Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

All backhands - Is this a right advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PingPongTom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All backhands - Is this a right advice?
    Posted: 09/18/2014 at 8:23am
A kid in my club often turns up one hour or 75 minutes before the training session with his coach. He gets bored while waiting for the session so his coach tells him to play with some old social players who can mainly push and block the ball. The kid’s level is much higher than those oldies so his coach asks him to play them with his backhand only as a way to improve all of his backhand shots. Is this a right advice? I believe that the kid needs to practice forehand to backhand transition like in the real match situations rather than do it all with backhand shots!

Please give me your opinions so I can feed back to the kid’s parent. They are anxious for some answers.Thumbs Up

BTY Amultart

FH Tenergy 05 Black Max

BH Tenergy 64 1.9mm
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 8:55am
There is nothing wrong with it as a drill - it is a footwork test and one of the things higher level players can do is cover more than 2/3 of the table with their backhands.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 9:50am
Nothing wrong with working on your backhand.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 10:28am
If it was me, I would say do it sometimes with only your forehand.  Do it sometimes with only your backhand.  Using only your forehand develops footwork that is a little more realistic.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 11:18am
As said by others, nothing wrong to work on your bh, but there is a risk of forming a bad habit to always step around and use bh even in real matches.

I would more like try to force him to make the transition between fh and bh.
The holy grail
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

As said by others, nothing wrong to work on your bh, but there is a risk of forming a bad habit to always step around and use bh even in real matches.

This is not necessarily a bad habit - it is another way of playing with advantages and disadvantages like anything else.
Cybershape Carbon
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

If it was me, I would say do it sometimes with only your forehand.  Do it sometimes with only your backhand.  Using only your forehand develops footwork that is a little more realistic.

+1
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 12:49pm

Yes, the transitions are also critical.

On the other hand, it is good to be able to make that move if you have a strong BH, though --- as on returns of serve for example. Watch videos of guys like ZJK and Dima, move to favor their BH sometimes. 

It is hard to know what to say without watching this young guy play.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 12:51pm
It pretty good advice really, to develop good touch and control on his BH if he is FH loop/ smash dominant. ...

Who knows, the coach may switch him to FH touch next week...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 1:09pm
It's not your job to question the coaches methods.  For you to go to the parents and tell them that the coach in not doing his job is way, way out of line. 

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 1:13pm

To me it's a weird drill.  You don't want to hit backhands out of the long forehand corner.  Sometimes you can hit short backhands from the short forehand if the spin is the right direction.

I would tell him that anything on the left side of the center line needs to be a backhand.

Edited by cole_ely - 09/18/2014 at 1:15pm
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 2:03pm
I am right hand and I have hit many shots with my b/h on f/h side of the table. I think it is a good practice to get one to feel at ease if they find them self out of position for a f/h shot or stepping around to execute a b/h like stepping around for a f/h. Just my 2 cents.
Shifter
1dennistt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1dennistt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 2:45pm
He may have done this to make playing these players challenging/fun/interesting for everyone involved.  This may be especially true if the stronger player has an especially strong forehand relative to the other players that are there.  

Another time you'll find yourself using your backhand when out of position is in doubles.  Then you'll be glad you practiced it from awkward positions.
Donic Waldner World Champion 1989 ZLC (Inner), Donic BlueStorm Pro (Red) Max, ????? (Black) 1.8 mm)
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 3:08pm
If I am not comfortable using my BH, and there is an opportunity for me to force myself to use and practice my BH by commit to use it on every shot, then why not? Not every drill or practice needs to be a clear advantage, 'Just do it' and the benefit will come, if not try something else Smile.
*_strataras_* View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *_strataras_* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 3:09pm
Every GOOD player should have very high range of opponents.Sorry for my bad english if I made any mistake.I am trying to say that every good player must play with many players with different kind of playing styles.This will help the player to improve his skills.He must play with the opponent who palys 1 year ping pong till the pro player who plays ping pong for decates-with the old-fashion(style) playing game, to the new style player!
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Feedback
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

This is not necessarily a bad habit - it is another way of playing with advantages and disadvantages like anything else.

Well, in my book it is a bad habit since the fh is a stronger shot then the bh. Only exception is the one Baal mentions, return of serve/short balls to the fh side, these can be returned with a bh flip.
The holy grail
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 4:33pm
isnt this the perfect opportunity to have the kid do MANDATORY alternate between FH and BH? It's a bigger handicap than just BH
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 5:02pm

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Well, in my book it is a bad habit since the fh is a stronger shot then the bh. Only exception is the one Baal mentions, return of serve/short balls to the fh side, these can be returned with a bh flip.
William Henzell and Dimitri Ovtcharov amongst others have this bad habit.  It is also an important strategy against certain kinds of players who send you to positions where you can't recover from the wide forehand to use forehands again.
Cybershape Carbon
PingPongTom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 6:43pm
Firstly, I would like to thank all the folks who give their opinions in this topic. I also would like to clarify a few points. I used to coach this kid for free and it was his parents who come to me and ask for an advice. Even I told them my own opinion on this matter, I also said that in the 80’s my coach would throw a hammer to me if I step to the forehand corner to make a backhand flip but now it is a regular shot for advanced players, so I will seek more advices and let them know.
The kid forehand’s attack is much better than his backhand and while I agree that he need to improve on his backhand, I still cannot understand why he has to use his backhand to smash the ball bouncing higher than his shoulder and even move all the way to the forehand side to do it. In the real match situation, you will use the forehand to put away a high ball!
BTY Amultart

FH Tenergy 05 Black Max

BH Tenergy 64 1.9mm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 7:03pm
The coach is just asking the kid to challenge himself. There Kay be better ways, but there is no need to overthink this.
Cybershape Carbon
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by PingPongTom PingPongTom wrote:

Firstly, I would like to thank all the folks who give their opinions in this topic. I also would like to clarify a few points. I used to coach this kid for free and it was his parents who come to me and ask for an advice. Even I told them my own opinion on this matter, I also said that in the 80’s my coach would throw a hammer to me if I step to the forehand corner to make a backhand flip but now it is a regular shot for advanced players, so I will seek more advices and let them know.
The kid forehand’s attack is much better than his backhand and while I agree that he need to improve on his backhand, I still cannot understand why he has to use his backhand to smash the ball bouncing higher than his shoulder and even move all the way to the forehand side to do it. In the real match situation, you will use the forehand to put away a high ball!

Or, he could use the opportunity to practice counterhitting off the bounce with his bh.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by PingPongTom PingPongTom wrote:

Again, you should not try to interfere with the coaches decisions.  Using the excuse that the parents asked you a question is also not right.  If you or the parents have a question, why not ask the coach.  You don't seem to know why the coach is having the kid do this.  Coming to the forum asking us what you should do is also wrong.  We don't know anything about the coach, or what he is trying to do.  Your goal seems to elevate yourself or demean the coach.  Talk to the coach or stay out of it!
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 10:25pm
Forcing oneself to play BH to make it a habit is one thing, but in this case forcing oneself to play BH to gain the confidence is a very different thing, and a very good thing imo.  It's not like the coach advice to use BH as much as you can all the time.
Fehrplay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fehrplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2014 at 5:30pm
It can be really good to train one stroke at the time because it´s easier to focus at one thing. But I can see a problem in playing backhand all over the table because it can affect your footwork in a negative way. It can cause problem when it comes to real matches in the future.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic