-thru would be needed to stop that rotation, and what would the physical motion look like.

If the requirement to stop the rotation in time limits the rotation to a certain speed and if that speed is not enough to influence the ball, then the rotation does not produce a special type of contact.

I believe the rotation establishes a particular angle alpha at contact by progressively "getting to it" before contact and then establishing it at contact. Other than perhaps additional acceleration achieved by the rotation, I don't see, at the moment, how this is different from establishing that exact same alpha before and during contact.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 11:25pm

It comes down to how much alpha can be changed during contact, which is limited by how quickly one can close the paddle, and whether that amount is large enough to influence the ball.

Say changing alpha requires a really fast rotation. Then the next question would be how much effort and follow-thru would be needed to stop that rotation, and what would the physical motion look like.

If the requirement to stop the rotation in time limits the rotation to a certain speed and if that speed is not enough to influence the ball, then the rotation does not produce a special type of contact.

I believe the rotation establishes a particular angle alpha at contact by progressively "getting to it" before contact and then establishing it at contact. Other than perhaps additional acceleration achieved by the rotation, I don't see, at the moment, how this is different from establishing that exact same alpha before and during contact.

So what is your point here?  I can't follow what you are saying.  The point for a table tennis player is not whether changing alpha is possible, but whether it affects the stroke in a way that has benefits.  The practical value comes first and the physics explanation comes after.

a) changing alpha has no value because it doesn't improve the looper's stroke
b) changing alpha is not possible because of the time scale involved
c) changing alpha is not effective because it does not affect the ball trajectory
d) changing alpha is not necessary because you could start out with the right alpha and finish with the right alpha
e) changing alpha is important but the reason has nothing to do with the spin created vs keeping alpha constant throughout the stroke.

Check those that apply.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/17/2014 at 11:35pm
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 2:24am
By the way, there are looping motions that open the blade through contact. Just wanted to point that out as well.
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 3:32pm

So what is your point here?  I can't follow what you are saying.  The point for a table tennis player is not whether changing alpha is possible, but whether it affects the stroke in a way that has benefits.  The practical value comes first and the physics explanation comes after.

a) changing alpha has no value because it doesn't improve the looper's stroke
b) changing alpha is not possible because of the time scale involved
c) changing alpha is not effective because it does not affect the ball trajectory
d) changing alpha is not necessary because you could start out with the right alpha and finish with the right alpha
e) changing alpha is important but the reason has nothing to do with the spin created vs keeping alpha constant throughout the stroke.

Check those that apply.

1. Changing alpha through contact does NOT produce a special kind of contact between rubber and ball. It does NOT allow one to first hit then brush the ball, roll over the ball, or brush around the ball.

2. Changing alpha through contact might change the overall shape of the swing (making it more concave down?). Nevertheless, that still merely establishes a particular alpha and a particular swing angle AT contact. These two parameters are effectively constant during contact, despite one's effort to change them, because the duration of contact is so short.

3. Why progressively approach a particular alpha and particular swing angle at contact, if they can be established prior to and maintained during contact? Perhaps the arm action involved in closing the blade through contact provides additional acceleration, which can contribute to additional ball speed and/or spin.

4. All else being equal, at contact these are the parameters that determine the speed, launch angle, and amount of spin of your shot: swing speed, swing angle, blade angle, angle of the tangent of the incoming ball's trajectory. Whatever combination of these parameters that changing alpha through contact can achieve, one can just as well achieve the same combination without changing alpha through contact. I hope this clears up my follow-up question in response to your earlier statement that "the ball curves more during flight" when you change alpha through contact. If you contend that changing alpha during contact achieves special combinations of the aforementioned parameters that cannot be replicated otherwise, then I disagree.

5. You did mention one thing that I agree might be a possibility: for the SAME amount of perceived effort, changing alpha through contact might achieve a combination of the aforementioned parameters that CANNOT be replicated otherwise. This ties into to my conjecture that the action of changing alpha through contact might produce additional acceleration and in turn higher swing speed at contact.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 5:21pm
It occurs to me that there may be one benefit to closing the racket angle just before contact.   For counter-looping against strong topspin the desired angle might be so closed that it would be very easy to hit the edge of the racket (or missing the ball completely).  By closing just before contact you can approach the ball at an angle which poses little threat of hitting the edge of the racket and then by closing it get the full benefit of hitting with the very closed angle that is best for that particular incoming ball.

This still requires a high level of timing skill.  But I think it is more plausibly accomplished than rotating the racket while the ball is in contact with the rubber.  

Another reason that I believe that you do not want to be rotating the racket while in contact with the ball stems from what I have seen of where the ball contacts the blade.  Slow motion video I watched indicates that the ball is struck slightly below the center of the racket (below the centerline running from handle through tip).  If you are rotating the racket closed during contact you are actually moving the blade backwards (at least relative to how it would be traveling without rotation).  That would seem to be taking a lot of power away from the shot.

I have another idea why this closing might be helpful.  I have observed a natural tendency for the racket face to slightly open as the swing goes forward.  It actually takes a little effort to keep the racket angle constant.  Having the thought of closing the racket at contact might help in making sure that the racket angle does not open as you approach the contact point.

Anyway that is my two-cents worth.

Mark
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 5:57pm

1. Changing alpha through contact does NOT produce a special kind of contact between rubber and ball. It does NOT allow one to first hit then brush the ball, roll over the ball, or brush around the ball.

Technically true but misses the practical point.  One may not be literally hitting then brushing the ball, but there is probably nothing like a pure hit and nothing like pure spin - the real question is whether it allows one to add significantly more spin to the ball or not by converting a hitting motion into a spinning motion.
2. Changing alpha through contact might change the overall shape of the swing (making it more concave down?). Nevertheless, that still merely establishes a particular alpha and a particular swing angle AT contact. These two parameters are effectively constant during contact, despite one's effort to change them, because the duration of contact is so short.

This still needs to be proven.  There is no reason that the trajectory of the racket isn't a vector input to the ball trajectory as well as opposed to a scalar input.

3. Why progressively approach a particular alpha and particular swing angle at contact, if they can be established prior to and maintained during contact? Perhaps the arm action involved in closing the blade through contact provides additional acceleration, which can contribute to additional ball speed and/or spin.

This is related to point 1 and I hinted at it, but you are still overstressing the physics at the expense of the pedagogy.  Even if one ceded the physics, the point of table tennis is to be consistent and make dangerous shots.  The best speed comes from hitting the ball hard.  The best spin comes from off center contact.  The most blade face for contacting the ball comes from flat contact.  So changing the angle while approaching the ball allows you to make safe contact while trying to contact the ball off center, giving the best of both worlds.   It might also create additional acceleration or other things, but when you think about the hitting element and to the hitting element, you add the off-center contact/brushing element that comes with changing the angle through the stroke, you can see why one might consider that closing of the paddle the essence of looping.

4. All else being equal, at contact these are the parameters that determine the speed, launch angle, and amount of spin of your shot: swing speed, swing angle, blade angle, angle of the tangent of the incoming ball's trajectory. Whatever combination of these parameters that changing alpha through contact can achieve, one can just as well achieve the same combination without changing alpha through contact. I hope this clears up my follow-up question in response to your earlier statement that "the ball curves more during flight" when you change alpha through contact. If you contend that changing alpha during contact achieves special combinations of the aforementioned parameters that cannot be replicated otherwise, then I disagree.

I am not sure this is true.  It might very well be true given that calculus is based on this kind of thinking.  But the question of whether there is theoretical equivalent and whether that equivalent can be replicated by human beings are separate questions (and there is still the possibility that there are other practical issues with not changing alpha through contact like the reliability of the stroke). 

5. You did mention one thing that I agree might be a possibility: for the SAME amount of perceived effort, changing alpha through contact might achieve a combination of the aforementioned parameters that CANNOT be replicated otherwise. This ties into to my conjecture that the action of changing alpha through contact might produce additional acceleration and in turn higher swing speed at contact.

I was thinking more along the lines of the practical benefit of a given technique like the risk of missing the ball.  Moreover, as I have pointed out, people have claimed that there is no benefit to covering the ball.  But what one has to explain is not whether there is any benefit or not, but why a stroke that covers the ball seems to arc differently from one that does not.  I see it in my practice, but I can be misconceiving what is happening.  I just would prefer that your explanation take into account and explain what people see rather than starting from a position based on what is expected to be true.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/19/2014 at 6:00pm
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

It occurs to me that there may be one benefit to closing the racket angle just before contact.   For counter-looping against strong topspin the desired angle might be so closed that it would be very easy to hit the edge of the racket (or missing the ball completely).  By closing just before contact you can approach the ball at an angle which poses little threat of hitting the edge of the racket and then by closing it get the full benefit of hitting with the very closed angle that is best for that particular incoming ball.

This still requires a high level of timing skill.  But I think it is more plausibly accomplished than rotating the racket while the ball is in contact with the rubber.  

Another reason that I believe that you do not want to be rotating the racket while in contact with the ball stems from what I have seen of where the ball contacts the blade.  Slow motion video I watched indicates that the ball is struck slightly below the center of the racket (below the centerline running from handle through tip).  If you are rotating the racket closed during contact you are actually moving the blade backwards (at least relative to how it would be traveling without rotation).  That would seem to be taking a lot of power away from the shot.

I have another idea why this closing might be helpful.  I have observed a natural tendency for the racket face to slightly open as the swing goes forward.  It actually takes a little effort to keep the racket angle constant.  Having the thought of closing the racket at contact might help in making sure that the racket angle does not open as you approach the contact point.

Anyway that is my two-cents worth.

/DIV]
Mark

Good points, mjamja.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 6:40pm
It's interesting that we both agree with mjamja but not necessarily with each other.
Cybershape Carbon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 7:19pm
NextLevel,

1. "Technically true but misses the practical point. One may not be literally hitting then brushing the ball, but there is probably nothing like a pure hit and nothing like pure spin - the real question is whether it allows one to add significantly more spin to the ball or not by converting a hitting motion into a spinning motion."

Do you agree that, all else being equal, the larger alpha is, the more one's hitting the ball, and the smaller alpha is, the more one is brushing the ball? Do you also agree that spin is maximized when alpha is zero? I don't believed I've missed the point. I pointed out the possibility that the arm action of closing the blade might create additional acceleration, contributing to additional ball speed and/or spin.

2. "This still needs to be proven. There is no reason that the trajectory of the racket isn't a vector input to the ball trajectory as well as opposed to a scalar input."

I agree that it still needs to be proven. I'm looking forward to the day we have actual footage. I AM treating the trajectory of the racket as a vector, not just as a scalar. I mentioned "a particular" swing angle at contact," meaning the swing vector AT contact. Yes, you can change this vector. All I'm saying is I don't think you can change it enough during contact to affect the ball, because contact is so short. Again, waiting for the footage.

3. "This is related to point 1 and I hinted at it, but you are still overstressing the physics at the expense of the pedagogy. Even if one ceded the physics, the point of table tennis is to be consistent and make dangerous shots. The best speed comes from hitting the ball hard. The best spin comes from off center contact. The most blade face for contacting the ball comes from flat contact. So changing the angle while approaching the ball allows you to make safe contact while trying to contact the ball off center, giving the best of both worlds.   It might also create additional acceleration or other things, but when you think about the hitting element and to the hitting element, you add the off-center contact/brushing element that comes with changing the angle through the stroke, you can see why one might consider that closing of the paddle the essence of looping."

I'm not missing the pedagogy. I take issue when the reasoning or justification behind what is being taught or revealed is possibly bogus. There are many folks out there who still believe that you first hit the ball into the sponge, THEN START closing the blade! You mention that "changing the angle while approaching the ball allows you to make SAFE contact. The instructor in the video advises that this technique should be done only when the incoming ball is SLOW, when looping underspin for example. He demonstrates this in the video. He also explains that this technique is risky when the incoming ball is fast, because if the blade is not closed enough, the ball might go out, and if too closed, the ball might go into the net. It doesn't sound like to him that the added value of this technique is additional safety margin.

5. "I was thinking more along the lines of the practical benefit of a given technique like the risk of missing the ball. Moreover, as I have pointed out, people have claimed that there is no benefit to covering the ball. But what one has to explain is not whether there is any benefit or not, but why a stroke that covers the ball seems to arc differently from one that does not. I see it in my practice, but I can be misconceiving what is happening. I just would prefer that your explanation take into account and explain what people see rather than starting from a position based on what is expected to be true."

Arcing differently...that just means the parameters AT contact, the ones I mentioned before, are different from those you produce with your regular swing. Perhaps when you're closing the blade through contact, you unconsciously swing at a different speed, swinging at a different angle, establishing a different blade angle at contact, changing your timing, etc, whatever. All these things can be accomplished without closing the blade through contact as well.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2014 at 11:43pm
I see a lot of discussions back and forth,but does any current player of note use this hit brush?
winterdrops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winterdrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 6:20am
Can you add full subtitles of the coach? I think it is better to see full of conversation for suitable evaluation.

Edited by winterdrops - 09/20/2014 at 6:23am
Stiga Infinity
Fh: Bluefire M2

Bh: Evolution ELP
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 9:45am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

I see a lot of discussions back and forth,but does any current player of note use this hit brush?

It's the standard looping stroke.  Advanced players do everything so fast you need to slow things down to see them do it on camera.
Cybershape Carbon
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 12:24pm

Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

It's the standard looping stroke.  Advanced players do everything so fast you need to slow things down to see them do it on camera.
really? This seems like an interesting topic so I asked an ex Chinese provincial player about the term ”hit brush" in English since my Chinese is poor. Right away she stated the term in Chinese and said this is a technique taught to little kids, herself included to help with their physical limitation to generate more power. Can you post a link that shows this technique in competitioun, preferably in slow-mo

Edited by tom - 09/20/2014 at 12:26pm
Jinami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 3:38pm
Thanks for sharing racquetsforsale. Through this I discovered pingpangwang.com which seems to have a lot of valuable content.
JOOLA Viva - DHS Skyline TG3 Neo / JOOLA Rhyzm
Xiom Zetro Quad - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo / Butterfly Tenergy 80
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2014 at 7:03pm
Tom, read the whole thread.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic